PDA

View Full Version : Stiffer rackets?? what do they do??

me is bored
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
i never really thought of this. i always thought that the stiffer the racket, the more tennis elbow you get haha. but what does it do?

tbini87
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
it should be more powerful because it doesn't flex as much. but remember that stiffness is not the only thing that goes into how powerful a racquet is...

me is bored
09-25-2007, 07:23 PM
ya im wondering because the aero storm has 66 stiffness and the LM Prestige Mid has 61 stiffness. i was thinking this would cause more tennis elbow but it has cortex so it wouldnt make much of a difference. itd just make the aero storm more powerful right?

krz
09-25-2007, 07:53 PM
more powerful and they are generally more forgiving also.

jeffreyfranz
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
i never really thought of this. i always thought that the stiffer the racket, the more tennis elbow you get haha. but what does it do? TWANG! That's the tendon in your elbow letting go. :-D

fuzz nation
09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Of course it depends on how you swing a racquet and the type and tension of strings it has, but a stiffer one will have a quicker transfer of energy with the ball since it doesn't bend away from it as much on impact. For me, that translates into more pop on my volleys and serves, but off center hits feel more harsh.

I also get better spin from frames with more flex - I think because they have a little more dwell on the stringbed and get a little more time to get the ball rotating. It doesn't seem that the density of the stringbed is too much of a factor for my spin production - I've gotten crazy rotation on shots with really flexible racquets that had very dense patterns.

I like a frame that I can volley crisply with (some extra weight helps), but is also flexible enough to let me make enough spin to keep the ball down on the court without using an exotic swing or an extreme grip.

hyogen
11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
give me (and other newbs like me with bad technique) tennis elbow.

I don't think cortex makes that much of a difference. the stiffness is still 70.

quest01
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
A stiffer racket generally means more power.

Willy H.
11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
more power and less torsion on off-center shots, making it more forgiving

netman
11-08-2007, 03:28 PM
When you take weight away from a frame you have to increase the stiffness to add back power lost due to the loss of mass. A light, flexible frame is basically a noodle. A heavy, stiff frame is going to be an arm killer.

-k-