PDA

View Full Version : mono-vision corrective eye surgery

steebo
09-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Anyone had, or know anyone who is happy with this kind of corrective surgery. It is generally for us over 40 folks who want to stop wearing bifocals. Each Doctor I have talked to suggested it for my tennis playing, saying if I didn't like it they could, free of charge, change the less dominant eye that was corrected for reading, to improve distance vision to match the dominant eye. Then I would still have to wear reading glasses. Some people suggested I try the same correction with contacts, but I tried contacts a couple of years ago, and really hated them.
The doctors said they did the mono-vision for several local tennis players and not a one came back for the procedure to change the less dominant eye. Of course, they would not tell me any names due to privacy concerns.
Thanks for any help
Steve

DavisI
09-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I've had monovision contacts for 10 years now, one eye for near vision and the other for distance. It works amazingly well for most daily activities; computer work, reading, driving, tv, etc. One thing it does not work for is tennis. I can't track the ball with the monovision contacts and am always late getting in position. Try playing with one eye closed and you'll see what I mean; without binocular vision you just don't have good depth perception and can't tell how far away the ball is and where it's headed until it's over the net and bearing down on you. I have a separate set of just distance contacts that I use for tennis and going to the movies.

I'd be interested to hear how this surgery is supposed to work for tennis if it does the same thing my contacts do. Perhaps you don't have as much difference in your prescription for reading and distance. Mine are separated by 2 diopters, which I think is a lot.

steebo
09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks for responding. It was described to me as leaving the non-dominant eye "slightly under corrected". I discussed tennis with the surgeons, but forgot to mention things like stringing tennis racquets. I plan to call the surgeon who I thought was the most helpful Monday.
I can't find anyone who has tried this locally, or even on the net.

scotus
09-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Aren't there multi-focal correction procedures available now?

There are several types of implant lenses you can have. I'm sure they are expensive, and if you have astigmatism, you need LASIK along with the implant.

But these come in handy if you are quite aged and perhaps about to get cataracts soon, in which case you will need lens replacement anyway. And you can correct your vision for both near, mid and far sights.

Kaptain Karl
09-29-2007, 10:58 AM
My Eye Doc had me experiment by trying monovision with my contacts ... before doing the surgery.

I hated it. It gave me huge headaches AND I could not see well.

Doc told me mono works for about 40% of people. I guess I'm in the 60%.

- KK

volusiano
09-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I had Lasik about 3.5 years ago, and my non-dominant eye was fully corrected to 20/20, while my dominant eye didn't turn out as well (it's at 20/25 or 20/30). It wasn't by design to give me mono vision. It just turned out that way, because my dominant eye was more near sighted, so I guess the correction wasn't 100% successful compared to the other eye.

At the time, I wasn't really thrilled that I didn't have 20/20 vision in both eyes after the correction. However, I decided just leave it that way, because I was nearing reading glasses age anyway, so I thought maybe I could use this to my advantage soon.

Now 3.5 years later, I'm 46.5 years old, and I still don't need reading glasses yet, thanks to this decision. I spend most of my days in front of a computer, and I can also read newspapers just fine, thanks to my dominant eye being unintentionally undercorrected.

I don't have any problem playing tennis or watching TV or looking at far away objects either. My 20/20 non-dominant eye takes care of this.

If you experiment with mono-vision with contact lenses and don't like it, I wonder if it's worth switching sides and try to have the dominant eye undercorrected instead.

Kaptain Karl
09-29-2007, 09:28 PM
If you experiment with mono-vision with contact lenses and don't like it, I wonder if it's worth switching sides and try to have the dominant eye undercorrected instead.Since both eyes "normally" had the exact same prescription, I did try switching the mono to the other eye. (I cannot remember which way I started. I just remember it didn't work either way. But that doesn't mean it won't work for many....)

- KK