PDA

View Full Version : True confessions of a midsize racquet addict

LafayetteHitter
09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
For years I have been playing midsized racquets. Recently I looked around on the courts often and realized I was the only one on a typical day playing a midsized frame. I had always been convinced that the midsized frame (whichever one I was on at the time) produced my best results and allowed me to enjoy the feel of the ball more so than other larger racquets. Recently I decided that I would make an attempt at harnessing the power of a midplus 98-100" frame. So far I have hit with three different frames in this category. Most recently the Speedport Black with which I have begun to realize that adjusting my strokes for a little more spin and playing a racquet that imparts a bit more spin on the racquet can be a key to winning some key points in a match. It took some effort and honestly I went through some withdrawals thinking I was giving up something that I would miss. There will always be guys out hitting midsize frames but for myself I have realized that a racquet that makes it just a little easier can bring some added joy to the game. I am posting this because I have always been around reading everything I could and honestly I think it is due to this forum that I found my way to some of the best tennis I have ever played.

jelle v
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Why immediately go from 90 to 98-100? Why not go for 95" :confused:

LafayetteHitter
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Just ended up hitting with the Black by accident after stringing it for my girlfriend actually. I brought it out to hit and was really imprssed with the results so I continued to use it since then. I have 3 brand new Head Prestige Classics plus my frames I have been using. Never thought I would be considering giving them up.

Captain Haddock
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
There is a good home not far from yours waiting for these Prestige Classics, my friend. I'll take good care of them... :-)

LafayetteHitter
09-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey Fabrice, I actually just received another new one last week right before deciding I would work on switching to a midplus. Not sure what I am going to end up doing. I'm hitting the ball pretty consistent with some good power with the Speedport though.

Slazenger
09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I can play very good tennis with head size ranges from 90 to 110 sq in.

I currently use a 95 sq in but it isn't the head size but the specific feel the particular racquet has that i like.
My second best racquet is 108sq in.

I used to use a 90sq in racquet and I played very good tennis with it as well.

Look at the players on tour. Kolya's racquet is not a midsize. Most players do not play with a midsize.

bee
09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Somewhat similar situation here.

I've been using the LM Prestige Mid with natural gut for some time, but became frustrated with hitting so many hard groundstokes long. I decided to try a spin-friendly racquet:

Bought an AeroPro Drive Cortex, std. length. Strung it with ALU Power Rough 16 in the mains and VS natural gut 17 in the crosses, both at 55#. So far, it's been pretty nice. It felt way too light, so I put 3 wraps of lead tape around the lower handle flare, put a TournaGrip II on, and have been enjoying it so far. It's not nearly as harsh as I thought it'd be. Maybe the cortex works.

And, the somewhat stiff and muted feel is actually quite controllable. My drop and chop shots are better because of all the bite, and my groundstrokes are somewhat better because of the spin.

Biggest surprise was the serving. More spin and a higher percentage going in.

Bee

MichaelChang
09-26-2007, 02:47 PM
LafayetteHitter, I sent you a message asking about the Prestiges you have. very interested if you would considering selling one.

bagung
09-26-2007, 05:44 PM
from the mid going to speedport, don't you find a big difference in "feel"...?
i once own o3 tourMP, and have no "feel" compare to my dnx-10 mid....

Richie Rich
09-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey Fabrice, I actually just received another new one last week right before deciding I would work on switching to a midplus. Not sure what I am going to end up doing. I'm hitting the ball pretty consistent with some good power with the Speedport though.

new PC go for about $250 now if that makes your decision easier. sure made mine an easy one

Bhagi Katbamna
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Don't worry. You aren't any less of a man because you don't use a Wilson PS 85 or a Head Prestige Classic. Play with the racket that lets you play the best.

Strawberry
09-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I liked playing with Oversize, but I recently started playing with Mid+. I'm still 50/50 on which one produces more consistency and better shots, it seems my OS will generate more power, where as the Mid+ will spin the ball like crazy. Then again, it could just be the string/racquet I'm using.

ProStaff Legend
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
my range for racquets is 90-107, best with racquets with 95-100. i found that when i switch to larger racquets, the first week playin with them is a joy. but after that, i always come back cuz i miss the control

bruinduke
09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I just had the opposite revelation. Grew up playing with the POG mid, and then when I took up the game again, I switched to the C10 pro thinking I needed a little more firepower. Just never felt right playing the mid plus, so after stopping playing again I went to iPrestige mid when I started up for the 2nd time. Well after another couple years off I started playing again and demoing all the mid plus racquets that I could find. After trying out a few of the new generation of larger frames, I settled on the K90.

#1 reason going back to mid was that the gains I made in my backhand with the larger heads was offset by losing my biggest asset, my forehand. Just didn't have confidence to swing out with the 95+ head sizes.

armand
09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm giving Mid+ one last try and so I think I'll be leaving behind my Mids. The Yonex RDti80 is 1 sweet frame; low power, great control and spin, and very stable. And 315 stock SW.
I've strung her up with sppp1.18 63/62 and put on the fabulous TW pleather grip.

Can't wait to try her again in this new skin!

Also, gonna try my glorious PS85(not the 6.0!) that's been strung up with Kirschbaum Competition 1.2mm. Can't wait to smack a forehand or hit a nasty-*** slice and get to net baby!

ananda
09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
opposite, started with Head OS (115"), moved to 98" PD, and now PS 95". never liked the OS, PD was so-so, PS95 just gr8.

Deuce
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I can play very good tennis with head size ranges from 90 to 110 sq in.

I currently use a 95 sq in but it isn't the head size but the specific feel the particular racquet has that i like.
My second best racquet is 108sq in.

I used to use a 90sq in racquet and I played very good tennis with it as well.
That's precisely it - it's not the head size that matters most, it's the make up of the frame (weight, balance, flex, ingredients, etc.) that results in good or not so good tennis.

Way too much emphasis is put on head size. Given the same variables (weight, balance, flex, ingredients, strings, tension, etc.), 99% of people will hit no better and no worse with a 90 sq. in. frame than with a 98 sq. in. frame.

esm
09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
i once own o3 tourMP, and have no "feel" compare to my dnx-10 mid....

yes, thats true - the O3 Tour MP have no feel.
I had a hit with the FXP Prestige MP last night for the very first time, what a reaquet, it felt totally different to the O3 Tour MP. i sure it'd only get better from now on.
i think i have found a new toy for me.

Automatix
09-26-2007, 11:45 PM
I think that beam width, weight distribution, flex and so on have greater impact on your game... you can find very good Midplus racquets and crappy Mids... Mids do look better though...

I couldn't find a Midplus racquet perfect for me... I've hit with the MW 200G 90 and fell in love with it, my M-Fil 200s can't compare to this piece of art...

LafayetteHitter
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
For now I am keeping the Prestige that I have left since I do enjoy the feel these so much. I recently listed a couple but they are no longer available. I had a few people message me asking but i'm keeping what is remaining just in case I end up back on a mid at some point I won't have to search for the Prestige frames again.

LafayetteHitter
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I also found the O3 Tour to lack in the feel dept. Midsize frames are very predictable in my opinion as far as the whole spectrum of midsize frames go. Midplus are very different, there are only a handful of decent feeling frames out of a large assortment of them. Any larger than 100" and I find the pocketing feel goes away completely. I'm sure there are a few frames out there over 100" that have some pocketing feel to the ball but I think there a very few.

Automatix
09-27-2007, 03:00 AM
If I had to choose a Midplus frame at this point I would only consider Wilson nBlade, very flexible, 18x20 pattern but definetly to light... I think if racquet companies went that way, I mean flexible, heavier thin beam frames some mid users actually could switch... in theory Fischer makes frames somewhat similar but somethings missing e.g. some people don't find the low spec sheet flex as low as it should be, I've read somewhere on this forum that the flex is more like 66!

Peter Szucs
09-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Before i thought that an intermediate player like me (4.0-4.5) will always play more efficiently with 95inch plus frames bc they will give you more consistency and margin for error. Now i think that this is not true. One will play better with a frame size that is better suited for his/her strokes and game style. Hard hitters, strong players and long swing type players will in general prefer a mid over anything bigger since they will appreciate the amount of control they get without suffering from lack of power while short swingers or weaker individuals will like the bigger headsize better. In one word a midsize frame is not something to avoid by default for anyone. imo.

keithchircop
09-27-2007, 04:27 AM
MPs are more powerful than mids. I hit the ball hard; to keep the ball in with MPs I have to use spin, spin, spin. I don't like my opponent knowing how I'll strike the ball.

armand
09-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Before i thought that an intermediate player like me (4.0-4.5) will always play more efficiently with 95inch plus frames bc they will give you more consistency and margin for error. Now i think that this is not true. One will play better with a frame size that is better suited for his/her strokes and game style. Hard hitters, strong players and long swing type players will in general prefer a mid over anything bigger since they will appreciate the amount of control they get without suffering from lack of power while short swingers or weaker individuals will like the bigger headsize better. In one word a midsize frame is not something to avoid by default for anyone. imo.Exactly, dead on good post.

When I started tennis again I had an uncontrollable urge to smack everyball as hard as I could. Couldn't control many racquets....

So many years later I think I've settled down a bit and will try a Mid+ once more.

bad_call
09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
if i could find a MP that works for my topspin, slice, flat 1HBH, i'd jump on it. i posted a thread for the 1HFH and 1HBH players to post their racquet. maybe some worthy MPs will appear for us Mid die hards. :)

sunflowerhx
09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
For me there's very little difference between a 90 and a 95 sq racket.

More important is the thickness of the frame.
I prefer to play with a beam thickness of no more than 20mm.

Just so much more maneuverable with a thinner frame.

My fav racket is a Dunlop Revelation - 18mm and 95sq.

bad_call
09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
For me there's very little difference between a 90 and a 95 sq racket.

More important is the thickness of the frame.
I prefer to play with a beam thickness of no more than 20mm.

Just so much more maneuverable with a thinner frame.

My fav racket is a Dunlop Revelation - 18mm and 95sq.

if you hit with a 1HBH, how is the topspin with this one?

sunflowerhx
09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
if you hit with a 1HBH, how is the topspin with this one?

I do have a 1HBH - no problem with heavy top spin although the Dunlop Revelation Classic is a 16x20.

bad_call
09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I do have a 1HBH - no problem with heavy top spin although the Dunlop Revelation Classic is a 16x20.

thanks for the reply. btw - i haven't had any problem with spin on my 18x20 racquet. however all racquets 18x20 are not equal.

0d1n
09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
bad_call - I'm currently giving the MSpeed Pro 1 SL's an extended go coming from the DNX 10 Mid which I used for more than a year. Don't have problems with BH topspin with either of them...they are both great rackets.
My BH seems more consistent with the MSpeeds, as it's easier to get around and not get caught hitting late, but I can hurt the ball (and the opponent) more with the DNX...it's all about trade offs in life :(.

netman
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
LafayetteHitter,

Good for you. Tennis is about having fun and enjoying your time on the court.

-k-

vkartikv
09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
The prestige and ps 85 can still work today! It's the k90 and rds crap that makes you feel like an idiot out there. You take 100% graphite or graphite-kevlar and you can't go wrong. Besides, is there really that much of a difference between the headsizes of a mid and midplus?

bad_call
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
The prestige and ps 85 can still work today! It's the k90 and rds crap that makes you feel like an idiot out there. You take 100% graphite or graphite-kevlar and you can't go wrong. Besides, is there really that much of a difference between the headsizes of a mid and midplus?

funny you mention that. i was just looking at the 85 and thinking about giving it a go again. as i recall, the sweetspot is smallish and my body position had to be there for a good hit.

vkartikv
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
funny you mention that. i was just looking at the 85 and thinking about giving it a go again. as i recall, the sweetspot is smallish and my body position had to be there for a good hit.

I am not a great player but I spent quite a few yrs with the ps 85 and loved it. If you like to hit flat and hit out at every ball, this one's for you. As for the sweetspot being small, that's all a function of strings and lead.

bad_call
09-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I am not a great player but I spent quite a few yrs with the ps 85 and loved it. If you like to hit flat and hit out at every ball, this one's for you. As for the sweetspot being small, that's all a function of strings and lead.

i spent a few years with the ps 85 as well. got pretty good at hitting with it. however i got older and the 1HBH topspin started to suffer. glad i found the mid i have now...cause it's way easier.

bagung
09-27-2007, 06:24 PM
since i use the dnx-10 mid, i get hooked to the "feel", the flex , the power ..
however after 2 hrs of play, i started to find the mid is too demanding. i was looking for "less demanding" racquets since then, had tried m-fil300, apd with cortex, dnx-10MP 295g.....with no success..
came back to dnx-10 mid, replaced the leather with original grip, reduced the head tape, takes out the vibration dampener and finally able to reduce the weight from 372g to 348-354g.
now i can play with the mid for long hours w/o finding it too demanding...
and next week will try to use 18g string to makes the weight even lower than the current one....
i will stay on my mid as long as i can, as i just cannot find the better feel racquets than the one i had....

kinsella
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I have long loved mids because I just like the way it feels when you hit the ball, especially serving. I never had any problem finding the sweet spot, least of all on my C10 PTs. Time waits for no one, however, and I finally had to admit at 56 that I needed more pop. It was a coincidence that the Bab Pure Storm Tour is 98". It does not seem to have a bigger sweet spot (maybe smaller), but it gets a little more power out of the 98" head and slightly stiffer frame. I tried it based on specs and bought it based on results. It still does not hit as sweet as my mids, but my return game improved drastically, so I had to move on.

Anton
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
If I had to choose a Midplus frame at this point I would only consider Wilson nBlade, very flexible, 18x20 pattern but definetly to light... I think if racquet companies went that way, I mean flexible, heavier thin beam frames some mid users actually could switch... in theory Fischer makes frames somewhat similar but somethings missing e.g. some people don't find the low spec sheet flex as low as it should be, I've read somewhere on this forum that the flex is more like 66!

You should give Fischer FT Pro #1 (black and red 300g unstrung) a try.

MG Radical feels similar to that fischer, but with weight distribution a little less polarized and a more closed string pattern.

Both blow nBlade out of the water imo

quest01
09-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Don't worry. You aren't any less of a man because you don't use a Wilson PS 85 or a Head Prestige Classic. Play with the racket that lets you play the best.

Exactly i dont play with a racket just because Federer uses it or try to impress others into thinking that i may be good because im using a mid. I use whatever racket i play my best with and that certainly isnt a mid. Ive played with a few mids before but i felt my game wasnt going anywhere except downhill.

tennis_hand
09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Finally someone has spoken the truth.

but stubborn people are still out there and even argue more stubbornly.

sargeinaz
09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Exactly i dont play with a racket just because Federer uses it or try to impress others into thinking that i may be good because im using a mid. I use whatever racket i play my best with and that certainly isnt a mid. Ive played with a few mids before but i felt my game wasnt going anywhere except downhill.

I would venture to say thats the truth with 80 percent of people who use mids.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_bike_is_quicker_kawasaki_zx_-14_or_suzuki_hayabusa)

Keifers
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
It's good to know your limitations. ;) :D

Deuce
09-27-2007, 11:14 PM

I would venture to say that the latter statement is complete BS.
It's people like you who give people the ridiculous idea that mids are virtually impossible to play with, and are definitely a grave handicap.

I always find it amusing when I read a post from a player who hit with an old standard size frame for the first time ever, and hit beautifully with it. They are always amazed that they didn't frame every shot, because people like you have led them to fear the midsize (or smaller) frame, and to believe that any racquet smaller than 95 sq. in. is virtually impossible to hit with.
I like posts like that because it shows that the 'theory' that smaller racquets are virtually impossible to play with is utter BS.

It's so easy to blame the smaller headsize... but the reality is that if a mid doesn't work for someone, it's almost always due to other factors (weight, balance, flex, etc.) that don't correspond with the person's game.

As I stated earlier, all variables being equal, very, very few people would play differently with a 90 sq. in. frame than with a 95 or 98 sq. in. frame.

BreakPoint
09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
That's precisely it - it's not the head size that matters most, it's the make up of the frame (weight, balance, flex, ingredients, etc.) that results in good or not so good tennis.

Way too much emphasis is put on head size. Given the same variables (weight, balance, flex, ingredients, strings, tension, etc.), 99% of people will hit no better and no worse with a 90 sq. in. frame than with a 98 sq. in. frame.
But the fact of the matter is, even with all else being equal, the racquet with the larger head will give you more power and more spin just due to the larger stringbed. (Greater trampoline effect and more open string pattern.) And this is a Mid user speaking.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I would venture to say that the latter statement is complete BS.
It's people like you who give people the ridiculous idea that mids are virtually impossible to play with, and are definitely a grave handicap.

I always find it amusing when I read a post from a player who hit with an old standard size frame for the first time ever, and hit beautifully with it. They are always amazed that they didn't frame every shot, because people like you have led them to fear the midsize (or smaller) frame, and to believe that any racquet smaller than 95 sq. in. is virtually impossible to hit with.
I like posts like that because it shows that the 'theory' that smaller racquets are virtually impossible to play with is utter BS.

It's so easy to blame the smaller headsize... but the reality is that if a mid doesn't work for someone, it's almost always due to other factors (weight, balance, flex, etc.) that don't correspond with the person's game.

As I stated earlier, all variables being equal, very, very few people would play differently with a 90 sq. in. frame than with a 95 or 98 sq. in. frame.

I started playing during the wood era. Then through the mid-size phase. I skipped the ceramic, boron, magnesium etc..phase. Played with a moderate wide-body. Believe me, I play much better with the PS 95 than I ever played with a midsize. I tried a Fischer PT 100 and I get much more spin with about the same velocity. And, my arm gets less tired.

Alafter
09-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I agree with many of the posters here. I believe that there is tons of players out there who can control the ball well with their OS racquets. So I dont really think OS really has 'less control', it just has more power relative to a smaller frame. So in the end maybe it all boils down to whose hands the racquet is in.

I don't deny that MID takes a LOT more talent (hitting dead center of racquet face or close to produce hits) to play with, but I still stand that OS in the right hand of the right user will be able to perform no less than a mid user.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-28-2007, 12:44 AM
OS having less control would be news to Andre Agassi.

Alafter
09-28-2007, 01:40 AM
OS having less control would be news to Andre Agassi.

I refuse to quote Andre Agassi when arguing about OS racquets because he is one example of a world class player who uses OS amongst the ocean of pros out there. It's not very convincing--it could be interpret as to be able to get that good with OS is extraordinary since he is the only one to achieve that much with OS.

sargeinaz
09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
But the fact of the matter is, even with all else being equal, the racquet with the larger head will give you more power and more spin just due to the larger stringbed. (Greater trampoline effect and more open string pattern.) And this is a Mid user speaking.

Thank you. I think duece got a little too upset, especially since hes incorrect, but whatever use what you like. I could care less what the next man uses, its just amusing to see people use 90 inch frames or PS85s who would play better using a 95 or 98 inch frame and probably enjoy the game more because of it.
________
Cumshot vid (http://www.****tube.com/categories/17/cumshot/videos/1)

MichaelChang
09-28-2007, 01:10 PM
People have brought up very good points here. I would also agree that many recreational players use (or buy) K90 because of Federer, or buy PS85 because of Sampras. Yes there are definitely many people out there. Otherwise wilson wouldn't have to say K90 is used by Fed, wilson could just let Fed use a blackout racket. Now what I am trying to say is, besides the people who use MID because of the "window dressing", there are still many people who use MID for good. Not everybody needs the power, and the subtle extra control from MID could make a lot of yoru outs from OS to be in or on line. And if your style does fit to use a MID, there is no doubt about it that you will love it. Everybody is different. That is why there are different rackets head sizes out there, to fit different needs.

keithchircop
09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
if i'd hit with a semi-western or western forehand with massive topspin i'd use a microgel radical OS.

i hit a predominantly flat eastern forehand. why should i change racquets?

BreakPoint
09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you. I think duece got a little too upset, especially since hes incorrect, but whatever use what you like. I could care less what the next man uses, its just amusing to see people use 90 inch frames or PS85s who would play better using a 95 or 98 inch frame and probably enjoy the game more because of it.
Well, I never said that everyone who plays with a 85 or 90 would play better with a 95 or 98 nor that they don't enjoy the game as much. All I said is that, all else being equal, you'd get more power and spin with a larger racquet. More power and spin does not necessarily mean that you'll play "better". In fact, more power almost always means less control, and more control wins more matches than more power almost every time. And more spin is not always a good thing. You need look no further than Nadal vs. Blake. Nadal hits with tons of spin while Blake hits relatively flat. Guess who wins everytime they play?

BTW, you can still get the same amount of power and spin with a 90 as with a 95 or 98, but you just have to put more work into it. And for many people, putting in that extra work is what they get the most enjoyment from playing tennis.

bad_call
09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
...BTW, you can still get the same amount of power and spin with a 90 as with a 95 or 98, but you just have to put more work into it. And for many people, putting in that extra work is what they get the most enjoyment from playing tennis.

that is so racquet dependent...too broad of a statement. care to rephrase?

BreakPoint
09-28-2007, 04:34 PM
that is so racquet dependent...too broad of a statement. care to rephrase?
If you didn't take my quote out of context, it would be obvious. Did you read my last two posts in their entirety? I stated at least twice "all else being equal". That means the same exact racquet with the ONLY difference being headsize.

bad_call
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
If you didn't take my quote out of context, it would be obvious. Did you read my last two posts in their entirety? I stated at least twice "all else being equal". That means the same exact racquet with the ONLY difference being headsize.

thanks for clarifying. :) however the "all else being equal" applies to few if any racquets today.

Milano
09-28-2007, 04:59 PM
BTW, you can still get the same amount of power and spin with a 90 as with a 95 or 98, but you just have to put more work into it. And for many people, putting in that extra work is what they get the most enjoyment from playing tennis.

I have to agree with that statement. I tried a friends wilson reflex 85 from years back and that week of playing with that racquet was probably the most fun I have had playing tennis in a long time. The extra work really makes you appreciate (and concentrate more) on the game instead of getting sidetracked or "mindlessly" hitting.

And still I won quite a few matches against my usual opponents with a completely different racquet and strategy.

drakulie
09-28-2007, 05:03 PM

I would also say about 90% of the people here who use midplus or OS frames are always blaming their frame rather than their game. AND that is why their game is going downhill.

BreakPoint
09-28-2007, 05:23 PM
thanks for clarifying. :) however the "all else being equal" applies to few if any racquets today.
I assumed this was a theoretical exercise?

J011yroger
09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey,

Just figured I would share my findings with you guys. Since I knew my Ncodes were wearing out, and I knew I would be in the market for a bunch of new frames I decided to see if I didn't hit the ball better with something lighter bigger stiffer.

I certainly don't play my racquets because Fed supposedly uses them, and am certainly not opposed to trying something bigger or lighter if it will help me play better. The only things I care about are getting better as a player, and going rounds. In that order.

So I ordered myself up a PDR+ slung a leather grip on it, strung it up with ALU and went out and thrashed it.

I had, no, repeat, no, zero, problem controlling the ball, it went where I wanted it to, with speed and spin forehand, and backhand. I didn't hit the fence, I didn't spray balls. I could certainly play within .5 of my level with no problem with it.

However, much to my surprise, I hit harder, with heavier spin with my wilsons. Serves were also harder/faster/more spin with the wilsons. With the Babolat my ball was light and spinny, and fast when I wanted it to be fast, but had no weight to it. Compared to my N90s which really hit noticibly harder, and a much heavier ball.

Two seperate hitting partners confirmed my thoughts, one saying I hit much harder with the wilsons, the second said my ball was far more managable with the Babolat.

J

Keifers
09-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey,

Just figured I would share my findings with you guys. Since I knew my Ncodes were wearing out, and I knew I would be in the market for a bunch of new frames I decided to see if I didn't hit the ball better with something lighter bigger stiffer.

I certainly don't play my racquets because Fed supposedly uses them, and am certainly not opposed to trying something bigger or lighter if it will help me play better. The only things I care about are getting better as a player, and going rounds. In that order.

So I ordered myself up a PDR+ slung a leather grip on it, strung it up with ALU and went out and thrashed it.

I had, no, repeat, no, zero, problem controlling the ball, it went where I wanted it to, with speed and spin forehand, and backhand. I didn't hit the fence, I didn't spray balls. I could certainly play within .5 of my level with no problem with it.

However, much to my surprise, I hit harder, with heavier spin with my wilsons. Serves were also harder/faster/more spin with the wilsons. With the Babolat my ball was light and spinny, and fast when I wanted it to be fast, but had no weight to it. Compared to my N90s which really hit noticibly harder, and a much heavier ball.

Two seperate hitting partners confirmed my thoughts, one saying I hit much harder with the wilsons, the second said my ball was far more managable with the Babolat.

J
That's very interesting. Appreciate your report.

How much heavier are your Wilsons than your Babolat? And is it weight alone that accounts for the heavier balls, would you say?

J011yroger
09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
That's very interesting. Appreciate your report.

How much heavier are your Wilsons than your Babolat? And is it weight alone that accounts for the heavier balls, would you say?

My wilsons are 380g 5phl.

The PDR+ was 340g 9phl with the leather grip.

It is not weight alone that accounts for the heavy ball. It is racquet weight coupled with how fast you can swing the racquet.

I dunno if this makes sense to you, but you can hit a light ball, with a heavy racquet, but you cannot hit a heavy ball with a light racquet. You can hit a fast ball, or a spinny ball, with a light racquet, and you can win a lot of matches with one, but to hit that really heavy ball you need a heavy racquet, and good batspeed.

Lighter stiffer racquets are inherently powerful, while when you use weight as a source of power it increases with reguard to how fast you swing the racquet.

That being said, I got more zip from less of a swing with the Babolat, but on heavy hitting, felt that I could "Max Out" the PDR+.

J

bad_call
09-28-2007, 06:37 PM
My wilsons are 380g 5phl.

The PDR+ was 340g 9phl with the leather grip.

It is not weight alone that accounts for the heavy ball. It is racquet weight coupled with how fast you can swing the racquet.

I dunno if this makes sense to you, but you can hit a light ball, with a heavy racquet, but you cannot hit a heavy ball with a light racquet. You can hit a fast ball, or a spinny ball, with a light racquet, and you can win a lot of matches with one, but to hit that really heavy ball you need a heavy racquet, and good batspeed.

Lighter stiffer racquets are inherently powerful, while when you use weight as a source of power it increases with reguard to how fast you swing the racquet.

That being said, I got more zip from less of a swing with the Babolat, but on heavy hitting, felt that I could "Max Out" the PDR+.

J

good point here. so pick your sabres and enjoy the duel. :)

Keifers
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
So it's a combo of racquet weight and fast swing speed. I get it. Thanks.

I started a match recently with a 344g 4phl Head Ti.Classic and noticed that my serves were being returned without too much trouble at all. Switched to a 360g 10 phl Prince Graphite Pro and he had a lot more trouble. To me, it didn't feel like my serves with the Ti.Classic were "light", but I sure could tell the difference by observing what happened after I made the switch.

MichaelChang
09-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks J. I think I learnt something, very intuitive ( makes physics sense). Also when hitting with a Mid frame one will have to swing bigger, that probably also added to the hard balls as well.

bagung
09-28-2007, 07:31 PM
i agree.. it is much easier to hit heavy ball with heavier and higher SW racquets than the lighter one with lower SW....
i just wonder how about lighter racquet with higher SW, such as n-blade...? does it hit heavy ball like the heavy racquets...?

vkartikv
09-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Do you think most people don't use midsize frame because they are not aware of their existence? Only a small fraction of the public visits this forum and gets information on racquet headsizes, the rest of them buy what roddick or sharapova use. Besides, how many racquet store owners recommened midsize frames?

keithchircop
09-29-2007, 12:03 AM
i agree.. it is much easier to hit heavy ball with heavier and higher SW racquets than the lighter one with lower SW....
i just wonder how about lighter racquet with higher SW, such as n-blade...? does it hit heavy ball like the heavy racquets...?

Jollyroger was talking about hitting less heavy balls with a 340g racquet, SW 342. That's not a light racquet with low swingweight.

Deuce
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
I started playing during the wood era. Then through the mid-size phase. I skipped the ceramic, boron, magnesium etc..phase. Played with a moderate wide-body. Believe me, I play much better with the PS 95 than I ever played with a midsize. I tried a Fischer PT 100 and I get much more spin with about the same velocity. And, my arm gets less tired.
Fine - I believe you. But this in no way shows that you play better with that racquet primarily because of its larger head size.
Why exactly do you attribute this difference primarily to the head size?
As I've said countless times - there are countless possible variables that could account for the reason you play better with the PS 95 than with any Mid you've tried.
Fact is that you play better with the PS 95 than with many other 95 sq. in. frames, too. How do you account for that difference? Surely, it is not due to the head size.
It's likely not do to the head size when comparing the PS 95 with Mids, either - likely owing to other elements.

You've got a lot to learn.
Read more. Write less.

keithchircop
09-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Deuce,

Do you hit relatively flat, or with loads of topspin?

Deuce
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Deuce,

Do you hit relatively flat, or with loads of topspin?
I've been playing for over 25 years - so guess.

keithchircop
09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
And you hit with an eastern forehand right?

Deuce
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Pretty much.

keithchircop
09-29-2007, 01:23 AM
90% of people who use mids here hit that way using that grip.

Deuce
09-29-2007, 01:44 AM
I doubt it.
But even if this were even partially true, it's simply because players who have been playing for many years learned to play that way, with Midsize (or smaller) headed racquets, while the 'topspin monkeys' of today are younger, and so learned to play with larger headed racquets.

What's your point?

J011yroger
09-29-2007, 04:04 AM

99th Percentile baby :)

http://i24.tinypic.com/jzt9jp.jpg

J

J011yroger
09-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Hey,

J

Sorry to re-quote myself. But I left one important thing out of the review. The Babolat felt like a tinny rattly piece of garbage tinker toy.

J

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-29-2007, 06:03 AM
I dunno if this makes sense to you, but you can hit a light ball, with a heavy racquet, but you cannot hit a heavy ball with a light racquet.

I have to disagree. Ever since one of my friends traded in his K95 for a K95 Team, his shots have had more control, power, and spin. In other words, his shots became heavier. It may be that he is the exception to the rule, in that his experience certainly would not apply to me, but he definitely experienced a marked improvement. I'd also like to add that my friend is a very good player, very capable of handling a heavy stick.

keithchircop
09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
What's your point?

A lot of people who use mids here say they hit predominantly flat, whereas most topspin punks are scared to venture below 98 headsize. I noticed this from the 90 sq in club. It's an observation not a point.

J011yroger
09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I have to disagree. Ever since one of my friends traded in his K95 for a K95 Team, his shots have had more control, power, and spin. In other words, his shots became heavier. It may be that he is the exception to the rule, in that his experience certainly would not apply to me, but he definitely experienced a marked improvement. I'd also like to add that my friend is a very good player, very capable of handling a heavy stick.

I suppose it depends on your point of comparison. My shots with the PRD were heavi[B]er[B]than most anyone else that I know/play. However I felt that I was maxing out the PDR, and the weight of the ball paled in comparison to my leaded 90s.

If your friends balls had more pace/spin with the team as compared to the regular K95, then the only possible explanation was that he swings the Team faster than the standard (assuming the stringing was the same). Which could be a confidence thing, or it could be that the weight of the standard was slowing his swing down.

Your friend is not an exception to the rule, he is just an example of choosing something that you play best with.

J

tennis_hand
09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
never ending debate. :p

Bhagi Katbamna
09-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Look how heavy a ball is depends on the amount of spin and the speed of the ball. Any player that hits with speed and spin can produce a heavy ball. It isn't some magical property that's inherent in small headsize heavy rackets.

herosol
09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
99th Percentile baby :)

J

okay that tape, its like squeezing the blood out of your veins in your wrist.
O____O

rawr. midsize. ecstasy.

erg. been meaning to ask PS 6.0 85 vs k90
feel? spin? control? ?

ananda
09-30-2007, 09:38 PM
i dont know whether this is the correct thread to mention this.

i have been playing for 2.5 months, the last 3 weeks with a PS 6.0 95 which i loved from the first moment. Now before buying the PS 95, i had ordered an nblade from the US, which arrived yestreday.

today i played my first 10 min with the nblade and it felt too light, i hardly felt like i was holding a racquet. so i put it back and continued with the PS which was fine.

now i cant just dump the nblade as some would suggest, considering the pains my bro has taken to buy and get it for me, i need to give it a fair try. what can i do to make it more playable. just play more ?
or lead tape it (no lead tape available in any store here).

i dont even know whether there is a question in what i am saying, or its just a confession :-)

herosol
09-30-2007, 09:51 PM

i have been playing for 2.5 months, the last 3 weeks with a PS 6.0 95 which i loved from the first moment. Now before buying the PS 95, i had ordered an nblade from the US, which arrived yestreday.

today i played my first 10 min with the nblade and it felt too light, i hardly felt like i was holding a racquet. so i put it back and continued with the PS which was fine.

now i cant just dump the nblade as some would suggest, considering the pains my bro has taken to buy and get it for me, i need to give it a fair try. what can i do to make it more playable. just play more ?

i dont even know whether there is a question in what i am saying, or its just a confession :-)

im sure lead tape would help, since a lot of people usually customize the nblade.

btw: the ps95, what are some great aspects of it?

ananda
10-01-2007, 03:10 AM
im sure lead tape would help, since a lot of people usually customize the nblade.

btw: the ps95, what are some great aspects of it?

consdiering the PS95 is far more Head Light, like about 10 or 11 points, whereas the nblade seems to be almost balanced or at most 1-2 points (i have not yet put an overgrip), do you suggest i lead tape the handle ???

are there any alternatives to lead tape, no store in my city has it. will take some months to get from US.

About the PS95, i cannot give you an in-depth analysis since i have less than 3 months of exp. but from the moment i hit the ball the first time, it felt perfect. the stroke, the feel ... i knew i didnt want to ever change rackets again ever.

praps you are wanting me to compare with other gr8 rackets. due to my inexperience i cant do that. befor this i played for a month with a borrowed babolat PD 98" and it felt okay, but never gr8, like i didnt think i must buy this rack.
prior to that i played with a Head tiS6 115" which pained my elbow alot and i was always hitting out, so i dont want to talk about that. thats all i can compare with.

From your sig, seems you are hitting with a K90, i presume the K90 also has that solid stable feel, altho i understand that each model is worlds apart. there are many other threads on the ps95 here.

i will add that the ps95 forced me to examine my style, footwork etc so that i would always get a good shot, in the sweetspot. the only thing i feel suffers (could be my strings) is the topspin i get on it.
i feel the PD gave me better topspin altho that had v cheap strings as well. i can hardly do a TS serve with this. Others report this has excellent spin.

ananda
10-01-2007, 04:04 AM

J
oh dear, i thought lead tape was supposed to go on the racquet (and not wrist).

keithchircop
10-01-2007, 04:18 AM

fit a babolat leather grip and a thin overgrip on the nblade to make it heavier and more headlight. i would think twice before leading up the hoop on a racket with swingweight 335+.