PDA

View Full Version : Prince Graphite II versus Prince Original Graphite

OneHander
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Okay all you racket experts out there. I am trying to get a good comprison of these rackets both from a specification standpoint and if possible any playing experience that you have had with both. I currently use the Prince Graphite II mid and am considering a switch to the POG mid. I would appreciate input.

goosala
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Are you switching because the frame is hard to find? Both frames are very good for accomplished players. I use the POG mid and really like the feel and power level plus the open string pattern is great for spin. The Graphite II has the same string pattern but just a tad more head size at 95 sq. inches. I would only switch if you are on your last frame. Of course, the POG is a very good switch.

OneHander
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Are you switching because the frame is hard to find? Both frames are very good for accomplished players. I use the POG mid and really like the feel and power level plus the open string pattern is great for spin. The Graphite II has the same string pattern but just a tad more head size at 95 sq. inches. I would only switch if you are on your last frame. Of course, the POG is a very good switch.

Are the power level and flex the same or close?

jayserinos99
09-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I've had experience with both frames and I always felt that the POG mid had more feedback/feel than the Graphite II. I liken it to the Pro Staff 6.0 versus the Pro Staff Classic 6.1. The Graphite II was an easier playing frame than the POG mid. I will say that the people I knew who had the Graphite II and had to switch because the frame was discontinued went with the POG mid.

OneHander
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I've had experience with both frames and I always felt that the POG mid had more feedback/feel than the Graphite II. I liken it to the Pro Staff 6.0 versus the Pro Staff Classic 6.1. The Graphite II was an easier playing frame than the POG mid. I will say that the people I knew who had the Graphite II and had to switch because the frame was discontinued went with the POG mid.

Despite the more feedback/feel with the POG mid what makes you say that the Graphite II was an easier playing frame? Thanks.

jayserinos99
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I believe it has easier access to power than the POG mid; of course it really does rely on technique but all things being equal the Graphite II has a more thicker beam profile and as Goosala said it has a slightly bigger racquet head than the POG mid.

GS
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
While you're at it, demo the Prince NXG midplus---crossbar stabilizer, 27.25" long, 100 sq in head, 63 stiffness, 19 mm straight beam, and 12.2 oz strung. (Don't bother with the NXG mid.) I went from the POG mid, to the Graphite II and now love the NXG. Never thought I'd be playing with a 100 sq in head, but now I am, and I even like the 1/4" more length for serves and volley reach. Plus, they're under $90!

Captain Haddock
09-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I have quite a few PG II MP 5/8s for sale if you want to stay with the same frame.

jayserinos99
09-26-2007, 02:54 PM
While you're at it, demo the Prince NXG midplus---crossbar stabilizer, 27.25" long, 100 sq in head, 63 stiffness, 19 mm straight beam, and 12.2 oz strung. (Don't bother with the NXG mid.) I went from the POG mid, to the Graphite II and now love the NXG. Never thought I'd be playing with a 100 sq in head, but now I am, and I even like the 1/4" more length for serves and volley reach. Plus, they're under $90!

Do you find the NXG Graphite MP too stiff and board-like? I had wanted to try it a while back but someone told me they were a tad bit stiff.

GS
09-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I string mine up at 62 lbs with the soft Tecnifibre 515, the only string I've played with for years---these NXGs feel fine to me, otherwise, I would of gone to a similar stick like the Pure Control or Storm (similar stiffness).
I've always thought that moving up to a slightly bigger headsize is better than moving down a size, especially when you're used to a certain size.

OneHander
09-26-2007, 03:30 PM

I tried the MXG mid plus a couple of years ago and did not like it. I generally have not been a fan of the 100 sq. in. racket or the longer racket. I have tested several rackets with 100 sq. in head and none of them felt right.

I have narrowed my list down to the POG mid and a couple of the Tecnifibre rackets (T-Fight 320 and 335 with the 16X20 string pattern).

I used the POG mid a long time ago until Prince decided for a short period of time to discontinue the POG. It came back after about a year and a half but I had switched to the Prince Graphite II. I have had those rackets since 1992and think it is time for some new sticks.

Thanks for your input.

goosala
09-27-2007, 06:59 AM
The Graphite II is stiffer and seems more head heavy than the POG mid. Yes, it has more power because of these two factors. The head is slightly larger as well.

Gforce
11-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I love the Pog!
I'm 12 and I play with it.
It's the best ever.