PDA

View Full Version : Head legends: Rad Twin Tube & Pro Tour...

Ross K
09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I've recently been very busy trying to get familiar with the history of these fairly old, and in some cases near mythical Head rods... names such as the Trisys 300, the 'bumblebee', the Prestige Classic 600, the Classic Tour, etc. But of all the searches I've done and vast post-reading sessions, I'm noticing that the Radical Twin Tube 630 (or the 280 as I think it's called in the US) and the Pro Tour 630 (or 280) really have aquired a LOT of high regard and reverance.

And so, my question is, out of these two much valued great great racquets, if you could have only one, which would you go for?... Which, for you, might just win out as your ultimate preference?

If you could say why (as in comparing how the two play), I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

R.

"But there can be only one!"...

galain
09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
The PT 280/630 hands down. I do think this is perhaps the best frame of the 90's. Opinions are opinions, of course, but having used both, I really do think they are degrees apart. The Radical was a solid stick, no doubt, but the PT had that immediate 'wow' factor that so few do. Feel was considerably better, control was considerably better - the Radical was a more powerful hit - just - but that's really about it.

I'd rank the PT above the Prestige to be honest.

jayserinos99
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I think you're a little confused. 630 (roughly equal to 98 ) is the moniker of the head size (like 600 = 93, 660 = 102) while the 280 is based off of the Trisys naming scale from the mid 90s (e.g. Trisys 300 = Prestige with Suspension Grip). The Pro Tour 280 and Pro Tour 630 is the same (with minor differences such as 280 = no CAPs, marketed in USA; 630 = CAPs, marketed in Europe for example).

As for your question, I have both the 1998 TT Radical MP and the Pro Tour 280 as well as the 630. The Radical may have the same specs and the Pro Tour but it felt a bit lighter and not as 'plush' as the Pro Tour (280 or 630). I added lead at the 3/9 on my Radicals and it played much better and I have a 1998 TT Radical on the way which I will add CAP grommets to try to add a little more weight. However, there's a reason why I still keep two Pro Tour 630s in my bag and that's because the frame is such a plush hit and the weight of the frame provides great 'plow'.

Pro_Tour_630
09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
PT630 is more flexible than the radical TT which to me translated to more feel. For me the PT630

Ross K
09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
To the above posters^^^

Hey. 3-0 to the PT. I thought it might be a bit of a closer score, but apparently not. According to you guys the competition isn't really that close at all. So the winner appears to be the PT... or does it?... anyone else?

BTW, jayserinos99... Apologies for any confusions. I admit to finding it difficult at times trying to understand the terminology when it comes to these old Head legends.

Deuce
09-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I think the competition would be closer if the Pro Tour (280 or 630) was compared to the original Radical Tour (260), AKA the 'bumblebee'.

j30tennis
09-30-2007, 08:39 AM
98 rad tour all the way the balance feels perfect the cleanest hit in my opinion and the vanity of it. LOVE THAT RACQUET

j30tennis
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
We are talking about the mid plus frames correct? This was the last mid plus I ever used, and would kill to go back to it. Sadly nothing in todays market seems close.

vsbabolat
09-30-2007, 08:48 AM
We are talking about the mid plus frames correct? This was the last mid plus I ever used, and would kill to go back to it. Sadly nothing in todays market seems close.

Yes it is about the midplus (630) headsize. We are all keeping our fingers crossed that the Microgel Prestige Midplus will come close.

j30tennis
09-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks vsbabolat, why did head stop producing these frames and opt to go with just one of Agassis rads. They should have put out a line called the Legacy of Andre tennis line giving us all the choice between racquets in his allustrious career.

kHAoS
10-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I've have both the Radical Trisys 260 and the TT Radical, and I would have to say the Trisys 260 feels more lively. I seem to be able to plow through harder on my strokes. The TT Radical is still a very nice racket, but it feels more muted on my groundstrokes. For my money's worth, I'd take the Trisys 260 over the TT Radical. In fact, I'm looking to sell my zebra-striped TT Radical and buy another Radical Trisys 260 ;)

frekcles
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I've have both the Radical Trisys 260 and the TT Radical, and I would have to say the Trisys 260 feels more lively. I seem to be able to plow through harder on my strokes. The TT Radical is still a very nice racket, but it feels more muted on my groundstrokes. For my money's worth, I'd take the Trisys 260 over the TT Radical. In fact, I'm looking to sell my zebra-striped TT Radical and buy another Radical Trisys 260 ;)

kHaos,

Contact me off-list @ freckles_007@hotmail.com

I'm interested in your Zebra.

I have a couple of Bumblebees. Perhaps we can do a trade or I can just buy outright.

Thanks.