PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this POG.

Oxford
09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I just ordered one of the new Prince Original Graphite Oversize racquets and was telling my sister about it. She says, “Hey, I have one of those stuck away in the garage somewhere.”

So she takes some photos and sends them to me and it appears to be one of the original black ones with a single green stripe. See photos.

QUESTIONS:
- Is this one considered better than the one I just bought here at TW?
- Should I snag this racquet? Is it a collector’s item or a eBya $50 racquet?
- Anyone know the date made and history of this racquet?
- Is this a great racquet?

Thanks much,

OX

LINK TO IMAGES (http://www.theoxfordgroup.com/terry-pog/)

Gundam
09-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi,

It seems to be the first generation model. 110 head size can be misleading. It's 107 as you know but I heard that they put 110 for simplicity. I remember sending an email to prince and according to the reply (gee- it's been years so I might be wrong).

#1 First model (one green stripe) : 1978-1987?
#2 Second model (4 thin golden stripes) : 1987-1993?
#3 Third model (one green + 1 golden stripes) : 1994-

Of course, there have been minor cosmetic changes. As for the first model, I heard about a very first model that came without grommet and had some wooden component in it (not sure of this one). I have 3 #3s and one #2. I don't feel much difference in playing characteristics. I feel #2's finish is slightly better (for example, better quality lettering/printing). Some say #2 is heavier than #3 etc. But for me, whatever the generation it is, POG OS is one of the greatest racquests ever made and sold. They all play very well. It seems your sister has a real one (#1). Just say "Hey sis, I cannot believe you have this antique. It's from late 70s (or early 80s)!". She might hand it over to you for free! :grin:

lethalfang
09-28-2007, 11:11 PM
This one comes between the original model and the 4-stripe model. The original model had no grommets.
I wouldn't call it a collector's item, but it'd go for ~ $100 on eBya if the condition is excellent.