PDA

View Full Version : Masters Cup groups

Down_the_line
11-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know when the Masters Cup groups will be announced? Is there a specific format? I know, of course, that Federer and Roddick will be in seperate groups but for the remaining six players, is it just a random draw or is there some way I can figure out what the groups will be?

BiGGieStuFF
11-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm still waiting as well. I have no idea who I'll be seeing on MOnday night and wednesday night. I hope they put the higher ranked players for the night sessions.

rhubarb
11-09-2004, 12:31 AM
See the other thread on year-end championships:

1 and 2 are put in opposite groups, and the rest divided into pairs in order of ranking. The first drawn from each pair is placed in one group, and the other in the opposite group. So if the qualified players all play, then Federer/Roddick, Hewitt/Safin, Moya/Coria, Henman/Gaudio will all be separated.

davey25
11-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Hopefully Fedex will be in the group with Coria, Gaudio, and Hewitt. Roddick in the group with Safin, Moya, and Henman.

Vlad
11-09-2004, 07:08 AM
I hope for the same groups as well..
BTW, The draw will be announced Wednesday at 2pm for both singles and doubles.
http://www.masters-cup.com/

K!ck5w3rvE
11-09-2004, 09:26 PM
I would like:

Federer
Safin
Gaudio
Coria

Roddick
Hewitt
Moya
Henman

I would like to see a rematch of the AO final with Fed and Marat, because Marat is on fire and has the best chance to challenge Fed at the moment. I'm not saying I just want to see Fed lose, but I want Safin to have his best shot at beating him. Also, and Gaudio/Coria rematch would be good, and its on a different surface. Come to think about it, it won't be that good because Gaudio can't play too well on anything but clay, and Coria just coming back from injury.

BiGGieStuFF
11-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Damn!! can't 2pm get here already!!

Kevin Patrick
11-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Here they are:

Red Group: (1)Roger Federer, (3)Lleyton Hewitt, (5)Carlos Moya, (8)Gaston Gaudio.
Blue Group: (2)Andy Roddick, (4)Marat Safin, (6)Guillermo Coria, (7) Tim Henman.

Anyone want to take bets that Coria will either retire during his 1st match or withdraw from the tournament after one match?

Vlad
11-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I bet he is going to play all three matches... so, I take you bet

Max G.
11-10-2004, 04:17 PM
The only player in that group that I see Coria having a chance at beating is Henman.

daniel_rst
11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
I've been putting together a web site that uses statistical ratings to estimate player abilitities. Some of you have probably seen it. At any rate, I crunched the numbers to figure out who has the best odds of advancing. You can check out the full article here:

http://www.setratings.com/article.php?art_id=17

The gist of it is that Federer and Hewitt should easily advance in the Red Group, as long as Fed is anywhere near his pre-injury form. Moya and Gaudio just won't be able to compete on the hard courts.

Roddick should advance in the Blue Group. Even with Safin's recent
surge, he still is not quite up to Roddick's rating level. Roddick should win about 6 out of 10 times against Safin, Coria, or Henman. He needs to play some of the best tennis of his life to win all three. Safin is a slight favorite to advance as runner up if he continues to play at his current level, but could be in trouble if he regresses back to the level he has shown for the rest of the year.

Enjoy!

Daniel

Max G.
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
I've been putting together a web site that uses statistical ratings to estimate player abilitities. Some of you have probably seen it. At any rate, I crunched the numbers to figure out who has the best odds of advancing. You can check out the full article here:

http://www.setratings.com/article.php?art_id=17

The gist of it is that Federer and Hewitt should easily advance in the Red Group, as long as Fed is anywhere near his pre-injury form. Moya and Gaudio just won't be able to compete on the hard courts.

Roddick should advance in the Blue Group. Even with Safin's recent
surge, he still is not quite up to Roddick's rating level. Roddick should win about 6 out of 10 times against Safin, Coria, or Henman. He needs to play some of the best tennis of his life to win all three. Safin is a slight favorite to advance as runner up if he continues to play at his current level, but could be in trouble if he regresses back to the level he has shown for the rest of the year.

Enjoy!

Daniel

Some conclusions I agree with, some I don't. Red group is simple enough - Moya hasn't been in good enough form lately to challenge Hewitt, though he does stack up favorably against him.

However, in the Blue group, you discount several factors. First of all, Coria cannot be placed at the same level as Roddick or Safin or Henman right now. He hasn't won a single match since the Wimbledon first round. He's out of match practice, and he's just changed his serve motion... no way that you can claim "Playing at their most recent level, there is no clear favorite in any matchup between the three." referring to Coria, Safin, Henman.

At their most recent level, Safin is a clear favorite. he's the only one of those to have won a tournament post-US-open this year, and he's done a couple in style. The question with Safin is whether he'll be able to maintain his form.

pound cat
11-11-2004, 03:01 AM
I bet Coria will withdraw and be replaced by Agassi to beef up the US presence, & that MM will make it a very attractive withdrawal for Coria.

rhubarb
11-11-2004, 03:14 AM
If Coria withdraws after his match with Safin and is replaced by Agassi, that will make things even more interesting in the blue group. (I'm assuming that the scheduling will be like last year's.)

I wonder whether Moya will be the one who withdraws? That would even things up in the red group somewhat.

daniel_rst
11-11-2004, 07:02 AM
"Playing at their most recent level, there is no clear favorite in any matchup between the three."

By most recent level, I mean exactly that. If Coria plays at the level that he played at the last time he played, he is right there with Safin and Henman.

What I am trying to do with this site is use a statistical system to rate players and then use that rating to try to predict match outcomes. I'm specifically trying not to be too subjective. Clearly there is a lot of uncertainty about Coria's rating right now since he has not played a match in some time. At the moment I have no way of accounting for that.

I tend to agree that Coria probably won't be competing at a very high level, if at all. But that is the nature of the beast. I am just pointing out that if Henman, Coria, and Safin all play at their most recent level, statistically, there is little to separate their ability levels.

Daniel

p.s. - I would love to see Agassi in there, too!

Feņa14
11-11-2004, 07:04 AM
I personally don't think that Roddick will make it out of the group stages.

Free_Martha
11-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Another cakewalk for Federer. :roll:

rhubarb
11-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Another cakewalk for Federer. :roll:

Another? He hardly had one last year, he was 2-11 against his round robin opponents, and he'd never beaten two of them in 8 matches. About time he had a good TMC draw, imo.

pound cat
11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
How is the prize money earned? Total games won? Bonus for final???

VashTheStampede
11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I predict Safin vs. Federer in the finals. Also, I think Hewitt will overtake Roddick for the number two spot.

BiGGieStuFF
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Still no news on what matches will be played what day?