PDA

View Full Version : Mspeed 98 question

adso1973
09-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

Currently I'm playing with a Mspeed 98 SL and also with a Yonex RDS001 mp, both with Kirshbaun SS 57 lb.

I found the Mspeed to be more suitable to my game and also more confortable than the yonex.. with the fischer I can place the ball where I want.. but it lacks some of the power and kick I find with the yonex or even with my old HPS 6.1

I'm thinking in adding some lead to the mspeed, or change the strings to other with more power..

What do you think about it? and where would you add lead to the mspeed??

Thanks!!

pham4313
09-27-2007, 07:42 AM
the racket is pretty powerful itself...you might want to hybrid your string, put syngut in there, keep same tension at 57 lbs, you ll get plenty of power.

0d1n
09-27-2007, 07:57 AM
This is the first time I've heard somebody say that the MSpeed is "powerful" :) but I do agree with the advice to some extent. IMO you should first try to drop the tension 1 or 2 kg (2-4 lbs), as the racket offers plenty of control even at extremely low tensions. A second alternative would be to either hybrid with a more powerful string or use another string all together (a more lively one).

sargeinaz
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
This is the first time I've heard somebody say that the MSpeed is "powerful" :) but I do agree with the advice to some extent. IMO you should first try to drop the tension 1 or 2 kg (2-4 lbs), as the racket offers plenty of control even at extremely low tensions. A second alternative would be to either hybrid with a more powerful string or use another string all together (a more lively one).

I agree. In my opinion Fischers are great sticks, but super low powered.
________
Extreme Vaporizer Whip Kit (http://www.vaporshop.com)

iscottius
09-28-2007, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

Currently I'm playing with a Mspeed 98 SL and also with a Yonex RDS001 mp, both with Kirshbaun SS 57 lb.

I found the Mspeed to be more suitable to my game and also more confortable than the yonex.. with the fischer I can place the ball where I want.. but it lacks some of the power and kick I find with the yonex or even with my old HPS 6.1

I'm thinking in adding some lead to the mspeed, or change the strings to other with more power..

What do you think about it? and where would you add lead to the mspeed??

Thanks!!

I have been playing the M speed 98 for 3+ years. The racquet plays best imo strung between 53-57 pounds with Nat gut, multi, or syngut. With a poly (alu, cyberflashig ace) you should string at 50. I know that this sounds low, but the racquet has plenty of power and control, feels better and respons better.

My favorite set up is nat gut mains at 55, poly crosses at 50.

0d1n
09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I have been playing the M speed 98 for 3+ years. The racquet plays best imo strung between 53-57 pounds with Nat gut, multi, or syngut. With a poly (alu, cyberflashig ace) you should string at 50. I know that this sounds low, but the racquet has plenty of power and control, feels better and respons better.

My favorite set up is nat gut mains at 55, poly crosses at 50.

Definitely low tension is a MUST on this frame. Did you by any chance try a multi main poly cross hybrid ?? I play mostly on clay, polys are just about the only strings available in stores around here (and tournament nylon). Natural gut can't be found anywhere around me, and it's too expensive to import (buy online).
I currently have 1 mspeed strung with Pro Kennex IQ Elite (~ 25/24 kg), one with PSGMultifilament (26 kg = too stiff) and one with a poly M syn gut C hybrid (I'm still in tests when it comes to strings ... when I find something I love I'll just string that in all 3).

SlapShot
09-28-2007, 06:37 AM
I agree with all posts above. I used to use a Wilson Pro Staff Classic, and strung that with syn gut at 65, and I string my MPro @ 54-55, and I feel no loss of control. It feels great - much easier on the arm, and plenty of controllable power at that level.

I'm trying poly strings, and I really like the racquet that I have that is strung with BB Alu Rough @ 52 with Gosen OG crosses at 54 - plenty of pop, and GREAT serving stick.

adso1973
09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replys.... I think is the issue is that I think that a synt gut or a multi around 54-55 would be very soft for my liking.. but I should try it..

And what about adding some lead in the top of the racquet, has anybody done it?

0d1n
09-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the replys.... I think is the issue is that I think that a synt gut or a multi around 54-55 would be very soft for my liking.. but I should try it..

I did add some lead at 12, but I didn't find any benefit. Basically it would increase SW too much and that's what I was running away from (my DNX 10 Mids). Lead at 12 would make it swing the same as the DNX or maybe even heavier, with little benefits ....so I took it off.

SlapShot
09-28-2007, 11:39 AM

I added some lead to the tip of my MPro UL (leather grip/overgrip) and I really only used it to make my wrist snap on the serve a little bit quicker. I've only got 3-4 grams at the tip, just enough to bring the ball down a little sooner.

It's definitely a low-powered frame, and if you are hoping for something more akin to a Wilson Pro Staff, you may want to look to another frame.

bear
10-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Well,
Most players have to realize that the first thing you need to do is lower the string tension. These Mspeed frames like to be strung at around 50lbs. You might even consider 45-48lbs. as well. Another thing is the string you are using is stiff. If you want the best playing experience possible use Babolat Nautural Gut. Tonic Plus is the best deal for the money. Just using natural gut alone will increase your power level because the string comes from a steer intestine and has natural resiliantcy(I don't know if I spelled that right!) Anyway there are other things to do other than adding lead tape to a frame. Don't be fooled, a stiff string is a stiff string. Many players seem to think all this new technology means adding power to stiff strings. Instead here is the formula: Stiff string=Control+Damaged Arm. Stick with the soft stuff. Soft string=Power And Blended Control+Arm That Can Still Play Tennis.
Bear :-)

bear
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Also,
Did you ever wonder why the pros seem to have more power than the rest of us? Do they really? Strength and muscle conditioning is a factor. But what is another? Other factors are: Heavy frames that weigh 12-13 ounces combined with low tensions of natural gut. What tensions? How about 45-50 Lbs. Who hits at this tension? Roger Federer does. Another factor is the best pros can string 10 frames a day and then cut out the gut even if they don't even hit with the frame! Every single day is a new set of Babolat Natural Gut! I wish I had $100,000 a year to spend on tennis string! But they get endorsements! Well, so much for my past hopes of becoming a touring pro. This was just a little tidbit on power!
-Bear :-)