PDA

View Full Version : What are all solid types of graphite material in rackets?

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I know High modulus is one that they use in APDC and ASC. Titanium is always hard racket material. Liguid Metal all that makes solid type material rackets.

Could anyone please give me a list of hard graphites and titaniums.

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I guess no one knows what im talking about :confused:

Racketdesign
09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I cant say I understood the question exactly.

I can tell you that there is no Titanium used in racquet manufacture, or liquid metal...

Amone
09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I know High modulus is one that they use in APDC and ASC. Titanium is always hard racket material. Liguid Metal all that makes solid type material rackets.

Could anyone please give me a list of hard graphites and titaniums.

Well, I don't know about them, but I do know what you're talking about. You're the one that doesn't. Graphite is a material, not a 'class' or anything like that. High Modulus graphite means that it was made with higher heat, or with more time, because the imperfections in the original carbon were burned off. Titanium is titanium, it's an alloy and like all alloys it has different ratios. Which you would choose depends on what resources you have available, and how much money you have.

However, FRP's (Fiber Reinforced Polymers) are my forte; the difference in the various FRPs depend on a few factors: The type of fiber used, that fiber's construction process, the weave used to make cloth from the fibers, and the type of epoxy that is used to cure it are the big differences. The type is pretty straightforward-- Kevlar is different from Graphite is different from Fiberglass. Inside those, there are differences, but they're all very complicated and for all intents and purposes you can ignore them if you're not trying to get into the industry.

The fiber-creation process involves (for graphite) taking carbon, and then heating it to a certain heat for a certain amount of time. The higher the heat, or the longer the time, and the higher-modulus the carbon tends to be.

The weaves vary, but most common are twill weaves of various forms. This is a lot like standard fabric, in that you might use a different way of making fabric depending on the traits you want it to have.

Finally, the epoxy is the 'glue' that holds it all together. Some epoxies are stiffer, or lighter, or less prone to breaking than others, depending on how much you have to spend and what you want out of it would factor into what epoxy you'd use.

So, realistically, you asked a somewhat naive, but loaded question, because there are nearly infinite variations on the type of graphite that could be used, without even getting into other types of materials.

Racketdesign
09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Now there is a guy who knows his stuff ! Good post

Amone
09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Now there is a guy who knows his stuff ! Good post

I'm a major geek, and for a time I considered getting into the industry. Then I realised I was 16, and had no money, backing, or connections. Then I became a well-informed 'player' again, as opposed to 'potential manufacturer.' :p

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Their is one thing you forgot college major. You forgot to simplify this for people didn't goto school for this.

I simply want to know what graphite type has a more solid feeling like high modulus because I do not like hallow feeling graphite on rackets.

Yes liquid mental has titanium in it, Look up flex point radical specs on tennis warehouse or look up prince O3 speed port black. You will find that some rackets have titanium in them.

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
heres the link make it easier for you to find out.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-FPR.html

This is ment for racketdesign..^

Racketdesign
09-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Please do not believe everything a manufacturer tells you.. there really is no titanium in racquets..

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
o_O......... alot of sports use that material

Amone
09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Their is one thing you forgot college major. You forgot to simplify this for people didn't goto school for this.

I simply want to know what graphite type has a more solid feeling like high modulus because I do not like hallow feeling graphite on rackets.

Yes liquid mental has titanium in it, Look up flex point radical specs on tennis warehouse or look up prince O3 speed port black. You will find that some rackets have titanium in them.

Let me put it this way-- High Modulus means that it's stiff. High Strength is the opposite of High Modulus. High Strength means it's less stiff, but also less prone to breaking.

Liquid Metal's the tennis-age's Faerie Dust. IMHO, it's make believe, and I haven't seen any reason to believe otherwise.

Titanium, however, is probably used in something called a "metal matrix composite." Basically, think of it like this: It's like graphite fiber with metal instead of graphite. However, only small amounts of titanium would be used because, by comparison, it's amazingly heavy.

---

SUMMARY: If I were you, and I wanted a 'solid' feeling racquet, I'd probably want a frame with Fiberglass or Kevlar*, because they're inherently higher strength than Graphite.

---

PS: I didn't go to school for this either. All this information is freely available on the internet for anyone who wants to look. In fact, I'm still a senior in high-school, never mind college-educated.

* - Kevlar is a registered trademark of DuPont.

---

PPS: I wouldn't get into a ******* contest with Racquetdesign, last I checked he owned a racquet manufacturing company, and would probably know what he's talking about moreso even than me; I consider myself to be well-informed.

Racketdesign
09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
A lot of sports use a lot of different materials.

You asked about tennis racquets and I have politely told you that there is no titanium in any tennis racquet. I dont need any more links to racquets that claim to have other materials in thier construction. I know its not true.

thanks

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, i'm sorry I wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything but despite that you own a company. I have play sports my whole life and I play on a college baseball team and reason why I thought titanium was in rackets was because I demo the flex point and it felt like titanium. Just like when they make bats or some type of hockey sticks. I don't know why a company would lie about them having titanium in there rackets.

I think what Amone said is what I think. Its a mixture of things.

TRiBaL
09-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks Amone ill try that kevlar out.

Amone
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Amone ill try that kevlar out.

Be warned, though, I'm told that Kevlar does some funny things to the feel of the racquet [I can't recall the words they used..]. I don't know anything about it, I haven't used one. I just know about it's material qualities, things like weight, strength, etc..

vsbabolat
09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
A lot of sports use a lot of different materials.

You asked about tennis racquets and I have politely told you that there is no titanium in any tennis racquet. I dont need any more links to racquets that claim to have other materials in thier construction. I know its not true.

thanks

These poeple just don't understand about marketing.

lethalfang
09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
So-called "liquid metal" has physical composition similar to glass, but NOT the same raw material.
Glass is not a solid. The physics governing the behavior of glass is closer to liquid phase than solid phase: it is a gel phase. A gel can be made by supercooling a liquid very rapidly, essentially locking the molecules in place.
Some gels are capable of being very hard: that's what Head calls liquid metal. It has no real benefits to tennis racquet, but the material is real.

jorel
09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
this was covered by a post that i recently started. Ti is in the racket. the companies do not outright lie. they put a tiny tiny strip (a sticker) of Ti that really does nothing in the handle under the grip. so the companies can say that Ti is in the racket and not lie but it is not in the frame composition and does nothing for frame performance. i would bank on the words of Racketdesign . not many of us on these boards can say that we used to head the design of racquets for pros for a major manufacturer.

plus Ti is very expensive stuff. they would not waste much in a tennis racquet

jorel
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM

check a recent thread about hollow feeling racquets. get a st vincent pro staff and be done with it