PDA

View Full Version : Test your tennis I.Q.

Peter K.
11-08-2004, 12:04 PM
On Tennis Magazine's website (www.tennis.com), they have a 30 question trivia quiz on the main page. It covers all different kinds of topics. Some of them are actually pretty funny. The first question asks if you know the name of the novel Jim Courier read during a changeover (needless to say, I didn't know that one)
Overall pretty fun and informative.

Kevin Patrick
11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
I just checked it out, great stuff, here are some good ones:

In September 1989, a Top 20 ATP player set his pants on fire when he was trying to light a barbecue with a can of gasoline. He suffered second-degree burns to his right thigh and was sidelined for a month. This unfortunate player was:
a) Andres Gomez
b) Thomas Muster
c) Jay Berger
d) Yannick Noah

Who said (s)he would take steroids to stay competitive if other players were juicing up?
a) Boris Becker
b) Thomas Muster
c) Ivan Lendl
d) Martina Navratilova

In a third-round U.S. Open match, this player, down a match point at 30-40 in the final set, hit a cross-court volley. The linesperson called it good, but the chair umpire overruled from the other side of the court. The defeated player, who was retiring after the tournament, broke down in tears and later said, “I got cheated out of the last tournament of my career.” Who was this?
a) Kimiko Date
b) Aaron Krickstein
c) Tom Gullikson
d) Hana Mandlikova

http://www.tennis.com/etc/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=119944&itype=1298

@wright
11-09-2004, 07:46 AM
I also thought the quiz was good reading. There were many of them I didn't know, I'd be interested to see how the most scholarly posters would fare...

Rabbit
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I missed two. The one about the most number of aces in a men's and women's match and the question about Catherine Tanvier.

K!ck5w3rvE
11-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Most number of aces in a mens match
' ' womens match
question about Catherine Tanvier

Thats 3 questions Rabbit.

Rabbit
11-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Most number of aces in a mens match
' ' womens match
question about Catherine Tanvier

Thats 3 questions Rabbit.

If you had bothered to read the survey, you'd have seen that ONE of the questions was

28. What is the record number of aces by singles players in men’s and women’s pro tennis matches?

You'll notice that the one question asks about two different events. This would mean that there is one correct answer, which I did not answer correctly. Now, when I went to school, that counted as one incorrect answer.

So, the question about the number of aces in a mens and women's match combined with the question about Catherine Tanvier would be 2 or two questions. I know that the new math is a little different, but I think I'm capable of adding one question to one question and getting two questions.

Kevin Patrick
11-10-2004, 09:30 AM
I thought the answer to the 'most aces in a men's match' question was kind of a trick question. The atp & itf websites don't even keep records of the qualies.

Emma Knightley
11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Why was Courier reading during that changeover? Was the match that boring?

Kevin Patrick
11-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Courier was just burned out Emma. It was at the year end championships in '93(a close round robin match with Medvedv, losing 7-6 in the 3rd). here's the press conference:

Q. Would you say you had some problem because of concentration today?

JIM COURIER: No, I think my concentration never been better.

Q. What was the book?

JIM COURIER: Entertainment.

Q. Was it first time you have used that kind of-- first thing you have read on court side?

JIM COURIER: No. No.

Q. Tell me what kind of book it was.

JIM COURIER: No. It is my little secret.

Q. What is the theory in reading the book, Jim, what were you trying to --

JIM COURIER: No theory at all.

Q. Were you trying to relax?

JIM COURIER: Just felt like doing it. It is an interesting book. I felt like reading.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/1993atpworld/111793JC.html

the man to beat
11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
i like courier

but someone i know quite well

has the most impressive

tennis IQ ever!

Emma Knightley
11-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Courier was just burned out Emma. It was at the year end championships in '93(a close round robin match with Medvedv, losing 7-6 in the 3rd). here's the press conference:

Q. Would you say you had some problem because of concentration today?

JIM COURIER: No, I think my concentration never been better.

Q. What was the book?

JIM COURIER: Entertainment.

Q. Was it first time you have used that kind of-- first thing you have read on court side?

JIM COURIER: No. No.

Q. Tell me what kind of book it was.

JIM COURIER: No. It is my little secret.

Q. What is the theory in reading the book, Jim, what were you trying to --

JIM COURIER: No theory at all.

Q. Were you trying to relax?

JIM COURIER: Just felt like doing it. It is an interesting book. I felt like reading.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/1993atpworld/111793JC.html

thanks kevin ... very interesting press conference.