PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to stop demoing racquets...

Pyroclasm
09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Ok, Ive finally realized that I need to stop demoing after 4 months and decide on a racquet. I should improve my game by playing more and practicing than by trying to find a racquet that will make me better.

Heres a bit about my game:
I play 1 singles for my highschool team. Ive got an aggressive forehand that's usually hit with heavy topspin. One handed slice and topspin backhand. I try to follow my shots to the net when my opponent is out of position and I like to mix in serve and volley as well. My serve is my weakest area, gotta work on my technique more to keep it consistent.

I think I've got it narrowed to about 2 or 3. The tecnifibre tfight 320 16x20, Head Microgel Radical Pro, or the Pure Storm.

With the tecnifibre I've had strong groundstrokes on both sides, everything felt solid and stable. Only drawback was the serve. I had trouble hitting the sweet spot especially when trying to put spin on it.

I was able to hit serves much better with the Microgel, and I could get some nasty kick on second serves. Groundstrokes were decent, but the racquet felt almost too heavy. I had trouble getting the racquet around in time for shots that landed right on the baseline.

The pure storm (the older version, I dont think tennis warehouse sells them anymore) was easily the best racquet for serving. Groundstrokes had tons of spin on them. I'm concerned though that the light weight might make handling volleys and fast paced shots a little difficult.

Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated.

ChocolatePie
09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
It's a good idea to just finally stick with one racket, but I can't imagine how you play 1 singles with so many rackets.

I'd go with the Microgel or the Pure Storm. The Pure Storm should be easy to adjust to volleying and would be a nice racket. I'd go with that one.

fuzz nation
09-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Good for you - it sounds like you're ready to make a choice, get beyond the gear, and keep developing your game.

Because I have an aversion to lighter frames, my inclination is to say that if you suspect that a racquet might be too light for your game, then it probably is too light. I've been disappointed by one or two frames that didn't have enough heft for me, but I was really taken in by their initial feel because they were easy to handle and hit a ball well with right away.

If the Microgel feels heavy, it could be a product of its balance - if it's more evenly balanced than what you're used to, it will swing through the ball with different timing and may even require you to adjust your contact point. Looking at the specs, that racquet isn't what I'd call a real heavyweight so I'd bet that if you went with that one, you'd just need a little while to re-groove your timing.

The TFight is probably similar in that you'd just need to tweak your timing to settle in with it, but when a racquet doesn't cooperate when I try to serve with it, it's a huge turn-off. If you went with that frame, you'd have the potential to tune it with some heavy tape here and there (it lists a rather low swingweight), while the Head already has a good deal of mass out toward the hoop. The Microgel and the TFight sound like they have the most potential for you and the good news is that they're both pretty good racquets (no demerits for the Storm either as long as it isn't too light). Really no "wrong choice" in your case - you're actually making the right choice in pulling the plug on the demos and getting back to your game!

Pyroclasm
09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks chocolatepie. The season doesn't start again until the spring, so I was going to use the summer and fall to demo racquets, hopefully make a choice with enough time to get accustomed to the racquet before the season starts.

Thanks for the supportive response fuzznation. Coming from a 9oz racquet, pretty much anything seems heavy. 9ozs just couldn't handle the pace I was getting from other players. I would imagine that the Microgel and Tecnifibre would hold up well against that weight of shot, due to their static weight. The storm probably would also, or at least much better than my previous racquet.

Any one of these racquets would be a drastic step up I think. I'm going to try and come to a decision by tomorrow, and not put this off any longer.

Anton
09-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I was able to hit serves much better with the Microgel, and I could get some nasty kick on second serves. Groundstrokes were decent, but the racquet felt almost too heavy. I had trouble getting the racquet around in time for shots that landed right on the baseline.

The why not go for the MG Radical 98?
My rad with a leather grip, two overgrips and a bit of lead comes out to the same wight as the Pro but is more maneuverable.

Weak serve is really unforgivable imo - you don't even need a partner to practice this. - take two half hour sessions a week just serving and it will be the strongest component of your game(as it should be) in no time

tbini87
09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
i would not let the serve part of the tfight turn you off right away. i play with the 335 16*20 and actually like it for serving. i had some problems with a kick serve at first also but am slowly getting it on track. not hitting the sweetspot is operator error and not the racquets fault. but good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

PackardDell
09-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Ok, Ive finally realized that I need to stop demoing after 4 months and decide on a racquet. I should improve my game by playing more and practicing than by trying to find a racquet that will make me better.

:) glad you discovered it yourself

had the same experience, tought I had the wrong string pattern but it had nothing to do with it at all. It was my technique

Gee
09-30-2007, 03:13 AM
The why not go for the MG Radical 98?
My rad with a leather grip, two overgrips and a bit of lead comes out to the same wight as the Pro but is more maneuverable.

Maybe a bit off topic but I would like to know

Last week I played two hours with MG Radical Pro. My first impression was an very comfortable solid feel, great power (maybe a little too much but that can be fixed with a higher string tension) and a suitable swingweight.
Also I can serve well with the MG, especially flat serves have more pop than with my current FXP Radical Tour.
Overall a very good racket for my game. Only the direction control could be better IMO. Sometimes I felt I need a smaller headsize and denser stringbed like the Radical 98.

I also demoed the regular MG Radical, but I felt a lack of power due its lightweight.

I wonder how it will play if I add lead but I am shranked from doing that because I don't know how much and on what spots on the frame to add lead.
How to customize the regular Radical 98 so that its weight (as swing as well static) is comparable to the MG Radical Pro?

I look forward to you reply. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hobomagic
09-30-2007, 05:57 AM
I think you would be well off with the Pure Storm according to what you said.

Anton
09-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Maybe a bit off topic but I would like to know

Last week I played two hours with MG Radical Pro. My first impression was an very comfortable solid feel, great power (maybe a little too much but that can be fixed with a higher string tension) and a suitable swingweight.
Also I can serve well with the MG, especially flat serves have more pop than with my current FXP Radical Tour.
Overall a very good racket for my game. Only the direction control could be better IMO. Sometimes I felt I need a smaller headsize and denser stringbed like the Radical 98.

I also demoed the regular MG Radical, but I felt a lack of power due its lightweight.

I wonder how it will play if I add lead but I am shranked from doing that because I don't know how much and on what spots on the frame to add lead.
How to customize the regular Radical 98 so that its weight (as swing as well static) is comparable to the MG Radical Pro?

I look forward to you reply. Any advice would be appreciated.

Personally I thought the pro was a bit too sluggish on the swing with too much power, which made you commit too much on the shot. You either rain bombs or it goes flying - my game is already lacking consistency, Pro would make it even worse - I needed something with less power and more precision.

I strongly suggest putting leather grip on MG rad, here is why:

1. It will add some weight (about 7g?) to the handle.
2. It will add some more "feel" to the impacts.
3. It provides well defined corners for this otherwise sorta roundish grip - mine has double overgrip on top of the leather and the corners are still there.

as far as adding lead - I have (4) strips total (.25mm wide), 1.5" long each - (2) on 10'oclock and (2) on 2 o'clock

I feel like I'm getting more then enough power out of the frame and the added weight made for more plow through the ball.
Of course you can play around with lead tape yourself and find your favorite setup - it's cheap.

BTW higher string tension will not reduce power significantly, what it will reduce is the deflection angle.

blubber
09-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with much of what you're saying Anton.

I considered doing something similar when deciding between the Pro and the MP. I'm sure the MP plays really nice with the added heft.

I ultimately went with the Pro although I find it a little unwieldy sometimes.

I play mostly with spin from the baseline. The deciding factors for me were the following:

I liked the added power of the Pro.
I liked the Pro's open string pattern.
I liked the Pro's larger head size and sweetspot.

The MP was easier to swing fast. That was it's main attribute for me. But the denser pattern, smaller head size, and lower power eventually turned me away.