PDA

View Full Version : MG Radical Pro and FP Radical Tour?

TripleB
09-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I demoed the Head Microgel Radical Pro about 3 weeks ago and the Head Flexpoint Radical Tour when it came out.

Can anyone compare the MG Rad Pro and FP Rad Tour, especially in terms of power, control, maneuverability, and feel?

The only thing I really remember about demoing the FP Rad Tour is that it had excellent spin and I only hit with it for two of the seven days because it felt so much heavier than the other three racquets I demoed at the time.

Thanks.

TripleB

PS: and if you can't compare either to the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus it would be great.

Gee
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I own the FXP Radical Tour. So I can tell you what the pro and cons are of this racket.
Because of its relatively heavy weight you can hit great solid groundstrokes if you have a proper technique (with full swings). Too, due to the bigger headsize it is easier to generate spin. So it is well suited for baseliners.
The downside of this sledgehammer is its less maneuverability on quick exchanges with volleys. But if you're in time you can play firm volleys with it. When you practice on this area this con can be neutralized or minimized.
Overall the FXP Radical Tour is a very comfortable flexible racket. Maybe too demanding for most intermediate players, because this racket force you to swing full strokes.
However I wish the FXP Radical Tour was a little lighter and easier to volley with because I like to play at net and I noticed more difficulties with fast reactions during playing doubles.
So I would like to know how the MG Radical Pro compares to the FXP Radical Tour on those areas.
I hope I could give you useful information and that you can give me the same:)

TripleB
09-26-2007, 07:35 AM
I hope I could give you useful information and that you can give me the same:)

Thanks for the info....as far as the MG Radical Pro is concerned, I really liked it. Excellent spin potential, great kick serves, good control (not quite as good as my RDX500MP), quick at net, plays lighter than my 11.7 ounce RDX500MP even though it's supposed to be 11.7 ounces also and more headlight, decent power with no flyers, and has a wonderful flex to it. From what little I remember about the Flexpoint Radical Tour I don't think the MG Rad Pro is quite as solid feeling, especially at the upper hoop area.

Thanks again for your response.

TripleB

Wheelz
09-26-2007, 12:38 PM
For the FXP Tour...you said it needed a full swing to hit a solid ball... isn't a good thing ? that it forces you to make a good stroke ? If I play with a light light racquet I feel that I sometimes get lazy and swing more with my arm... When I go hit with my heavy racquet I feel my torso and legs generating the power, like if I had no choice. same in golf, I swing better with a heavier club.

rkwei
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
My son has just switched from 6 FXP Rad Tours to 5 MG Rad Pros. Not sure this will be helpful but here goes:

FXPRTs: are weighted to 370gr and 5.8 pts HL, strung full CyberFlash 17 @ 55lbs, versus MG RadPros: are weighted to 360 gr and 6pts HL, strung w/ Blue Gear/Iso Speed @ 54/60. The swingweights calc out to the hi 340s for either set of sticks.

The MG Rad Pro is naturally higher powered due to the stiffer flex so there was no need to go for a similar static weight as the FXPRTs. Full swings & good technique on MGRP produces a slightly heavier ball. The MGRP has a crisper response (no hot spots in the hoop). They both have excellent control - no advantage to either. The MGRP has slightly better pace on serving but no more spin or accuracy. Volleys are about dead even - slightly better feel on the MGRP but that could be due to the hybrid. Overheads - advantage MGRP for whatever reason. Grip shape - a little different on the MGRP - less "rectangular" and more natural?

Gee
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
For the FXP Tour...you said it needed a full swing to hit a solid ball... isn't a good thing ? that it forces you to make a good stroke ? If I play with a light light racquet I feel that I sometimes get lazy and swing more with my arm... When I go hit with my heavy racquet I feel my torso and legs generating the power, like if I had no choice. same in golf, I swing better with a heavier club.

Yes I agree with you that it is a good thing you are forced to swing a full stroke. Therefore my groundstrokes have been improved a lot. When I hit through the ball it often results in an amazing shot. However I have with the FXP Tour more difficulties with quick reflex volleys during playing doubles while this is usually one of my strongest weapons. I want that back.
Before the FXP Radical Tour I used to play with Dunlop Muscle Weave Tour Pro (similar to Dunlop Aerogel 200 16x19) which was about 327 gr. Less powerful solid groundstrokes but more manueverable and thus a quicker net game than the FXP Radical Tour.
So I am looking for a racket with the best of both worlds. Maybe the MG Radical Pro meets my requirements. I will demo that one.
Any other recommendations are welcome. :)

blubber
09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I've been playing with the Mirogel Rad Pro for the last 3 weeks.

I agree with everything positive that is said. Good spin on groundstrokes and second serves. Nice power. Heavy ball. Decent control. The frame seems to punch above its weight. Etc.

Here are some things I don't like.

While not harsh, I don't find the frame to be comfortable. Maybe it's the string - I'm playing full SPPP, but at a very low tension.

I find the frame a little tough to get around. I'm late on more forehand shots than I should be.

Flat serves aren't that great.

Maybe things will get better with practice. So far I like it. My hitting partners say that I'm tougher to play against.

Gee
09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I've been playing with the Mirogel Rad Pro for the last 3 weeks.

I agree with everything positive that is said. Good spin on groundstrokes and second serves. Nice power. Heavy ball. Decent control. The frame seems to punch above its weight. Etc.

Here are some things I don't like.

While not harsh, I don't find the frame to be comfortable. Maybe it's the string - I'm playing full SPPP, but at a very low tension.

I find the frame a little tough to get around. I'm late on more forehand shots than I should be.

Flat serves aren't that great.

Maybe things will get better with practice. So far I like it. My hitting partners say that I'm tougher to play against.

Try Head Rip Control. A very soft natural gut like string.