PDA

View Full Version : microgel radical pro 100 vs prince orange speedport

markwillplay
09-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I am demoing both of these. Looking for something with a little bit more of a buttery feel than my Yonnex Ti-80. These weigh a little less and were recommended for me to try. Just curious if anyone has hit with them both. Serve and volleyer with 1hbh. I hit with spin sw forhand. Always looking to attack short balls and come in. I have good touch at net. I like the yonnex but it does feel a little hollow on off center shots. I don't hate it, just not sure that I want to live with it for a long time.

I will demo other sticks soon as well (joined a demo club for a month to pick one). I started to demo the wilson 95 as it felt really solid but I thought it might be a bit heavy for me even though it felt really manueverable. Might get that one next week.

counterpuncher
09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
If you are coming from a Ti-80 then the RDS002 Tour is definitely worth a demo.

markwillplay
09-25-2007, 08:01 PM
juast reading the reviews of that one had me thinking it would be to heavy and clumsy at net. I hve been playing the ti-80 with 3/8 grip which is lighter than the bigger gripped one. I also have a ti80 with 4 1/2 grip and it is too heavy (12.6) for me to play with for long matches. I am plenty strong and athletic but I think my swingspeed is slowing down and my technique breaks down. I think there is a big difference in the two ti80s for sure. I am still playing with the lighter version and like it OK but I wanted a more dampened feel.

If they have the rds tour I will probably give it a go. I am going to try that wilson also I think as it is heavy but very headlight. these two sticks are lighter but a little less headlight. Not sure which I will like better.

KFwinds
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
If want a more dampened feel, try the Prince O3 Tour; mid or midplus.

markwillplay
09-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Well I got a chance to hit with both today for a while. Here is my take so far but I will play a match tomorrow. Still can't believe more people have not played with these...I think I am being ignored:confused:

ground stokes
The head rad pro seemed to have less power and maybe a bit less spin. I was hitting the Prince a little longer with the same stroke but also felt like I could pull the ball down quicker with it if I had to. The Head had a really solid sweet spot though and I could really take a rip a little flatter and keep it in. Bottom line is that on my forhand, I would have no trouble with either. I think if I controled the Prince well I may hit more winners with the same strokes. I loved the muted feel of the Prince actually but somehow the stick felt like it was longer. The Pro felt more like it was part of my arm. Both seemed comfy to me.

Volleys
I liked them both. I think I got more punch from the prince but loved the pocket feel of the pro too. I think I would have to put more umph into volleys with the pro to get them deep but I will know more about that tomorrow.

Serve
I immediately noticed that the Pro was eay for me to control. Seemed to serve eay right from the start. I also noticed that I would have to work fairly hard to generate pace. Still serves felt crisp with it. The prince took longer to dial in but I think I could get better power with less effort and spin on serves was great.

Over all I think a lazy swing would send the ball longer with the prince but I also think that once you have good control of that stick it would be a more lethal weapon. I guess it's crazy but as good as the prince felt, thee was something sweet about the pro that I liked. Maybe it was the buttery but not so damp feeling when hitting the sweet spot. I wil play a match tomorrow and serve and volley with them both. That should tell me more. I think that if my serves reallly sit up like I think they might with the Pro then I would lean against getting it and more towards the prince.

Now, anyone else played with either of these sticks for an extended period of time that can comment?

MetsJetsRebels
09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Microgel Radical Pro. It is easily the best stick I have ever hit with. The control, top spin, volleys, everything is great. I actually get a lot of pace on my first serve(flat serve) and get quite a few aces. The weight takes a little time to get used to, but after that, it is an absolutely sweet racket, and my groundstrokes have become much better and consistent since getting it.

Dumbledore
10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Microgel Radical Pro. It is easily the best stick I have ever hit with. The control, top spin, volleys, everything is great. I actually get a lot of pace on my first serve(flat serve) and get quite a few aces. The weight takes a little time to get used to, but after that, it is an absolutely sweet racket, and my groundstrokes have become much better and consistent since getting it.

Is it a true 100 sq/in or less since Head measures head size from outisde? How is the spins (not top and back) access? Thanks

blubber
10-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't think the Radical Pro has a buttery feeling. It is solid and not uncomfortable. But both my Pros are strung with polys.

I played with the Volkl Tour 10 Gen 1 and the i.prestige mid for a little while, I thought they had a buttery feeling.