PDA

View Full Version : Why such a weight difference?

wally
09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I have 2 Volkl DNX 10 mids

one is a 4-1/2 to which I've added a full size heat shrink sleeve it weighs in on my digital scale at 371g strung/w Legend-excellerator

two is a 4-5/8 it weighs in at 362g strung/w Legend-IsoPro

I'm reasonably sure the difference beween my racquest is the heat shrink sleeve on 1. They usually add 10-15g.

according to TW the strung weight is 340g What gives?

bagung
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
wally,
i have 4 dnx-10 mid. all in size 4 1/2.
without strung, my empty frames with babolat VS grip and gamma head tape weight between 333.52 to 334.68g.
the one with tonic 16g/iso-speed pro wt 348.52g.
the one with armourpro 16g/iso-speed pro wt 354.2g
the one with arnourpro 16g/tonic 16g wt 358g
the one with yonex 850/iso-speed pro wt 349.86g
according to NBMJ, different string does makes the weight difference too. gut usually is heavier, especially amourpro with the heavier coating...
i try to put on leather before, and it makes the mid wt up to 368-373g, which is too heavy for me....
i am going to try legend 18g/ iso-speed pro next week to bring down some weight..

drakulie
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Poor quality control.

keithchircop
09-28-2007, 02:10 AM
TW says 340 strung, yours is 362 strung. TW might have it wrong. But it's unlikely - I don't see a manufacturer WILFULLY producing 362g (12.7oz) racquets.

0d1n
09-28-2007, 03:32 AM
That's why the specs are best given UNSTRUNG, because 18 gauge poly will always have a different weight to 15 gauge gut (for example). Also ... adding other variables like over grips, heat shrink sleeves ...etc doesn't help.
drakulie's post might also be IT, although Wilson's are much worse than other manufacturers in my experience (i.e. they manage to have rackets of the same model play/swing completely differently...). Having said that one of my dnx 10 mids also swung a bit heavier than the other, but it wasn't really an outstanding difference like I've seen in some Wilson models.
Didn't have real problems with Heads or Dunlops (didn't own that many either ... but the ones I had were consistent enough), and the Fischers are out of this world when it comes to consistency and QA. I've had multiple Vacuum Pro 90's, Pro no 1's and now MSpeed Pro 1's (before the "no tolerance" series...) and they all had identical weight and swing characteristics in my perception (and I'm picky...I do notice these things).
Never had multiple Prince, TF, PK identical models, so I can't give an informed opinion on those companies with regards to QC.

keithchircop
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Are USRSA's specs for strung racquets?

LPShanet
09-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I have 2 Volkl DNX 10 mids

one is a 4-1/2 to which I've added a full size heat shrink sleeve it weighs in on my digital scale at 371g strung/w Legend-excellerator

two is a 4-5/8 it weighs in at 362g strung/w Legend-IsoPro

I'm reasonably sure the difference beween my racquest is the heat shrink sleeve on 1. They usually add 10-15g.

according to TW the strung weight is 340g What gives?

There are actually MANY possible reasons for the differences. As several people have mentioned, different strings weigh different amounts. The matter of manufacturing variances also affects weight considerably. But another, and quite surprising, factor that you don't hear mentioned much is sweat. That's right, sweat. As you play, your grip absorbs and retains it, and it does have a measurable effect on weight/balance. Ask any serious racquet tech. (That's why it's often best to get racquets matched when they're new.) If one racquet is used more than the other, or you sweated more one day, or if one was used more recently, or if you use different overgrips, etc. those factors could all contribute a few grams.