PDA

View Full Version : Fed's grips ?

fuzzy balls
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know which grip uses on his shots?for example, does he use continental on his serve and semi-western on his forehand?let me know....thanks.

blueskaterboy
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
it looks like it is semiwestern forehand. western is so ugly. eastern backhand.

finchy
11-08-2004, 04:34 PM
whoa whoa, what do u mean that western is so ugly? do u mean, it has no finesse? that the shots do not appear to be beautiful? that has to be the stupidest comment i have read in a while.

thejackal
11-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I dont get your point. Two handed forehands (IMO) are ugly as well as ineffective, but western is a very useful grip IMO.

ShooterMcMarco
11-08-2004, 10:15 PM
people say that fed uses an in between grip, between eastern forehand and semi western.

PusherMan
11-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Fed uses a semi-western forehand. This has been beat to death time and time again.

D. Nelson
11-09-2004, 01:16 AM
.....in any given match, I've seen him use them ALL....

JohnThomas1
11-09-2004, 03:22 AM
For mine it is a strong Eastern to SW forehand grip deepending and a fairly orthodox Eastern Backhand, with the index knuckle pretty close to the center of the top bevel.

Rickson
11-09-2004, 04:56 AM
Fed uses a semi-western forehand, eastern backhand, and a continental for his first serve.

Lambsscroll
11-09-2004, 05:32 AM
What would you guys call Guga's backhand grip? Extreme eastern?

Rabbit
11-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Guga uses the Kung Fu grip made popular by G.I. Joe back in the mid to late 70s.

@wright
11-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Are those the big G.I. Joe "dolls"?

NoBadMojo
11-09-2004, 07:03 AM
everbody was kung foo fiiiiighting ;) fed uses all kinds of forehand grips i am betting, and if you ask him, he prob wouldnt even know what all these minour grip variations are..he just changes forehand grips instinctively based upon what kind of shot he wishes to shape. his main ralleying grip would be somewhere between eastern and western i am thinking.

Rabbit
11-09-2004, 10:59 AM
To further that thought, Fed uses a winning forehand grip.

JohnThomas1
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Guga uses what is now commonly called the Western or Exaggerated Eastern.

jings
11-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Fed uses his volley grip to serve - he said so on one of the interviews post US Open. Otherwise I'm inclined to the view that he's a bit John Daly... "grip it and rip it".

PusherMan
11-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm laughing at all this "Federer uses every grip known to man" talk. It's just insane. Fed uses semi exclusively. His swing path determains whether or not the shot is flat or topspin.

Federer is a great player, but some here are just doing WWWAAAAYYY too much!

NoBadMojo
11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
pusherman doesnt realize that a number of good players (most) with variety to their games use more than one forehand grip for their shots. but you can say fed uses a semi when he hits a squash shot (that would hurt) or when he chips a return a serve (that might hurt too), or..etc etc...so how do you profess to have this wisdom pusherman? i think pusherman is referencing me, because i am the only one in this thread who says that fed varies his grip (i believe).

PusherMan
11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Dude, are you serious? We're talking about aggressive in position shots, not emergency defensive shots where one simply wants to get the racquet on the ball. In that case, I use every grip known to man as well. So does my 6 year old nephew.

@wright
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Pete Sampras was once asked what grip he used, and he said he didn't know. I believe that Federer would say the same thing, but I think he varies his grip according to contact height. I'm not saying he goes as far as extreme western, but I think he does use different versions of semi-western - almost eastern.

NoBadMojo
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
you said 'exclusively' pusherman but no worries...a chipped forehand service return is an emergency shot i guess? and what does your 6 yo nephew have to do with this? lol..now i'm laughing. and like i said many many many many good players make little changes to their forehand grip depending on what kind of shot they wish to shape..i dont care if you dont believe me..it's true and anyone that really knows tennis knows this to be true..some better players dont even know what grips they are using at times..they just know what grip works for each shot and use it instinctively based upon hitting a huge volume of balls with exactly the same situation. .feel free to make more changes to your statement as you like to make it work out for you..better yet, why dont you just go away? or you gonna continue to follow me around the tw board making a fool out of yourself?

NoBadMojo
11-10-2004, 01:06 PM
i can see where it is slightly possible that a pro player might use one forehand grip PRIMARILY..maybe a strict baseliner with no variety to their game MAY use one forehand grip ALMOST exclusively but certainly not Fed which is the subject of this thread...maybe a (dare i say) Roddick may have pretty much use the same forehand grip all the time. but anyone that has variety to their game, would make at least subtle changes to their forehand depending. also think @wright is on to something when he mentions contact point. you can hit a more solid ball if you have to hit it high up with a more western grip, and a lower ball might call for something more eastern so you can get a better hit. i'm only a 5.0+ and i know i've got a number of forehand grips....i know which ones to use instinctively and it changes based upon each ball and i've no clue what they are..you do it instinctively after a while based upon hitting huge volumes of balls and using the feedback from the practice
Indulge me for a rant and then i will go..every day on this board i spend lots of energy having to prove people wrong who disagree with me. i really try very hard to not post stuff unless i am sure, and if i post something i'm not sure of, i try a say i am speculating. it is fine to disagree, but might be best to not just make up stuff which to use to disagree. something that at least makes sense would be preferred ;) i say fed uses diff forehand grips base3d upon tons of experience and pusherman says he uses only one exclusively and he knows this how?? so everyday when i politely disagree w. a poster who is wrong or post something i think may be informational, people get all bent up and quite often start insulting me and calling me names. then there may be vultures circling just looking for ways to be mean spirited who chime in. i do know tennis really well and have a real passion for the game...i've been involved with the game in a large number of capacities for a long time, and all i am trying to do is gave back to the game i love and try and help some folks out. today it is feds grips, yesterday people insisted you can lower the swingweight by adding weight somewhere, not long ago it was people saying you can increase string tension by a couple pounds by tying a rubber band ala agassi...and on and on. it's really old and really quite sad IMO, and i have no idea why i bother. People dont give people props around here..they (many) just look for ways to sound superior when they dont know jack or they just post to demean others and some rarely even talk tennis..their sole purpose on the board is just to go around insulting people. thanks for reading. Ed

PusherMan
11-10-2004, 01:52 PM
You're a 5.0? Tough to believe, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ever in LA? Drop me an e-mail...Would love to see your multiple grips in action.

Also, take a chill pill, man. Your speculation is no more valid that anyone elses. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

perfmode
11-10-2004, 01:54 PM
i can see where it is slightly possible that a pro player might use one forehand grip PRIMARILY..maybe a strict baseliner with no variety to their game MAY use one forehand grip ALMOST exclusively but certainly not Fed which is the subject of this thread...maybe a (dare i say) Roddick may have pretty much use the same forehand grip all the time. but anyone that has variety to their game, would make at least subtle changes to their forehand depending. also think @wright is on to something when he mentions contact point. you can hit a more solid ball if you have to hit it high up with a more western grip, and a lower ball might call for something more eastern so you can get a better hit. i'm only a 5.0+ and i know i've got a number of forehand grips....i know which ones to use instinctively and it changes based upon each ball and i've no clue what they are..you do it instinctively after a while based upon hitting huge volumes of balls and using the feedback from the practice
Indulge me for a rant and then i will go..every day on this board i spend lots of energy having to prove people wrong who disagree with me. i really try very hard to not post stuff unless i am sure, and if i post something i'm not sure of, i try a say i am speculating. it is fine to disagree, but might be best to not just make up stuff which to use to disagree. something that at least makes sense would be preferred ;) i say fed uses diff forehand grips base3d upon tons of experience and pusherman says he uses only one exclusively and he knows this how?? so everyday when i politely disagree w. a poster who is wrong or post something i think may be informational, people get all bent up and quite often start insulting me and calling me names. then there may be vultures circling just looking for ways to be mean spirited who chime in. i do know tennis really well and have a real passion for the game...i've been involved with the game in a large number of capacities for a long time, and all i am trying to do is gave back to the game i love and try and help some folks out. today it is feds grips, yesterday people insisted you can lower the swingweight by adding weight somewhere, not long ago it was people saying you can increase string tension by a couple pounds by tying a rubber band ala agassi...and on and on. it's really old and really quite sad IMO, and i have no idea why i bother. People dont give people props around here..they (many) just look for ways to sound superior when they dont know jack or they just post to demean others and some rarely even talk tennis..their sole purpose on the board is just to go around insulting people. thanks for reading. Ed

Hay ******. You CAN increase tension by tying a rubber band. It pulls strings together and tightens them, increasing tension but only on the two mains that it's pulling.

Power Game
11-10-2004, 02:02 PM
You can use different grips for your strokes depending on what kind of ball it is. I'd have to look at my hand after each shot to tell you which grip it is. It doesn't vary alot but it is mostly a semi-western.
I'm sure, Federer, and other pros, use multiple grips for shots

PusherMan
11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Ok folks...I give in!

Federer even uses an aggressive continental forehand when he's winning easily, ala John McEnroe!!!! :roll:

His little way of intimidation, I gather.

NoBadMojo
11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
see what i mean?
pusherman there is no way i would want to play T with you nor would i wish to give you a lesson.
Perfmode you're amazing..you continue to call people names and post all kinds of wrong information on here. david pavlich put this rubber band extravaganza to bed a while ago by stringing up a really large headed frame at like 40 pounds and tieng a rubber band (or maybe even multiple rubber bands) ala agassi as tight as he could and checked it w. a stringmeter..no change. permode your behaviour just isnt gonna get you very far in life i am afraid.....
these two are classic examples of just what i have been talking about.

@wright
11-11-2004, 06:18 AM
"Hay ******. You CAN increase tension by tying a rubber band. It pulls strings together and tightens them, increasing tension but only on the two mains that it's pulling."

Hey perfmode, when puberty hits, let us know. I love how he uses "hay" instead of "hey", just before calling someone a '****. Learn to show some respect. Ed is a 5.0+ teaching pro, and played tennis(and taught) way before you were a glimmer in your dad's eye. I would bet that he could beat you easily, now go back to the Spongebob Squarepants fan club.

perfmode
11-11-2004, 06:23 AM
"Hay ******. You CAN increase tension by tying a rubber band. It pulls strings together and tightens them, increasing tension but only on the two mains that it's pulling."

Hey perfmode, when puberty hits, let us know. I love how he uses "hay" instead of "hey", just before calling someone a '****. Learn to show some respect. Ed is a 5.0+ teaching pro, and played tennis(and taught) way before you were a glimmer in your dad's eye. I would bet that he could beat you easily, now go back to the Spongebob Squarepants fan club.

Hay = Hey. Get a life.

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/6697/billC.jpg

Go watch some Nascar, redneck.

@wright
11-11-2004, 06:27 AM
hay=stuff horses eat. You should know about this because you are the back part of the horse where it comes back out.