PDA

View Full Version : LaserFibre - What tension ?

eqx
03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
I will be getting a LaserFibre ECO soon :D

My Head LiquidMetal 4 is strung at 60lb with Wilson NXT at the local pro-shop on a Prince Neos.

For LaserFibre Pheonom and Supreme strings, what are your recommended string tensions ? Comments on how these 2 string play and feel?

Gaines Hillix
03-18-2004, 09:28 AM
The rule of thumb most stringers use is that a constant pull machine like the ECO will produce a stringbed that is about 10% stiffer than a crank machine. So, if you want to achieve the same stiffness drop the tension by about 10%. Supreme has a crisp feel and I like it a lot. Phenom is slightly softer, but still firm feeling for a multi. NXT is softer than both of these strings. When changing strings, I use the same tension as I normally do and then adjust from there so I am only introducing one variable at a time.

RacquetDoctor
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
If you purchased the model with the flying clamps, you might want to think about stringing it at the same tension....There can be a big difference between floating /flying and fixed clamp results...

Mark

eqx
03-19-2004, 06:44 AM
I got the fixed clamp model.

From your advise, sounds like I should string at 54lb i.e. subtract 10% x 60 = 6.

Thanks for the help. I will write back with my experience.

eqx
03-24-2004, 07:48 AM
I did my first string job on the drop weight ECO with double action fixed clamps. The machine is very solid and easy to assemble and fits on a small table. The clamps are solid; no slippage, smooth gliding and easy positioning for mains and crosses. The biggest selling point was the tension consistency afforded by not "worrying" about the drop weight horizontal positioning.

Tim (Laserfibre) spent over 2 hours with me on the phone guiding me through the stringing details. Much thanks to Tim. FYI - Silent Partner has an excellent video on stringing which provided great background and visual re-inforcement during the striinging.

On my Head LiquidMetal 4, I switched from NXT 16 60lb. to Laserfibre Supreme Pheonom 16 60 lb. I followed Gaines' and Tim recommendation about changing 1 thing at a time. The ball flew off with - too much power. I need another few days of hitting to get a better feel.

Is this the nature of Pheonom?

Should I up the tension to 62 lb?

Would Supreme be better?

Gaines Hillix
03-24-2004, 09:53 AM
eqx, I am suprised that you found the Phenom to be that much more powerful than NXT, which is not known as a low powered string by any means. How long had the NXT been in your frame? Maybe it had been in your racquet for quite a while and had lost a lot of its resilience/elasticity?