PDA

View Full Version : K95 6.1 18x20 vs N95 6.1 18x20 Review

ximian
09-26-2007, 10:33 PM
After perusing the boards and seeing how little information and feedback there is on the K95, I figured I would throw my voice in the mix and hopefully give you a qualitative review of the K Factor vs the nCode, seeing as I'm coming from the nCode to the K Factor. I just got done with a 2 hour hitting session with the K factor 6.1 95 18x20.

Background: I'm a 5.0 college player, somewhat aggressive baseliner who likes to massage the ball and work a point. The baseline is definitely my forte. I'm coming off a bit of an injury, which kept me from volleys and serves.

The K95 was strung with Wilson Reaction, at what I assume is a few pounds above the mid. The string job showed some wear on it, so I wasn't really expecting it to perform anywhere close to my nCode, which is usually strung with Cyber Flash or a Lux / Syn gut hybrid. Because all I really did was groundies, I can't comment on the serve or volleys all that conclusively.

Nevertheless, the K95's increased swingweight was evident from the very start. It just felt SOLID. A little more mass in the head and a little heaftier swing was definitely noticeable. However, I LOVED it. As I said, it just felt solid and resulted in a heavier shot, a more confident swing, and even some more control. The forehand was groved after just 5 minuets, and from then I was confidently pounding the ball wherever I wanted. The extra swingweight helped plow through the ball, giving me some great depth and pace. The backhand is a bit of the same. The extra mass and swingweight helped my confidence, and I put that ball on a dime consistently. The extra swingweight was especially noticeable on my running backhands. I always love this shot, and tonight it was going exactly where I wanted, deep crosscourt. Overall, my groundies were groved very quickly, and I thoroughly enjoyed hitting with the K 95.

After getting groved with the K95 I picked up my old nCode to see how it compared. I was surprised to notice just how flimsy the nCode felt compared to the K95. It still gave me a good hit, but gone was the punishing thwak of the K95. I quickly switched back.

As far as stiffness is concerned, I really didn't feel all to much of a difference. My elbow has proven somewhat sensitive in the past, but the K95 didn't feel significantly stiffer. It is a little stiffer, but not my much, and I quickly grew accustomed to its feel.

Overall, I LOVE the new K95. I just ordered 3, and my nCodes are out the door. Wilson definitely gets an A+ for this update, it's worlds better than the nCode.

galatti
09-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Why did you choose 18x20 over 16x18? BTW I do prefer 18x20 as well, but I'd like to know your option.

PS: My N95 is in garage as well :)

seacard
09-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Why did you choose 18x20 over 16x18? BTW I do prefer 18x20 as well, but I'd like to know your option.

PS: My N95 is in garage as well :)

Hey Galatti -

What are your thoughts on the K95 18x20 versus the Speedport Black? Those were two of my favorite racquets during my last 3 months of demos (along with the nPro Open X), so I'd be intrested in your impressions.

ximian
09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
The 16x18 was decent, but nothing special. I originally thought the 16x18 would suit my game better just because of the increased spin and a touch more power, but after hitting with the 16x18 (nCode) for a month or so and then checking out the 18x20, there was no comparison. The 18x20 just firmed things up a bit, made it a bit crisper and gave much better feedback. Its just more solid, and gives me more control and confidence. So I didn't even consider the 16x18 K factor. I know it wouldn't compare to the 18x20.

Chauvalito
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
The 16x18 was decent, but nothing special. I originally thought the 16x18 would suit my game better just because of the increased spin and a touch more power, but after hitting with the 16x18 (nCode) for a month or so and then checking out the 18x20, there was no comparison. The 18x20 just firmed things up a bit, made it a bit crisper and gave much better feedback. Its just more solid, and gives me more control and confidence. So I didn't even consider the 16x18 K factor. I know it wouldn't compare to the 18x20.

Very similiar reasoning for why I went with the 18x20 as well. The stringbed feels more consistent and I know how the ball is going to come of the string bed.

galatti
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey Galatti -

What are your thoughts on the K95 18x20 versus the Speedport Black? Those were two of my favorite racquets during my last 3 months of demos (along with the nPro Open X), so I'd be intrested in your impressions.

They are different in every aspect. You cant start one match and switch racks. I love my K95, but during hot days I was getting tired after playing for a while and my arm wasd complaining. I got the black because of the confort and easy swing. I feel like I could play for hours wit the black, but I still play better with the k95. I believe I need to get used to the black. Here is a quick head to head comparison«
Servers: faster with the K95, Heavier with the black
Groundstokes: black is better
Slices:Black is better
voleys: I can't tell the difference
overheads:I still preffer the K95, just a bit

I would't have bought the black if I hadn't had problems with my arm using the K95, but I'm really enjoying the Black and hope to get used to it soon.

centercourt8
09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Ximian-

I am a through and through flat hitter off both wings with a 1hbh, how does this racquet respond to that kind of game play?

Thanks! :D

ximian
09-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I think you'll love it. Not too much power, and with solid feedback and control. If you can handle the swingweight and static weight, it plays great.