PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of racquet stiffness??

Teoman
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I recently experienced two racquets (Yonex rds 003 and yonex rqs 11) which TW specs show to have the same stiffness value: 65. However, as a player of over 25 years, nobody can convince me that this is true... The difference is very obvious, rqs 11 is a very flexible, comfortable stick and rds is 003 is a stiff one that I could not tolerate after a few trials. Maybe the flexibility that I experience with rqs 11 may belong to the neck part while rds 003 is stiff at that point.. Does anyone know how stiffness values are measured and what may cause my dilemma???:confused:

tbini87
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
sorry i don't have any personal experience with these racquets. but i do know that racquets flex in different places, and it can make it feel a lot different. also a lot of people don't really trust flex and stiffness and all that from the tw and say they can be off here and there. i think it is like swing weight in that some racquets swing lighter and heavier than others with the same sw...

dunlopfan
09-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I tried them both and fell in love with the RDS 003. The RQS 11 felt even stiffer and less controlled. (Maybe it was the strings, who knows.)

saram
09-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I am not convinced that what is posted is always accurate in terms of stiffness and swingweight. Each racket is slightly different than the other (even within the same model), and thus each will play slightly different.

Keifers
09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I recently experienced two racquets (Yonex rds 003 and yonex rqs 11) which TW specs show to have the same stiffness value: 65. However, as a player of over 25 years, nobody can convince me that this is true... The difference is very obvious, rqs 11 is a very flexible, comfortable stick and rds is 003 is a stiff one that I could not tolerate after a few trials. Maybe the flexibility that I experience with rqs 11 may belong to the neck part while rds 003 is stiff at that point.. Does anyone know how stiffness values are measured and what may cause my dilemma???:confused:
There's a nice picture of how frame stiffness is measured on a Babolat RDC in the TW Learning Center. Here's the link:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html

I called TW recently and the fulcrum point is 13" from the tip of the frame (12 o'clock).

So, yes, the standard stiffness spec gives only a limited indication of how racquets will flex in actual play, and it's quite possible for two sticks with the same ra to feel very different.

Teoman
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
After reconsideration: stiffness of the material the racquet is made of and the stiffness feeling the racquet gives during play are two different things. Think of new Yonex rqis 2, it has width of 28 mm at some point but is flexible at the neck part which is only 20 mm. My conclusion is that the stiffness value TW states is irrelevant to what you feel on the court. I would like to hear more ideas on this, especially from TW pros.

0d1n
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
There's a nice picture of how frame stiffness is measured on a Babolat RDC in the TW Learning Center. Here's the link:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html

I called TW recently and the fulcrum point is 13" from the tip of the frame (12 o'clock).

So, yes, the standard stiffness spec gives only a limited indication of how racquets will flex in actual play, and it's quite possible for two sticks with the same ra to feel very different.

Very true, the RDC actually is a good indicator of the stiffness in the throat area, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a playing experience consistent with the numbers. Two clear examples of this would be the DNX 10 mid and the Fischer MSpeed Pro no 1 which have flexibility numbers under 60 but feel quite nice and crisp in actual play (due to the head being a bit firmer than the throat).
The playing experience can vary depending on string job as well...

gjoc
09-26-2007, 02:26 AM
My conclusion is that the stiffness value TW states is irrelevant to what you feel on the court.

No, that’s not true--stiffness is relevant--it just isn’t the only thing that’s relevant.

The beam design is also relevant, which is why they also provide (to some extent) that information.

Once you find one racquet whose feel you like, you’re preferences for other racquets will probably gravitate towards those that have similar beam designs.