PDA

View Full Version : HEAD Distortion

AV1
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I wasn't sure if this belongs in this forum or under Strings and Stringing:

I just re-strung an older HEAD Prestige Tour 300 and noticed that the hoop distorted quite a bit. The hoop ended up being slightly elongated and the sides were brought in quite a bit.
I strung it with a Gamma stringer with Blue Gear (17) in the mains and Gosen OG Micro (17) in the crosses. The mains were strung at 50 and the crosses at 55.

I know that the stringer has a 6 point clamping system where it prevents the top and bottom of the frame from compressing and the sides from expanding. But, there is nothing that prevents the sides from compressing and the top and bottom from expanding.

Did the sides of the frame compress because the tension on the crosses was too much greater than the mains? Or is this a characteristic of the HEAD racket. I've seen some posts where some people noted that their HEAD rackets also distorted but I have 5 other HEADS that have not distorted. The other 5 rackets were strung with a poly hybrid as well but they were all strung at the same tension of 55 - both main and crosses.

RLFore
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
If the racquet has a super flexible loop and you strung the crosses 5lbs more than the mains than that is very possible if the racquet wasn't tightly secured in the mounts. I did it to my Head LM Radical when I first started to string, it wasn't mounted securely and the racquet became shorter, so I cut out the strings (they were cheapo Gamma strings) and it went back to normal

Captain Haddock
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
It's a common thing with the Prestige line. See this post:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101828

Stringing the crosses a little tighter than the mains helps.

Richie Rich
09-29-2007, 04:20 AM
these racquets are known to deform easily, especially oder ones.