PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...do pushers know they're pushers...?

PM_revisited
09-28-2007, 08:15 PM
...or is it considered rude to call someone a "pusher"???

I ask b/c I played my last two matches against the same guy, who happens to be a pusher (tg i won). But during a changeover today I was trying to complement his style of play and it went something like this:

me: hey it's always a challenge playing guys like you who p'...i mean gets to all my shots and hits them back...

him: yeah well i try

but it could have gone like this:

me: hey it's always a challenge playing guys like you who pushes everything back. you make me work harder to not take anything for granted.

him: what do you mean by "push".

me: (explain definition)

him: oh, what're you trying to say, i don't know how to hit the ball properly???
what? not good enough for you, am i? you're the one who called me out here this morning? if you're so much better why don't you play someone your own level blah blah blah...

I'm guessing some of these guys take pride in their technique and think they are mirroring someone else :confused:

Teh_pwnerer
09-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Probably, but i play this pusher here sometimes and he admits he has no technique and says i have a nice touch, but yeah his game is ugly =S

SoBad
09-29-2007, 12:10 AM
So why'd you call him up to hit if you despise his game so much you posted this on the forum.

PM_revisited
09-29-2007, 02:35 AM
So why'd you call him up to hit if you despise his game so much you posted this on the forum.
When did I say I despised his game??? :roll: I'm asking if these guys know what style it is they're exhibiting...

"I called him up" b/c it's a good test of will to play pushers (especially at my level 3.5) and like I said in my OP (read it again), he imposes a challenge.

Docalex007
09-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Do ants know they're ants? No

PM_revisited
09-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Hey what up Docalex007. So is it denial or just ignorance?

I'm sure majority of them know when they beat someone who displays better looking strokes than theirs, they're not winning with technique, but instead with good hustle and confidence.

Also imagine a pusher that reads the forums or various tennis webs; when they see the term pusher I wonder if they ever stop to think: "hey, that's right, that's me." I mean some of them are going to wonder what "style" of play they categorize under. Do most of them consider themselves all-court players? And if so, then how can you converse about tennis honestly at all?

Is it not fair to say that pushing is a legitimate style and strategy of match play?

ollinger
09-29-2007, 05:54 AM
It's YOUR ignorance, because you really weren't trying to comliment him. I'm sure most pushers have heard this lots of times and realize you're really saying "it's always a challenge playing you guys with boring steady games." The more interesting comment is when they say back to you "it's always fun playing you guys who go for so many big shots and make all those unforced errors>"

richw76
09-29-2007, 08:29 AM
It's YOUR ignorance, because you really weren't trying to comliment him. I'm sure most pushers have heard this lots of times and realize you're really saying "it's always a challenge playing you guys with boring steady games." The more interesting comment is when they say back to you "it's always fun playing you guys who go for so many big shots and make all those unforced errors>"

I think all pushers are really great athletes and are in good shape, they have to be to win. And lets be honest if they never won they wouldn't be pushers because none can always lose. They would either learn how to play or quit.

I think they know they're a pusher. I like playing the same pushers a few months apart cause it's a good barometer of my progress since those guys never get any better. (In my first season playing leagues I always knew when I was going to play a pusher, They were 3.5 or 3.5+ for over 5 years. I once played a guy that had been doing 3.5 kswiss/usta for 7 years.)

And yeah I think most people would get a little defensive if you called them a pusher. If it's a buddy that's different but playing leagues or whatever you really don't know people and it's always good to be a gracious winner.

j30tennis
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Sadly I have been pushing the ball lately, i think fatigue has alot to do with it. I know exactly when I am doing it and for some reason I keep doing it. This happens when I am playing someone who hits wicked topspin. Hopefully as I play more and more I can remedy this problem. Beeen absent from the game for about 3 years and have recently started playing again. It could be that I switched to the OS Agassi Rad and is heavier than the OS TI. rad i used to hit with. Some more conditoning is in order.

PM_revisited
09-29-2007, 08:51 AM
OHHHHHHHHHH i think someone's made a self-realization here...

j30tennis
09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Pushers are boring, and it aggrevates me to no end that I am lumped into that group with over come this problem

PM_revisited
09-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I think all pushers are really great athletes and are in good shape, they have to be to win. And lets be honest if they never won they wouldn't be pushers because none can always lose. They would either learn how to play or quit.

I think they know they're a pusher. I like playing the same pushers a few months apart cause it's a good barometer of my progress since those guys never get any better. (In my first season playing leagues I always knew when I was going to play a pusher, They were 3.5 or 3.5+ for over 5 years. I once played a guy that had been doing 3.5 kswiss/usta for 7 years.)

And yeah I think most people would get a little defensive if you called them a pusher. If it's a buddy that's different but playing leagues or whatever you really don't know people and it's always good to be a gracious winner.

Thanks rich, this is an answer I was looking for. I feel the same way that's it's always a good idea to play one on occasion too. But it's really too bad that it could be construed as offensive to call them this b/c again, like I said, it really is an effective form of play and I'm not taking anything away from it.

(What I failed to mention is before I started my dialogue, my partner had complimented me first and I was trying to return it.)
But I don't lie or kiss face to anyone by telling them something that isn't true. For example I wasn't going to tell him he had nice strokes b/c he clearly doesn't.

So tell me, during these changeovers or after the match when your opponent who happens to be a pusher asks for your serious advice on how to improve his game, what do you say? "Keep on trucking?" Where's the integrity in that?

Let me define his game in case some of you have an image of a different pusher in mind:

Stands on or a couple feet inside the baseline.
Refuses to let anything bounce that is hit deep, but attempts to catch the ball and return it before it bounces.
His strokes display no follow through most of the time-he punches the ball back.
Is extremely fast, will run everything down.
Left-handed which plays to his advantage against most rightys (but I'm left-handed too but if I wasn't then I'm positive he would've taken more games off of me)
Occasionally will blast flat go-for-winners.
And has hit the occasional deep topspin.

IF HE ASKS FIRST, then you want to able to help him improve his game, suggest a few lessons, tell him to adopt an eastern grip as a start rather than hit everything continental, etc. Then the whole convo will revert sooner or later to a self-realization of what his style is and whether or not he wants to really improve. This whole pushing self-awareness thing seems to be coveted as something so sensitive. If anything I respect these guys and respect the mental challenge they impose upon ourselves. But even the unsuspecting pusher may want to develop into something else...

tenniskid3119
09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
yes most of them know. This one kid at my school knows and he uses it to his advantage. I beat him 6-4. should have been 6-0 or 6-1. He even pushes his serve too.

Photoshop
09-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes I know I'm a pusher and I love it when my playing style gets on your nerve.
I beat him 6-4. should have been 6-0 or 6-1
That's what you think... score will always be 6-4 or something close to it.

raiden031
09-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I have played against a fair number of pushers, and after a match, I almost always talk a little about the match with my opponent. I have heard at least a couple refer to themselves as "human backboards". I have heard some admit that they have lousy strokes but are good at keeping the ball in play. So I'd say they know that their style has limitations or that they are not fully developed players, but I don't know how many actually know of the word "pusher". In fact most people I play against don't use that word at all when describing these types of player, seems that word is used mainly here on this board.