PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Metal Prestige Mid Day 1 Demo Test

acesrus
03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
LM Prestige Mid- As you can imagine for one who currently plays and loves the Prestige Classic, I had some hopeful expectations for this stick. This is just day one of my hits. I have a big match this weekend so I didnt want to throw off my game. Despite the weight, it didn't feel overly heavy to me. Just bouncing the ball was a treat as you could feel the flex which I felt was absent in the I.Prestige. Just a bit of history on me: I played with the I.Prestige for about a year, but gave up on it as I had problems generating spin. I moved to the PClassic and love it. I have added 6 grams of lead to each side of the classic at 3 and 9 and did not counterweight the stick.
Spin was very easy to generate with the LMP. Slice was wicked and I was able to keep the ball low over the net. Topspin was easy to generate. It surely is a bit more stable than the the I.Prestige, but I felt that head a bit boardy. When I have a nice stick with flex, I love the dwell time. Despite its flex, which you can feel, the dwell time did not seem as generous as my PClassic. I did not have any problems generating pace with any of the Prestiges. What was really absent on this prelimary run was the solid feel. I have noticed that with a plethora of new racquets, the NXG, the LMP that it almost seems that I am hitting with a teeny, tiny frame, like hitting with the Dunlop300G with no lead. Even the weight didnt help the solidness of the ball at impact. I am not sure I buy the whole LM technology or the intellifibers for that matter, but I will say that the LMP head does not flex as nicely as I would have hoped. The middle of the frame does, but the head does seem to stiffen at impact. I think this results in surely less feel and may contribute to the boardy feeling that I feel it has. As far as control goes, it fits nicely in the family. Passing shots are a breeze to hit, and it does well on placing first and second serves. Volleys lacked a bit fo punch but that is probably me, but noticeably different than the PC. I have a practice tomorrow that should afford more hits. I will add an overgrip or 2 to get rid of the smallness of the grip throwing me off. If you have any specific questions, I am happy to try to answer them.

tarheelbornjohn
03-18-2004, 10:07 AM
This is very similar to my first day hitting with it last night. Hitting the racket actually felt like hitting with a sub 11oz racket. I did not feel the flex I expected in a players racket. I will be adding some weight and better vib dampener tonight when I hit on the Ball Machine tonight if the rain stops.

wao
03-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Have you added weight to the LM as you did with the classic, if so where and how much. I look forward to your continued post on the LM mid.
Wao

acesrus
03-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Day 2, went with the lead as Wao asked. It dramatically dropped the production. Not that it was impossible to swing, but all the balls were landing very short or into the top of the net. It did improve the solidness of the stick for sure, but it was not worth pursuing so I took the lead off. I just can't get past the lack of fell and response. Its almost as if you get a completely different racuqet depending on where the ball is struck in the string bed. Sometimes its dead as a doornail, especially in the top and bottom. The sweet spot seems fairly generous but even its seems all over the board. I guess it comes down to, I could learn to play with this but it would take a lot of tweaking. It is not an improvement to the PClassic. It has a bit more power than the PClassic, but I dont like the head of this stiffening up when I hit but having the shaft flexible.

wao
03-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Acesrus,
I also had the chance to hit with the LM P mid and Mid +. My take is a little different. Found the Mid + to be good from the backcourt but it lacked on the serve and volleys. Now I did find the Mid to be an exceptionally solid stick from all points on the court. It served well on both flat and kick serves. From the back court I was able to drive the ball deep and hit nice angles off both wings. I didn't modify it that much ( leather grip and a tourn overgrip and string it up with technifiber NRG 18 at 61 lbs).

Thanks for your feedback. Enjoy your continuing search for the mighty grail.
Wao

tarheelbornjohn
03-22-2004, 09:08 AM
I just posted a review of several racquets this weekend. If was most impressed with the MP, more so than the Mid. I did add 20 grams of lead at the LM points on the racquet. I ended up loving the racquet. I did not feel a loss of power on serves as long as I used a full serving motion. Well see my review on ohter topic.