PDA

View Full Version : Future of ProKennex

keithchircop
09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
We are out of [Redondo mids] stock with no more currently available.

ProKennex are still in business but are focusing on racquetball only at present. No plans we are aware of for future tennis racquet sales.

Chris, TW.

So it finally happened.

Deuce
09-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Is the racquetball racquet market significantly less crowded than the tennis racquet market?
If not, does anyone know the reason for their decision?

Kevin T
09-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Is the racquetball racquet market significantly less crowded than the tennis racquet market?
If not, does anyone know the reason for their decision?

Deuce,

There were only five companies (Wilson, Head, Ektelon (Prince), E-force and ProKennex) making racquetball racquets until this year (a new company called Gearbox jumped in). Of course, there are far fewer racquetball players than tennis players in North America, so it's probably all relative. A lot of what I've heard is second hand but I have spoken to a PK-sponsored racquetball Pro where I live (San Diego) and apparently just as TW stated, PK is concentrating on racquetball. Mike Martinez, a former world-class racquetball player that has been with PK for years, was recently named the director of "fall" sports for North America. "Fall" sports include racquetball, squash and badminton, though it seems unlikely that PK will even continue in squash and badminton in NA, as they are a VERY small fish in those sports. My numerous inquiries regarding PK tennis have gone unanswered, so I can only assume it's not a good option financially and/or distribution/patent issues can't be resolved. It's a shame, because I really love PK's products in all racquet sports.

LuckyR
09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Guess I'm glad I got that extra stick when this all started...

daddy.dirtsurfer
09-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Actually ProKennex is still running slowly. You can ask Xube as he is part of partnership with someone to keep this business alive.

Redondo still sell some. Best to contact XUbe and he is Singapore. I got 2 Redondo Mids from him without any problem. Even I plan to get grommets from him.

Hopefully they will make more racquets in the years to come as long as the marketing department get the right solution.

cghipp
09-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Guess I'm glad I got that extra stick when this all started...Just yesterday I was thinking that I needed to get rid of a couple of my extras. Guess not!

AndrewD
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Is that ProKennex, the entire company, or just ProKennex in North America?

I ask because racquetball, while it is played in other countries, is a marginal, marginal sport everywhere except for the United Sports. Seems odd that ProKennex international would choose concentrate on a sport that doesn't have the international appeal and marketing potential of squash, tennis or badminton.

daddy.dirtsurfer
09-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Is that ProKennex, the entire company, or just ProKennex in North America?

I ask because racquetball, while it is played in other countries, is a marginal, marginal sport everywhere except for the United Sports. Seems odd that ProKennex international would choose concentrate on a sport that doesn't have the international appeal and marketing potential of squash, tennis or badminton.

I do know that PK is still running in Asia and that is Singapore.

DavidGarcia
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Any updated about the future of Pro Kennex?

Glad I just got mine Redondo..........so happy to get it!plays so smoothly!How can these racket not sell many many more?

Kevin T
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I actually spoke with Mike Martinez of PK North America yesterday. I knew PK was alive in NA with racquetball but asked if they would still be distributing squash, badminton and tennis. His answer was "PK North America will continue to distribute racquetball, squash and badminton products. However, tennis has yet to be re-organized". PK International is still making tennis racquets but PK North America is out of the tennis game for the moment.

DavidGarcia
10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the update Kevin.

Commando Tennis Shorts
11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Any new news on this?

Dumbledore
11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I can say that for Italy there're still operating. unfurtunately here we don't heave Redondos but I've contacted them for the Ki5x and the Herytage C 98 Seppi and there wasn't any problem in finding them