PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RQ iS 1 Tour

sureshs
09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
How does this play? Anyone using it? Can't find much info on it so far.

Gemini
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Try looking up RQis Tour in the search function. Plenty of threads.

But briefly, it's a solid, low-powered frame. I'd consider it a hitters racquet if you have long swings and like to hit out. The one exception trait I found in the racquet is how comfortable it is, but make no mistake. You'll have to bring your own power to the table if you're going to hit big shots.

sureshs
09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I want to know if the 25 mm hoop gets in the way of 1 handed backhands.

Rakukojin
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I want to know if the 25 mm hoop gets in the way of 1 handed backhands.
Actually since I switched from a ProStaff 85 to the RQiS 1 Tour, my backhand has been better than ever. Backhand winners glory :D

I did originally nick the frame a couple of times on my kick serve, but it just took a little adjustment to fix that.

sam.gold
09-29-2007, 10:14 AM
How powerful is actually RQ iS Tour 1? According to the specs it seems very low powered but the wide beam plus the open string pattern add a lot of power...Racquets I played recently are

Head Flexpoint Radical Tour MP
Head LM Prestige MP
Fischer M Speed Pro 1 SL
Fischer Pro 1
Wlson nSix One 16x18

anywhere close to one of these in terms of power?
Thanks.

ollinger
09-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Wide beam adds a lot of power?? The beam is wide in an area where the racquet doesn't flex much in any event, so I doubt it adds much.

sam.gold
09-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Wide beam adds a lot of power?? The beam is wide in an area where the racquet doesn't flex much in any event, so I doubt it adds much.

:grin: I wrote 'the wide beam plus the open string pattern add a lot of power...', what I meant is when you see only specs - 95in, 61RA, 325SW, you don't see the whole picture, am I right?;)

vkartikv
09-29-2007, 11:16 AM
No input on the yonex but I'll tell you something about 25 mm beams coming in the way of your 1HBH - that's nonsense. I demoed the fischer mspeed 98 that has a tapered beam 22-25 mm and except on serves I didn't feel any difficulty. And even the service problems were all in my head since I've never used a thick beam racquet. Perhaps a little less aerodynamic but at our level it makes little difference...

ashwincr
09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
suresh, I tried the RQis Tour One briefly, before giving it up. I have been using the RDS001 mid and wanted to test the RQiS 1. The wide frame felt weird to swing initially, and it definitely has a lot more power than the RDS, and not as much control. It flexes more in the throat compared to the RDS, and I could not adjust well to that. It felt a little heavier to swing compared to the RDS and started giving me slight elbow pain after the 2 hour session.

Peter Szucs
09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
How does this play? Anyone using it? Can't find much info on it so far.

I tried both the Rqis 1 tour and the Bab Pure Storm Tour. To me they felt pretty much similar in weight, swingweight and power potential. Imo the Babolat is slightly more stable, it has more predictable stringbed and to me better feel. Control is on par.

sam.gold
09-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Peter,

in terms of power, what other racquets is RQ iS similar to? I haven't played Storm Tour yet:( Thanks.

Peter Szucs
09-30-2007, 03:24 AM
Peter,

in terms of power, what other racquets is RQ iS similar to? I haven't played Storm Tour yet:( Thanks.

I would say that the frame is somewhere between low to low-med powered which means that it well-suited my long forehand swing and was still okay on my med-long two handed backhand swing.
Compared to other racquets i would say that it definitely has more power than the RDS001 MP and it feels heftier to swing as well. I would say that its halfway between the 001 Mp and the Bab Pure Drive standard, but again power is relative to swing style and racq head speed. The way i swing it this is what it is but you may find it different with your own technique.

sureshs
09-30-2007, 05:05 PM
No input on the yonex but I'll tell you something about 25 mm beams coming in the way of your 1HBH - that's nonsense. I demoed the fischer mspeed 98 that has a tapered beam 22-25 mm and except on serves I didn't feel any difficulty. And even the service problems were all in my head since I've never used a thick beam racquet. Perhaps a little less aerodynamic but at our level it makes little difference...

The strange combination of almost 12 oz strung weight, lower flex of 61, 95 si head, but a 25 mm head sounded strange to me. Seems like just one characteristic is non-player type.

What could be the reason for this design? To make the head more stable without increasing the stiffness too much? To eliminate the need for lead tape in the hoop?

sureshs
09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Actually since I switched from a ProStaff 85 to the RQiS 1 Tour, my backhand has been better than ever. Backhand winners glory :D

Good to hear that you are using a racquet more suited to the modern game and have improved as a result.

sureshs
09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
suresh, I tried the RQis Tour One briefly, before giving it up. I have been using the RDS001 mid and wanted to test the RQiS 1. The wide frame felt weird to swing initially, and it definitely has a lot more power than the RDS, and not as much control. It flexes more in the throat compared to the RDS, and I could not adjust well to that. It felt a little heavier to swing compared to the RDS and started giving me slight elbow pain after the 2 hour session.

One poster said it was very comfortable. One commenter on TW page said it had a buttery feel. Your comment is interesting. In fact I was trying to compare it with the RDS 001. Did you use the 90 version?

Also, your comment on wide beam being awkward is what I was afraid of. It may be in the head as Kartik says, but if it gets into the head, it will stay there.

Fedace
09-30-2007, 05:12 PM

I did originally nick the frame a couple of times on my kick serve, but it just took a little adjustment to fix that.

How do you think this racket plays in doubles ?

abrahavt
09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Played with the RQis Tour 1 for the first time today. Feels a lot like the RDX500 MP that I normally play with. Stiffer with a slightly less buttery feel, it feels solid and swings a little heavier than the RDX. Power level seems at par or may be a little less than the RDX. Should be an easy switch for RDX lovers.

Pro_Tour_630
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I did not like it,

reminded me of Ti 50 standard only a bit more stable on the hoop

crosscourt
10-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I did not like it,

reminded me of Ti 50 standard only a bit more stable on the hoop

Michael

Can you say any more? I liked the Ti50 save that it was way too headlight.

Many thanks

cc

sam.gold
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Is RQ iS Tour 1 actually more powerful than RDS 002 Tour SL?

tennis_hand
10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
like a comparison of this racket against the K95.

ashwincr
10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
One poster said it was very comfortable. One commenter on TW page said it had a buttery feel. Your comment is interesting. In fact I was trying to compare it with the RDS 001. Did you use the 90 version?

Also, your comment on wide beam being awkward is what I was afraid of. It may be in the head as Kartik says, but if it gets into the head, it will stay there.

that's the thing, it might be in my head, but if it is in my head then I am thinking about that during a match, which definitely hinders gameplay! :-)
The discomfort and elbow pain I felt probably was due to the changed weight and swing weight from the RDS001 mid that I usually use. I definitely preffered the feel of the RDS over the RQiS. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put the RQiS down, it just didn't suit my style of play.

harleywilson
10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I tried it out and reviewed it. I thought the power was a step up from my RDS mid and the control a step down. I liked it but was not compelled to change from my RDS.