PDA

View Full Version : How to put grommets?

shojun25
09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I took out my grommets from my Diablo XP MP and I am trying to put them back in... however, I have to use a great amount of force to get some in.

Do I have to buy a new set of grommets OR is there a way to push the used grommets (used, but not worn out) back into the racquet?

A.T.S.
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Hmmm. Well I just put the extra effort in but I have see people cut the grommets in half(where the string doesnt go over the cut) then I guess it makes it easier.

anirut
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Use a little heat to "shape" the bloomed parts. I lightly heat the bloomed parts with my lighter, just enough to soften it a bit. Then just taper them with your fingers. Make sure you don't 'close' the grommets.

I did that, twice, for my Redondo.

Use the brain, not shear force.

LanEvo
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
i heard that putting them in hot water for a few mins softens them up and then u can put them on easily

mclee025
09-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Old grommets are going to be more difficult to put on a racquet than new ones because the ends are often damaged or flared out from the prior use. If they are in bad shape, you probably won't be able to get them back on and would probably just have to buy some new ones. However, if they are in relatively good condition, you can probably get them back on.

Whether or not they are used or new, they are often hard to get on anyway because the fit is typically tight and the plastic non pliable. When installing, it's good to have an awl handy to guide the grommets through the holes and to provide leverage as necessary.

To make it easier to install, you can soften up the grommets to make them more easy to work with. Some people apply heat on trouble spots with heat guns (or a hair dryer in a crunch).

For me, I like boiling some water in a big pot and tossing the grommets in to soften for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes is a good time). Boiling won't hurt them, but it's good to keep the grommets off the hot spots on the pot which does have the potential to melt them. Also, take care not to burn yourself.

When you install the grommets, the last few grommets are going to be the most difficult to fit. Also, the grommets closest to the throat are going to be difficult because they are typically longer. As such, it's best to start from the throat and work your way up to the head to minimize the level of difficulty. That way, you get the difficult throat grommets out of the way before you have to deal with the difficult "last" ones.

shojun25
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks a lot people. I'll try to apply it later in the afternoon.

If everything goes wrong, I'll just have to buy a new grommet set.

LPShanet
09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot people. I'll try to apply it later in the afternoon.

If everything goes wrong, I'll just have to buy a new grommet set.

Using an awl and a hair dryer (carefully) may help. Also, you can return the flared grommets to a shape closer to original with needlenose pliers. But it's always best to just put in new ones. They're only a few bucks anyway.