PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ Notre Dame

Pages : 1 [2]

soyizgood
11-16-2010, 06:40 AM
I know it's not college, but I am still ROFLMAO at the contract McNabb got. And that's after all the money the 'skins ****ed away on Haynesworth. I wouldn't let McNabb run QB drills for pop warner kids, let alone fork $40 million in GUARANTEED money.

Kevin T
11-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Boise St. beat TCU last year in their BCS bowl.

Yes, but TCU beat them in their bowl game the year prior and 5 years ago.

Agree about Utah. They've had some quality teams and certainly have performed well against the big guys.

Just wait until Cam Newton becomes ineligible and Auburn has to forfeit their season...or Bama gets the upset. :) If that happens and Oregon loses, for better or worse, a TCU vs. Boise BCS championship will make college football fans' heads explode. :)

NLBwell
11-16-2010, 08:57 AM
As much as I think it's possible that TCU and Boise State are the best two teams (depending upon what happens the rest of the season, of course) I wouldn't really like to see that. I'd like to see TCU's defense go against Oregon's offense. I think TCU would shut them down, but I'd like to know for sure. Boise State vs. Auburn might be a hugely fun shootout. I'd like to measure the two outsiders versus the others, which didn't get to happen last year. As for ending the season with an argument on who is number one, I actually like that. I don't need closure that badly.

soyizgood
11-23-2010, 03:43 PM
USC got bombed by the Beavers. There went the goal of a 10 win season. Still have hacks like UCLA and Notre Dame left to beat.

soyizgood
11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Leave it to ND to blow it on this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1zUKJVEw8&feature=related

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Auburn survived after Bama choked like dogs. Fairley's the only good defensive player they have. Bama went from shutting down Newton and co in the first half to getting steamrolled in the 2nd. Saban seemed to get outcoached in the 2nd half.

Speaking of defense, Oregon seems to have none against Zona. I'm still not convinced either one of these teams is that much better than Boise or TCU. CFB needs a playoff so badly it's not even funny anymore.

And that OSU president is a maroon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5847542

dlk
11-26-2010, 04:09 PM
^^^Agreed.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Refs bailing out Oregon. College sports is so clean, not corrupt at all. :roll:

soyizgood
11-26-2010, 04:22 PM
^^^ tOSU is lucky the NCAA won't go after their national title. Clarett claimed folks took tests for him and that he didn't attend classes. Given how dumb Clarett was there was likely some truth behind it.

I HATE Ohio St. From their school president to their football coach to the generous preseason ranks they get year in and out. A few years ago they got a BCS bid over Boise St. despite being lower ranked than them in the final BCS poll. Tressel is lucky Michigan is in the dumps. And even then they got their butt kicked by Wisconsin this year.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah the Big Ten sucks this year.

Oh and want to know how big a joke the BCS is? UConn will be in a BCS bowl if they win their last 2 games. :roll:
(No offense to all the UConn alums)

dlk
11-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I think Wisconsin is for real.

soyizgood
11-26-2010, 04:28 PM
The Big East is an atrocity this year. You might have a 4 loss team in the BCS bowl. Florida St. a few years back won the ACC with 4 losses (and deservedly got kicked around in the BCS game).

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I think Wisconsin is for real.

We'll see. Putting up 83 on Indiana...is still putting up 83 on INDIANA.

dlk
11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

My alma mater has never been known for it's defense. Their size is equivalent to Townson State.:(

soyizgood
11-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Oregon makes some stupid mistakes early in games. They've been lucky their offense and defense step up in 2nd halfs.

Auburn lucked out as Newton was a non-factor running and Alabama played not to lose instead of playing to win.

I'm pretty sure TCU would slow down either Auburn or Oregon. Boise St. is very quick on both sides of the ball and has shut up BCS lovers twice.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 05:31 PM
ND basketball held Cal to an NCAA record low 5 points in the first half. :shock:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-11-26/irish-hold-cal-to-five-first-half-points

And I know I'm a little late, but my ODU Monarchs did knock ND out of the tourney last year. :D

soyizgood
11-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Oregon once again turns on its jets in the 2nd half. 48-29. Chip Kelly has won 2 PAC-10 titles in his first 2 years as coach.

Where's Dedan's Penthouse now? I told him Oregon was going to take over the PAC-10 while USC is down. He thought Washington was going to be a team in contention this year.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Nevada driving for the lead on Boise in the 4th.

dlk
11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow:shock: Would've been play of year, negated by missed chip shot FG.

dlk
11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Misses again:shock:

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
What a crazy freaking game! Feel sick for that kicker, but wow for Nevada to come back and go through all that to win...hats off to them. Boise goes from possible nat'l title game to out of the picture completely...WOW!

r2473
11-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Hope Boise gets a national title shot. They deserve it :oops:

Nevada is a POWERHOUSE.

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Fact: All of TCU, as well as I, are thankful for Nevada tonight!

soyizgood
11-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Boise CHOKED! Well, their kicker anyway. Special teams did the team in. The WAC isn't so **** poor after all. They have two more quality teams than the ACC and Big East combined.

Kevin T
11-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Boise CHOKED! Well, their kicker anyway. Special teams did the team in. The WAC isn't so **** poor after all. They have two more quality teams than the ACC and Big East combined.

Too bad for the Boise kicker, as he is actually their most prolific kicker ever. The Nevada secondary choked just as bad on the next to last play of regulation. It's unforgivable and straight up poor play to allow a receiver to get behind the D on a Hail Mary play. I'm glad it went to OT. Have fun in the Humanitarian Bowl, Boise St.

As for the WAC having 2 better teams...I believe Va Tech is 4 spots and >1300 points ahead of Nevada in the latest BCS standings. Boise did the same thing to the Hokies in the first game of the season...long pass against a young and inexperienced D with time running down.

dlk
11-27-2010, 02:30 PM

How 'bout now? 70-23 w/over 11minutes to go over NW.

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2010, 07:33 PM
At least for today...LMAO @ USC.

How 'bout now? 70-23 w/over 11minutes to go over NW.

Wisconsin's really good. I still think TCU would go ahead of them if Oregon or AU trip up. Though TCU/Wisconsin would be a good Rose Bowl matchup.

And like I said earlier, it's a shame there's not a 6 team playoff to decide this whole thing. UO/AU get byes, w/ TCU vs Oh St and Stan vs Wisc. Would be a hell of a matchup, its a shame it won't happen anytime before 2013 at the earliest.

soyizgood
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
USC ate dog cr@p today. No other way to explain it. The law of averages was going to bite USC one of these days. On the other hand ND might actually have a decent QB in Rees. Now USC needs to beat UCLA to end the year on a good note.

dlk
11-27-2010, 11:28 PM
At least for today...LMAO @ USC.

Wisconsin's really good. I still think TCU would go ahead of them if Oregon or AU trip up. Though TCU/Wisconsin would be a good Rose Bowl matchup.

And like I said earlier, it's a shame there's not a 6 team playoff to decide this whole thing. UO/AU get byes, w/ TCU vs Oh St and Stan vs Wisc. Would be a hell of a matchup, its a shame it won't happen anytime before 2013 at the earliest.

That 6-team playoff would be awesome. Plus NCAA/schools could make so much money ta-boot, as I'm sure ratings would be through the roof.

mary fierce
11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
So, why exactly does a school with a French name call its teams "the fighting Irish"?

soyizgood
11-28-2010, 07:01 AM
So, why exactly does a school with a French name call its teams "the fighting Irish"?

It's better than being called the Fighting Frogs.

crazysoccer00
11-28-2010, 12:29 PM
glad USC got what they deserve with that D-bag of a coach

mary fierce
11-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes, alot better. So I guess you don't know?

dlk
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, alot better. So I guess you don't know?

http://archives.nd.edu/carey/carey.htm

Dedans Penthouse
11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Still have hacks like UCLA and Notre Dame left to beat.^^^^^^
Well played, mr. clueless.

While I don't have a dog in this fight (not affiliated with USC or ND), it appears that "hack" team just beat the USC cheating athletic department's sleezebag football team on their own field 20-16. And it looks like ND is bowl eligible which begs the question: what bowl game is USC going to? Answer: none, because USC was found guilty of cheating and duly and rightfully punished for their systemic cheating. And what of next year? Again the answer is: none, because USC is duly and rightfully being punished for their cheating.

- Pete Carroll suddenly resigns from his "dream job?" (read the tea leaves)
- USC basketball team: sanctions levied against (courtesy of O.J. Mayo).
- USC woman's tennis team: sanctions levied against.
- Reggie Bush: stripped of his Heisman Trophy for cheating.
- USC forced to vacate their 2005 Orange Bowl win because of Reggie Bush.
- USC potentially forced to vacate a national title (pending appeal).
- Team nickname ('Trojans'): need I say more?
- What a mess!....the 'pattern' reads clear to any right-minded, objective viewer.

however, being the right-minded, objective viewer, I will say this on SC's behalf:

- creamy 'n dreamy cheerleaders though ....yum!...
- good 'fight song'

Did you say "hacks?"

Nah, the only "hacks" were the ones USC's "other O.J." fatally laid on his abused wife and the guy who was tapping her.

Suffice to say, mix "OJ" + "USC" and you can be guaranteed big trouble.

Now why don't you "LMAO" @ that.

Leave it to ND to blow it on this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1zUKJVEw8&feature=related
That was 21 years ago. Dude!....21 years ago. Further, I did attend UM so I'd appreciate you not attaching your cluelessness 'round the 'Canes if you don't mind. Thx.

r2473
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Further, I did attend UM so I'd appreciate you not attaching your cluelessness 'round the 'Canes if you don't mind. Thx.

I shouldn't butt in here, but did you just bash USC sports programs for cheating and then say that you attended UM? Wasn't Miami the "USC of the late 80's early 90's" in pretty much all ways (the dominance, cheating, and general d0uche-baggery)?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-12-02/sports/1995336033_1_university-of-miami-orange-bowl-football

The only thing worse than Miami was the UNLV basketball team (which I believe was recruited directly from prison).

soyizgood
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
^^^^^^
Well played, mr. clueless.

While I don't have a dog in this fight (not affiliated with USC or ND), it appears that "hack" team just beat the USC cheating athletic department's sleezebag football team on their own field 20-16. And it looks like ND is bowl eligible which begs the question: what bowl game is USC going to? Answer: none, because USC was found guilty of cheating and duly and rightfully punished for their systemic cheating. And what of next year? Again the answer is: none, because USC is duly and rightfully being punished for their cheating.

- Pete Carroll suddenly resigns from his "dream job?" (read the tea leaves)
- USC basketball team: sanctions levied against (courtesy of O.J. Mayo).
- USC woman's tennis team: sanctions levied against.
- Reggie Bush: stripped of his Heisman Trophy for cheating.
- USC forced to vacate their 2005 Orange Bowl win because of Reggie Bush.
- USC potentially forced to vacate a national title (pending appeal).
- Team nickname ('Trojans'): need I say more?
- What a mess!....the 'pattern' reads clear to any right-minded, objective viewer.

however, being the right-minded, objective viewer, I will say this on SC's behalf:

- creamy 'n dreamy cheerleaders though ....yum!...
- good 'fight song'

Did you say "hacks?"

Nah, the only "hacks" were the ones USC's "other O.J." fatally laid on his abused wife and the guy who was tapping her.

Suffice to say, mix "OJ" + "USC" and you can be guaranteed big trouble.

Now why don't you "LMAO" @ that.

That was 21 years ago. Dude!....21 years ago. Further, I did attend UM so I'd appreciate you not attaching your cluelessness 'round the 'Canes if you don't mind. Thx.

How many BCS games and ACC titles has Miami won since joining the ACC? Uhhh..ZEEEERO! I'm sure coach Shannon will get it going (been 4 years now). Oh wait, they fired him after he went 28-22. Miami's administration is about as out of touch as ND's.

Now that Florida is the feeding ground for the ACC and SEC, Florida recruits have more (and perhaps better) choices. Is it any coincidence UF, FSU, and scUM are all mediocre now? Heck, U of S. Florida has arguably more upswing potential. The big 3 in Florida, especially THUG U, have to get with the program and adjust.

Seems whoever coaches the U these days ends up with this fate:
http://patrick.net/housing/contrib/sheep_off_cliff.jpg

Dedan's can now turn the mic over to his idol Lamar Thomas to continue the broadcast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDWBW2S3Kg

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Miami's going through a down swing, not dissimilar to the down time SC went through during the 90s. They will be back.

Fla and FSU are mediocre? UF is rebuilding, but was just at the top and will obviously return there. And FSU's playing in the ACC title game for a BCS berth.

These things work in cycles. Bama was down, but came back. Auburn was down, but have come back. If Miami gets Gruden, as is being blown in the wind, they will be back sooner rather than later. Don't know if they'll pony up the money to get Chuckie, though.

General statement: It always amazes me 1.)How emotional people get when it comes to college sports. Just reading around a few message boards, people are downright vicious in their alleigances. Makes the Fed/********* wars look like pillow fights.

and 2.) How short people's memories are when saying certain programs are done or destined to never return to former glory.

soyizgood
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
^^^ Dedan's just trying to a be.... an internet SOLDIER!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ&feature=related

FSU made it to the championship game almost by default if you look at the Atlantic Division. The MWC and WAC have better caliber teams than what FSU faces in that division. They're barely top 25 material.

Urban Meyer should have resigned when he had the chance. His instinct told him last year to quit, but his heart said no. Florida's in a slump. I don't know how their recruiting class is, but they're not really cherry-picking of late.

Miami might get back on its feet (not necessarily BCS bowl level), but in the past 7 years folks have been saying the same thing. The U has lost its swagger, teams aren't scared nor intimidated by the U, and their play has been spotty and lackluster the past several years.

soyizgood
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
TCU will join the Big East in 2012. Ugh! I was looking forward to a Boise St./TCU rivalry. The Big East is so desperate to keep their automatic bid they courted a Texas team. That's like having USC (the REAL one in sunny Los Angeles) play in the SEC. Whatever...

jamesblakefan#1
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM

FSU made it to the championship game almost by default if you look at the Atlantic Division. The MWC and WAC have better caliber teams than what FSU faces in that division. They're barely top 25 material.

Urban Meyer should have resigned when he had the chance. His instinct told him last year to quit, but his heart said no. Florida's in a slump. I don't know how their recruiting class is, but they're not really cherry-picking of late.

Miami might get back on its feet (not necessarily BCS bowl level), but in the past 7 years folks have been saying the same thing. The U has lost its swagger, teams aren't scared nor intimidated by the U, and their play has been spotty and lackluster the past several years.

ESPN has the recruiting class of 2011 looking like this.

1. Texas
2. Bama
3. FSU
4. Florida
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio St.
7. LSU
8. Georgia
9. Clemson
10. Nebraska
11. Notre Dame
12. UNC
13. USC :cry:
14. Auburn
15. Stanford

And Miami's at #23.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/classrankings?classyear=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2fclassrankings%3fclassyear%3d2011

Meyer should have left? Why? Any team that loses a guy like Tebow is going to struggle. To say their destined for mediocrity now after 1 bad season is premature. And FSU seems to be on the upswing, if not for a few blown plays they could be a 1 loss team right now, but as is their playing for a BCS bid. Miami looks a bit more bleak, but they can still get the talent, just need to find the right guy and pony up enough to get him there.

The U swagger has been dead since the 80s, so I don't see how that's an issue. Those early 2000s teams won with supreme NFL talent - Ed Reed, Johnathan Vilma, McGahee, Andre Johnson, Winslow, Shockey, the list is too long to keep going. Now, it's unlikely that they'll get THAT level of talent, but they should return. The problem in Miami seems to be upstairs. The AD and Pres seem to be cheap, that's why they play in Dolphins Stadium instead of a better location in relation to campus. And they seem to go cheap when looking for coaches. It worked with Coker thanks to the aforementioned talent, but Shannon, though a nice recruiter, just wasn't fit to coach college football. They need to get a real coach, someone proven. Gruden may be out of their league, but a guy like Schiano at Rutgers would be a good fit, even though he turned them down a few years back.

Oh and yeah, OJ's pretty much the trump card for anything bad anyone from any other school has done. Just sayin...

Kevin T
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM

USC is only at the beginning of their "down cycle", a la, Miami of the last few years. Get ready for the roller coaster ride. Are we forgetting that Miami dominated Nebraska for the national title in 2002 and lost in a controversial double OT game to Ohio State the following year? Florida has one down year and they are in a slump? They've won 2 titles in the last 4 years...more than USC won during their cheating era. And speaking of USC, the attendance at Saturday's ND loss tells the tale...bandwagon fans of the first order. You won't see anything less than a sell-out at other big program stadiums, even in the lean years.

As for TCU joining the Big East...makes no sense at all...sort of like the Texas schools joining the desperate Pac 10 a few months ago.

As for FSU, they held on to an old/out of touch coach way too long; the same mistake Penn St is making. Blue chips don't want to play for a fossil. FSU is all about football and they'll get it turned around soon enough.

soyizgood
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Oregon goes 12-0 for the 1st time ever. They've booked their ticket for the title game. Auburn's doing their job vs. S. Carolina. Hope Oregon beats those SEC cheats...

dlk
12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't care who wins, but I bet it will be an explosive game, worthy of a title game. Still wish for playoff:(

soyizgood
12-04-2010, 09:59 PM
UConn in a BCS bowl? ROTFLMAO!

dlk
12-05-2010, 03:26 AM

Oh they'd kill TCU:rolleyes: Isn't that crazy? Not even ranked in Top 25, maybe after this week they will be. Watch, they'll make me eat crow when they win their BCS Bowl game (but I doubt it).

soyizgood
12-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Big East, Big 10, and WAC all had 3 way ties for 1st.

UConn got the Big East, Big 10 is a mess (under the pre-BCS era the team the went the longest without playing in the Rose Bowl won which would then go to Mich. St., under the new system the highest ranked BCS team wins which should be Wisconsin, but Wisconsin lost to Mich. St. while Ohio St. didn't face Mich St. this year and lost to Wisconsin).

WAC is a tossup between Nevada, Boise St., and Hawaii. The classic "team A beat B, but A lost to C" issue. Boise St. is higher ranked and imo the better team. The WAC was certainly better than the Big East producing 3 10-win teams, two that would definitely be BCS caliber or at least playoff capable.

jamesblakefan#1
12-05-2010, 08:00 AM
USC: Where stabbing happens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5885712

tennisnoob3
12-05-2010, 08:14 AM

no surprise, usc is in close proximity to a ghetto.

soyizgood
12-05-2010, 08:23 AM

The stabbing occurred in Pasadena, the home of the Rose Bowl and UCLA's home stadium.

About 40 fans of both schools fought at about 4:20 p.m. in a grassy part of Brookside Golf Course that the stadium uses for event parking, Pasadena police Commander Darryl Qualls said.

Qualls said that the last time the annual rivalry game was held at the Rose Bowl in 2008, there were about 50 arrests, but he didn't think any of them were for assault.

jamesblakefan#1
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Yeah them vs Oklahoma should really make a mockery of the BCS system. At least give Boise another chance to embarrass OU, that would be more entertaining than UConn.

tennisnoob3
12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah them vs Oklahoma should really make a mockery of the BCS system. At least give Boise another chance to embarrass OU, that would be more entertaining than UConn.

well at least TCU has an automatic bid as soon as they join the big east.

in case anyone hasnt seen or heard about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcGQ21wtdNI

Kevin T
12-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I've liked Oregon most of the season but after watching Newton against USC twice, LSU, Arkansas and Bama, it's tough to bet against him. He's personally outscored something like 88 D1 teams. His running and passing stats against one of the toughest schedules in college ball are ridiculous. They get a month to rest, which is huge after a tough SEC season. I like the Ducks but Auburn is battle-tested. The Ducks signature win is against Stanford...whose sig win is against....to steal Soy's thread title...LMAO at Notre Dame?! Meanwhile, Auburn beat the defending champ Bama, SC twice, LSU and Arkansas (all top 20 final poll, depending on the poll you look at). Auburn is every bit as quick as Oregon but much more physical. Allegations aside, Newton is that special QB that can take over a college bowl game, a la Tebow, Vince Young and Tommie Frazier. I don't see anyone at Oregon that can do the same.

Meanwhile, my Hokies get Stanford in the Orange Bowl. Stanford should win this game. But Dennis Dodd pointed out that this is the second game for Va Tech against a team in the top 10 for passing efficiency...the other being Boise. But the young Hokies D has grown up and should play much better. The crowd will be 9/10 Va Tech fans.

soyizgood
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I've liked Oregon most of the season but after watching Newton against USC twice, LSU, Arkansas and Bama, it's tough to bet against him. He's personally outscored something like 88 D1 teams. His running and passing stats against one of the toughest schedules in college ball are ridiculous. They get a month to rest, which is huge after a tough SEC season. I like the Ducks but Auburn is battle-tested. The Ducks signature win is against Stanford...whose sig win is against....to steal Soy's thread title...LMAO at Notre Dame?! Meanwhile, Auburn beat the defending champ Bama, SC twice, LSU and Arkansas (all top 20 final poll, depending on the poll you look at). Auburn is every bit as quick as Oregon but much more physical. Allegations aside, Newton is that special QB that can take over a college bowl game, a la Tebow, Vince Young and Tommie Frazier. I don't see anyone at Oregon that can do the same.

Meanwhile, my Hokies get Stanford in the Orange Bowl. Stanford should win this game. But Dennis Dodd pointed out that this is the second game for Va Tech against a team in the top 10 for passing efficiency...the other being Boise. But the young Hokies D has grown up and should play much better. The crowd will be 9/10 Va Tech fans.

Oregon's D is a tale of two halves. The first half D can be loose and a bit suspect. But in the 2nd half they settle down and actually play pretty good. Oregon has shown they can control clock with Thomas making good decisions, Oregon's 1-2 punch in the backfield just overwhelms teams, Chip Kelly is a better coach than Auburn's imo, and Oregon has nothing to lose but go all-out.

Speed vs speed. It will come down to which team's defense steps up to make a big play. Oregon's defense is a bit small, but their quickness could neutralize Newton. I suspect Oregon will have plenty of time to devise a scheme for Newton. GO DUCKS!

Kevin T
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Oregon's D is a tale of two halves. The first half D can be loose and a bit suspect. But in the 2nd half they settle down and actually play pretty good. Oregon has shown they can control clock with Thomas making good decisions, Oregon's 1-2 punch in the backfield just overwhelms teams, Chip Kelly is a better coach than Auburn's imo, and Oregon has nothing to lose but go all-out.

Speed vs speed. It will come down to which team's defense steps up to make a big play. Oregon's defense is a bit small, but their quickness could neutralize Newton. I suspect Oregon will have plenty of time to devise a scheme for Newton. GO DUCKS!

Kelly is a better coach but Newton is a man amongst boys. Saban, Petrino, Miles and the 'old ball coach' (in 2 tries) couldn't figure him out and Kelly has far less experience.

Auburn has faced 2 top 10 teams in total defense and beat them both. Auburn has also looked better than Oregon the last few weeks. Cal is the only top 20 D Oregon has faced and they barely escaped with the win against a poor team. Like I said, Auburn is every bit as fast but they have size and power to go with the speed. In addition, they're rushing D is #10 in D1. Oregon won't beat them passing the ball, for sure.

Of course, Auburn and Newton will probably get sanctioned in a few years, a la Bush and USC, so all will be for naught. :)

hollywood9826
12-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Oregon is banking on Auburn D getting tired in the 2nd half like the rest of the teams they have faced.

I personally dont see Oregon stopping newton.

But Nobody has really had much success stopping Oregon either.

I will favor the SEC everytime because they have the history of BCS NC games behind them. So I think Auburn gets it done.

dlk
12-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Can't laugh too much at ND's Womens Soccer/Futbol team.:shock:

soyizgood
12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I hope the PAC-10 sweeps their BCS games. It's been an okay year even with a down-and-out USC. Heck we could finish the season #1 (Oregon) and #2 (Stanford).

Kevin T
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Oregon is banking on Auburn D getting tired in the 2nd half like the rest of the teams they have faced.

I personally dont see Oregon stopping newton.

But Nobody has really had much success stopping Oregon either.

I will favor the SEC everytime because they have the history of BCS NC games behind them. So I think Auburn gets it done.

Agreed. Oregon shouldn't bank on Auburn's D getting tired. In fact, most of the analysts are saying the opposite...Auburn's O will control the pace and wear out a smaller Oregon D.

r2473
12-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Of course, Auburn and Newton will probably get sanctioned in a few years, a la Bush and USC, so all will be for naught. :)

"Hey, uh, Dad.....who you talkin' to over there"?

"Uh, nobody son.......by the way, you are playing for Auburn, not Mississippi St."

"Sure thing pop."

Kevin T
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
"Hey, uh, Dad.....who you talkin' to over there"?

"Uh, nobody son.......by the way, you are playing for Auburn, not Mississippi St."

"Sure thing pop."

Nice!! But seeing as Papa Cecil Newton is an ordained minister, it may have gone something like this:

Cecil: "Cam, I've really been prayin' on this and feel the Lord wants you at Mississippi St....RING RING RING (home phone rings)...Hmmm, is that right. See you next week. God bless you, brother. (Cecil goes into a meditative trance for a few seconds). Cam, like I said, I've praying real hard on this and feel the Lord wants you at Auburn University".

Cam: "But Pop, I thought you said Miss St?"

Cecil: "Don't back talk me, boy!! The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away and He says Auburn is the place to be!"

Cam: Okay Pop.

r2473
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
^^ :) That sounds about right.

The NCAA must have had a similar "spiritual moment" this week as the Lord revealed that he did not want the threat of TCU in the national championship game.

Kevin T
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
^^ :) That sounds about right.

The NCAA must have had a similar "spiritual moment" this week as the Lord revealed that he did not want the threat of TCU in the national championship game.

Amen, r2. Amen.

Dedans Penthouse
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Oklahoma got kicked around by Texas...A&M! Alabama fans can shut up about making the title game. GO LSU! TCU laid a beatdown on Utah.
soyizgood, I re-read the above and for that matter the last 3 pages of this thread and one thing jumped out at me: you don't limit your psychotic obsession (reeking of insecurity) to ND alone, no, you go on to recklessly insult Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, the NCAA in general......yeah, it's all "them" ..they're all bad and this has nothing to do with your psychotic, POS L.A. trash upbringing/environment *cough* ...... of course not....

Like my posts or not, mine were fact-based and were taking issue with the theme of this thread which consisted of nothing more than one insult levied after another. This thread (and your posts) have advanced nothing and instead have merely served to offer one opinionated swipe after another. I understand that this is who you've been brought up to be, but it still doesn't make it cricket soyboy.

But let's look beyond football for a moment: THIS QUOTE BELOW describes the essense of you and those of your ilk. To purposely take advantage of a mortal tragedy and intentionally attempt to spin a kid's death into something that was INTENTIONAL (i.e. "forced") says it all about you--and you know exactly what you were looking to do in this case. Total lo-rent. Besides your psychotic "I hate everything!" rantings, where is your sense of basic decency? What low-brow hyperbole:

As for Notre Dame, shame on them forcing a student worker to film the team at high altitude in 50 MPH winds which tragically result in his death.

Here's something you probably won't relate to; something they don't do at South Bend. Better yet, let me ask you this: did you join your criminal element POS L.A. trash bretheren and engage in rioting (at great taxpayer expense) while "celebrating" the Laker's latest championship?....ya know, setting fires, overturning LAPD squad cars, looting, robbing, vandalizing.....ya know, "celebrating" LA-style? :confused:

LMAO? Hell, if you and your psychotic mean-spiritedness serve as an indicator of what nowadays comes out of that once-great-city-of-angels-and-dreams-turned-3rd-world-*****hole, then forget your mean-spirited thread's title of "LMAO@ND"..... nah, LA@LA would seem more apropos...as in LA@LA-land. :rolleyes:

P.S. As silly as UConn playing in a BCS game is, one last question: what "bowl" has USC been invited to play in this year? The 'toliet' bowl maybe? And while I'm NO fan of Gino 'run-it-up' Auriemma, isn't UConn's woman's hoops team on the verge of breaking the all-time NCAA winning streak record? So "laugh at" all you want but: how's USC hoops doing, post "o.j." mayo?

soyizgood
12-07-2010, 06:32 PM
soyizgood, I re-read the above and for that matter the last 3 pages of this thread and one thing jumped out at me: you don't limit your psychotic obsession (reeking of insecurity) to ND alone, no, you go on to recklessly insult Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, the NCAA in general......yeah, it's all "them" ..they're all bad and this has nothing to do with your psychotic, POS L.A. trash upbringing/environment *cough* ...... of course not....

Like my posts or not, mine were fact-based and were taking issue with the theme of this thread which consisted of nothing more than one insult levied after another. This thread (and your posts) have advanced nothing and instead have merely served to offer one opinionated swipe after another. I understand that this is who you've been brought up to be, but it still doesn't make it cricket soyboy.

But let's look beyond football for a moment: THIS QUOTE BELOW describes the essense of you and those of your ilk. To purposely take advantage of a mortal tragedy and intentionally attempt to spin a kid's death into something that was INTENTIONAL (i.e. "forced") says it all about you--and you know exactly what you were looking to do in this case. Total lo-rent. Besides your psychotic "I hate everything!" rantings, where is your sense of basic decency? What low-brow hyperbole:

Here's something you probably won't relate to; something they don't do at South Bend. Better yet, let me ask you this: did you join your criminal element POS L.A. trash bretheren and engage in rioting (at great taxpayer expense) while "celebrating" the Laker's latest championship?....ya know, setting fires, overturning LAPD squad cars, looting, robbing, vandalizing.....ya know, "celebrating" LA-style? :confused:

LMAO? Hell, if you and your psychotic mean-spiritedness serve as an indicator of what nowadays comes out of that once-great-city-of-angels-and-dreams-turned-3rd-world-*****hole, then forget your mean-spirited thread's title of "LMAO@ND"..... nah, LA@LA would seem more apropos...as in LA@LA-land. :rolleyes:

P.S. As silly as UConn playing in a BCS game is, one last question: what "bowl" has USC been invited to play in this year? The 'toliet' bowl maybe? And while I'm NO fan of Gino 'run-it-up' Auriemma, isn't UConn's woman's hoops team on the verge of breaking the all-time NCAA winning streak record? So "laugh at" all you want but: how's USC hoops doing, post "o.j." mayo?

Alabama was hyped up by some to where if they won out the SEC with one loss they should be in the title game. Then when it went to two losses they were considered the best 2 loss team in the country. They absolutely choked the Iron Bowl away. I have a love/hate affair with the SEC (tend to root for LSU, neutral good towards Florida) but I watch SEC games when I get the chance because those games are usually quite intense and lively.

You're the obsessed one. You took numerous pot shots at USC well before I said anything to ruffle your beloved U or your precious BIG East. There's a reason the longtime ND vs Miami games were labeled the "the Catholics vs the Convicts." You like to hit and run like you're Hester, but you're as mobile as Sapp away from your keyboard. The Rock might be cooking something, but you're busy throwing things away like Testaverde. Or you played tight end and ended up as whiny/divaish as Winslow and Shockey.

I'd even say you hate USC and the city of Los Angeles more than any school and place I have gripes with. I at least explain my reasons for liking/disliking teams.

USC isn't playing in a bowl this year, but at least we didn't fire our coach going into the oh-so-prestigious Sun Bowl vs ND. Based on form and momentum I'd actually give ND the edge for that one. When was the last time your team played in the ACC title game... uh NEVER?!?! The way things are going the Arizona Wildcats will win the PAC-10 (same number of conference titles as Miami's in the ACC) before the U wins the ACC. You can talk noise, but your 7-5 will likely be 7-6 and no better than USC's record in any case. Then again you 'canes should be used to this mediocrity by now. Perhaps you'll one day supplant the LA Clippers and Chicago Cubs for "lovable losers" the way the school's administration is running things. Nah... they'll just call themselves "America's Team" before it gets to that point.

You mock my city, but were you even born the last time the Flippers won a Super Bowl? When was the last time you attended a Marlins home game? My city might be a mess, but it's not a fricking ghost town like much of South Beach. At least I don't worry about crossing paths with the Cuban gangsters and amnesty recipients, the Haitian drug dealers, nor do I encounter Hurricanes (the team and the actual ones). Our Rose Bowl Parade >>>> Miami's Christmas Parade. Yeah there are some things I don't like about LA, but everyone can find things they like/dislike about their town.

I take our arguments lightly because we're just talking about sports. You take this WAY too seriously and extend arguments out of range because you didn't learn the basics of communication. I guess that was an elective course at the U.

Sentinel
12-08-2010, 12:29 AM
"soyboy"

LMAO !!!!

soyizgood
12-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Looks like the WAC is doomed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5907111

Dedans Penthouse
12-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Alabama was hyped up by some to where if they won out the SEC with one loss they should be in the title game. Then when it went to two losses they were considered the best 2 loss team in the country. They absolutely choked the Iron Bowl away. I have a love/hate affair with the SEC (tend to root for LSU, neutral good towards Florida) but I watch SEC games when I get the chance because those games are usually quite intense and lively.

You're the obsessed one. You took numerous pot shots at USC well before I said anything to ruffle your beloved U or your precious BIG East. There's a reason the longtime ND vs Miami games were labeled the "the Catholics vs the Convicts." You like to hit and run like you're Hester, but you're as mobile as Sapp away from your keyboard. The Rock might be cooking something, but you're busy throwing things away like Testaverde. Or you played tight end and ended up as whiny/divaish as Winslow and Shockey.

I'd even say you hate USC and the city of Los Angeles more than any school and place I have gripes with. I at least explain my reasons for liking/disliking teams.

USC isn't playing in a bowl this year, but at least we didn't fire our coach going into the oh-so-prestigious Sun Bowl vs ND. Based on form and momentum I'd actually give ND the edge for that one. When was the last time your team played in the ACC title game... uh NEVER?!?! The way things are going the Arizona Wildcats will win the PAC-10 (same number of conference titles as Miami's in the ACC) before the U wins the ACC. You can talk noise, but your 7-5 will likely be 7-6 and no better than USC's record in any case. Then again you 'canes should be used to this mediocrity by now. Perhaps you'll one day supplant the LA Clippers and Chicago Cubs for "lovable losers" the way the school's administration is running things. Nah... they'll just call themselves "America's Team" before it gets to that point.

You mock my city, but were you even born the last time the Flippers won a Super Bowl? When was the last time you attended a Marlins home game? My city might be a mess, but it's not a fricking ghost town like much of South Beach. At least I don't worry about crossing paths with the Cuban gangsters and amnesty recipients, the Haitian drug dealers, nor do I encounter Hurricanes (the team and the actual ones). Our Rose Bowl Parade >>>> Miami's Christmas Parade. Yeah there are some things I don't like about LA, but everyone can find things they like/dislike about their town.

I take our arguments lightly because we're just talking about sports. You take this WAY too seriously and extend arguments out of range because you didn't learn the basics of communication. I guess that was an elective course at the U.
It was never about USC - Miami so your "you took pot shots at USC long before I ruffled your beloved U..." comment is irrelevant. Repeatedly I said I didn't have a dog in the fight (no USC or ND affiliation), you were called on your thread's INSULT-based premise...and in particular, attempting to play the moral authority card with that underhanded comment about the kid's death in that wind-toppled tower---that was the capper. Again, this is not about UM or the Big East. This was about a USC-based sneer in a thread that you've seen fit to perpetuate FOR YEARS with [u]its sole intent[/i] being to ridicule an institution that you and probably 98% here wouldn't pass admissions muster....this while your "Boys of Troy" burned the NCAA rule book. Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo, Carrol's flight....on and on...

Lastly, I don't know what was meant by "amnesty recipients" to describe Miami, but did you say "amnesty?" L.A.? L.A. is the "gave away the store" capital of the U.S. L.A. doesn't even have an NFL franchise?? Hmmm...curious on a number of levels. I'm out.

jamesblakefan#1
12-13-2010, 08:35 AM
L.A. is a great sports tow....L.A. is a good sports tow....no, that's not it either. L.A. is a front-running sports town. Yep, that's it.

soyizgood
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM

Where's that "soldier" PP...ops DP now? MIA (missing in action) or stuck in MIAmi? Convicts got locked up. PWN3D!

soyizgood
01-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Big 10 just can't handle SEC speed:

Exhibit A:
Miss. St. 52
Michigan 14

Exhibit B:
Alabama 49
Michigan St. 7

Exhibit C:
Florida 37
Penn St. 24

LOUSY bowl season for the Big 10. Northwestern also lost. Soon to be Big-10 Nebraska lost to lowly Washington.

Dedans Penthouse
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Where's that "soldier" PP...ops DP now? MIA (missing in action) or stuck in MIAmi? Convicts got locked up. PWN3D!
lol
Boy that ***-kicking I gave you must've really smarted if you're still trying WEEKS LATER. "PP..oops DP?" Oh dear..that's trite, even for you.

But what's really pathetic (not to mention hypocritical) is you using ND in trying to save face. YOU who started this thread with the sole intent to disparage and ridicule the University of Notre Dame are a fraud and a hypocrite. The fact is, 'twas I who came to ND's defense when you took your ND hatred to base, sleazy levels (e.g. the tower incident), so you should be the last person to use ND for your lame attempt to save face. As for Miami, they went through the motions; no coaching presence to make them accountable for their half-assed effort. Al Golden will change that in no time flat...as surely as USC is the only team around here who didn't even play in a bowl game. So who are the convicts here? Fool.

on-topic: well done TCU! Way to beat Wisconsin, a team that felt compelled to throw a 74-yard touchdown PASS while leading 69-14 with 7 minutes to go en route to running-it-up against Indiana (83 points?!!!) and who made it a point to run it up and drop 70+ points on their opponents on THREE occassions this season. Good job by the Horned Frogs in shoving that shiate sandwich down Bret Bielema's throat.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Exhibit A:
Miss. St. 52
Michigan 14

Exhibit B:
Alabama 49
Michigan St. 7

Exhibit C:
Florida 37
Penn St. 24

LOUSY bowl season for the Big 10. Northwestern also lost. Soon to be Big-10 Nebraska lost to lowly Washington.

The SEC handed out some Big 10 'whoopins' on New Year's Day. Apparently, the Big 10 had the worst bowl day in history, losing all 5 games they played. South Carolina looked horrible the night before against a 'returning to old form' FSU squash. There was a lot of talk this year about the Big 10 being much improved...guess not. Not only did Bama and Miss St. beat the Big 10 with speed, they dominated the line of scrimmage and pushed them around on both sides of the ball...faster and stronger. And now Ohio St. gets Arkansas. I like the Buckeyes but I can't see them scoring with the Hogs.

Gotta give it up to the Mountain West, 4-1 in bowl play, regardless of who they played. The ACC and Big East are representing well, going 4-3 and 3-2, respectively. My Hokies get Stanford tonight. Stanford should win but Va Tech has looked good in the past few months. Just hoping for a good game.

r2473
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Was anyone really surprised by the Big 10 showing. They were the underdogs in every game (Iowa got a lucky win on a pick-6 and nobody really knew what to expect with Illinois-Baylor).

Alabama should be playing for the National championship. Michigan St. was pretty bad all year and could have easily lost 3+ games.

Northwestern was without their star QB (pretty much their team). They aren't that good anyway, but they are downright bad w/o Persa.

Penn St. and Florida are both awful this year. That game was horrible.

And Michigan? I'm pretty sure any high school team in the country could put up 50 pts. on that defense.

Wisconsin / TCU was a pretty decent game. TCU wanted it more I thought and that was the difference. TCU would give most teams a battle (except probably Alabama IMO).

OSU Arkansas won't be a good game, but should be close. Really depends on how many yards Pryor can run for on key 3rd downs and how well Mallett plays. Mallett is a good pro-style QB. Not quite as good as Andrew Luck, but I would say as good as anyone else this year including Locker and Newton. Pryor won't even get drafted as a QB.

That Florida St. / South Carolina game was just awful. 6 turnovers and FS barely eeks out a win? Pathetic.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Was anyone really surprised by the Big 10 showing. They were the underdogs in every game (Iowa got a lucky win on a pick-6 and nobody really knew what to expect with Illinois-Baylor).

Alabama should be playing for the National championship. Michigan St. was pretty bad all year and could have easily lost 3+ games.

Northwestern was without their star QB (pretty much their team). They aren't that good anyway, but they are downright bad w/o Persa.

Penn St. and Florida are both awful this year. That game was horrible.

And Michigan? I'm pretty sure any high school team in the country could put up 50 pts. on that defense.

Wisconsin / TCU was a pretty decent game. TCU wanted it more I thought and that was the difference. TCU would give most teams a battle (except probably Alabama IMO).

OSU Arkansas won't be a good game, but should be close. Really depends on how many yards Pryor can run for on key 3rd downs and how well Mallett plays. Mallett is a good pro-style QB. Not quite as good as Andrew Luck, but I would say as good as anyone else this year including Locker and Newton. Pryor won't even get drafted as a QB.

That Florida St. / South Carolina game was just awful. 6 turnovers and FS barely eeks out a win? Pathetic.

I was actually very surprised. Not so much for the losses or wins but by the margins. I really thought Mizzou and Baylor would win those games. I had Miss St and Bama winning but not by such large margins (and if you watched the games, not by such sheer domination-it was soooo apparent who had the better team in both match-ups). I'll always take the SEC in a toss-up game, so I had Florida winning. South Carolina looked really good at times this season and should have beaten FSU. And even though TCU had the higher ranking, I thought Wisconsin (as did most of the TV talking heads) would have too much talent for TCU and wear them down in the end. Oops!

soyizgood
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Ohio St. has an AWFUL record vs SEC teams in bowls. I remember it being 0-9? It would be an epic fail if all 3 Big-10 co-champs lost their bowls and I think it will actually happen. Three kings becoming three little bridesmaids.

r2473
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Having watch Michigan St. this year, I knew Bama would kick *** on both sides of the ball. The only "wild card" was if they would bring full effort (a' la against Utah).

Michigan I expected to score more. Was expecting a 85 over / under. Seriously.

Iowa was probably the best team in the Big 10 this year and laid a massive egg (and had plenty of off field problems). Hard to believe they gave up a winning 4th quarter / last drive TD in ALL their losses (except Minnesota) mainly because the defense was too tired to stop anyone. They should have lost to Indiana this year too, but their receiver dropped the winning TD in the endzone, standing all alone.

TCU is like Utah. This is their superbowl, so they just played all out and wanted it more. I expected that Wisconsin would just run them over. Was surprised when they started passing the ball.

South Carolina simply ****ed that game down their legs, which happens sometimes at this level. Spurrier was beside himself in disbelief.

In my mind, Bama is still the best team in college football this year (and it ain't even that close). They got a bit complacent and paid the price.

I really, really hope Oregon wins it this year.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Ohio St. has an AWFUL record vs SEC teams in bowls. I remember it being 0-9?

You are correct, sir. Not to mention the fact that the Hogs played a number of top 25 teams this year, while OSU's schedule was light (I just can't consider the Big 10 wins as quality wins :)). By the way, Bama was 4th IN THE SEC WEST AND MISS ST WAS 5TH...NOT IN THE WHOLE SEC, JUST THE WESTERN DIVISION. :) OSU lost to Wisconsin and barely pulled one out against Iowa. Could be ugly.

p.s. New Big 10ers Nebraska looked horrendous against Washington, so add another Big 10 loss to the pile.

r2473
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Ohio St. has an AWFUL record vs SEC teams in bowls. I remember it being 0-9? It would be an epic fail if all 3 Big-10 co-champs lost their bowls and I think it will actually happen. Three kings becoming three little bridesmaids.

Well, Ohio St. isn't "good". I can tell you that for sure. I'm not really sure how good Arkansas is though. I don't think we are going to see a high quality football game.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Having watch Michigan St. this year, I knew Bama would kick *** on both sides of the ball. The only "wild card" was if they would bring full effort (a' la against Utah).

Michigan I expected to score more. Was expecting a 85 over / under. Seriously.

Iowa was probably the best team in the Big 10 this year and laid a massive egg (and had plenty of off field problems). Hard to believe they gave up a winning 4th quarter / last drive TD in ALL their losses (except Minnesota) mainly because the defense was too tired to stop anyone. They should have lost to Indiana this year too, but their receiver dropped the winning TD in the endzone, standing all alone.

TCU is like Utah. This is their superbowl, so they just played all out and wanted it more. I expected that Wisconsin would just run them over. Was surprised when they started passing the ball.

South Carolina simply ****ed that game down their legs, which happens sometimes at this level. Spurrier was beside himself in disbelief.

In my mind, Bama is still the best team in college football this year (and it ain't even that close). They got a bit complacent and paid the price.

I really, really hope Oregon wins it this year.

Spurrier gets out-coached these days and just can't seem to recruit with the big boys in the SEC. South Carolina is improving but by the smallest of baby steps.

I agree that Bama had the goods to dominate again. I could understand one loss but not three (and honestly, they should have lost to Arkansas).

I'm kind of neutral on the championship game. I'm a southerner and ACC/SEC grad, so I always pull for my conferences but I like Oregon and would like to see a different team win it all. But remember what Ohio St. did to Oregon last year? Cam Newton is light years ahead of Pryor.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Well, Ohio St. isn't "good". I can tell you that for sure. I'm not really sure how good Arkansas is though. I don't think we are going to see a high quality football game.

Arkansas is very good, only losing to Bama (on a very bad pick by the QB at the end of the game) and #1 Auburn. Big wins against LSU, Miss St., South Carolina, Texas A&M. They can put up some points and I believe OSU still has a top 3 defense, so a nice match-up on paper.

r2473
01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Arkansas is very good, only losing to Bama (on a very bad pick by the QB at the end of the game) and #1 Auburn. Big wins against LSU, Miss St., South Carolina, Texas A&M. They can put up some points and I believe OSU still has a top 3 defense, so a nice match-up on paper.

I really never saw Arkansas this year, but I knew Mallett was good. Sounds like it should be another SEC beat down of the Big10. OSU really isn't that good. They rely on Pryor's legs to score points and keep drives alive. Not sure how the OSU defense will stack up. Probably not good enough, especially as the game wears on.

How do you see the Stanford / VT game playing out tonight? I haven't seen too much of either team. Just enough to know Stanford has a really good QB.

billsgwn
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Exhibit A:
Miss. St. 52
Michigan 14

Exhibit B:
Alabama 49
Michigan St. 7

Exhibit C:
Florida 37
Penn St. 24

The Big 10 is a joke and their commissioner is the one who actually said the non AQ teams are the ones who dont belong? The ones who didnt belong in the New Years Day bowls were the Big 10 teams. Going 0-5 is a disgrace and if Boise or TCU were to have been beaten like a drum like Mich ST did, they would never get another shot at another bigtime bowl. Boise should have been in a New Years Day bowl instead of the one on Dec 22nd. The system is controlled by the big boys abd they dont want to be embarassed by the non AQs so they always discredit anything they do.

billsgwn
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I really never saw Arkansas this year, but I knew Mallett was good. Sounds like it should be another SEC beat down of the Big10. OSU really isn't that good. They rely on Pryor's legs to score points and keep drives alive. Not sure how the OSU defense will stack up. Probably not good enough, especially as the game wears on.

How do you see the Stanford / VT game playing out tonight? I haven't seen too much of either team. Just enough to know Stanford has a really good QB.

VT goes undefeated in the ACC but lost to Boise State. TCU has won like 30 of their last 31 games and their one loss in those game was to Boise State yet the big boys do everything possible to exclude Boise again.

billsgwn
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Yea but Ohio States Defense is so highly rated because all they play are the cream puffs that got annihilated in all their bowl games. The voters should be taking into acount the Big 10s schedule just as much as they wanna rip on Boise States schedule. Anyone think Boise couldnt have put up a better performance against Bama than Mich State did? I seem to remember another non AQ team (Utah) actually pounding Bama in their Sugar Bowl matchup just a few years ago.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) for a tight game, which gives Tech a chance. Probably high 20's/low 30's for scoring. Tech has only faced one other top 10 passing O this year (Boise) and really should have won that game, giving it up on that last, long drive of the game. Tech today vs. the Boise game is night and day. The D is very young but playing much, much better. Tyrod is making better decisions and they have a good running game. Their only common opponent is Wake F, who they both destroyed. Tech is deep at running back and has a good secondary. They will need Luck to give up at least 2 picks, IMHO. The Hokies record against the top 5 is horrendous, 1-18. The last line I saw had Stanford as 3.5 point faves.

r2473
01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
The Big 10 is a joke

It certainly moves in cycles.

The ACC, Big East, and Pac-10 (and Big 12 to a large extent) should be sending the Big 10 Christmas cards for taking the heat off of their lousy conferences. The Big10 took all of the SEC opponents and are getting stomped. Not sure if the other conferences would be faring that much better. I expected the Big10 to be "0'fer". But at the college level, I guess you pretty much expect at least 1 of 8 games to go your way. Iowa should have lost. I guess Illinois is our lone "star".

The landscape of college sports is changing. Think of all the "lesser" conferences that are good in basketball these days.

billsgwn
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
The landscape of college sports is changing. Think of all the "lesser" conferences that are good in basketball these days.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I have been saying. I know so many people who insisted that Butler couldnt compete with the basketball teams in the Big 12, SEC, Big 10 or ACC yet they made it al lthe way the the champisonship game last year. The big boy conferences just arent as dominant as their fans want them to be and they cant fathom losing to a team they hadnt heard of 5-10 years ago so they just want to exclude them from getting an opportunity.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
The landscape of college sports is changing. Think of all the "lesser" conferences that are good in basketball these days.

Thats exactly what I have been saying. I know so many people who insisted that Butler couldnt compete with the basketball teams in the Big 12, SEC, Big 10 or ACC yet they made it al lthe way the the champisonship game last year. The big boy conferences just arent as dominant as their fans want them to be and they cant fathom losing to a team they hadnt heard of 5-10 years ago so they just want to exclude them from getting an opportunity.[/QUOTE]

But how many championships have the little guys won? Basketball seems to be fairest of all and Butler was there to the end. But go back 30 years and think of how many mid-major schools even made it to the title game. The answer is 3, Indiana St with Larry Bird, Butler of last year and the UNLV teams of the late 80's/early 90's (mid-major depending on who you ask, plus tons of reasons to believe Tark was playing very dirty pool) and only the Rebs won it all. College football does lock out these good mid-majors. But there's a huge, huge difference in playing an SEC schedule vs. a MWC or WAC schedule. I think any logical person would agree. Do you honestly think TCU/Utah/Boise would survive the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10 with an undefeated record? I don't. Three or four of their best guys would get hurt at some point, no question. The big guys get the best players (overall, no arguing that-just look at who's playing in the NFL on Sunday) and the best coaches (again, overall), so of course everyone wants to see them in bowls. Big difference in a "one and done" opportunity vs. playing top 25 teams back to back to back (as typically happens with the SEC, etc.). We'll see how TCU does in the Big East, which isn't exactly a barn-burner as of late.

r2473
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
But there's a huge, huge difference in playing an SEC schedule vs. a MWC or WAC schedule. I think any logical person would agree. Do you honestly think TCU/Utah/Boise would survive the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10 with an undefeated record? I don't. Three or four of their best guys would get hurt at some point, no question. The big guys get the best players (overall, no arguing that-just look at who's playing in the NFL on Sunday)

TCU and Boise would have done fine this year in the "big conferences". Undefeated? Probably not, but they would have been quite competitive. The Urban Meyer Utah team (2005?) would have been competitive as well. Maybe not the 2008 team. And let's not forget the BYU National Championship team :(

I'm actually surprised when I listen to the starting line-ups before NFL games and see how many players are from "small" schools. I know BYU and Utah put a decent number of players in the NFL. The big schools get the best high school players. But often, some of these guys that weren't quite there coming out of high school get much bigger and better in college. And sometimes these smaller schools will take the....er....."academically challenged" student athletes. Utah State recruits straight out of Compton (which is funny to see these guys running around in a sleepy mormon Utah town).

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
And let's not forget the D-1A rushing record for a game is held by one of those 'little guys', LaDanian Tomlinson from TCU in 1999. I wonder if he ever went on to do anything in the pros...:?

soyizgood
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
You are correct, sir. Not to mention the fact that the Hogs played a number of top 25 teams this year, while OSU's schedule was light (I just can't consider the Big 10 wins as quality wins :)). By the way, Bama was 4th IN THE SEC WEST AND MISS ST WAS 5TH...NOT IN THE WHOLE SEC, JUST THE WESTERN DIVISION. :) OSU lost to Wisconsin and barely pulled one out against Iowa. Could be ugly.

p.s. New Big 10ers Nebraska looked horrendous against Washington, so add another Big 10 loss to the pile.

The toughest team Ohio St. faced was Wisconsin and the Badgers convincingly beat them.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
TCU and Boise would have done fine this year in the "big conferences". Undefeated? Probably not, but they would have been quite competitive. The Urban Meyer Utah team (2005?) would have been competitive as well. Maybe not the 2008 team. And let's not forget the BYU National Championship team :(

I'm actually surprised when I listen to the starting line-ups before NFL games and see how many players are from "small" schools. I know BYU and Utah put a decent number of players in the NFL. The big schools get the best high school players. But often, some of these guys that weren't quite there coming out of high school get much bigger and better in college. And sometimes these smaller schools will take the....er....."academically challenged" student athletes. Utah State recruits straight out of Compton (which is funny to see these guys running around in a sleepy mormon Utah town).

Honestly, I couldn't see TCU or Boise coming out of any power conference with less than two losses and I'm being generous. The weekly beatings and the toll they take increase exponentially as the season wears on. What if the New England Patriots got to play the Carolina Panthers 14 times with only one or two challenging games thrown in for the season? That's a fair comparison to Boise St and TCU. There's a big reason we see so much parity in the NFL these days...the winners get tough schedules the next year and with a few exceptions, can't make it back to the big game. Teams get favorable/weaker schedules (my Chicago Bears in 06/07, for example) following a bad year, then make it to the Super Bowl.

Here's a good article from USA Today a few years back:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-04-21-draft-database-cover_N.htm

It's crazy how many NFL players Louisiana, Mississippi and Bama produce, per capita. It's also incredible how many D1/NFL guys come from the Hampton Roads/Tidewater are of Virginia (my home state).

The most recent article I saw said >80% of first round picks over the last 10 years are from the Big 6 conferences (SEC, PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Big East) and ~10% from non-BCS schools.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
And let's not forget the D-1A rushing record for a game is held by one of those 'little guys', LaDanian Tomlinson from TCU in 1999. I wonder if he ever went on to do anything in the pros...:?

See above post RE pros from "little schools". No one is saying non-BCS schools don't produce talent but as a percentage, there's no comparison. Or as my Dad always said, "The sun even shines on a dog's rear some days". :) (and don't freak out anyone...not calling non-BCS schools dog's rears :)).

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Honestly, I couldn't see TCU or Boise coming out of any power conference with less than two losses and I'm being generous. The weekly beatings and the toll they take increase exponentially as the season wears on.

It varies depending on the year, and depending on the big conference. The SEC though overrated by its fanboys is definitely the top dog,and put any school in there and they would take their lumps. AU was fortunate to come out w/ a perfect record, and credit to them.

ACC, Big Ten, Pac 10 were all down this year. ACC and Big Ten seem to be perennially down now, and we all saw how Boise did against the ACC champs this year.

Big East? I'd definitely say Boise and TCU this year would go undefeated in those conferences. Syracuse? UConn? Football powerhouses?

Big 12 is always in flux, but would probably give them a ding or two.

Overall it isn't that much of a space between the big boys and the little guys. Boise/TCU would definitely be top 2 in the ACC/Big East, likely top 3 in the Big Ten/Pac 10, top 4 in the Big 12, and top 6 in the SEC.

Kevin T
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
It varies depending on the year, and depending on the big conference. The SEC though overrated by its fanboys is definitely the top dog,and put any school in there and they would take their lumps. AU was fortunate to come out w/ a perfect record, and credit to them.

ACC, Big Ten, Pac 10 were all down this year. ACC and Big Ten seem to be perennially down now, and we all saw how Boise did against the ACC champs this year.

Big East? I'd definitely say Boise and TCU this year would go undefeated in those conferences. Syracuse? UConn? Football powerhouses?

Big 12 is always in flux, but would probably give them a ding or two.

Overall it isn't that much of a space between the big boys and the little guys. Boise/TCU would definitely be top 2 in the ACC/Big East, likely top 3 in the Big Ten/Pac 10, top 4 in the Big 12, and top 6 in the SEC.

How on planet Earth is the SEC overrated? If you read the USA Today article, you'll see how they dominate the NFL draft. They have the most overall BCS bowl game wins and championship wins. The SEC is undefeated at 6-0 in BCS championship games and have won 4 in a row and favored to take the 5th consecutive title. Every talking head on TV, even the ex-Big 10ers, Big 12ers and Pac 10ers know the deal and admit to such every Saturday.

As for predicting TCU/Boisie could be top 2 in the ACC/Big East...possibly. But being top 2 in those conferences won't get you close to a national title game. Lower level BCS game...maybe, but more than likely a trip to the Chick fil-A or Outback Bowl and certainly not in the BCS championship discussion.

There is a huge difference in playing in front of 25k vs. 100k every week. There is an even bigger difference in facing future NFL studs every week vs. good players destined to become insurance salesmen.

r2473
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Honestly, I couldn't see TCU or Boise coming out of any power conference with less than two losses and I'm being generous.

Ya, just competitive, not winning them or anything.

As for the rest, it goes in cycles. If someone had said 20 years ago that Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, and Notre Dame would basically be crap, you would have thought they were crazy. Texas and Florida sucking this year? Nobody saw that coming. Florida St. falling off the map recently? Auburn and Bama have been down for years and have only recently come back to glory (and Auburn's glory will be very short lived me thinks).

As far as NFL players, here you go:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, talent is talent no matter where it goes, and the cream always rises regardless of competition. Of course the big boys stack up on the best players, but more and more conferences like the WAC and MWC, among others, have talent that can compete at the next level.

billsgwn
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Thats exactly what I have been saying. I know so many people who insisted that Butler couldnt compete with the basketball teams in the Big 12, SEC, Big 10 or ACC yet they made it al lthe way the the champisonship game last year. The big boy conferences just arent as dominant as their fans want them to be and they cant fathom losing to a team they hadnt heard of 5-10 years ago so they just want to exclude them from getting an opportunity.

But how many championships have the little guys won? Basketball seems to be fairest of all and Butler was there to the end. But go back 30 years and think of how many mid-major schools even made it to the title game. The answer is 3, Indiana St with Larry Bird, Butler of last year and the UNLV teams of the late 80's/early 90's (mid-major depending on who you ask, plus tons of reasons to believe Tark was playing very dirty pool) and only the Rebs won it all. College football does lock out these good mid-majors. But there's a huge, huge difference in playing an SEC schedule vs. a MWC or WAC schedule. I think any logical person would agree. Do you honestly think TCU/Utah/Boise would survive the SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10 with an undefeated record? I don't. Three or four of their best guys would get hurt at some point, no question. The big guys get the best players (overall, no arguing that-just look at who's playing in the NFL on Sunday) and the best coaches (again, overall), so of course everyone wants to see them in bowls. Big difference in a "one and done" opportunity vs. playing top 25 teams back to back to back (as typically happens with the SEC, etc.). We'll see how TCU does in the Big East, which isn't exactly a barn-burner as of late.[/QUOTE]

I dont think anyone is saying that Boise would go undefeated in the SEC. Hell, Bama and all the other teams in the SEC besides Auburn lost 2 or more games so they arent going undefeated either. I honestly think that Boise wouldve won the ACC or the Big East. I dont think its fair to say that Boise wouldnt do well in these other conferences either. Do you honestly think any Big 10 team would do well in the SEC as well? They beat VA Tech on the road and Va Tech went undefeated in conference. They have tried to schedule SEC shools for years but none of them wil ever agree to play at Boise. They only want Boise to come to them. Georgia has finally agreed to a home and home series so they open up with them next season.

soyizgood
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Stanford is slaughtering VT. If Oregon wins the PAC-10 could have the top 2 teams in the country.

soyizgood
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
The ACC had one garbage division and the SEC East was a joke this year. BSU and TCU could have run the table in the ACC especially if VT and FSU are the best that conference has to offer.

r2473
01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
The ACC had one garbage division and the SEC East was a joke this year. BSU and TCU could have run the table in the ACC especially if VT and FSU are the best that conference has to offer.

....and yet BSU couldn't run the table or even win the WAC.

But if they were in the garbage ACC, SEC East, Big 10, Big 12, or Big East, it would have been domination. But not the mighty WAC. Just a little too tough of a task for anyone.

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
....and yet BSU couldn't run the table or even win the WAC.

But if they were in the garbage ACC, SEC East, Big 10, Big 12, or Big East, it would have been domination. But not the mighty WAC. Just a little too tough of a task for anyone.

To be fair, Boise's kicker gagged and the team Boise lost to was a top 25 team in Nevada. Meanwhile VT lost to Boise and followed it up by losing to D-1AA James Madison, then still gets to go to the BCS to embarrass themselves (again).

I'm happy Tech's losing. Hokie fans are insufferable in their Hokiedom. It's like everyone here in VA is a Tech bandwagoner, even people that don't go there. Thank you Michael Vick for giving birth to a state full of annoying Hokies.

r2473
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Ya, Boise did kick the hell out of quite a few James Madison caliber teams.

BSU was a good team this year. But to say they would for sure run the table in the bigger conferences when they couldn't even take care of business in their own very weak conference is.........a little silly.

Against Nevada, the kicker should have never even had a chance to choke. They let up and paid the price. It happens to even the best teams.

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know...the Big East this year was dreadful with no top 25 teams, and the ACC wasn't much better. At worst they'd lose 1 game in either of those conferences this year.

I can see that the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 10 are the big boy conferences, but putting the ACC and Big East in their class this year is overrating them. Honestly neither VT nor UConn deserved their BCS spot.

Kevin T
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
To be fair, Boise's kicker gagged and the team Boise lost to was a top 25 team in Nevada. Meanwhile VT lost to Boise and followed it up by losing to D-1AA James Madison, then still gets to go to the BCS to embarrass themselves (again).

I'm happy Tech's losing. Hokie fans are insufferable in their Hokiedom. It's like everyone here in VA is a Tech bandwagoner, even people that don't go there. Thank you Michael Vick for giving birth to a state full of annoying Hokies.

Don't be a hater. It's the state school, a la Bama, UNC, WVU, Nebraska...of course the whole state is pulling for them. If you think Tech fans are annoying, you've never been to an SEC/BIG 10/USC game. And the turn around happened well before Vick. Tech really hit the national scene in the early 90's and particularly '95, beating Texas in the sugar bowl. Virginia isn't exactly a huge state but with the exception of 3 players, the entire O and D starting lineup was home-grown. Last year it was all but two. That's typical of Tech recruiting.

As for the game...ouch. I was expecting a 10 point loss to Stanford and after the first half, that looked to be on track. Tyrod is a great human being per everyone I know in Blacksburg. Solid, respectful kid that pretty much stays out of trouble. He had a nice career but he's also a prime example of why running QB's have never won a Super Bowl. Once Stanford made the adjustments at halftime and caged him in, he couldn't make the reads or passes quick enough. Tech's O line has killed them for two years now and poor Tyrod was running for his life. The game turned on that first Stanford drive of the second half. The Tech DB had an easy pick (should have been Luck's 2nd of the game) and dropped it. Then Luck throws for a TD and the momentum gets going.

Tech was completely out-coached in the second. Their D was completely confused by Stanford's shifts, leaving Stanford's receivers wide open. Luck was shooting fish in a barrel. Seriously, any decent QB could have made those throws. All credit to him because he's the best in college and should be a great pro but he was throwing to wide open receivers. Tech was outsmarted on the coaching side and the players just laid down. Beamer was my coach and I love the guy. He literally made a top 15 team out of nothing. But if Tech wants to be tier 1 and not tier 2, they need to shake up the staff. When Tech plays most teams, they come out on top. When Tech plays the big boys of the top 10, they get out-coached. On ESPN this morning, Cowherd mentioned that Tech produces more NFL players than anyone outside of Ohio St, USC and the big SEC guys. They always have the talent but when they go out in the deep water, they sink.

Kevin T
01-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Ya, Boise did kick the hell out of quite a few James Madison caliber teams.

BSU was a good team this year. But to say they would for sure run the table in the bigger conferences when they couldn't even take care of business in their own very weak conference is.........a little silly.

Against Nevada, the kicker should have never even had a chance to choke. They let up and paid the price. It happens to even the best teams.

Agreed on the Nevada game. Horrible mistake by the Nevada D on that play. How do you let a receiver get behind you 60+ yards to go in the waning seconds of regulation? Overtime was justice for that game.

r2473
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Agreed on the Nevada game. Horrible mistake by the Nevada D on that play. How do you let a receiver get behind you 60+ yards to go in the waning seconds of regulation? Overtime was justice for that game.

I mean Boise should have won that game easy. They were rolling in the first half to yet another easy victory and they let it slip away.

But ya, how do you let a receiver get behind you in that situation. Reminds me of how Iowa beat LSU in 2005 Capitol One Bowl. To set this up, Iowa let LSU march down the field on the previous 2 drives to blow yet another 4th quarter lead. Iowa got the ball with ~:50 left needing only a field goal to win. They horribly mismanaged the clock, setting up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0OnvDbyGuQ

Kevin T
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I mean Boise should have won that game easy. They were rolling in the first half to yet another easy victory and they let it slip away.

But ya, how do you let a receiver get behind you in that situation. Reminds me of how Iowa beat LSU in 2005 Capitol One Bowl. To set this up, Iowa let LSU march down the field on the previous 2 drives to blow yet another 4th quarter lead. Iowa got the ball with ~:50 left needing only a field goal to win. They horribly mismanaged the clock, setting up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0OnvDbyGuQ

I remember that game. Iowa has been right on the verge of breaking through for years now. Seems like they've been touted as the contender to the Buckeyes for the last 3-4 years but always blow a game or two. Sounds like my Hokies. :) For all the junk the Big 10 gets (and I give), I love the conference, teams and fans. The wife of my best friend in Cincy was an Iowa grad and loved her some Hawkeyes. Nebraska fans are also great. One of the best college game atmospheres I've seen was when the Huskers came to Blacksburg last year. Excellent tailgating and camaraderie between the fans before, during and after the game.

Looking at your link, I also found this...the Bluegrass Miracle. I went to grad school at Kentucky and this one hurt me to the core. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anwl5AU5zZE&NR=1

r2473
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I remember that game. Iowa has been right on the verge of breaking through for years now.

Ya......sort of like the Cubs.

Kevin T
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Ya......sort of like the Cubs.

I sense you've experienced a lot of pain and heartache in your sporting life, r2. :)

soyizgood
01-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Arkansas can't protect Mallett tonight.

But WAIT! OSU failed to convert 4th down on their own 37.. LOL

OSU 31
Ark 26

5:50 to go...

Yet ANOTHER dropped pass. :( Ark has to punt.

Ark will get one last chance with 1:15 left as OSU will punt.

ARKANSAS BLOCKED THE PUNT!!!!

soyizgood
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Mallett throws the INT. :(((

tOSU ends its losing streak to the SEC.

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 07:13 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Mallett throws the INT. :(((

tOSU ends its losing streak to the SEC.

Mallett seems to have a lot of trouble under pressure. Just throws it hard without a lot of thought/accuracy. Bonehead play on a potential game-winning drive, a la, the Bama game. Lots of mistakes in this one but a very entertaining game. Man, the Hogs were given the victory on a silver platter and couldn't convert...missed fumble resulting in the first OSU TD, not running back the blocked punt, soooooo many dropped passes. OSU's D was huge, though. Gotta give 'em credit for coming out and playing tough, hard-nosed football.

r2473
01-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Sure was a shame someone "accidentally rolled" on Pryor's foot / ankle there at the end :(

You played football Kevin. What goes on under the pile on those plays?

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Sure was a shame someone "accidentally rolled" on Pryor's foot / ankle there at the end :(

You played football Kevin. What goes on under the pile on those plays?

Yeah, that was bush league. My biggest concerns were the eye pokes and the "junk" pulls and twists. :) Lots of spitting and rabbit punches, etc. but nothing like someone trying to make off with the jewels. I'm half Native American and used to get a lot of creative racial slurs that were honestly more funny than anything.

I was flipping through channels Sunday and saw a similar situation in the Rams/Seahawks game. Long was laying on the field following a play and a Seattle lineman "accidentally" stumbled and dropped his full weight on Long. Long was furious and was immediately up in the guys face.

I still love football and the college game is without a doubt my favorite sport to watch. But I won't encourage my son to play. If I have anything to do with it, he's going the tennis/basketball/baseball route. The guys are getting so much stronger and faster and with new research connecting just a few concussive episodes in life with Parkinson's and other neurological disorders, it scares me.

r2473
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I used to work with a former Utah offensive lineman (he is 6' 9"-ish and said he weighed ~330lbs. when he played. He was down to a slim ~270lbs. when I knew him). He told me some great stories.

He claimed that the dirtiest team by far that he played against was "sweet, innocent" BYU. Now of course Utah and BYU hate each other, but he said that they are the worst with the "bush league" crap. Of course I take that with pretty large grain of salt considering the source. I'm sure any "rivalry game" is pretty nasty.

billsgwn
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Mallett seems to have a lot of trouble under pressure. Just throws it hard without a lot of thought/accuracy. Bonehead play on a potential game-winning drive, a la, the Bama game. Lots of mistakes in this one but a very entertaining game. Man, the Hogs were given the victory on a silver platter and couldn't convert...missed fumble resulting in the first OSU TD, not running back the blocked punt, soooooo many dropped passes. OSU's D was huge, though. Gotta give 'em credit for coming out and playing tough, hard-nosed football.

OSUs D was huge? They could have given up 40 points or morer if not for all the WR drops. They had nothing to do with those stops, it was Arkansas just not finishing the play. I wouldnt praise them and give them all this "credit" either when so many of their players should have been ruled ineligible but the NCAA and the Big 10 knew they couldnt afford another beatdown to the SEC so they let these jokers play.

r2473
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
OSUs D was huge? They could have given up 40 points or morer if not for all the WR drops. They had nothing to do with those stops, it was Arkansas just not finishing the play. I wouldnt praise them and give them all this "credit" either when so many of their players should have been ruled ineligible but the NCAA and the Big 10 knew they couldnt afford another beatdown to the SEC so they let these jokers play.

Is this your first time ever watching college football? First ever glimpse of NCAA politics?

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM

I could have played in the NFL if I were only faster and stronger. Ifs and buts and cherries and nuts and all.

Ah, conspiracy theories. Maybe the NCAA was paying the Big 10 back for the light-speed investigation of the Newton clan? Yes, they did come up big. Mallet was pressured all game long and apparently can't do anything when pressured. So it was only WR "drops" that kept them in single digits nearly half of the game? How about OSU's 'fumbleitis'? Whatever the circumstances, the Hogs only scored 26 on OSU and Arkansas came in with the 4th ranked passing game in college football. Here's what they did to the SEC's best defenses (some of the best in the country per all the critics):

31 against LSU
38 against Miss St
41 against South Carolina
43 against Auburn
20 against Bama
31 against Georgia

billsgwn
01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I could have played in the NFL if I were only faster and stronger. Ifs and buts and cherries and nuts and all.

Ah, conspiracy theories. Maybe the NCAA was paying the Big 10 back for the light-speed investigation of the Newton clan? Yes, they did come up big. Mallet was pressured all game long and apparently can't do anything when pressured. So it was only WR "drops" that kept them in single digits nearly half of the game? How about OSU's 'fumbleitis'? Whatever the circumstances, the Hogs only scored 26 on OSU and Arkansas came in with the 4th ranked passing game in college football. Here's what they did to the SEC's best defenses (some of the best in the country per all the critics):

31 against LSU
38 against Miss St
41 against South Carolina
43 against Auburn
20 against Bama
31 against Georgia

And I would have gone on to the NBA after college ball if I was 7 feet tall instead of 6'4". I didnt say that the SEC was squeeky clean. Newton should have been ruled ineligible also but the Legends and Leaders are always screaming about how the SEC bends the rules. And yes it was the dropsies that kept Arkansas is single digits. Did you see the 1st play of hte game? That wouldve been 7 points right there if not for a drop. Heyward played like an animal but the rest of the OSU D is overrated just like most of the BIg 10 teams.

r2473
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I guess it's a damn good thing they actually play the games on the field and not only in billsgwn's head.

billsgwn
01-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I guess it's a damn good thing they actually play the games on the field and not only in billsgwn's head.

Its a good thing that youre impressed with the Big 10 going 0-5 on New Years then salvaging their bowl season with the OSU win. I guess you look at OSUs record agaisnt the SEC as "Now they are on a winning streak against the SEC" instead of the 1-9 record that most people see it as.

billsgwn
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM

You NEVER saw Arkansas play this year? Sorry to have made mistake and assumed you kept up with football a little more than you actually did.

r2473
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm so stupid

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uiwKnhUvof0FYM:http://www.mariopareja.com/blog/Images/Posts/tommy_boy_pulls_hair_out_small_thumb.jpg&t=1

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Its a good thing that youre impressed with the Big 10 going 0-5 on New Years then salvaging their bowl season with the OSU win. I guess you look at OSUs record agaisnt the SEC as "Now they are on a winning streak against the SEC" instead of the 1-9 record that most people see it as.

OSU has a losing record against the SEC in bowl games but how many teams don't? We all know that. However, they are 6-3 in BCS bowls, which is quite impressive. I'm an SEC grad but currently they're 3-4 and will go 6-4 at best, if they run the table in the coming week. GA and TN were bad this year but losing to South Florida and UNC may be even worse. SC also lost to an ACC team. LSU should win but Kentucky and Auburn have their hands full.

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
And I would have gone on to the NBA after college ball if I was 7 feet tall instead of 6'4". I didnt say that the SEC was squeeky clean. Newton should have been ruled ineligible also but the Legends and Leaders are always screaming about how the SEC bends the rules. And yes it was the dropsies that kept Arkansas is single digits. Did you see the 1st play of hte game? That wouldve been 7 points right there if not for a drop. Heyward played like an animal but the rest of the OSU D is overrated just like most of the BIg 10 teams.

I'm sure there were plenty of drops by Hog receivers in those SEC games where they still managed to score in the 30s and 40s.

Actually, according to this 2008 review, the SEC is #2 in terms of # of infractions and the Big 10 comes in at #4.

http://blog.al.com/bn/2008/03/southeastern_conference_at_75.html

billsgwn
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
OSU has a losing record against the SEC in bowl games but how many teams don't? We all know that. However, they are 6-3 in BCS bowls, which is quite impressive. I'm an SEC grad but currently they're 3-4 and will go 6-4 at best, if they run the table in the coming week. GA and TN were bad this year but losing to South Florida and UNC may be even worse. SC also lost to an ACC team. LSU should win but Kentucky and Auburn have their hands full.

I know its gonna be tought a have a winning record against the SEC in bowl games but 0-9? This isnt just any school either, this is the one who has to go by "THE OHIO STATE." Are you still ins SEC country? I am right in the middle of it and I feel its the best conference but I still feel the little guys like TCU and Boise dont get a fair shake and I think its mostly because the big bioys (SEC, Big 10. Big East, Big 12, and ACC) want to keep all the money to themselves.

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I know its gonna be tought a have a winning record against the SEC in bowl games but 0-9? This isnt just any school either, this is the one who has to go by "THE OHIO STATE." Are you still ins SEC country? I am right in the middle of it and I feel its the best conference but I still feel the little guys like TCU and Boise dont get a fair shake and I think its mostly because the big bioys (SEC, Big 10. Big East, Big 12, and ACC) want to keep all the money to themselves.

Nope, in Cali right now. Spent most of my young life in VA, played football at Va Tech and got my MS at Kentucky. I've also lived in Ohio, NC, SC, among other places, with school, internships, post-doc fellowships and work. Still have a lot of friends in Blacksburg. One of my best friends lives in Huntsville and loves Bama. Also have close friends that went to GA and FL and we talk football all year. I watch as much of Kentucky and Tech as I can and always watch the big SEC game of the week. I also watch a lot of Pac 10 ball, as my wife's entire side of the family went to UC-Berk.

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm so stupid

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uiwKnhUvof0FYM:http://www.mariopareja.com/blog/Images/Posts/tommy_boy_pulls_hair_out_small_thumb.jpg&t=1

"Fat guy in a little coat...fat guy in a little coat!"

r2473
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Kevin, any chance you might be heading up to Indian Wells this year?

Kevin T
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Kevin, any chance you might be heading up to Indian Wells this year?

I wish but it's doubtful. That's the week of my daughter's bday and the wife is trying to lock us into Disney Land. Arghh! :) Haven't been to that area since my Coachella festival days. You making it out to Cali?

soyizgood
01-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Nevada slays BC. GO WOLFPACK! West Coast holding up this bowl season. Oregon needs to put the explanation point, somehow.

Oregon 12-0
Boise St. 12-1
Nevada 13-1
Stanford 12-1

Kevin T
01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Nevada slays BC. GO WOLFPACK! West Coast holding up this bowl season. Oregon needs to put the explanation point, somehow.

Oregon 12-0
Boise St. 12-1
Nevada 13-1
Stanford 12-1

West coast teams are having a great year. Not sure I would say Nevada "slayed" BC. That was just a boring, ugly game. I was really surprised that WAC champion Nevada couldn't get anything going offensively, particularly against a very average (I believe they finished 3 or 4 in the Atlantic Division) ACC squad.

Can't wait for tonight. I'd really like to see Oregon win one but my conference loyalties and football logic say Auburn by 9. Predictions anyone?

r2473
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Oregon by 2 touchdowns. Something like 38-24.

NickC
01-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I am taking the Ducks by 10. Auburn just isn't good enough, IMO. Oregon's offense is capable of murdering anyone in the nation in as little as one quarter or one half, as seen when they played Arizona, were close until halftime, then scored something like 30 unanswered points. Their offense when on form is something to behold.

soyizgood
01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
West coast teams are having a great year. Not sure I would say Nevada "slayed" BC. That was just a boring, ugly game. I was really surprised that WAC champion Nevada couldn't get anything going offensively, particularly against a very average (I believe they finished 3 or 4 in the Atlantic Division) ACC squad.

Can't wait for tonight. I'd really like to see Oregon win one but my conference loyalties and football logic say Auburn by 9. Predictions anyone?

The Nevada-BC game was indeed a bore. It was played at BC's tempo, yet BC's offense made Nevada's 66th ranked defense look good somehow. BC played with so many freshmen on offense and it showed, especially from the QB. Sloppy play by both teams. But a win is a win. Non-BCS team picks up another victory against a BCS conference team.

Kevin T
01-10-2011, 09:39 AM
I am taking the Ducks by 10. Auburn just isn't good enough, IMO. Oregon's offense is capable of murdering anyone in the nation in as little as one quarter or one half, as seen when they played Arizona, were close until halftime, then scored something like 30 unanswered points. Their offense when on form is something to behold.

But AZ's rushing defense was ranked 85th in the nation and Auburn is 10th. Auburn was held to less than 24 points only once, the second game of the season against Miss St. Auburn also had far more quality wins (6 against the top 20 with 3 in the top 10 much of the season) and though the Ducks beat Stanford, that's all they have. After seeing Pryor of OSU tear up Oregon's D last year, I can't imagine Newton (who is better than Pryor) not doing the same or better.

r2473
01-10-2011, 10:37 AM
After seeing Pryor of OSU tear up Oregon's D last year, I can't imagine Newton (who is better than Pryor) not doing the same or better.

This is actually one of the reasons I'm taking Oregon. They won't get beat by the same style QB 2 years in a row. They have to make some adjustments based upon what they learned last year.

But, a good running QB is hard to stop at the college level. Especially if he as any talent whatsoever in the pocket and making passes while rolling out.

soyizgood
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
3:40 left in the 2nd QTR

Oregon 11
Auburn 7

Newton under threw a WIDE open guy on 4th and goal. Oregon takes over at their own 2yd line.

Auburn scores a safety. Make it 11-9 Oregon.

Now 16-11 Auburn.

hollywood9826
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
After that performance I might be inclined to say TCU has a legit chance to beat either of those teams.

I guess AUB was used to playing tougher teams and that experience is what made the difference. Although they probably have to give the title back in a couple years.

beernutz
01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Hope you didn't bet the family farm.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs172.ash2/41783_2204658469_2920_n.jpg

Kevin T
01-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Who knew a defensive struggle would break out? Newton had a poor game and almost gave it away with that "carrying the football like a loaf of bread" mess and missing wide open receivers. The Auburn secondary gave away some big plays but the front line and redzone D was monster. Fairley was a man amongst boys on the D line...we'll definitely see that guy dominating in the NFL. Too many penalties by Oregon and they just couldn't convert on big downs. Honestly, all the "cutesy" plays by Oregon kept them in contention because nothing conventional was working. Auburn just controlled the clock and was bigger and stronger. I was honestly surprised it was as close as it turned out because it just seemed like Auburn's linemen dominated both sides of the ball. Nice to see the D and Dyer, a true freshman running back, as the surprise stars of the show.

Now to gloat :)...SEC with 5 BCS titles in a row, 15-6 in BCS games and 7-0 all-time in title games with 5 different teams having won titles (Tenn, LSU x2, Bama, Auburn and Florida x2). :)

billsgwn
01-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Nice call. Until someone beats the SEC in a title game, why do people continue to pick against them?

soyizgood
01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Oregon blew two chances for points. Auburn blew one. I'm disappointed with the result, but at least they made it a fight and were better than what some East Coast and SEC critics had thought.

Congrats, Auburn (grumbling saying this). PAC-10 with two teams in top 5, Boise St and Nevada with solid years, so it was a good year for the West Coast even without USC.

r2473
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Nice call. Until someone beats the SEC in a title game, why do people continue to pick against them?

Because "The SEC" isn't a team.

Typical college football game. Lots of mistakes and missed opportunities on both sides. Neither looked "great", but I think we had the two best teams in the championship game this year........not counting Alabama, but they blew their shot so that's the way it goes.

By the way, who would have guessed that Oregon would have faked an extra point and gone for 2 early in the game......and how important that turned out to be. At least for a little while.

Kevin T
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Typical college football game. Lots of mistakes and missed opportunities on both sides. Neither looked "great", but I think we had the two best teams in the championship game this year........not counting Alabama, but they blew their shot so that's the way it goes.

By the way, who would have guessed that Oregon would have faked an extra point and gone for 2 early in the game......and how important that turned out to be. At least for a little while.

Good point RE going for 2. When you think about it, Oregon was (I think) 100% on trick/risky plays, from going for 2 twice to the fake punt (which resulted in a TD). Most teams are lucky to go 25% on those plays. Running the reverse play on kick-offs was a little too risky and Auburn was on top of it. Chip Kelly is a great coach but I think he got a little too cute in this one.

I agree with most everything this guy wrote:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41010855/ns/sports-college_football/?ns=sports-college_football

On a side note:

Those Oregon uniforms....Good Lord! Worst in college football, by far. Not to mention the fact that they change the combo for every game...is this football or Next Top Model? Just fuels my hate of Nike even more. :)

beernutz
01-13-2011, 08:32 AM

I am not quite sure what you are implying with the bolded part above, but if is that you think Alabama should have been considered one of the best two teams at the end of the year I would suggest that you may be suffering from PTSD. Bama got stomped by USC and look what AU did to them in the SEC championship. They looked great against MSU but it is apparent that the Big 10 just isn't so big any more. How could anyone even consider Bama to be better than LSU at the end of the year, not to mention TCU or Stanford? Bammers can at least take comfort that they'll almost certainly be a better team than Auburn next season but that is about it for moral victories.

r2473
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Ya....I'm only opining that Alabama probably had the best team in CFB this year, but didn't play up to their potential.

Take it for what it's worth.....which is not much.

beernutz
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Look how many people play the lottery. :)

I agree, it is hard to argue with 7-0 in BCS title games, before even mentioning AU's snub in 2004 where they went 13-0 but weren't invited. How about props for five SEC West teams in the top 15 at the end of the year? The SEC looks like Goliath to the rest of the FBS's David and imo I don't see this changing for the foreseeable future.

r2473
01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
The SEC looks like Goliath to the rest of the FBS's David and imo I don't see this changing for the foreseeable future.

I also can't see how Michigan or Notre Dame can be anything except college football powerhouses.

Guess I'll throw Florida State, Miami, Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and of course SMU and USC into that group as well.

Of course Boise St. and TCU will continue to be dominant. I can't remember when these guys weren't good......

beernutz
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I also can't see how Michigan or Notre Dame can be anything except college football powerhouses.

Guess I'll throw Florida State, Miami, Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and of course SMU and USC into that group as well.

Of course Boise St. and TCU will continue to be dominant. I can't remember when these guys weren't good......

Ok now I think you're pulling my chain. You are good; you had me going for a while there.

Kevin T
01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Look how many people play the lottery. :)

I agree, it is hard to argue with 7-0 in BCS title games, before even mentioning AU's snub in 2004 where they went 13-0 but weren't invited. How about props for five SEC West teams in the top 15 at the end of the year? The SEC looks like Goliath to the rest of the FBS's David and imo I don't see this changing for the foreseeable future.

I agree. The SEC will continue to dominate for a very simple reason...they care more about football than any other conference/culture/etc. Football is religion and the entire calendar year hinges on success or failure for some people (particularly the entire states of MS, AL, LA, TN, SC, GA). Living in Cali but having grown up and lived in a number of southern states, I can assure you that no one else cares about college football like they (the South) do. No comparison her in Cali, except when USC is good. But those fans are "fair weather" of the highest order. Oregon probably comes closest to an SEC atmosphere. I appreciate the affinity but at the same time, it's sort of a sickness. My friends from Bama talk about football year round...recruiting, recruiting violations, spring practice, etc. It's crazy. People on the west coast will say it's because SEC fans have nothing else to do. That's not true. I just think they don't want to do anything else.

Having said that, we arent' that far-removed from the 90's, when Nebraska and Florida St. owned the decade. Even though there were 3-4 champs some years, the SEC only put out 4 "champions". All is takes are a few violations or coaching changes to shake things up.

SEC schools also pump a TON of money into football and coach salaries, often to the detriment of academics. I can guarantee you that >90% of SEC alumns would rather donate money to the athletic dept than an academic dept. I bet >90% would also rather see the football team do well than move into the top 50 universities (with the exception of Vandy). The Big 10 and ACC are certainly more academically inclined and of course, the ACC's old school core really only cares about basketball.

beernutz
01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree. The SEC will continue to dominate for a very simple reason...they care more about football than any other conference/culture/etc. Football is religion and the entire calendar year hinges on success or failure for some people (particularly the entire states of MS, AL, LA, TN, SC, GA). Living in Cali but having grown up and lived in a number of southern states, I can assure you that no one else cares about college football like they (the South) do. No comparison her in Cali, except when USC is good. But those fans are "fair weather" of the highest order. Oregon probably comes closest to an SEC atmosphere. I appreciate the affinity but at the same time, it's sort of a sickness. My friends from Bama talk about football year round...recruiting, recruiting violations, spring practice, etc. It's crazy. People on the west coast will say it's because SEC fans have nothing else to do. That's not true. I just think they don't want to do anything else.

Having said that, we arent' that far-removed from the 90's, when Nebraska and Florida St. owned the decade. Even though there were 3-4 champs some years, the SEC only put out 4 "champions". All is takes are a few violations or coaching changes to shake things up.

SEC schools also pump a TON of money into football and coach salaries, often to the detriment of academics. I can guarantee you that >90% of SEC alumns would rather donate money to the athletic dept than an academic dept. I bet >90% would also rather see the football team do well than move into the top 50 universities (with the exception of Vandy). The Big 10 and ACC are certainly more academically inclined and of course, the ACC's old school core really only cares about basketball.

Kevin, I'm over 50 and have lived in Alabama and Tennessee my entire life including growing up in Tuscaloosa. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what college football means to the people in this part of the country.

You've made quite a few claims, some of which I think are valid and others not so much, however debating them would bore me to tears. For the record though, Ohio State pumps more money into college football than any other university.

billsgwn
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Kevin, I'm over 50 and have lived in Alabama and Tennessee my entire life including growing up in Tuscaloosa. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what college football means to the people in this part of the country.

You've made quite a few claims, some of which I think are valid and others not so much, however debating them would bore me to tears. For the record though, Ohio State pumps more money into college football than any other university.

Terrelle Pryor costs almost as much as Cam Newton

tricky
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Only thing that limits SEC domination is SEC competition.

The Big 10 and ACC are certainly more academically inclined and of course, the ACC's old school core really only cares about basketball.

Another major factor is that each conference has a certain "team profile" that sharply influences how teams recruit. The first priority is to win your conference, and so even a traditional powerhouse, will favorably recruit size over speed (Big-10), speed over size (ACC), offense over defense, etc. to win the conference. You can't survive the SEC without offensive/defensive lines loaded with 3 to 5 star athletes.

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm sure you do have an idea growing up in those two states. Having played at an ACC school and taught at two SEC schools during grad school and now in a large Cal system, I have a pretty good idea about what goes on academically and athletically. I'm sure even you won't deny the priority that athletics are to SEC schools? OSU does put a lot of $$ into football but they are also one of the largest universities in the nation with a massive alumni base.I'm not saying it doesn't hold true with ACC, PAC 10 or Big 10 schools but it's certainly not to the same degree. I mean, six of the ten highest paid coaches are in the SEC yet Vandy is their only top 50 university. It angers me as an alumn because I've watched the academic ranking of most SEC schools plunge while the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 10 schools rise. Every Big 10 school is a top 100 uni (most are top 50) as are all but one (FSU, of course) ACC school (8 are top 50). I would just like to see more balance at my grad school alma mater and the other SEC schools. But that would mean increasing academic standards for incoming athletes and I'm not sure the boosters would let that happen.

Again, I have degrees from ACC and SEC schools and really don't have a bias either way. Just stating what I've seen and experienced.

r2473
01-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Wait......SEC schools have academic programs?

When did they start this?

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

It's a recent advancement. The full-service gas station and boiled peanut industries have fallen on hard times. :)

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 07:55 AM

In other news...shock of the decade...Cam Newton leaves for the NFL!!! Now Daddy can finally get paid! :) I was pulling for Auburn in the title game but the logic center of my brain says Auburn keeps the title for 3 years, tops.

r2473
01-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Wow. Who would have guessed.

And you say FSU and maybe even Miami (da U) have academics too?

EDIT: I say Auburn keeps it. The NCAA doesn't want another "Reggie Bush" type scandal. It will make them look really bad....especially in Cam's case as they OK'd his playing in the game. They will look foolish if they disqualify Auburn's title later.

I think they will do all they can to sweep this one under the rug and pretend it never happened.

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow. Who would have guessed.

And you say FSU and maybe even Miami (da U) have academics too?

EDIT: I say Auburn keeps it. The NCAA doesn't want another "Reggie Bush" type scandal. It will make them look really bad in Cam's case as they OK'd his playing in the game. They will look foolish if they disqualify their title later.

No, no, no!! I'll never say that for FSU. :) But you would be surprised concerning Miami. Seems Donna Shalala came in and made everyone attend class, even take their own tests and write their own papers. :)

As for Auburn, I certainly see your point but they whacked USC hard. THE USC Trojans, pretty boys of college football, so much tradition, excellent academic institution. Auburn's been in hot water before (and not too long ago, by the way). IMHO, the NCAA needs USC in the picture far more than they need Auburn. Until Oregon's recent success, USC was west coast college football. As they say in NASCAR..."there's cheating and then, well...there's cheatin'!!" Cheating is accepted but "cheatin'!!" crosses the line of fair play. :)

r2473
01-14-2011, 08:12 AM
What a b*tch. She can't do that.

Man, no wonder Miami sucks now. Nobody wants to go there anymore. I bet the boosters are going to assassinate her.

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
What a b*tch. She can't do that.

Man, no wonder Miami sucks now. Nobody wants to go there anymore. I bet the boosters are going to assassinate her.

I think it's a toss-up between having to go to class and not being able to hang with Luther Campbell, aka, Luke Skywalker and his infamous posse.

r2473
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I had to go to Wiki to understand the Luke Skywalker reference.

Campbell was also infamous in the late 1980s–early 1990s for his association with the University of Miami Hurricanes football team. Campbell told The Miami Herald that he offered "bounties" to Miami players for scoring touchdowns, intercepting passes, sacking quarterbacks, and knocking opposing players out of games.[citation needed] In 1993, he also once threatened to go public with various violations by the University of Miami's athletic department, specifically their football program, if Ryan Collins, an African-American player, wasn't named their starting quarterback for that season.[citation needed]

Campbell was interviewed about his involvement with the Miami Hurricanes for the documentary The U, which premiered December 12, 2009 on ESPN.

billsgwn
01-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I think it's a toss-up between having to go to class and not being able to hang with Luther Campbell, aka, Luke Skywalker and his infamous posse.

Yea, they liked the fact that Luther was buying them SUVs and hookers also

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Yea, they liked the fact that Luther was buying them SUVs and hookers also

Uh huh. I particularly liked the "bounties" he paid. What a businessman!! He was basically using the no base salary/100% commission system used by many sales companies. :)

billsgwn
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Uh huh. I particularly liked the "bounties" he paid. What a businessman!! He was basically using the no base salary/100% commission system used by many sales companies. :)

Miami was TOTALLY out of control at that time. Drug delers were their boosters, the players were the most flamboyant and out of control any college team has ever been. You remember the Cotton Bowl back in about 1990 or 91 when they had around 300 yards in unportsmanlike penalties called on them? There was more dancing on the field in that game than there was in Saturday Night Fever

Kevin T
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Miami was TOTALLY out of control at that time. Drug delers were their boosters, the players were the most flamboyant and out of control any college team has ever been. You remember the Cotton Bowl back in about 1990 or 91 when they had around 300 yards in unportsmanlike penalties called on them? There was more dancing on the field in that game than there was in Saturday Night Fever

And the Miami "fight song" was the Darth Vader intro music from Star Wars. Duh duh duh, duh duh duh, duh duh duh. Classic! As a Va Tech guy, I can't tell you what a pleasure it's been to see the Hokies go 11-6 against the 'Canes since sanctions came down in '95. :)

Dedans Penthouse
03-17-2011, 11:30 AM
... As a Va Tech guy, I can't tell you what a pleasure it's been to see the Hokies go 11-6 against the 'Canes since sanctions came down in '95. :)^^^^
Ah horsefeathers! :neutral:

But I digress--in more RECENT news:

"THE BEAT GOES ON"
(Apparently the (suspended) "fighting Irish" are actually at USC - lol):

From ESPN:

After suspending Kevin O'Neill on Friday, USC reinstated its men's head basketball coach on Sunday, athletic director Pat Haden announced.
"Effective immediately, I am reinstating Kevin O'Neill as our men's basketball head coach," Haden said in a statement. "Coach O'Neill and I have talked numerous times these past few days. He has continued to express his regret and embarrassment over the incident that led to his suspension from any remaining games of the Pac-10 Conference Tournament."

O'Neill was suspended for the remainder of the Pac-10 tournament in light of his involvement in a verbal altercation with Univ. of Arizona booster Paul Witman in a Los Angeles hotel lobby Thursday night.

Haden said O'Neill still faces additional discipline by the school and a fine.

UPDATE:
(from Julio Nievas-sb.nation.com):
"Coming off a 67-62 loss to Arizona to be eliminated from the Pac-10 tournament, USC looked to turn it around in the NCAA tournament by winning against the Virginia Commonwealth Rams.

However, USC will not advance in the first round as the VCU Rams defeat the Trojans in Dayton by a score of 59-46 in an ugly game all around for the Trojans."

Note: this USC-VCU game pitted two teams who wouldn't have made it into the traditional NCAA 64-team draw but instead had to rely on the NCAA expanding the tournament to allow additional "non-worthys" in, essentially tossing a bone to two dogs vying for the eventual 'honor' of having Georgetown urinate on them.

MEANWHILE:

(from Kevin Berger-sb.nation.com):
Recently, the NCAA Tournament bracket has given us some good 15-seed upsets of 2-seeds. That ain't happening here. Notre Dame plays an unselfish brand of basketball that makes it near upset-proof when taking on a squad with less talent. Akron fits that description.

Mike Brey's group will run its open post offense to perfection leaving Akron's front court chasing sharp-shooting bigs around the perimeter to no avail. If this one becomes a yawner, then check your NCAA Tournament schedule here for other games.

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107023549/beat-goes-on-sonny-cher-story-jay-underwood-dvd-cover-art.jpg

"Ha, ha funnyman....keep it up and I will kill you....And you know I will kill you.."
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/7523a218-0b84-4760-b700-174368b18da0.grid-4x2.jpg

Dedans Penthouse
06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

* THREAD BUMP *

...seemingly with every passing day, good ol' play-by-the-rules USC seems to have yet another charge filed against them or another penalty levied. If it's not the woman's tennis program, the men's basketball program, or an overall NCAA admonishment for "lack of institutional control" (lack of institutional control?? -- are we talking "university" or the O.J. Simpson Psycho Ward?), it's something else. Well, good ol' USC somehow topped even themselves--going for the gusto and somehow taking it to the 'next level' :

HAVING A NATIONAL TITLE STRIPPED FROM THEM BY THE N.C.A.A.

now THAT's extreme, even by SC *cough* "standards"

Let us mourn their loss in reverent song:

Sung to the tune:
"If You're Cheating and They KNOW it 'Clap' Your Hands"

a 1, and a 2, and a 3, and a 4,....and..

"If they stripped you of your title, RAISE YOUR HANDS.."
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/06/06/18/19/393-eBWIN.Hi.55.jpg

"If they stripped you of your title, RAISE YOUR HANDS.."

"..if '04's now sitting idle,
'cause they stripped of your title,
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site513/2011/0607/20110607_120653_DN07-USC_VIEWER.jpg

"If they stripped you of your title, RAISE YOUR HANDS!!"

"Beating the 'Rap' " - by O.J. Hammer

I'm the wife-beatard, O.J. Hammer,
Cochran's "race card" kept me outta the slammer,
I'm the SC matinee idol turned homicidal,
the SC fans' are now actin' suicidal,
I beat woman and paths that are both 'Bridal'
Pete bleeped-up, the cheat just lost his title..."

LMAO@WHO again?
lmao@usc's more like it, I would think...

jamesblakefan#1
06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Damn. Karma's a b__ch.

Dedans Penthouse
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Damn. Karma's a b__ch.
^^^^
this

Put simply:

Had ND been stripped of a national title, would this thread have sat 'dormant' for this long?....

p.s. and while we're at it, notice the 'silence' that surrounded (on this board & elsewhere), the eventual arrest of the LA thugs that put that San Francisco kid into a coma....for the "unpardonable" crime of being a S.F. Giants baseball fan???...

....nice, LA....

....go, USC !

soyizgood
09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Coach Kelly is now 8-7 as coach of ND. 0-2 to start off the year. Another long season?

jamesblakefan#1
10-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly has apologized to players who were offended by remarks he made concerning recruits of the previous regime who are still playing for the Fighting Irish, the Chicago Tribune has reported, citing a source close to the team.

Kelly discussed the matter with a group of players at Friday's customary team dinner after voicing their feelings.

The meeting came a day after the coach's post-practice comments to the media resulted in several players taking to Twitter in apparent ire, the newspaper reported.

"You can see the players that I have recruited, you know who they are," Kelly said Thursday. "We’ve had one class of kids that we’ve recruited that I’ve had my hand on.

"The other guys here are coming along," Kelly added. "It’s a process. It can’t happen overnight. They’re getting it. They’re making good progress."

After opening the season with back-to-back losses, Notre Dame (4-3) appeared to be on the right track again with four straight wins, the last two in blowout territory, before a 31-17 loss to USC on Saturday night.

Kelly, in his second season with Notre Dame after Charlie Weis was fired, wasn't apologizing earlier in the week when some USC players said they had been surprised Notre Dame didn't call a timeout during the game's final drive, with Trojans linebacker Chris Galippo flat-out saying the Irish had quit.

USC quarterback Matt Barkley echoed that Monday, saying it seemed as if the Irish had given up.

"Our guys know what happened. They got their butts beat," Kelly said Tuesday. "They didn't play very well, and that comes with it. You get what you deserve."

But if the players had been mum on the topic of their late-game efforts, a wedge appeared to emerge late Thursday on social media, punctuated by a tweet written by junior linebacker Manti Te'o.

"Playin for my bros and that's it!!!!" Te'o posted, according to the Tribune.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7163847/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-offends-players-apologizes-report-says

soyizgood
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Weis, part II. He gets to coach that Big-12 powerhouse Kansas. Oh boy!

Nostradamus
11-26-2012, 03:37 AM
OK, You all have been trashing Notre dame football.
HOW do they go from laughing stock to national champions ? they beat USC and got revenge over the weekend and now looking for the team to play for the national championships. WOW

did they cheat ?

acura9927
11-26-2012, 04:14 AM
The world seems back to normal now that ND football is back on top!
The tickets to the SEC title game are thru the roof on stubhub.

BHiC
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
OK, You all have been trashing Notre dame football.
HOW do they go from laughing stock to national champions ? they beat USC and got revenge over the weekend and now looking for the team to play for the national championships. WOW

did they cheat ?

Well, the prestige of Notre Dame allows them to be able to recruit easier than some other schools. The name gives them access to players that otherwise would not have gone to a school with that record.

And they haven't won the National Championship yet, I doubt they can beat Bama/UGA who will have the confidence and momentum of coming off a big win.

acura9927
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
How impressive is it to say I was part of Notre Dame Football. Its like saying I played for the NY Yankees. I hope they win it all.

jaggy
11-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Hahaha ND soccer #1 seeds lost to Indiana in the sweet 16. Well someone must care? right?

Blaxican10s
11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Go Notre Dame!!!

NickC
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
This should be interesting.

Thank god Oregon isn't in contention to play in the national championship, their offense would f*ck Notre Dame.

So Alabama or Georgia gets to do it instead.

jamesblakefan#1
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Thank god Oregon isn't in contention to play in the national championship, their offense would f*ck Notre Dame.

The same Oregon that lost to Stanford, who lost to ..... Notre Dame. And Oregon always chokes in the big one, why would this year be any different? Oh wait, it wasn't. :)

I just don't get why everyone's thumbing their nose at Notre Dame.

atatu
11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I kind of like ND because I'm old school, but I still don't think they are that good, they barely beat Pitt ?

tricky
11-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I kind of like ND because I'm old school, but I still don't think they are that good, they barely beat Pitt ?

They convincingly beat OU in their house. ND's offense isn't any great shakes, but their defense (especially their running game defense) is elite. I think their line can hang with Bama's offensive line. Plus they manage ball possession and by virtue of all their close games, they know how to play tight. I don't think they beat Bama or Georgia, but I don't see a blowout.

I'm predicting Georgia upsets Bama.

volleygirl
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
The same Oregon that lost to Stanford, who lost to ..... Notre Dame. And Oregon always chokes in the big one, why would this year be any different? Oh wait, it wasn't. :)

I just don't get why everyone's thumbing their nose at Notre Dame.

Oregons shiny helmets must be blinding everyone. I am glad they are out of the title hunt and hope ND beats Bama or Ga.

hollywood9826
11-27-2012, 04:56 AM
ND has played a tough enough schedule that undefeated earns them the NC game. I dont see how anyone can complain about that.

Yes they barely beat beat Pitt. But point is they won the game. Bama didnt win when they did not have thier A-game. Neither did any other team besides Ohio State. When the season began Notre Dame had as tough as a schedule as anyone. And I think it still holds up. They have more than earned the right to lose to the SEC in the title game.

Dedans Penthouse
11-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Hahaha ND (South Bend, Indiana) soccer #1 seeds lost to Indiana (Bloomingtonm Indiana) in the sweet 16. Well someone must care? right?LOL Jaggy. : )
Yes, I counted FIVE people who cared. (see pix below).

At the ND-SC FOOTBALL game, I counted FIVE as well...give or take 92,000. ND-SC football was "standing room only." ND-IN soccer was "standing around only"....hell even the soccer tix scalpers (Biff & Skippy) working the local Starbucks were complaining ... :razz:

"Guys!!...enough of this...let's get back to campus in time for the Indiana 'SOCCER' game!!!!"
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/16/35/33/3790591/3/628x471.jpg

South Bend Tribune, Nov. 26, 2012:
"Now that the on-campus buzz over a coveted BCS appearance versus a vaunted (and most likely favored) SEC conference champion has died down, all attention was then drawn to the compelling ND-Indiana soccer match. Before a standing-around-only crowd (with the occassional car horn honking in the distance), the Hoosiers..."
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2012/11/26/sports_pb_iusocc_1126.jpg

Thank god Oregon isn't in contention to play in the national championship, their offense would f*ck Notre Dame.Insightful ... that all you got?
Stay classy.

I just don't get why everyone's thumbing their nose at Notre Dame.In the "College Football 2012" thread, you'll get some legit reasons for the thumb-nosing (i.e. reasons extending from years back). This EXPIRED, NOW IRRELEVANT-FOR-2012 thread title pretty much says it all...should be retitled "LMAO@USC" or more to the point, "Butt Hurt Central" (smirk)

ND has played a tough enough schedule that undefeated earns them the NC game. I dont see how anyone can complain about that.

Yes they barely beat beat Pitt. But point is they won the game. Bama didnt win when they did not have thier A-game. Neither did any other team besides Ohio State. When the season began Notre Dame had as tough as a schedule as anyone. And I think it still holds up. They have more than earned the right to lose to the SEC in the title game.I would agree--I see 'Bama winning the title.

Further (my "'Bama like" aside), I think 'Bama on its AA+ night is capable of blowing anyone out who's left in the mix with the possible exception of an improved (esp. at QB) LSU team. Overall, the SEC (esp. their defenses) are just a cut above the rest of the pack.

hollywood9826
11-27-2012, 07:49 AM
The top SEC teams are just deeper in pure atheletes than any other conference. Just check the maps of blue chip recruits. The south east almost has a lock on the blue chippers.

If these maps dont break it down I dont what does.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1118/grant_e_PastedGraphic-2_640.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1118/grant_e_PastedGraphic-1_640.jpg

Kevin T
11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
The top SEC teams are just deeper in pure atheletes than any other conference. Just check the maps of blue chip recruits. The south east almost has a lock on the blue chippers.

If these maps dont break it down I dont what does.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1118/grant_e_PastedGraphic-2_640.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1118/grant_e_PastedGraphic-1_640.jpg

Nice graphics, Hollywood. I mentioned the same thing in the college football thread yesterday. These maps are the very reason the ACC has no excuse for doing so poorly. These are wealthy schools with the resources to compete. ACCer's will always pull the tougher academics argument but why can Stanford and ND do so well? The Big 10 commish even mentioned changing demographics for the MD and Rutgers grab...he knows what's up for the future. Bball schools aside (UNC, Duke, Wake), Va Tech, NC St, Clemson and FSU should always be competing for the top 15-20 spots.

hollywood9826
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Growing up in MD through the 80's and 90's nobody around me really cared about college football. NFL wasnt that big of a deal either. Maybe becuase the Colts leaving Im not sure. But everyone always cared about the O's and they cared about Terp basketball.

But then around the 2000's (when MD won BBall title ironcially) fridgen came and got blasted by Florida in a big bowl game. The the ravnes won the SB and everyone around here started caring about football. Gary Williams didnt\wasnt allowed to recryuit the 1 and done BBall kids in the area and basketabll hit a flat spot missing the tournement. Now all the talk is about football, local news barely even covers the terps. Its been all ravens and Big 10 football now.

hollywood9826
11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
What kills me with that map is how small the blue chip count is in MD. There are so many great yougn athleletes in the state. I guess they seem to go the BBall route though like Casell and Carmelo.

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
What kills me with that map is how small the blue chip count is in MD. There are so many great yougn athleletes in the state. I guess they seem to go the BBall route though like Casell and Carmelo.

That Durant guy ain't too bad either.

tricky
11-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Va Tech, NC St, Clemson and FSU should always be competing for the top 15-20 spots.I think the issue is whether the schools want to shell out the huge money to hire star coaches. For example, Beamer makes less than Schiano at Rutgers. Most schools lose a lot of money to fund a college football team.

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I think the issue is whether the schools want to shell out the huge money to hire star coaches. For example, Beamer makes less than Schiano at Rutgers. Most schools lose a lot of money to fund a college football team.

Not a good example. At VT and in Virginia, Beamer is a star. Even though he may soon move on and bring in his successor. I don't buy that players would rather play for Schiano than Beamer, not like Rutgers won anything while Schiano was there, even compared to VT and in the feeble Big Least.

rosenstar
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Va Tech, NC St, Clemson and FSU should always be competing for the top 15-20 spots.

I think the issue is whether the schools want to shell out the huge money to hire star coaches. For example, Beamer makes less than Schiano at Rutgers. Most schools lose a lot of money to fund a college football team.

NCst and Clemson have a lot of competition to recruit those blue chips (UNC, NCst, USCe, Clemson, UGA, GT, ECU, and UT are all within driving distance of NC/SC .

Given the historical prestige of FSU's football program (only program ever to finish ranked in the AP top 5 14 YEARS IN A ROW), relatively low academic standards and their >$80mil athletic budget, they should be top 15 even in a down year.

As someone who's lived in MD, then moved to Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech), I've noticed that people (fans) in major cities don't care about college football. Also, if you were to draw two lines through DC, one vertical and one horizontal, you'll find that just about no one in that top right corner cares about college football (some parts of PA being the exception).

jaggy
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
IU soccer goes on to the men's soccer final 4. 2 wins away from their 8th nation championship, Birmningham Alabama here I come baby.

Fearsome Forehand
11-30-2012, 07:16 PM
FYI: The maps are per capita not nominal. The populous states produce the most players, the rural states in certain regions will have the highest per capita figures. If a state has a relatively high population and still has a high per capita figure then it will supply tons of blue chip players. Texas and Florida stand out in that regard. Louisiana must be football crazy (like Indiana is basketball crazy) given its very high per capita figures. Hawaii's per capita figures are surprisingly high. I would imagine California produces the most blue chip players overall even though its per capita figures are not that high.

jaggy
12-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Weekend in Alabamar watching the mighty Hoosiers win their 8th national soccer championship.

#16 seeds win it all, LOL at the #1 seeds (showing topic relevance).

NickC
01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I think in light of what's happening in Miami right now, this thread deserves a bump.

Overheadsmash
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM
What a beat down. If there has ever been a case for a playoff, this is it.

That's why I like tennis so much - you need to earn way into a grand slam final match.

norbac
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Shame it wasn't a shutout.

NLBwell
01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Shame it wasn't a shutout.

Semi-prevent defense and loss of intensity from being so far ahead.

Notre Dame definitely improved this year, good for them. Still, no team in the middle-west is in the class of the very top teams.

Dedans Penthouse
01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
I think in light of what's happening in Miami right now, this thread deserves a bump.
There's already a 'College Football 2012' thread...but you'd rather go the d-bag flame route. Then again, what would you bring to the 'College Football 2012' table? Nothing. Enjoy your fluke "big win" over Nevada?

NEVADA?

Who are you to flame Mr. Port Chester posing as Greenwich?

Si habla that :cool:

NickC
01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
There's already a 'College Football 2012' thread...but you'd rather go the d-bag flame route. Then again, what would you bring to the 'College Football 2012' table? Nothing. Enjoy your fluke "big win" over Nevada?

NEVADA?

Our football team sucks. I am fully aware of that. Did I ever say we were good? No. Our team is in the dumps and bringing RichRod is with merit, but I don't like it as a direction in which our program is going because it means we're spending tons of money we don't have to appease him and grant his every wish, including dropping 10 million on a new scoreboard, some 35 million on a new facility that's taken the student recreation field away from the students and handed to the football program, AFTER they took over the old baseball stadium and didn't give it to the students as a recreation field like they said they would. All this is being funded by the school jacking up tuition by an additional 5k a semester, which is absurd. All of this is being done in the name of turning our school from a basketball school into a football school, which is stupid because you just can't do those kinds of things overnight, especially when your basketball team has a history and a national title under it's belt and the football team has absolutely nothing of note. We're not a football school. We were never a football school. We will never be a football school. And I'm happy with that.

We deserved to loose to Nevada and we should have. I'm not defending our team. If I was, do you really think I'd be bashing our coach and program?

Who are you to flame Mr. Port Chester posing as Greenwich?

Si habla that :cool:

I went to Greenwich High School, Western Middle School and Glenville Elementary. My house is literally on the border between the two towns. Mailbox is in Port Chester and the house is in Greenwich. We pay taxes to CT although I had the option of attending school in Rye Brook (I'm not Jewish so I took a pass on that). Would you like me to email you my address so you can go check on Google maps to confirm what I said? As far as I'm concerned, I'm all Greenwich, I just tell folks I'm not from there when there's banter against the proverbial 1%, because there are tons of folks who automatically assume that being from Greenwich means I'm in the 1% and a trust fund baby who drives a Beamer. I'm as far from the Greenwich stereotype as one can get whilst still being white, not in poverty and decently educated.

And I'm not hating on ND either, I'm just pointing a few things out. For what it's worth, a good friend of mine's brother played for them. My close circle of friends when I studied abroad were all from Notre Dame, and they looked after me as if I was their younger brother, something for which I will always be grateful for. I have a ton of respect for their institution. Did I think their football team was overrated? Absolutely, and now it's in plain sight that they were.

My bump was a joke. It's obvious you're still reeling over the fact that your favorite pro team stupidly decided to keep that fat oaf of a head coach, which was the reason they sucked this year.

norbac
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
If you think about it the game was actually pretty close. Take away 42 points from Alabama, and Notre Dame actually won.

jamesblakefan#1
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Apparently Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend never existed, and he was in on it.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&post=56284133

WOW.

norcal
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Apparently Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend never existed, and he was in on it.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&post=56284133

WOW.I was about to post that. ND claims he's the victim of a hoax but if you read what he said there is no logical way he wasn't in on it.

Dude's a pathological liar. I thought the younger generation knew better than to perpetuate big lies on the internet - it never works. Wonder how it will affect his draft status? Dude is mental.

wrxinsc
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
One of the strangest sports related things ever. Just skimmed the article but as jbf said. wow.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
What the hell happened to just going to college, getting a solid education, and play some collegiate sports? It seems like programs and perhaps the students themselves are more concerned with media exposure than anything.

JohnnyCracker
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Lars and the Real Girl :)

Fearsome Forehand
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
If you read the story, he may have manufactured the entire dead gf story to garner sympathy votes for the Heisman. At best, he perpetuated the dead GF lie.

The press is going to have to cover this now whether he went to sacrosanct ND, or not. This is a big story. Might be the headline of Drudge tomorrow AM.

And yes, ND was over ranked. They are a very good team but they just squeaked by several very marginal teams. Apparently, margin of victory is not a factor in BCS ratings which is rather stupid. I thought 'Bama would kick their butts and was not surprised by the outcome at all.

volleygirl
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
If you read the story, it is obvious he manufactured the entire story to garner sympathy votes for the Heisman. What a jerk!

The press is going to have to cover this now whether he went to ND, or not.

And yes, ND was over ranked. They are a very good team but they just squeaked by several very marginal teams. Apparently, margin of victory is not a factor in BCS ratings which is rather stupid. I thought 'Bama would kick their butts and was not surprised by the outcome at all.

Whats bad is that ESPN is never the one who breaks a story like this. It was Deadspin Magazine for gods sake. Was it ESPN that broke the Reggie Bush scandal at USC? Nope it was Yahoo Sports and there wasnt anyone on earth more shocked about the roid usage by Arod and all the other cheaters in baseball than the guys covering baseball for ESPN. Peter Gammons could have been in the room while Arod, Bonds, Clemens, and McGuire all shot roids in each other and he still wouldnt have noticed it happening. ESPN is a joke if news is what youre lookin for

bluetrain4
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I have been catching up with this story and it's just so fantastically crazy.

T1000
01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Why hasn't Kelley been fired yet and ND sanctioned? This bs lie game, covered up a **** and the victim killed herself in 2010, and he made a student tape practice on a metal lift 50ft in the air during a storm and he died also in 2010. Honestly this is becoming worse than Penn St. and so glad they got destroyed by Bama (and I hate every SEC school)

norcal
01-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Maybe he's gay. Family wants to meet the g/f (who is actually the b/f) so they kill off the fake g/f to take care of that problem - media gets a hold of the story (does no fact checking) and runs with it. He rolls with lies.

Or he's a total idiot who was duped and made up 'meeting' her in person to save face.

Or he's a total fraud.

Or all three.

This is funny though: http://teoing.tumblr.com/

SLD76
01-17-2013, 07:09 AM
strangest story Ive EVER heard

the current theory is the gf was 'cooked up' to hide the fact that he was involved with another man.

SLD76
01-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Whats bad is that ESPN is never the one who breaks a story like this. It was Deadspin Magazine for gods sake. Was it ESPN that broke the Reggie Bush scandal at USC? Nope it was Yahoo Sports and there wasnt anyone on earth more shocked about the roid usage by Arod and all the other cheaters in baseball than the guys covering baseball for ESPN. Peter Gamwmons could have been in the room while Arod, Bonds, Clemens, and McGuire all shot roids in each other and he still wouldnt have noticed it happening. ESPN is a joke if news is what youre lookin for

good point, I cant think of one big sports story in the past 6 years broken by Espn.

Heck, the Tiger Woods story was broken by the national enquirer.

SLD76
01-17-2013, 07:13 AM
I was about to post that. ND claims he's the victim of a hoax but if you read what he said there is no logical way he wasn't in on it.

Dude's a pathological liar. I thought the younger generation knew better than to perpetuate big lies on the internet - it never works. Wonder how it will affect his draft status? Dude is mental.

he claimed she visited him and he her.

his FAMILY claimed she spent time with them in Hawaii.

No WAY he wasnt in on it.

bluetrain4
01-17-2013, 07:18 AM
I think he was in on it.

After the Deadspin story was published, it definitely looked like he was in on it from the start.

There are a few updates today on SB Nation that suggest maybe he was actually the victim of a hoax, but even then, he maybe could have been at the beginning, but ran with it once he found out.

No matter - ND and T'eo knew by December 26, 2012 that she didn't exist. Yet, in press leading up to the BCS Championship, he still referenced her.

So, he lied. The issue is how much he lied and over how long of period he lied. And what's really interesting to me is his motivation for lying which could be any number of things or combination of things.

goober
01-17-2013, 07:50 AM
he claimed she visited him and he her.

his FAMILY claimed she spent time with them in Hawaii.

No WAY he wasnt in on it.

Yeah the dad said in a taped interview that he met the girl in person and she could be his future daughter in law.

LOL no fraud like whole family fraud

SLD76
01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I think he was in on it.

After the Deadspin story was published, it definitely looked like he was in on it from the start.

There are a few updates today on SB Nation that suggest maybe he was actually the victim of a hoax, but even then, he maybe could have been at the beginning, but ran with it once he found out.

No matter - ND and T'eo knew by December 6, 2012 that she didn't exist. Yet, in press leading up to the BCS Championship, he still referenced her.

So, he lied. The issue is how much he lied and over how long of period he lied. And what's really interesting to me is his motivation for lying which could be any number of things or combination of things.

I think it was to cover up the fact that he was gay and involved with another man. Possibly the fellow listed in the article.

Think about it, star player at big program, mormon, football player, samoan culture...doesnt look kindly on homosexuality.

whats a better cover than my-girlfriend-lives-far-away-and-is-sick-and-then-she-died-and-ill-never-love-anybody-else-again.

goober
01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I think it was to cover up the fact that he was gay and involved with another man. Possibly the fellow listed in the article.

Think about it, star player at big program, mormon, football player, samoan culture...doesnt look kindly on homosexuality.

whats a better cover than my-girlfriend-lives-far-away-and-is-sick-and-then-she-died-and-ill-never-love-anybody-else-again.

That would be a reasonable explanation IF it is true. Unfortunately we won't know that unless he comes out says he is gay. I would actually repect him if he came out and said it and say that is why he set this whole thing up. But if goes with this story that he was duped and he didn't know the girl was fake even though anybody older than 10 years old would figure it out, that's pathetic.

bluetrain4
01-17-2013, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I've seen that thrown around, and don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity. But, if he was merely trying to cover up his sexuality, wasn't he going WAY overboard. Killing her off with luekemia in addition to suffering a car accident, referencing her multiple times in national media - couldn't he see that the bigger spectacle he made, the more attention it would draw, inevitably people would ask questions (especially after she died) and he could be "found out."

I don't know. I'd imagine if his sexuality were the issue he could be incredibly desperate given the context (Mormon, Catholic school, football player) and not really thinking clearly. But, still.

For once, I really have no idea, or really any opinion. It could be that he's gay and trying to cover that up. I could be that he was using it as PR for the Heisman. It could be that he's incredibly stupid, got embarrassed and kept up the charade. Or, it could be a combination of those things.

I generally don't believe he was duped from the beginning. But, again, I have no idea.

Fearsome Forehand
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I think coming out as a homosexual would have been the ultimate PR move to win the Heisman. Then if a writer voted for anyone else, the writer is a homophobe. :)

Give it a week, the truth will come out. If he invented the whole thing, it was not to cover homosexuality but simply to gain sympathy and then portray himself as a hero, soldiering on despite his tremendous personal loss. Win one for the Gipper is now Win one for the fake dead girlfriend.

goober
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Story is getting stranger and stranger. Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia says he has met this girl in person and he was close with her family and Kekua's mother was operating her Twitter account. This was AFTER Notre Dame held a press conference that stated it all was an elaborate hoax.
:shock:

Dedans Penthouse
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
This guy's either the most gullible sap (not likely imho), a calculating Brian Bosworth type fit for the 'Oprah' crowd, or, the 'Metro Mark' Sanchez of LB's. This story is Supermarket Check-out Counter Magazine worthy tripe and he can go tell "his story" ...sob!... to a sympathetic, sexually frustrated audience on The View for all I care ...snooze...

I'm sure Oprah's people are already working the phones...

"Oh Lennay!...when I hear your soft voice lying here all alone .... I get those 'feelings' that I spoke about ..... right now you're making me sooo har..." *operator*: "please deposit 75 cents for the next 3 minutes..." ...Hello??....Lennay???...."

http://gamedayr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-150x150.jpg

WARPWOODIE
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
(Mormon, Catholic school, football player)

Man, he had the best of both worlds....A Mormon can have multiple wives:):)...and as a Catholic, you just confess and you're absolved of your sins.:oops::???:

RealityPolice
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
I think coming out as a homosexual would have been the ultimate PR move to win the Heisman. Then if a writer voted for anyone else, the writer is a homophobe. :)

Give it a week, the truth will come out. I think he invented the whole thing not to cover homosexuality but simply to gain sympathy and then portray himself as a hero, soldiering on despite his tremendous personal loss. Win one for the Gipper is now Win one for the fake dead girlfriend.
Not buying the victim of a hoax story at all myself.

He actually could've had all the sympathy strictly from his grandmother's (confirmed) death; he was evidently very close to his grandparents. There was no need to invent the fake girlfriend to add to the story. Talk about overplaying one's hand!

dParis
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Whats bad is that ESPN is never the one who breaks a story like this.

And yet another reason to hate ESPN.

----------

I'm not going the fake indignation route, but I am a wee bit ashamed of myself for being entertained at the expense of someone with psychological issues. (Kinda' like spending time on TT);-)

I never even heard of this girl who never existed so, in a way, I felt like I knew her. Up to the point when I heard of her, that is.

CCNM
01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Don't know about you guys but I am quite intrigued by the whole Manti Te'o story. Apparently his real grandma passed away-for real-at around the same time his "girlfriend" did.

West Coast Ace
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Why hasn't Kelley been fired yet and ND sanctioned? This bs lie game, covered up a **** and the victim killed herself in 2010, and he made a student tape practice on a metal lift 50ft in the air during a storm and he died also in 2010. Honestly this is becoming worse than Penn St. and so glad they got destroyed by Bama (and I hate every SEC school)Great post. Kelley is scum and should be in prison right now. ND is totally hypocritical.

Te'o certainly fits the profile of the rockhead athlete to be duped (at first I thought he was in on it for publicity but that now appears not to be the case) this easily.

And what does this say about the quality of the ND female population; star athlete has to have a long distance gf? I'm afraid to ask what the mortals do.

Dedans Penthouse
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Great post.Great post? Well, yes ... that is, if you consider blatant distortion of facts "great."

O.J. Simpson is scum and should be in prison right now. ^Fixed.

Te'o certainly fits the profile of the rockhead athlete to be duped (at first I thought he was in on it for publicity but that now appears not to be the case) this easily.

And what does this say about the quality of the ND female population; star athlete has to have a long distance gf? I'm afraid to ask what the mortals do.
While I don't have an ND-Southern Cal dog in this fight (unlike you), still, I'll tell you what:

I'll trade goofball Manti Te'o's cell phone for Reggie Bush's Heisman Trophy and O.J.'s. Btw, do either of them still have theirs?? ..... ;-)