PDA

View Full Version : If Roddick was best last year, Henin was atleast as much

davey25
11-09-2004, 06:48 AM
It is funny how most claim that it was right to consider Roddick the best last year, even though he got to 1 with cheating umpires giving him his U.S open semi with Nalbandian, and Federer had the clear head to head advantage. Yet one who considers Henin the best last year is wrong since she didnt best Serena apart from clay, and she gained the U.S open title and many late year points with Serena absent.

What is the difference here. Roddick only had better results than Federer on one surface-Decoturf as well. Federer had just as clear a head to head advantage(I know Henin lead 2-1 head to head but Henins wins were narrow on clay like Roddicks narrow on decoturf, Henin was crushed the one non-clay, Roddick the two non-decoturf). Federer practically tennis-wise was better than Roddick, just as much as Serena was to Henin. Roddick had just as much luck with cheating line changes and a fan screaming out that a ball was out on a big tiebreak point to give Roddick his cheated U.S open semi win over Nalbandian; then manipulative scheduling to send an exhausted Ferrero to play Roddick in the final. Thus he had just as much luck as Henin with Serena missing tennis after Wimbledon. With Serena playing the second half of the year Justine does not reach 1. Without cheating at the U.S open Roddick wins no slams for the year and ends the year no higher than 4.

So if Roddick deserves to be regarded as the worlds best player for the year 2003 so does Henin. If Henin is not really considered the best for 2003, since Serena was logically a better player, Henin only bettered Serena on clay, and Serena was superior in head to head battles outside one advantaged surface; then Roddick also was not really the best player in 2003, since Federer ability-wise is better than Roddick, Federer was only bettered by Roddick on decoturf, and Roddick was only superior in head to head battles outside on advantaged surface. If Henin didnt end a year 1 with Serena not injured, Roddick doesnt without biased U.S open officiating and directing.

Rabbit
11-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Do what?

SydW
11-09-2004, 07:29 AM
and we care about who's best in 2003 at year end of 2004 because?

davey25
11-09-2004, 07:30 AM
The players care that they are recognized as the best thats for sure. Henin was not for some wierd reason, while Roddick was.

Ariel
11-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Get some sleep, davey.

rafael
11-09-2004, 09:46 AM
I think it is clear who the "best" was by the results at masters last year. Regardless of whoever had the most points.

Women's game is a whole other story.

jun
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't know why these posts keep popping up... After all these years,someone saying Sampras not boring..

anyways, I don't recall anyone saying roddick was the best last year. Everyone would agree Roger had clear edge on Roddick. But Roddick had a great year last year. Starting from late June, he won queens, made semis in Wimbledon, won RCA, won Cinnicinati, won Canada, lost finals in Washington, AND won US Open. That's a serious win. And he clearly had a better hardcourt season than anyone else. So give credit to where it's due.

Doubts about Henin crept up because the ones who were dominating WTA were missing. Henin played great and showed great heart by winning US Open, French, and Aussie Open (am I right?)

There are no such things as lucky winner...You've got to play well to win these.

big ted
11-09-2004, 11:03 AM
the year end ranking isnt subjective. roddick was no 1 last year becuz he ended no 1 in the champions race . he owned the hard courts last year, the most important of all surfaces to master to gain a top ranking

rommil
11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
...only to be biotch slapped in the masters in houston.

davey25
11-09-2004, 02:00 PM
anyways, I don't recall anyone saying roddick
was the best last year. Everyone would agree
Roger had clear edge on Roddick. But Roddick
had a great year last year. Starting from late
June, he won queens, made semis in Wimbledon,
won RCA, won Cinnicinati, won Canada, lost
finals in Washington, AND won US Open. That's a
serious win. And he clearly had a better hardcourt
season than anyone else. So give credit to
where it's due.

Doubts about Henin crept up because the ones
who were dominating WTA were missing. Henin
played great and showed great heart by winning
US Open, French, and Aussie Open (am I right?)

Actually Henin-Hardenne had just as much success with everybody there than Roddick. Roddick only dominated on one surface-decoturf. Henin did dominate one surface when Serena et al were all present, clay. Roddick reaching Wimbledon semis, Australian semis and other good results on other surfaces? Henin also reached Wimbledon semis, Australian semis, and had other good results on other surfaces. Roddick in no way was more proven against the best than Henin.

big ted
11-09-2004, 03:31 PM
anyways, I don't recall anyone saying roddick
was the best last year. .

the ATP said he was the best last year.

VamosRafa
11-09-2004, 08:14 PM
It's difficult to compare the two Tours anyway. Obviously the depth of women's tennis has risen in the past year or so, but in the ATP, even the top men are challenged by guys ranked No. 30 or so.

And I agree that it's all history. Last year Roger wasn't the player he became this year. The Masters Cup last year was the turning point; he got the confidence he needed to maximize his talent. He wasn't doing that before then -- he had spurts for sure, but wasn't as consistent.

Now he is.

But injuries seem to be taking a toll on the whole ATP. I'm wondering how it will affect the quality of the Masters Cup matches, which were top notch last year, in many ways. I guess we'll find out.

Max G.
11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Masters cup is really up for grabs... Federer could dominate but he's a bit injured and that might screw him, Safin's been dominating but he might headcase, Roddick's been slightly off recently... only Hewitt has been playing well for a while now, but he's been simply outclassed by those other three when on.

And of course, with Moya and Coria and Federer injuries could be a factor... I hope they're not and we get a quality TMC, but I'd guess there'll be at least one player that performs under par.