PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ Notre Dame

Pages : [1] 2

soyizgood
09-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Fighting Irish now 0-5! Nice to know they're getting their $50 million's worth of performance from Weis. Funny that they could be winning with players Willingham recruited, but can't do squat with players Weis gets. Weis is an offensive guru, but his team hasn't scored 20pts yet. Meanwhile they give up 33 a game.

As a PAC-10 fan, I'm enjoying every loss ND racks up. Serves them right for firing Willingham after one bad season and then jumping the gun for Weis (10yr/$50 million) winning with Willingham's guys.

Hope UCLA clobbers them next week. Go PAC-10!

goober
09-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Fighting Irish now 0-5! Nice to know they're getting their $50 million's worth of performance from Weis. Funny that they could be winning with players Willingham recruited, but can't do squat with players Weis gets. Weis is an offensive guru, but his team hasn't scored 20pts yet. Meanwhile they give up 33 a game.

As a PAC-10 fan, I'm enjoying every loss ND racks up. Serves them right for firing Willingham after one bad season and then jumping the gun for Weis (10yr/$50 million) winning with Willingham's guys.

Hope UCLA clobbers them next week. Go PAC-10!

Weis was given a huge, long term contract after one year. That was ********. You never judge a coach after one year bad or good.

Willingham went 10-2 his first year there as well. No huge contract extension for him.

You simplify how far he went down though in the next two seasons though. He went 5-7 the next year and 4 of those losses were blow outs which are not suppose to occur at Notre Dame. His 3rd season he went 6-5 which was also a bad year considering the manner in which they were losing games. So he really had two bad seasons.

Willingham is not exactly tearing it up at Washington now either. He so far has gone 2-9 and 5-7. This year I would be surprised if they finish above .500 I think Willingham is overrated actually. He had 2 good seasons at Stanford, 2 okay ones and 3 bad ones.

goober
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah I LMAO at ND too :-D

soyizgood
09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I can't believe ABC is going to torture fans by showing the UCLA-ND game. ND was LUCKY to win that one last year. This year it might be a ho-hum affair. The wager should be if ND can get more than 14 points. UCLA's speed is going to cause all sorts of hell for those guys.

ND will probably have to wait until they play the service academies for their first win. At least they keep the contract money they're getting from NBC....haha

mcpon
09-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Willingham did okay against USC today, only losing by 3.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
I am glad Notre Dame, the most OVERRATED team in college football IMO are losing. It's a little piece of heaven and even better to expose Weis for what he really is...

xtremerunnerars
09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
It's one bad year, give em a break. I'm not a major ND fan but I don't hate them either.

Weis isn't that big of a deal really...a lot of people don't even recognize him. He walked through my high school and I bet the bulk of the people had NO idea who he was. He was there to recruit our best player (who ended up going there...currently redshirted)

KBalla08
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
hahahahahaha 0-5 wooo thats funny

Bundey
09-30-2007, 11:26 AM
LOL. ND sucks!!!!

lethalfang
09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Weis isn't that big of a deal really...

When you said "big," you mean...... in terms of volume and mass or what?

soyizgood
10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh my! UCLA really needs to dump the coach. They got OWNED by an inept ND squad. ND didn't do anything on offense (148yds), but their defense did all the dirty work to get the points.

I'm still LMAO at you Notre Dame. But as a USC fan, I can at least LMAO at the Bruins. If only USC didn't lose to STANFORD today...argh! :(

Oh, and ND only had 1 significant drive on offense for a FG. The other points came directly or indirectly from their defense. So ND's offense really only mustered 3 points.

Strawberry
10-06-2007, 08:52 PM
What's with all the College Football threads? There's been 3 or 4 in the last hour.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
10-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Oh my! UCLA really needs to dump the coach. They got OWNED by an inept ND squad. ND didn't do anything on offense (148yds), but their defense did all the dirty work to get the points.

I'm still LMAO at you Notre Dame. But as a USC fan, I can at least LMAO at the Bruins. If only USC didn't lose to STANFORD today...argh! :(

Oh, and ND only had 1 significant drive on offense for a FG. The other points came directly or indirectly from their defense. So ND's offense really only mustered 3 points.

Did you watch the game? Starting QB got owned in the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd. A freshmen replacement had to be used.

soyizgood
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Did you watch the game? Starting QB got owned in the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd. A freshmen replacement had to be used.

I did watch the game. I saw Olsen going down. That sucked. I thought he was suffering from a groin pull when I saw that injury occur. But apparently it's his knee. And even then ND had to settle for a FG despite getting the ball at the UCLA 1 yd line. PATHETIC!

soyizgood
10-06-2007, 09:30 PM
What's with all the College Football threads? There's been 3 or 4 in the last hour.

This was here last week. I thought UCLA would steamroll ND, but that didn't happen. UCLA's offense got outscored by ND's defense. The replacement QB for UCLA played lousy, but that's where I blame UCLA's coach. He should have ran the ball at Notre Dame seeing that the Irish can't stop the run. When they tried that, they got good yardage. But then UCLA would either get penalties or fumble the ball away. UCLA's defense did a great job against ND. But the offense cost them dearly.

You know the new QB is going to mess up, but I LMAO'd when the QB threw a perfect pass into the end zone and the receiver had butterfingers. Instead of getting 7, they ended up tossing an INT on 4th and goal. UCLA has 6 TO's in the game and basically gave the game away. UCLA still has never beaten Notre Dame. And probably won't for as long as Dorell "we lose everytime we get into the top 25" is leading them.

Strawberry
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Sorry about that, I didn't notice the Post Date. Did Notre Dame beat UCLA? I sure hope so, I feel bad for Weis.

soyizgood
10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry about that, I didn't notice the Post Date. Did Notre Dame beat UCLA? I sure hope so, I feel bad for Weis.

Notre Dame 20
UCLA 6

Neither team deserved to win based on how lousy both teams played on offense. USC will beat both those low-life squads up, so I couldn't care less who won this one. Nice to see UCLA fans covering their faces and watching the Rose Bowl go silent.

UCLA is still ahead of USC in the PAC-10 standings. :( But UCLA always does a half-@$$ job with their football program, so maybe they'll get to the Holiday Bowl this time. What's the difference between Cheerios and Notre Dame? Cheerios belongs in a bowl. :)

Strawberry
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
What's the difference between Cheerios and Notre Dame? Cheerios belongs in a bowl. :)

Harharhar.

lethalfang
10-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Their starting QB wasn't having much luck, either, although he didn't throw all those TD passes for Notre Dame as the 3rd stringer did.
By the way, Karl Dorrell sucks. I've been saying that for 4 years and I will continue to say that.

abenguyen
10-06-2007, 11:18 PM
i think its pretty funny too. lol they one their game today and now are 1-5 lol. i think it was the quarterback, but could've been someone else, but they were holding up their pointer finger saying they are number 1 and i thought it was funny cause they're 1-5. but he could've been trying to say one game, one game thats all we're gonna win this season.

my_forehand
10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Notre Dame 20
UCLA 6

Neither team deserved to win based on how lousy both teams played on offense. USC will beat both those low-life squads up, so I couldn't care less who won this one. Nice to see UCLA fans covering their faces and watching the Rose Bowl go silent.

UCLA is still ahead of USC in the PAC-10 standings. :( But UCLA always does a half-@$$ job with their football program, so maybe they'll get to the Holiday Bowl this time. What's the difference between Cheerios and Notre Dame? Cheerios belongs in a bowl. :)

lol

(10char)

soyizgood
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm keeping this thread up until the end of Notre Dame's miserable season. It wouldn't surprise me to see the service academies slap them around. Before that, they face Boston College.

Two overhyped Catholic schools duke it out. BC comes from the ACC, last year's weakest BCS conference. BC wants to really kick the cr@p out of its hated rival. ND's offense is allergic to scoring and moving the ball. I don't see BC turning the ball over 6 times like that pretentious LA school (U*LA) did yesterday, so here's to 1-6 you whiny Irish.

Dedans Penthouse
10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
USC will beat both those low-life squads up, ............Notre Dame........ :)
Yeah, the general consensus is that compared to 'S.C.', ND and UCLA are "low-lifes." :razz:
http://deadspin.com/sports/notag/trojan-fan-have-their-eyes-on-the-prize-304315.php

Meanwhile, somewhere out on a golf course:

:mad:---"I won't rest until I catch that 'murderer'!"
:cool:---"Sure O.J....sure....just stay 'the course' 'Juice' & let us know how you're makin' out."

soyizgood
10-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the general consensus is that compared to 'S.C.', ND and UCLA are "low-lifes." :razz:
http://deadspin.com/sports/notag/trojan-fan-have-their-eyes-on-the-prize-304315.php

:cool:---"Sure O.J....sure....just stay 'the course' 'Juice' & let us know how you're makin' out."

Yeah and Kareem "I let my accountant spend all my money" Abdul-Jabbar and Bill "I'm so stoned I say stupid stuff and smile" Walton are prime examples of UCLA graduates...HA!

tricky
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah and Kareem "I let my accountant spend all my money" Abdul-Jabbar and Bill "I'm so stoned I say stupid stuff and smile" Walton are prime examples of UCLA graduates...HA!In other words, one of the greatest centers in the history of basketball, and one of the most popular talking heads (for better or worse) in the NBA are prime examples of UCLA graduates. And neither drove a Ford Bronco. Ha.

soyizgood
10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
USC's last football national title: 2004
Notre Dame's: 1988
UCLA: 1954

USC's last bowl win: 2006
Notre Dame: 1993 (0-9 since then)
UCLA: 2005 (the oh so prestigious Sun Bowl)

Take that, baby Bears. Enjoy playing with your "Rex Grossman" at the helm. As for the crying Irish, I won't rub it in any further, for now. ;)

tricky
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Take that, baby Bears. Enjoy playing with your "Rex Grossman" at the helm. As for the crying Irish, I won't rub it in any further, for now.I'm not a Bruin (and I hate Notre Dame), but the idea of a SC alumni crowing the week of The Biggest Upset Ever is just weak, man.

Petros on 570 was right about Karl Dorrell, though. QB injuries had been an issue all year with the Bruins, but it didn't seem like Dorrell had prepared the 3rd string in case this would happen. It wasn't as the warning signs weren't there. The guy they put out, a redshirt, was flat-out unprepared for this game, and the blame largely should go to Dorrell.

snoflewis
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
i went to school w/ clausen.

tricky
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Was he really that good?

soyizgood
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Petros on 570 was right about Karl Dorrell, though. QB injuries had been an issue all year with the Bruins, but it didn't seem like Dorrell had prepared the 3rd string in case this would happen. It wasn't as the warning signs weren't there. The guy they put out, a redshirt, was flat-out unprepared for this game, and the blame largely should go to Dorrell.

The part about Dorrell I agree. Even then, UCLA should have ran the ball at Notre Dame the whole game. There was no reason to bother throwing as ND gives up over 200 yds/game on the ground. When you put a new QB in, you run so you make the QB more comfortable. It's not Dorrell's fault the team had over 10 penalties, but he should have done more and better prepared his backup QB.

Dedans Penthouse
10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
....Before that, they face Boston College.

Two overhyped Catholic schools duke it out. BC comes from the ACC, Nice (unintentional) jeu de mot~!!!! If it wasn't for your 'u.s.c. trojan' affiliation, I'd have thought you meant that one! :razz:

BC did take the money and ran (joining the ACC), so I'm no fan of theirs. That said, when I think RANKINGS and "U.S.C." comes to mind, I think: why of course!.......SOUTH CAROLINA! :-)

1. LSU
2. Cal
3. Ohio State
4. Overhyped 'Catholic' school (not "overhyped school" but "overhyped 'Catholic' school"--what was THAT all about?)
5. SOUTH Florida
6. Oklahoma
7. SOUTH CAROLINA (USC!)
8. West Virginia
9. Oregon Quackers
10. u.s.c.

tricky: nice "Ford Bronco" joke. lol :-)

tricky
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
When you put a new QB in, you run so you make the QB more comfortable. It's not Dorrell's fault the team had over 10 penalties, but he should have done more and better prepared his backup QB.

Agreed, and that's part of Dorrell's MO. When sheet hits the fan, what does Dorrell always do? Look at his hard board. Looks at it some more. Keeps looking at it until his team loses by 20 to a high school team. He just didn't seem like a "Plan B" person.

Truth is, I'm mad at SC. Even though I'm a Cal alumni and grew up a Buckeye fan, SC is the unofficial football team of South California (sorry Chargers!) I'm mad thay they put themselves into a hole like this, when game after game, the warning signs were there. The Pac-10 is maybe the 2nd toughest conference this year; with all of their problems, they'll have to fight their way out of a hole just to win the Pac-10. I was hoping that we would get 2 Pac-10 reps in the BCS, one vying for the title, and the other representing the Pac-10 in the Rose Bowl.

That said, it was really eerie watching both UCLA and ND fans cheering wildly when the score went up. Has that EVER happened?

soyizgood
10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Agreed, and that's part of Dorrell's MO. When sheet hits the fan, what does Dorrell always do? Look at his hard board. Looks at it some more. Keeps looking at it until his team loses by 20 to a high school team. He just didn't seem like a "Plan B" person.

Truth is, I'm mad at SC. Even though I'm a Cal alumni and grew up a Buckeye fan, SC is the unofficial football team of South California (sorry Chargers!) I'm mad thay they put themselves into a hole like this, when game after game, the warning signs were there. The Pac-10 is maybe the 2nd toughest conference this year; with all of their problems, they'll have to fight their way out of a hole just to win the Pac-10. I was hoping that we would get 2 Pac-10 reps in the BCS, one vying for the title, and the other representing the Pac-10 in the Rose Bowl.

That said, it was really eerie watching both UCLA and ND fans cheering wildly when the score went up. Has that EVER happened?

I refuse to root for the Chargers. 49er fan for life! That and the Chargers will make playoff appearances every 5-7 years while being dreadful in between. They fire a coach after a 14-2 season and now they have a weak offense, a dodo-bird coach, and an overhyped LT/PR combo that's not doing much of anything. USC is the football team of SoCal, by far!

It's still possible for the Pac-10 to get 2 BCS bids. At this point Cal is running the table, but their defense needs to improve. The only remaining threats for them are USC and Arizona St. USC will need to bump off Oregon somehow because I don't see them beating Cal this year. Oregon almost always crashes and burns the 2nd half of the season. So it might be Cal and USC/Arizona St. making it to BCS bowls.

The ND and UCLA fans cheering at the USC score was just WRONG! Next thing you know USC and UCLA fans might cheer seeing the Az. Wildcats lose a b-ball game. I just might create a LMAO@UCLA thread just for retribution. Still I was mad at USC for goofing that one up. Booty the last two weeks has been aiming like a Grossman pupil (8 INTS!!), so they need to run more.

Growing up I liked the Wa. Huskies, but went to UCLA for two years (hated it there as I wanted to go to USC), and been a USC fan for about 10 years. So I have no problems with UCLA wetting its bed with Dorrell.

soyizgood
10-13-2007, 05:47 PM
ND drops to 1-6. New QB, still same result. Boston College didn't impress me at all with their play. Then again, Notre Dame's offense is so inept that BC didn't have to do much of anything.

Notre Dame's team probably couldn't score on Appalachian State at this point. Their defense scores more than their offense, which is just sad.

soyizgood
10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
OUCH! Just when I thought I was having a good day, the PAC-10 got its butt kicked. Cal and ASU bit the dust, while USC barely escaped with its own.

I'm mad at the PAC-10 right now. :( We're only going to get one BCS team and have to witness teams like tOSU and SOUTH FLORIDA running the table....EWWW!

soyizgood
10-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I knew USC would beat ND, but 38-0!!! OUCH! I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for the Irish fans. Even 'SC folks would like to see a decent ND team. When does ND's TV contract with NBC expire?

This is a crazy football season. Seems like elite teams are just getting dropped every week. IF USC can run the table, we might make it to the title game after all. We bloodied ND the way this team should have been playing all year. We need to cut down on the penalties and TO's, but just staying alive is the goal now.

soyizgood
11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Navy 46
Notre Dame 44

The 43 year win streak ND had over Navy is OOOOOOOOOOOOVER! Just WOW! I honestly thought ND would have at least kept that streak alive. Congrats Navy. Hard fought game by both sides.

goober
11-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Navy 46
Notre Dame 44

The 43 year win streak ND had over Navy is OOOOOOOOOOOOVER! Just WOW! I honestly thought ND would have at least kept that streak alive. Congrats Navy. Hard fought game by both sides.

Wow that was surprising. The talent at Notre Dame is >>>> than Navy. Navy gets 1 and 2 star rec-ruits hasn't produced anybody of note in football since Roger Staubach.

soyizgood
11-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I knew both teams had lousy defenses, but I was surprised to see that many points put up. Weis got outcoached, outsmarted, outexecuted, and his team got outplayed by a bunch of scrappy guys that played with heart. ND could learn a few things from Navy today.

soyizgood
11-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Air Force 41
Notre Dame 24

This nightmare never ends. ND now 0-6 at home. The service academies won the season series vs. ND. Can army complete the sweep? Will Notre Dame fire their defensive coordinator and/or add some of the band members to the defense? ND is showing they can score, but they couldn't stop a teletubby from scoring.

vince916
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Air Force 41
Notre Dame 24

This nightmare never ends. ND now 0-6 at home. The service academies won the season series vs. ND. Can army complete the sweep?

Army doesnt play Notre Dame.

goober
11-10-2007, 06:12 PM
North Texas put up 62 (and lost!) on Navy which makes Notre Dame's loss even more embarrassing. That 10 year extension for Weiss is looking better all the time :)

soyizgood
11-10-2007, 11:10 PM
North Texas put up 62 (and lost!) on Navy which makes Notre Dame's loss even more embarrassing. That 10 year extension for Weiss is looking better all the time :)

I saw that score earlier too and I dropped my jaw... 136PTS! And there was no overtime involved. Maybe North Texas decided to duplicate the strategies Weis used: forget playing defense, remember it's only a service academy we're dealing with, muscle and image are EVERYTHING.

When was the last time Navy had more wins than ND? ND has as many wins as Duke this year and one less than Syracuse. This just gets better every week.

ACE of Hearts
11-10-2007, 11:12 PM
So much for the coaching ability of Charlie Weis, he looks lost.

Tennis-Chris
11-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Do ya think the priests in South Bend have dialed Ty Willingham yet?:confused:

Tennis-Chris
11-11-2007, 06:55 AM
My niece's girls flag football team has called South Bend looking to add the Irish to their schedule next year. As of this morning they have not had a return call.:razz:

goober
11-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Do ya think the priests in South Bend have dialed Ty Willingham yet?:confused:

Unfortunately Ty Willingham is having his 3rd straight losing season at Washington at 3-7 with only one Pac 10 win over lowly Stanford. He is on nobody's short list for a new head coach.

AV1
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Notre Dame sucks! So does Charlie Weiss!

Notre Dame has always given a coach a 5 year contract and never fired a coach before the full 5 years were up, no matter how bad the teamís record until Ty Willingham.

Charlie Weiss is completely over-rated as a coach. His first 2 years at Notre Dame the team had a decent record and went to BCS games but that was Ty Willingham's recruiting class. Now the team on the field is a class recruited by Charlie Weiss...

ND and CW both suck!

soyizgood
11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Notre Dame 28
Duke 7

Notre Dame has wins against the East and West Coast (PAC-10 and ACC). Too bad they were against the lower tiered squads (UCLA, Duke) and not the higher end ones (USC, Boston College). Had they lost to Duke, there would have been an Amber alert for Weis. That or an exorcism being conducted in South Bend with Weis as the human sacrifice.

SoBad
11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
They're in the Big East finals tomorrow against Connecticut, no??

soyizgood
11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
They're in the Big East finals tomorrow against Connecticut, no??

I was referring to Notre Dame's 2-9 football squad. Their B-ball program isn't that hot either.

goober
11-18-2007, 05:30 AM
I was referring to Notre Dame's 2-9 football squad. Their B-ball program isn't that hot either.

Yes but their women's tennis team is pretty hot.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/w-tennis/auto_ndwide/1512951.jpeg

Notre Dame's Brook Buck and junior Kelcy Tefft won the ITA national championship in doubles.

UW_Husky88
11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
the one on the left is nice, but the one on the right has a weird face I think.

soyizgood
11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
the one on the left is nice, but the one on the right has a weird face I think.

I'm not above hooking up with either one....or BOTH. ;)

soyizgood
11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
ND finished their campaign at 3-9. Wins against perennial powers UCLA, Stanford, and Duke. Oh wait this is football we're talking about....

Callahan got canned winning 5 games, while Weis takes home a cool $10 million. That's $3.3 million/victory. I wonder what NBC's ratings were with ND football...LMAO!

ND should do better next year, so there's some hope. Weis needs to really recruit defensive players and ditch their coordinators. First they couldn't score, then they couldn't stop anyone from scoring. As a USC fan, I enjoyed this a lot. :)

alwaysatnet
11-24-2007, 06:25 PM
It couldn't happen to a nicer college program. Notre Dame's self promotion and back patting has always left me cold. Now they get what's coming to them and not even resurrecting Pat O'Brien from the grave could help them now. They have always struck me as the college equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys or N.Y. Yankees: the self proclaimed "America's Team" that America never asked for.

Charlie Weiss is a clueless loser and good luck to Notre Dame with him. B.T.W., when the Cougars get through with Ty Willingham and the Huskies no one will be phoning to get Ty back.

J-man
11-25-2007, 08:40 AM
I am a fan of ND but this has been a terrible year. They've been switching head coaches for many years. I have to agree Weiss is full of ****!

They better do better next year. It's a dangerous time to be Notre Dame fan, lol.

Dedans Penthouse
11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
ND finished their campaign at 3-9. Wins against perennial powers UCLA, Stanford, and Duke. Oh wait this is football we're talking about....How conveniently disregarded or "forgotten":
USC LOST AT HOME TO 'perennial powerhouse' STANFORD this year.

"Free O.J. NOW!"
:razz:

alwaysatnet, about the "Yankees" as being one of the 'America's teams' that was not asked for:

"America's Team" are the Dallas Cowboys' and to a (MUCH) lesser extent, Ted Turner's Atlanta Braves; the Yanks never insisted on being referred to in a 'national' sense. Any 'geographical' reference associated with the Yankees is local not national: i.e. their "BRONX Bombers" moniker. The only thing I can think of that "America-wise" sets the Yankees apart from any other American professional sports team, is that they are the only TEAM never to have any of their PLAYER'S NAMES on their uniforms; all other teams (esp. baseball) have at one time or another despite a number of them having "seen the light" and going back to the 'old school' traditional look. And speaking of "America's Team," what of the "Terrell Owens" type of showboating???....That doesn't fly with the Yankees; that crap came and went with Reggie Jackson (and Jackson's standing-at-home-plate "act" was one that many here didn't warm up to). Manny Ramerez and Barry Bonds can stand there with their arms raised showing up the other team/opposing pitcher and be beloved by the "locals," but you will NOT see that nowadays from the "Non-America" New York Yankees. De classe' RBI clowns such as Ramerez (who looks like a mariachi band castoff, what with his 'bellbottom' pants & shiny patent-leather spikes) obviously consider 'styling' at home plate to be de rigguer---however, again, that's not the case with "The Pinstripers."

America's team? Nah. That's the Cowboys (& Ted Turner's Atlanta Braves) -- again, in both cases, a SELF-PROCLAIMED "title." Here in N.Y., we simply call 'em: The Yankees or Yanks (the papers use the "Bronx Bombers" tag) or, once in a blue moon, the Hilltoppers (their original name). Yankees as "America's team?" Nah, aren't they now referred to as "The Evil Empire" by those not-so-darling-afterall, Boston Red Sox front office schmucks? Gee, now THERE'S class for ya. :rolleyes:

Finally, the Yankees are the team that's "publically hated" yet (silently) loved by the opposing team's owners as they note that the ticket sales suddenly double when "THE NO-NAME TEAM" comes to town. :-)

tzinc
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I am a huge ND fan but no way should they have fired Ty. The ONLY winning Charlies has done at ND is with Ty's ********. This is if nothing else BAD KARMA for screwing Ty.

alwaysatnet
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I am corrected. The Atlanta Braves were self described as America's team. Not the Yankees. Belated apologies to the Yanks. And condolences to Joe Torre. He deserved a lot better.

soyizgood
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
ND never claimed to be America's team, but the way they push around their tradition and reputation on the masses easily gives you the impression they want to be America's team. They get all their home games televised on national TV, get special treatment from the BCS (finish in the top 12 and they're in, AND get a share of the BCS money even if they don't make a BCS bowl), and their fight tune is so annoying....

I used to like ND as a kid (during the rocket Ismail era) and felt they got cheated out of a national title to Florida St. But ever since Lou Holtz left, I started to dislike them (the overhyped Rick Mier/Ron Poulus/Brady Quinn, the incompetence of Bob Davies, the firing of Willingham, they got into bowls they didn't deserve, Weis, etc.).

I'm glad that ND, Florida St, Penn St., Miami, Nebraska, Alabama and others have gotten a dose of the new reality in football. It'll be interesting to see how those guys cope while we get treated to college ball at its best.

SoBad
11-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Sorry, I was actually talking about their soccer team, just happened to catch a glimpse of their semi-final match on TV and thought they were impressive. Anyways, please pardon my interjections and carry on with your American Football and Russian Women talks!@!:)

soyizgood
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry, I was actually talking about their soccer team, just happened to catch a glimpse of their semi-final match on TV and thought they were impressive. Anyways, please pardon my interjections and carry on with American Football your and Russian Women talks!@!:)

No problem man :)

soyizgood
12-01-2007, 07:31 PM

I rest my case. USC (Southern California, not the disappearing South Carolina) did their job and wiped the floor with ND and UCLA. The Trojans are the REAL USC. Meanwhile, did South Carolina even make Martin Luther King a holiday? If they FINALLY did, just shows how evolutionary that part of the Bible belt is.

soyizgood
12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Oregon almost always crashes and burns the 2nd half of the season.

Boy was I right on that one!

tricky
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but Oregon still beat SC. And if Dixon hadn't gone down, they may be playing for the national title right now.

soyizgood
10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Notre Dame is winless on the road. Blew a chance to beat North Carolina from that weak @ss ACC.

UNC 29
ND 24

J-man
10-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Absolutely disappointing.

soyizgood
10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
That was only the 2nd time UNC ever beat Notre Dame.... in 18 attempts. Weis is breaking records, but he's breaking the wrong ones.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
10-11-2008, 06:44 PM
How bout them Longhorns baby!!!! 45-35 Kicked Oklahoma's *** out. Too bad the game had several bad calls...

soyizgood
10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
How bout them Longhorns baby!!!! 45-35 Kicked Oklahoma's *** out. Too bad the game had several bad calls...

I can't stand the Sooners. Glad Texas hooked them.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I can't stand the Sooners. Glad Texas hooked them.

Im glad we have some decent people around ;) the rivalry is heating up though and im afraid only something bad can come out of it.

soyizgood
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Michigan fell to 2-4. Lost when the kicker hooked a 26YD FG! Missagain keeps on missing. Rodriguez realizes the Big House isn't a piece of cake to coach at.

They still have to face Penn St., Michigan St., and Ohio St. That 40 year streak of making a bowl looks like it'll be thrown out the window.

hmwmai
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Good UNC win!

goober
10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
You simplify how far he went down though in the next two seasons though. He went 5-7 the next year and 4 of those losses were blow outs which are not suppose to occur at Notre Dame. His 3rd season he went 6-5 which was also a bad year considering the manner in which they were losing games. So he really had two bad seasons.

Willingham is not exactly tearing it up at Washington now either. He so far has gone 2-9 and 5-7. This year I would be surprised if they finish above .500 I think Willingham is overrated actually. He had 2 good seasons at Stanford, 2 okay ones and 3 bad ones.

The trainwreck that is Willingham continues. After finishing up his 3rd straight losing season at Washington, he starts out this season 0-5. Hey pay me 1.5 mil/ year and I can give you the same results :)

The only potential win he has on the schedule is WSU, and that is not a gimme.

soyizgood
10-12-2008, 09:27 AM
The trainwreck that is Willingham continues. After finishing up his 3rd straight losing season at Washington, he starts out this season 0-5. Hey pay me 1.5 mil/ year and I can give you the same results :)

The only potential win he has on the schedule is WSU, and that is not a gimme.

It pains me to see how lousy the Huskies have become. The program Don James put on the map is just a shell of itself. The fans are great and the school is very strong academically. They deserve better.

soyizgood
11-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Notre Dame fell once again. Weis got outcoached by Wanstadt (guy who has been getting booed by the team's fans the past few years)? :shock: Pitt didn't even have a lead in the game until the OT. ND's weak schedule still can't mask their weaknesses.

Michigan has clinched a losing season, their first since 1967. ABC, please do not televise the OSU-Michigan game. Both teams suck and the Big 10 is almost as lousy as the Big East and ACC.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
11-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I know, whenever I see a guy with a ND logo on his clothes, I say "I feel your pain." My Illini aren't that good anymore after they pulled off that upset of Ohio State last year. But they beat Iowa 27-24 (I think. But it's still a W.)

FitzRoy
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Michigan has clinched a losing season, their first since 1967. ABC, please do not televise the OSU-Michigan game. Both teams suck and the Big 10 is almost as lousy as the Big East and ACC.

I'd have to say, the Big 10 is not "almost" as lousy as the Big East. They're worse than the Big East. Penn State will be in the national title game, which is a shame, because they're going to get crushed. Not good for anyone.

Penn State fans: understand that you should NOT want to be in that title game. See Ohio State last two years for explanation.

J-man
11-02-2008, 05:36 AM
****ing disappointed with the loss to Pitt

crazysoccer00
11-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd have to say, the Big 10 is not "almost" as lousy as the Big East. They're worse than the Big East. Penn State will be in the national title game, which is a shame, because they're going to get crushed. Not good for anyone.

Penn State fans: understand that you should NOT want to be in that title game. See Ohio State last two years for explanation.
Penn St is Penn St and Ohio St is Ohio St.

Why would they want to see Ohio State for explanation?

Penn State's been beating their bowl opponents for past couple of years.

Just b/c Ohio St.'s been struggling in bowl games doesn't mean Penn St struggles.

Remember the Heisman winning Tim Tebow's Florida team last year?

All the experts looked at what happened to Ohio St. team from the year before and thought Michigan would get smoked by the Speed Of SEC.

Guess what?

Michigan ran up and down the field on Florida and won.

Maybe Penn St. should look at Michigan last year instead of Ohio St.

soyizgood
11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
ND ate a bagel courtesy of Boston College

BC 17
ND 0

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3692574

Weis now wants more control over the offense play-calling.

He's not yet sure exactly what the role will be, although he strongly hinted he could get more involved in play calling -- a role he gave up before the season in an effort to become more of a coach to the entire team.

"I'm trying to do this head coach thing where you kind of delegate. But I think that when there's a problem and it's an area where you believe that you can be part of the answer, I think you'd better go help," he said Sunday evening.

Irish are 5-4 heading into next week's game with Navy. And we all know what happened in last year's game. ND might not even make a bowl as they also have USC to play. Weis is milking Notre Dame real good.

soyizgood
11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
ND has its victories over:
SD State 1-9
Michigan 3-7
Purdue 3-7
Stanford 5-5
Washington 0-9

Such an impressive resume when seeking out a bowl or justifying Weis' $50 million contract...ROTFLMAO

J-man
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
ND has its victories over:
SD State 1-9
Michigan 3-7
Purdue 3-7
Stanford 5-5
Washington 0-9

Such an impressive resume when seeking out a bowl or justifying Weis' $50 million contract...ROTFLMAOI know. I am fan of ND for years now but this is mediocre.

soyizgood
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
ND 42 seconds away from losing to SYRACUSE?!?!?!

14 seconds now. 4th and 10 from their own 30yrd line.

ND made it to the Syracuse 35yrd line on a prayer. 5 secs life. 53yd FG attempt.....

AND IT MISSED!

SYRACUSE WINS! 24-23 on ND's Senior Day. Ouch! Syracuse fired their coach and he still coached the team to victory.

soyizgood
11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Michigan got RAPED by Ohio St. I'm glad I didn't watch that game.

goober
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I am not sure what is worse.

Notre Dame losing at home to 2-8 Syracuse team. I guess that big fat contract to Weis after one year was not such good idea:)

OR Notre Dame's former coach Ty Willingham losing to WSU. It had to be the first time in college football history that a 0-10 team was a 9.5 point favorite in game. As bad as Washington happened to be, 1-10 WSU looked like a high school team out there. They had zero offense for 59 minutes of the game and then all the sudden the QB throws a bomb that is caught and they kick a FG and to send into OT. Of course WSU goes on to win while Willingham will go down as the worse coach in Pac 10 history (0-12)after he loses next week to CAL.

J-man
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I would not want to walk a mile in Ty's shoes. Watching Notre dame go down today was tough

soyizgood
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
UW is so pathetic they make the Detroit Lions look like a real football squad. The Pacific Northwest is having a bad season with UW, WSU, and the Seahawks all vying for the title of "Worst Team in the State." I guess the Cougars won the Apple Cup, though that's the closest thing to bragging rights they'll get this year. Good luck recruiting for both schools because I doubt the talent pool from California is interested in going to either team.

Texas Tech is having a very bad night against Oklahoma (52-14 atm), so there's still more time for some other teams to eat crow.

soyizgood
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-081125-charlie-weis-notre-dame-salary-corso,0,3989895.story

I guess his buyout would be quite hefty for Notre Dame to swallow in this economy.

Whatever the case, a consensus is building among sources with ties to Notre Dame that Weis is in danger of being fired after four seasons.

"He has built zero relationships at the school," one source said. "It has been all about him and his ego."

Dedans Penthouse
11-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Sometimes, you see a team rally around the fallen coach such as was apparently the case here with Syracuse's Greg Robinson in a ND-esque "win-it-for-the-Gipper" manner, i.e. a clear underdog playing an inspired game for THEIR lame duck coach who's getting the ax at the end of the season--the player's "gee, sorry coach" going away present. It happens from time to time. That said, it is indeed pretty gauling for Weis & Co. to lose to a very sub-par 2-8 Syracuse team....but then again soyizgood, while recognizing your distain/dislike for the Big East, Syracuse nevertheless represents yet another Big East Conference team (and in a down year no less) that has walked into South Bend and beaten ND on their own turf this year. I'm wondering what bothered you more: ND losing on its home field or yet another Big East team (again, in a down year) doing the dirty deed? ;-)

But that aside, why the Big East-phobia, generally-speaking? Was it because of nationally ranked Southern Cal getting beaten the other night by Seton Hall, one of the "little" Big East schools.....with a high school name to boot? Ouch! lol. Given that, I'm surprised that you don't "relate" and that you don't at least feel some fraternal empathy with ND fans. ;-) LOL~!

as for the Bruins, they too had to rebound from an upset loss to Michigan and I'm sure they'll win their next hurdle: Florida International. :cool: After that, the Bruins face Univ. of Texas whom I'm sure they'll beat. Hell, Notre Dame (which basketball-wise, IS a Big East team) beat Texas last night....and we know how lousy ND and the Big East is. Enjoy your Big East bashing pal...lol...but the warning signs are out there.......UConn....unranked Syracuse beating ranked Florida & Kansas back-to-back (what "unranked" team is the Pac-10 could you see pulling off that stunt?) .....Pitt....Marquette...G'Town....'Nova....De Paul .....

(read the ESPN tickers when they flash "Top 25" across the screen and quietly call out the conferences each team represents.....ACC, Big East, whatever, Big East, whatever, Big East and so on.... ) Not a flame; I mean I do enjoy you and your posts...but this does call for a razz of sorts....so without further adieu: :razz:

soyizgood
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
^^^ I don't have any disdain for the Big East when it comes to basketball. I actually liked Syracuse, Georgetown, and Seton Hall as a kid. I kind of warmed up to UConn when I flirted with the idea of studying out of state.

Actually, I have more disdain for the ACC. I can't stand Duke or North Carolina. Good thing they are typically the pits in football. There were times I liked Georgia Tech and Wake Forest at bball, but other than that the ACC is overhyped in bball and a joke at football (the WAC, MWC, PAC-10....even the Big East have better quality teams). Adding FSU, Miami, and BC ended up making that conference worse at both football and basketball....LMAO

USC's loss to Oregon State doesn't look so bad now. Florida's loss to Mississippi at home is actually worse.

Still, that East Coast media and F'in BCS will find a way to screw USC. In '03 the BCS ranked OU #1 AFTER losing 35-7 in the Big-12 title game. That despite USC being #1 on BOTH human polls, the BCS kept USC from even playing the title game. The BCS screwed the PAC-10 TWICE this decade from playing in the title game just so they could appease the Big-12 CHUMP (not even conference champ in either case).

UW_Husky88
11-27-2008, 08:30 AM
^^^ I don't have any disdain for the Big East when it comes to basketball. I actually liked Syracuse, Georgetown, and Seton Hall as a kid. I kind of warmed up to UConn when I flirted with the idea of studying out of state.

Actually, I have more disdain for the ACC. I can't stand Duke or North Carolina. Good thing they are typically the pits in football. There were times I liked Georgia Tech and Wake Forest at bball, but other than that the ACC is overhyped in bball and a joke at football (the WAC, MWC, PAC-10....even the Big East have better quality teams). Adding FSU, Miami, and BC ended up making that conference worse at both football and basketball....LMAO

USC's loss to Oregon State doesn't look so bad now. Florida's loss to Mississippi at home is actually worse.

Still, that East Coast media and F'in BCS will find a way to screw USC. In '03 the BCS ranked OU #1 AFTER losing 35-7 in the Big-12 title game. That despite USC being #1 on BOTH human polls, the BCS kept USC from even playing the title game. The BCS screwed the PAC-10 TWICE this decade from playing in the title game just so they could appease the Big-12 CHUMP (not even conference champ in either case).

Umm I'm sorry dude, but you've got it wayyyy twisted. USC is the overhyped team, if you haven't noticed ESPN playing them up as if they're the greatest team ever. They can't even win that garbage of a conference (The PAC-10), and no matter who they lose to, they will not drop out of the top 10. Remember when they lost to Stanford and people called it the greatest upset of all-time? They barely dropped out of the top 10 if that, while Michigan fell off the map when they lost to App State, who is in all honesty probably better than Stanford. And the Big 12 CHUMP? LMAO. More like the PAC-10 Chump. The Big 12 has 3 teams in the top 10 alone, and is making a case for the best conference over the SEC, so how the hell can you call them the CHUMP, while the PAC-10 is so weak that they don't even play a title game?And I'm sorry but USC's loss to Oregon State was as bad as the media made it out to be. Yeah Oregon State is about the win the PAC-10, but winning the PAC-10 is being the tallest midget: it just doesn't matter.

soyizgood
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
^^^ When I talk about the Big-12 chump, I'm referring to the two years that the the Chump (Nebraska and Oklahoma) played in the national title game despite not even playing the big-12 title game (Nebraska) or lost their big-12 game (Oklahoma got whipped and was still ranked #1 in the BCS). Those two chumps cheated Oregon and USC from playing in the title games.

BTW, conferences need 12 teams in order to hold a conference championship. The PAC-10 will not dilute quality of play just to make a few bucks *cough*ACC*cough*. If anything, conference championships often do as much bad for the conference as it does good because of the likelihood of upsets and messing up the bowl picture. It also tends to reward the 3rd best team in the conference over the CC runner-up for bowl choices. At least the PAC-10 everybody plays each other instead of dividing the conferences into divisions and protecting the top teams from playing each other.

The PAC-10 has more NCAA championships than ANY other conference. Our conference does pretty well in bowls, even on down years. USC actually wins BCS bowl games, unlike Chokelahoma or ObyeO St. Heck, we had one year earlier this decade where we had 3 teams finish in the TOP 7 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/polls/2000/ap/) and USC wasn't any of those three. The Big-12 screwed THREE PAC-10 teams from playing in either the BCS title match or a BCS bowl, so as far as I'm concerned the BIG-12 is the PAC-10's enemy. Other than Mack Brown's politicking, Texas is okay with me. I don't care about the rest of that conference that doesn't know how to play ANY defense.

soyizgood
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
So far USC leads ND 21-0
UCLA got stomped 34-9 as ASU scored FOUR defensive TDs
TTU BARELY beat BAYLOR of all teams
ACC conference championship matchup: VT vs BC (yawn...)
Oregon killing Or. St. 37-17 at HALFTIME
OU struggling with Ok St., but still ahead.

So far a good weekend of college football for me.

my_forehand
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh damn...38-3 :S

davidahenry
11-30-2008, 05:46 AM
ND didn't even get a first down until the very end of the thrid quarter. lol They are so sad. I am not an ND fan at all, but Charlie has got to go. If I were an ND alum and financial backer, I would be very vocal about firing him. I know, I know, he has six years or so left in his contact and buying him out would be very expensive but... how much longer can they allow this horrible play continue? And as I heard on tv last night, they play the 105th toughest schedule this year and can only muster a 6-6 season to date. With an easier schedule this year, this was supposed to be the season that would start their turn-around and would allow them to post a better record. I guess not.

Take care.

DH

Joeyg
11-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Nice decision by Fat Charlie to can his offensive co-ordinator and take over the offense himself. He thought they had a few pushovers coming up and he would then claim to be working his "genius" on the program.

I think the time for blood has come!

davidahenry
11-30-2008, 08:54 AM
^^^ Hey Man. I love your location and signature. lol.

Take care.

DH

NickC
11-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Word has it that they're going to be invited to a bowl. How any selection committee came to that decision is beyond me. A team should atleast have a winning record to be considered for ANY bowl.

soyizgood
11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I thought about it. As lousy as ND has been, they could have gone 9-3 (lost to UNC, Pitt, Syracuse at the end). I still would have LMAO'd them even at that record because they get stomped on in big games, but at least that would have been some progress.

Past two years ND has lost to USC by a combined 76-3. And USC turned it over three times, which could have made the score even worse.

soyizgood
11-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Word has it that they're going to be invited to a bowl. How any selection committee came to that decision is beyond me. A team should atleast have a winning record to be considered for ANY bowl.

I'm not sure ND would accept a bowl bid. The school has had an attitude of not accepting bowl bids from non-prestigious (non New Year's Day) bowls. Besides, does ND really want to risk having another losing season? Yeah, that would require Weis to exercise his "brilliance" for another game. I just don't see this as a win-win situation for ND though.

ESPN pointed out that Charlie Weis lost his eighth straight game against a top 25 team (and 10th of last 11) as the Irish extended their worst two-year stretch ever with a 15th loss.

davidahenry
11-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure ND would accept a bowl bid.

I agree.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a bid. They have a huge following which translates into big $$$ - for the network that televises the game and for the town that hosts the game.

They don't deserve a bid, but it is not always about who deserves it.

DH

Dedans Penthouse
11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
They deserve a bid to the Toliet Bowl. And let Charlie "the offensive genius" (offensive indeed!) eat from that trough... :-)

They thought they were going to have Urban Meyer in the fold and when that didn't pan out, they were stuck....still are...

soyizgood
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
They deserve a bid to the Toliet Bowl. And let Charlie "the offensive genius" (offensive indeed!) eat from that trough... :-)

They got the Hawaii Bowl. It's basically a home game for Hawaii, so expect ND to get flushed down the drain. Weis needs surgery on both knees from that one hit he took as well as the hundred of all-he-can-eat joints. Him, Mangino, and Andy Reid know ALL of the good food spots in the country.

Fearsome Forehand
12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
My favorite ND game of all time has to be when they played Miami in 1985. I think the game was in South Bend. It was on national TV. Miami had become a good team around 1981 prior to that they had been absolute doormats for decades. ND had them on the schedule every year and pounded them into the ground annually without a shred of mercy.

Miami ran a pro set offense in 85. Jimmy Johnson was the coach and Vinnie Testaverde was the starting QB. They threw a lot, not like Texas Tech does now, but they relied heavily on their passing game even though they had good backs like Melvin Bratton, Warren Williams and Alonzo Highsmith at the time (All three played in the NFL) But even with a loaded backfield, Miami threw a lot. Michael Ervin was a WR and just about all of the skill players on that squad played in the NFL for years. Testaverde just retired last year.

Miami had one of those rare we can do no wrong days. I don't think they had to punt the entire game, maybe once. They were up about 40 points and continued to throw the ball in the second half. Former ND coach Ara Parsegian and Pat Hayden were calling the game (on ND's payroll?) They started whining like PMS-ing women that Miami was displaying poor sportsmanship by throwing the ball. They went on and on about it. I thought Hayden was going to start crying which is weird because he went to USC.

Now I can tell you ND never showed Miami any mercy when they were good and Miami sucked. They always rolled up the score on Miami. Long story short, this became a minor national outrage with Miami being portrayed in the media as the evil score runner uppers against sacred ND. The final score was 58-7. Not that bad. hell, Texas Christian beat another team by something like 80 points this year and no one said anything about it.

It was sort of funny to observe. Whining like that is rare indeed.

And eventually, ND took Miami off their schedule because it became almost a guaranteed loss every year.

Dedans Penthouse
12-13-2008, 09:48 PM
My favorite ND game of all time has to be when they played Miami in 1985. I think the game was in South Bend. Wrong; Orange Bowl It was on national TV. Miami had become a good team around 1981 prior to that they had been absolute doormats for decades. ND had them on the schedule every year and pounded them into the ground annually without a shred of mercy..Every year? Wrong again.

Miami ran a pro set offense in 85. Jimmy Johnson was the coach and Vinny Testaverde was the starting QB. ("in '85?" Howard Schnellenberger installed it at UM in '79. Yes, Miami ran it in '85....just like, uh, Miami ran a 'pro set' offense in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 and yes, 1985. Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar ring a bell "prior to '85?" They threw a lot, not like Texas Tech does now, but they relied heavily on their passing game even though they had good backs like Melvin Bratton, Warren Williams and Alonzo Highsmith at the time (All three played in the NFL) But even with a loaded backfield, Miami threw a lot. Michael Ervin was a WR and just about all of the skill players on that squad played in the NFL for years. Testaverde just retired last year.

Miami had one of those rare we can do no wrong days. I don't think they had to punt the entire game, maybe once. They were up about 40 points and were continue to throw the ball in the second half. Former ND coach Ara Parsegian and Pat Hayden were calling the game (on ND's payroll?) They started whining like PMS-ing women that Miami was showing poor sportsmanship by throwing the ball. I thought Hayden was going to start crying which is weird because he went to USC.

Now I can tell you ND never showed Miami any mercy when they were good and Miami sucked. They always rolled up the score on Miami. Completely wrong. Long story short, this became a minor national outrage with Miami being portrayed in the media as the evil score runner uppers against sacred ND. The final score was 58-7.

It was sort of funny to observe. Whining like that is rare indeed.

And eventually, ND took Miami off their schedule because it became almost a guaranteed loss every yearWrong again. It had more to do with Miami, (like ND, one of only a few Independents left) joining an athletic conference; in this case the Big East (before they bolted to the ACC) .
No, I don't think you could TELL me anything; certainly not here anyway.

Now, what part of your woefully inaccurate post would you like me to shoot holes in? Your emotions have clearly gotten the better of you pal and your post's "payback is a biatch" contention (i.e. that ND always ran it up vs. the Canes) is complete and utter bullshiate and by extension you have no clue as to what end is up here. If you want to level the charge that ND ran it up against someone, you can look at ND-BC when Holtz coached there; ND faked a punt when already up by a big margin. My brother played that game; he even said that a number of ND players didn't like it themselves. You simply hate ND and want to go to town on them? Fine; knock yourself out for all I care. But please, if you're going to recklessly throw distortions, inaccuracies and "embellishments" around in your apparent haste to engage in a ND rant, at least have the good sense not to do so on the shoulders of the 'Canes if you please.

Oh, and btw, for whatever it's worth, I didn't attend ND; I did however attend the University of Miami.

But if it'll make you feel any better, I'll leave you with this:

Q: How can you tell a person goes to Notre Dame?
A: They'll tell you.

God made Notre Dame #1........Miami made 'em #2.

p.s. there's a UM saying that goes: "It's a 'Cane' thing ... you wouldn't understand." maybe that applies here.

Mike Bulgakov
12-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Oh, and btw, for whatever it's worth, I didn't attend ND; I did however attend the University of Miami.

Hey Dedans, I see that the CAL BEARS are playing the miami hurricanes in the Miss Congeniality Consolation Bowl in San Francisco. Let me know if you want to place a TW bet.

Dedans Penthouse
12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey Dedans, I see that the CAL BEARS are playing the miami hurricanes in the Miss Congeniality Consolation Bowl in San Francisco. Let me know if you want to place a TW bet.Hurricane Warning: Miami's not Stanford; you're going to have to contend with more than their Marching Band! :-)

UM's got a bunch of talented freshman; talented but still, freshman. And this is a home game for Cal. I can see why da' Bears have been installed as 6-point favorites.

....just saw an ESPN promo for this year's (DOG!) Rose Bowl between Penn St (z-z-z) and USC. Why couldn't there be a "sexier" match-up such as USC vs. Texas instead of another ho-hum Big 10 team getting beat by USC who themselves are probably sick and tired of being stuck having to play yet another Rose Bowl. But I digress: that promo showed a snippet of some wriggling-in-unison USC cheerleaders. As much as I'm not a fan of White Bronco U., I've always drooled at their cheerleaders since kindergarden. They were responsible for launching a number of my pre-adolescent, not-to-be-denied little 'pup tents' :-)

Mike Bulgakov
12-14-2008, 12:49 AM
As much as I'm not a fan of White Bronco U., I've always drooled at their cheerleaders since kindergarden.
Did someone say USC cheerleaders? I do not like USC football, but...
http://www.trojanwire.com/images/usc-song-girls.jpg
http://www.trojanwire.com/hot-USC-cheerleaderspcc3.jpg

Fearsome Forehand
12-14-2008, 12:23 PM
QUOTE=Dedans Penthouse;2929705]No, I don't think you could TELL me anything; certainly not here anyway.

Now, what part of your woefully inaccurate post would you like me to shoot holes in? Your emotions have clearly gotten the better of you pal and your post's "payback is a biatch" contention (i.e. that ND always ran it up vs. the Canes) is complete and utter bullshiate and by extension you have no clue as to what end is up here. If you want to level the charge that ND ran it up against someone, you can look at ND-BC when Holtz coached there; ND faked a punt when already up by a big margin. My brother played that game; he even said that a number of ND players didn't like it themselves. You simply hate ND and want to go to town on them? Fine; knock yourself out for all I care. But please, if you're going to recklessly throw distortions, inaccuracies and "embellishments" around in your apparent haste to engage in a ND rant, at least have the good sense not to do so on the shoulders of the 'Canes if you please.

But if it'll make you feel any better, I'll leave you with this:

Q: How can you tell a person goes to Notre Dame?
A: They'll tell you.

God made Notre Dame #1........Miami made 'em #2.

p.s. there's a UM saying that goes: "It's a 'Cane' thing ... you wouldn't understand." maybe that applies here.[/QUOTE]

Hey relax, and no more downing absinthe prior to posting, okay? ;o)

I think your post was a bit over the top relative to mine. But, this is sort of a ranting section, after all. Arguably, I had only one factual error total (regarding SB v OB as location) and I even qualified that statement by writing "I think" because I wasn't certain and didn't believe it was important enough to warrant a fact check. Didn't believe anyone reasonable would care. Then came you. ;o) It was a 50/50 shot even guessing. I guessed wrong. A thousand apologies. I was under the impression I was posting on a very informal message board not composing a doctoral thesis. Geez!

As for the rest of your objections, rolling up the score and annual poundings are subjective terms. When the annual series began in 1971 through 1980 when Miami started to become a good team (thank you, Lou Saban), ND outscored Miami 299-90 and was 10-0 against Miami during that period. As an example, ND had a 44 point margin of victory in 1973 and gave the Canes several other good beatings besides. In stark contrast, from 1981-90, Miami was 7-3 against ND. While one could attribute the end of the series to Miami's entrance into the Big East Conference in 1990, I think you might agree that ND had understandably lost its enthusiasm for playing the Canes on an annual basis since the game became an almost certain loss instead of a certain victory. As an independent, ND had the ability to keep the Canes on their schedule if they had so desired as Miami still had several open dates on their schedule for non-conference games. ND opted not to do so.

Moreover, I never stated Miami didn't run a pro set prior to Coach JJ's arrival. They have been running one version, or another, of a pro set offense since they made Mike Rodrigue a receiver and replaced him with Mad Bomber Kelly at QB in 79 under Former All American Howard Schellenberger (who played at Kentucky under one Paul "Bear" Bryant.) Howard is my absolute fave UM Coach of all time. A great offensive schemer. I wish he had never left Coral Gables. Damn USFL!

The crux of my post was quite simply turn about is fair play and Hayden's and Parsegian's whining seemed out of place given the history of the series.

In closing, and with all due respect, go jump in Lake Osceola and cool off. ;o)

Dedans Penthouse
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
rolling up the score and annual poundings are subjective terms.you call the following ("always") quote subjective?Now I can tell you that ND never showed any mercy when they were good and Miami sucked. They always rolled up the score on Miami. Using your own numbers (ND outscoring UM 299-90), tell me how averaging 29.9 points per game constitues the *cough* subjective assessment of ND always running the score up on UM? As for '73, Alabama also laid the wood on UM 43-13 (ND & 'Bama played for the title that year). ND ran for 448 of their 574 yards that game; it wasn't as if Clements was throwing the ball with the game no longer in doubt. If anything, a case against ND could've been made vs. Army, beating them 62-3, but Army was clocked by Navy that year 51-0 (ouch!) and went 0-11 that year. ND was national champs that year at 11-0 and beat a number of teams by similar scores: Miami 44-0; Northwestern 44-0; Navy 44-7; Air Force 48-15. Doesn't look like they went out of their way to lay the wood on the 'Canes. Those similar scores looked like "business as usual" for what eventually was an undefeated national champion team....hell, I've seen worse. Why just the year before ('72), Miami waxed UNLV 51-7. No big deal; a good team beating a bad team and the score reflecting the relative talent of both teams. Incidents occuring during the course of a game really tell the score. But more to the point, 29.9 points per game average imho does NOT constitute "always running up the score on Miami on an annual basis." I'm simply calling attention to that "stretch." And further, my previous post (and this) was hardly 'rant' in tone; hardly. Who gives a damn anyway? Additionally, I thought the ND jokes contained within would've hinted at that, but apparently not....not to mention indicting Holtz on his fake punt vs. BC (which paid ND back by beating them the following year and knocking them from national champ contention......whatever.... Er, just prior to "the 70's":
1967: Miami 58; Pitt 0
1968: Miami 48; Pitt 0
Nah, the 'Canes never had THAT big of a feces sandwich shoved down their throats by ND.

29.9 point average (per game) constitutes "Halftime" for the Bob Stoops of the world.

The crux of my post was quite simply turn about is fair play and Hayden's and Parsegian's whining seemed out of place given the history of the series.Well, the crux of my post was simply to call attention to the fact that it wasn't "always" .... it really wasn't, well, period. The 70's was simply a period when a good team faced a program that was in disarray particularly once ol' crusty Charlie Tate quit though I think the 'Canes to their credit did hang tough while maintaining a tough schedule, especially under Carl Selmer (even if his 2-year record didn't show it). As for Pat Hayden, Hayden's whining may've seemed strange being that he was a Trojan, but then again, it may also be telling as well. My thinking is that ever if he was turned off by Johnson's absurd FAKE PUNT (while up 44-7 in the 4th Qtr.) it was probably more about him paying lip-service to his broadcasting partner Parsegian. Again, you missed the crux of my post: the contention that it was a set-in-stone practice for ND to ANNUALLY run up the score on UM.

In closing, and with all due respect, go jump in Lake Osceola and cool off. ;o)I dove in once on a dare years back ..... scaddadled my *** outta there and don't care to do it again....gators..crocs... no thanks. I would suggest however that you take a lovely boatride on Osceola; I can book passage for you for the evening before Homecoming if you wish...bring matches...... ;-)

Fearsome Forehand
12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I dove in once on a dare years back ..... scaddadled my *** outta there and don't care to do it again....gators..crocs... no thanks. I would suggest however that you take a lovely boatride on Osceola; I can book passage for you for the evening before Homecoming if you wish...bring matches......

Thanks anyway, I'll pass on the boat ride. A kid drowned attempting to swim across that infamous scum covered, man-made, would be "lake" a few years back. He was taking the ultimate short cut to Eaton Hall, I suppose.

Besides, I read somewhere that they closed down The Rat. So, where would I find adequate inspiration for such an ill conceived boat ride or swim? ;o)

If you are going to make distinctions between a 44-0, a 48-10 and a 48-0 beat down, we're on very different pages. Even if you average out the scores of ND's ten straight wins, which statistically skews the argument in your favor, you are still left with an average margin of victory of three touchdowns per game. Lets' be honest, ND kicked the crap out of Miami for years without apology which is what made the 58-7 1985 game so sweet, at least, for moi.

Always was a bad choice of words on my part. Always is always a bad term to use in any argument. ;o)

Let's just agree to disagree. We can, however, agree about USC's cheerleaders (the female ones anyway.) ;o)

I wish UM had hired Mike Leach when they had the chance. Even, if they still lost, if would have been fun to watch. Perhaps someday, UM will recruit a true passer in the mold of Kelly, Vinnie, Bernie, Dorsey, et al. I'll even settle for another Steve Walsh at this point. Marve and Harris aren't impressing me at all. Either is the offensive coordinator. Very predictable, very boring football.

Dedans Penthouse
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I dove in once on a dare years back ..... scaddadled my *** outta there and don't care to do it again....gators..crocs... no thanks. I would suggest however that you take a lovely boatride on Osceola; I can book passage for you for the evening before Homecoming if you wish...bring matches......

Thanks anyway, I'll pass on the boat ride. A kid drowned attempting to swim across that scum covered, man-made, would be "lake" a few years back. He was taking the ultimate short cut back to Eaton Hall, I suppose.

Besides, I read somewhere that they closed down The Rat. So, where would I find adequate inspiration for such an ill conceived boat ride or swim? ;o)Good news (well good and bad). Until the credit markets improve, they've delayed construction for the SAC (Student Activity Center), which means the 'The Rat' is going to stay opened through the '09 fall. They were originally going to go with putting it where Sbarro's is temporarily, but are staying put. So FF, drink up lagoon Admiral......."all aboard!" :razz:--"hiccup!"
Actually....sigh....to think that once upon a time they served 16-oz. beers for FIFTY CENTS there during Happy Hour...... :sad:

If you are going to make distinctions between a 44-0, a 48-10 and a 48-0 beat down, we're on very different pages. No, no, no FF,...that's just my point; I'm NOT making distinctions between a 44-0, a 48-10 and a 48-0 beat down.....I was trying to illustrate ND didn't make it a point to single out UM; that 44-0 (imo) was simply weekly "business as usual" for an eventual championship team. Heck, 'Bama (#2) waxed the 'Canes as well that year.

Let's just agree to disagree.What is it that we're disagreeing about? All's cool. We're both on the same hurricane page. You're simply suffering from acute notru damus antipathius; a pathology whose symptoms can include temporarily insanity and delusion. Not a problem; we can work through this.. :-)

I wish UM had hired Mike Leach when they had the chance.
The TT guy who looks like an older "Flounder" from the movie "Animal House" would've definitely brought back "QB U" to "Greentree" (practice field).

I'm still not happy with Shalalalalala not inking a deal that would've kept the UM-OB intact. Joe Robbie or Dolphin "seats-too-far-away" Whatever Stadium is a 7-iron from the Broward County boarder (even north of Miami Norland "Vikings" H.S. territory). Way too much history in the OB to have placed it at the mercy/whims of her, the Marlins et al (or whoever is really responsible for letting that fall through the cracks)....jmho... regards

soyizgood
12-25-2008, 12:20 AM
ND 49
Hawaii 21

Rumor is Notre Dame is looking to schedule Hawaii on a regular basis. They'd be willing to do a home-and-home just to toughen up their schedule. Clausen actually looked like an All-American during the 1st half. This assumes they are willing to drop a team like Washington or San Diego St. from the schedule. LOL

Weis and ND win A bowl. ND finishes 7-6. Peace may be restored to South Bend, at least until September.

J-man
12-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Only saw the first half and Clausen looked good, the offense looked good.

bluetrain4
12-25-2008, 04:57 PM
As a Notre Dame hater, I've loved their recent downfall.

But, in all honesty, I don't want it to continue. As a USC fan, Notre Dame being slightly "down" is OK, but ND being pathetically weak, does USC no good in terms of contending for national titles. After the loss to Oregon St, USC never got back into national title discussions, and rightfully so. No Pac-10 team stepped up as to give USC a great-looking conference win. And, ND did not provide a national stage, national caliber win late in the season as in years past. USC needs ND to at least be "good" if not great.

The only thing I hate about ND fans is how delusional and entitled they are. They act as if being invited to top bowls and contending for national championships is their birth right.

Without a doubt I expect ND to be a field top teams again. They have the tradition and, mainly, they have the resources. But, I do not expect them to be fielding top 5 teams year after year after year as in decades past. They'll have their Top 5 years, and also have to contend with blase top 20 years, and "down" years where they are 6-6 and unranked. I agree with ND fans that they will return to the top, intermittently, but I don't think they will do it as consistently as prior eras. College football has changed too much, and the talent level is SO much deeper.

I laugh at those who think ND football is dead. Lots of top programs go through bad streaks where they are good to awful. Look at USC before Pete Carroll arrived. A very good year here or there, but basically years of mediocrity. Texas was still a very good program during their 20-year national title drought, but the fact remains, they went a long time without winning the big one. ND is no different.

soyizgood
12-26-2008, 05:36 PM
^^^^ Texas went almost 40 years between titles. And even then they still beat Oklahoma plenty of times.

ND is going through the same mess Florida St., Nebraska, Miami, in that reduced scholarships spread out the talent. That and many top programs had former assistants that went elsewhere to start up programs that are now better coached and equipped to compete. Some schools like Syracuse and Washington have not been able to adjust while others like BYU, Utah, Boise St., TCU, Texas Tech have benefited.

ND also has a similar problem as Michigan. Both schools have traditionally been run-oriented. With the advent of the spread offense (and other gimmicky, pass-happy ones), you see athletes, esp. WRs and TEs, eager to play for those schools. It will take a few years before they can recruit higher caliber offense players. Until then, USC, the SEC, Big-12 are going to get first dibs.

soyizgood
12-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Florida St. 42
Wisconsin 13

Wisconsin is a CHUMP. ND better keep track of bowls to determine their schedule. LOL

bluetrain4
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd also say that even though ND has a HUGE tradition and a fiercely loyal, international fanbase, has been a traditionally attractive school to top recruits, and is, in popular culture, an inconic football school, it is a long way removed from time when it was truly the elite college football program.

There is an entire generation of athletes for whom which ND is just another school, as odd as that may seem to many fans. Yeah an offer from ND is nice, but unlike in generations past, a lot of players won't see it as any better (or even not as good) as offers from other elite football programs. Obviously, if the player is devout Catholic, grew up in an ND household, etc., the offer has more meaning, but for many (not all) of today's players with no connection to the school, ND has no special place, no matter what all the college football talking heads and historians blab on and on about.

The notion that ND "is college football" is outdated as many other schools caught up and talent has deepended. There are lots of great places to play football, and there are even mundane reasons not to go to ND - weather, the boring-nature of South Bend, strict academic requirements (as unfortunate as that may sound).

As I posted previously, I fully expect ND to rise to elite status again, now and then, but I don't see a sustained rise where they are in the national title picture (or even the major bowl picture) as much as in previous generations -- for all the reasons just stated.

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Notre Dame BLANKED at halftime by Navy.

Halftime
Navy 14
ND 0

goober
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Hmm well Navy did better than USC at the half against ND :lol:

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Clausen tried to run for the TD..... got popped, fumbled, and got KTFO.

End of 3.
Navy 21
ND 7

Navy recovers the ball at their 1YD line.

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Navy had the ball at their 1YD line. The Navy FB funs for 39 yards. Oh well...

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Navy leads 23-14 after getting the safety. Uh-oh.... Looks like Navy will win for the 2nd time in the last 3 meetings, including two in a row AT ND. Oh boy....

23-21 Navy with 20 sec 24 sec. ND recovered the last onside kick. Another onside kick coming up....

Navy recovers the onside kick. One knee down and another dark day for ND.....

Navy bowl eligible for their 7th straight year. GG guys.

CCNM
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Notre Dame is winless too? ha ha ha ha ha!!!! My grandpa was an Irish fan and I went to Catholic school (where everyone loved ND) But then again my University of New Mexico Lobos are winless as well...

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Notre Dame is winless too? ha ha ha ha ha!!!! My grandpa was an Irish fan and I went to Catholic school (where everyone loved ND) But then again my University of New Mexico Lobos are winless as well...

ND was hoping to be BCS eligible, but this loss basically eliminates them. They'll be lucky to stay in the top 25.

allez_mike
11-07-2009, 04:41 PM
ND was hoping to be BCS eligible, but this loss basically eliminates them. They'll be lucky to stay in the top 25.

Are you kidding? There's absolutely NO CHANCE that ND will be in the top 25 after this dismal loss... credit to Navy for not giving up though

soyizgood
11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Navy never trailed, but they sure got lucky a few times

ND missed 2 FGs
ND couldn't convert a 4th and goal
Clausen fumbled at the Navy 1yd line
Clausen threw an INT near the Navy 5yd line because his receiver wasn't even looking for the ball

Not your daddy's Notre Dame, I'll say...

CCNM
11-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Is this the first time the Irish won't be bowl-eligible? If so-ha ha ha ha :twisted:

soyizgood
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Is this the first time the Irish won't be bowl-eligible? If so-ha ha ha ha :twisted:

No, Notre Dame's easy schedule has afforded them enough wins to be bowl eligible. Two years ago they went 2-9 or was it 3-8? They missed a bowl under Willingham and under Davies as well.

soyizgood
11-21-2009, 03:09 PM
UConn 33
ND 30

2nd straight year losing on Senior Day. UConn just kept running the ball down ND's throat.

soyizgood
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Clausen got sucker punched?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4685673
Athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Clausen was the "victim of a sucker punch" in an incident Saturday night at a South Bend-area pub after the Fighting Irish lost to Connecticut in double overtime. Swarbrick made the comments during a taping of his show for WLS Radio 890 in Chicago, which normally airs on Saturday.

Dedans Penthouse
11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
11/08/09 (posted by you)....11/21/09 (posted by you).....11/25/09 (posted by you)...

Whadda think soyz?...maybe somebody's (not) trying to tell you something?..... ;-)

kevsaenz
11-25-2009, 07:25 PM
real men of genius song to the Irish fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

jamesblakefan#1
11-25-2009, 07:38 PM
ND sucks b/c

a)No one wants to play for Weis. He's just a bad leader, as his little childish press conference stunt yesterday showed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hS-4VXquY

b)Kids don't want to play in South Bend, Indiana, when they can go to Southern Cal, Florida, or heck even Texas to play. The cache of the Notre Dame TV contract isn't enough to persuade kids to come there when the Internet and ESPN gives pretty much any kid with enough talent all the exposure they need to make it to the pros.

c) Most HS kids probably don't even remember the last time ND won a Nat'l Championship. This whole thing about Notre Dame being THE College Football school is irrelevant when no who you are recruiting remembers ND winning championships. Heck who's the last great player ND had? Quinn? He stinks...Julius Jones? He's OK, but was he even at ND for that long? The cache of the ND name is pretty non-existent now. Heck before last year they hadn't won a bowl game in like 10+ years.
Schools like Miami, FSU, etc may be down, but they still have good recruiting area and recent success relatively speaking to fall back on. ND doesn't have that at all. Indiana isn't a recruiting hotbed, and most kids in the Mid West (got censored somehow?) go to OSU or some other Big Ten school over ND.

This is why its going to be tough for Notre Dame to compete talentwise, no matter who the coach is. I hear Cowher's name being floated. If that happened, it would be the only thing to possibly bring in recruits. The name Notre Dame isn't enough anymore to bring in the top level recruits you need to win at the highest level of CFB.

soyizgood
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
real men of genius song to the Irish fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

OMFG I can't believe I never saw that one. I LMAO at that one and fave'd it too. If someone can make that for UCLA football I'd likely spit my drink out my nose.

soyizgood
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
ND sucks b/c

a)No one wants to play for Weis. He's just a bad leader, as his little childish press conference stunt yesterday showed.

b)Kids don't want to play in South Bend, Indiana, when they can go to Southern Cal, Florida, or heck even Texas to play. The cache of the Notre Dame TV contract isn't enough to persuade kids to come there when the Internet and ESPN gives pretty much any kid with enough talent all the exposure they need to make it to the pros.

c) Most HS kids probably don't even remember the last time ND won a Nat'l Championship. This whole thing about Notre Dame being THE College Football school is irrelevant when no who you are recruiting remembers ND winning championships. Heck who's the last great player ND had? Quinn? He stinks...Julius Jones? He's OK, but was he even at ND for that long? The cache of the ND name is pretty non-existent now. Heck before last year they hadn't won a bowl game in like 10+ years.
Schools like Miami, FSU, etc may be down, but they still have good recruiting area and recent success relatively speaking to fall back on. ND doesn't have that at all. Indiana isn't a recruiting hotbed, and most kids in the Mid West (got censored somehow?) go to OSU or some other Big Ten school over ND.

This is why its going to be tough for Notre Dame to compete talentwise, no matter who the coach is. I hear Cowher's name being floated. If that happened, it would be the only thing to possibly bring in recruits. The name Notre Dame isn't enough anymore to bring in the top level recruits you need to win at the highest level of CFB.

ND had problems before Weis came aboard. Davies had so-so years and so did Willingham. Even Holtz was feeling wore down by expectations. I agree with your assessment though.

ND alumni and boosters have lost touch with reality. They act like being in the top 5 is their God-given right. This program kept relying on running even when other programs went to the air and diversified their offense. On defense, ND's has been TERRIBLE over the years at stopping the run and dealing with spread offenses. When recruits think of ND offense, high-octane/high-scoring/intimidating/awesome does not come to mind. So good luck attracting quality star offensive players while pray-to-the-heavens in attracting high-caliber defensive players. The only pro bowlers ND has produced that currently play in the NFL are on special teams.... and Justin Tuck. That's it...

It's a more level playing field now with the reduced scholarships. Now I commend ND for emphasizing academics in selecting recruits and for pushing them to graduate. That said, getting smart players should actually be a benefit for success.

It's not the players that have really let the team down the past 3 years. I really put that blame on the coaching. Weis acts like he's some divine saint, yet he's been exposed for his bad decisions during games and for failing to capitalize on opportunities. Losses to Pitt/Syracuse/Navy/North Carolina/UConn came partially from underestimating the opponent, relying on talent solely to prevail, failure to adjust the defense when his team got exposed, and failure to rally the team and give them the belief they can win. He is clueless when things don't go according to plan.

ND is stuck in neutral regardless who coaches. At this rate, NBC will think long and hard if they want to renew their contract. If NBC does not renew, then ND may have little choice but to join a conference.

BigServer1
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Notre Dame HAS to drop their academic standards if they want to compete on a national level. Players at the skill positions on offense are often bright guys, which is why we're seeing solid QBs, a decent offensive line and some game breaking WRs, but they're getting killed on defense, which is where you find some of the "duller" kids coming out of HS.

It will never happen for them unless they make a change. Bill Cower could coach this team, and with this talent on defense, they'll STILL give up 30 a game. You have to scheme for the players you've got, and slow, small defenders won't get it done against the ever emerging spread offense and the national power programs implementing it.

I totally agree that the fanbase has completely lost touch with reality, and they need to know that they are no longer a top 25 program, and they won't be until they log some wins against top 25 opponents. I also agree that a lot of that has to do with coaching, but I think that ND will always lose to the top teams, but schedule enough cupcake games to post 9 wins, and for ND, 9 wins is a near automatic BCS berth.

If I'm ND, I go after a high profile NFL coach, or a big time college winner, and I lower academic standards a bit to allow some better defensive players into the program. From there it's up to the coaches and the players to put together a team that can actually win the games they're supposed to win and compete against some of the top teams in the country (which means actually scheduling some outside of SC). If they can do that, they might be on the right track, but I think people are crazy if they think this is a team that will compete year in and year out for NCs. Those days are LONG gone.

dParis
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM
ND sucks b/c

I may be wrong since I don't follow Coll. Football closely, but doesn't ND consistently fetch a top 10 (at least) recruiting class even now?

jamesblakefan#1
11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I may be wrong since I don't follow Coll. Football closely, but doesn't ND consistently fetch a top 10 (at least) recruiting class even now?

These are the classes under Ty Willingham:

2002: 13
2003: 5
2004: 30
2005: 27

Weis was hired in 2005. 2006 was his first recruiting class.

2006: 5
2007: 11 (year they signed Claussen)
2008: 2
2009: 23
2010: 11

So they are still top 10-top 20 recruiting wise, with the occasional jump into the top 5.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

My point is, they aren't able to cherry pick talent the way they were back in the days of Holtz. Of course this could all change if like I mentioned, they get an elite coach in there with the name recognition, like a Meyer, Cowher, etc.

dParis
11-26-2009, 12:06 AM
These are the classes under Ty Willingham:

2002: 13
2003: 5
2004: 30
2005: 27

Weis was hired in 2005. 2006 was his first recruiting class.

2006: 5
2009: 23
2010: 11

So they are still top 10-top 20 recruiting wise, with the occasional jump into the top 5.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

My point is, they aren't able to cherry pick talent the way they were back in the days of Holtz. Of course this could all change if like I mentioned, they get an elite coach in there with the name recognition, like a Meyer, Cowher, etc.
No, not as good as I had thought. Thanks for posting the info , JBF1.

soyizgood
11-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Stanford 45
Notre Dame 38

ND finishes 6-6. Another close loss for the Fighting Irish. Will ND bother to play another crappy bowl game with Weis at the helm? Will they stay the course with Weis or cut and run? Stay tuned...

BigServer1
11-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Stanford 45
Notre Dame 38

ND finishes 6-6. Another close loss for the Fighting Irish. Will ND bother to play another crappy bowl game with Weis at the helm? Will they stay the course with Weis or cut and run? Stay tuned...

It's funny...Any other team that loses four straight to finish 6-6 would probably get passed over for a bowl game, but ND will be getting an invite...GMAC bowl is my best guess, and that is a winnable bowl situation for ND. Weis should stay through the bowl game no doubt. If he's gone, a lot of those kids won't get up for that game. I would personally find it pretty funny if Weis won two straight bowl games and still gets canned.

He's gone no doubt, and ND fans should be prepared for a bad season next year and the fact that Clausen will be gone as well and that a big name coach won't be attainable. This job will be a tough sell for an incoming coach.

soyizgood
11-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Clausen's a goner. If his team had a decent defense, he'd actually be a Heisman candidate with the numbers he put up.

Tate is still a bit raw, but I'm sure a team will take a chance with him in the 1st round assuming he does well at the combine.

Weis, or whoever the next coach will be, is likely to have an even rougher year in 2010.

soyizgood
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fbc_notre_dame_weis_fired;_ylt=AuzvDE5cmOo_K.YWeX8 VCBSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2ZnFncGcyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDk xMTMwL2ZiY19ub3RyZV9kYW1lX3dlaXNfZmlyZWQEY3BvcwMxM ARwb3MDNwRzZWMDeW5***VhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXBzb3V yY2Vub3Ry

The Weis era is over.

BigServer1
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fbc_notre_dame_weis_fired;_ylt=AuzvDE5cmOo_K.YWeX8 VCBSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2ZnFncGcyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDk xMTMwL2ZiY19ub3RyZV9kYW1lX3dlaXNfZmlyZWQEY3BvcwMxM ARwb3MDNwRzZWMDeW5***VhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXBzb3V yY2Vub3Ry

The Weis era is over.

Hahaha I was just about to post this...

goober
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Don't feel sorry for Weis. He made out like a bandit. Only in big time college football could you have the a below average coach make $36 million. Nice work if you can get it.

soyizgood
11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a feeling ND will have a terrible season in 2010. Their best offensive players will have left (Clausen and Tate), they have no real talent ready to play, recruits are going to turn their nose at Notre Dame unless they get a name brand coach, and who in their right mind would want to coach there?

Seriously, ND's administration is way over their heads. They haven't been the Mecca of college football in a LONG time. Empires rise and fall (i.e. Nebraska, Miami, Florida St., Alabama, USC) and sometimes rise again. But this is a very competitive environment now. Notre Dame's unrealistic expectations and their shoddy product is not going to be pulling in the best of the best anytime soon.

BigServer1
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a feeling ND will have a terrible season in 2010. Their best offensive players will have left (Clausen and Tate), they have no real talent ready to play, recruits are going to turn their nose at Notre Dame unless they get a name brand coach, and who in their right mind would want to coach there?

Seriously, ND's administration is way over their heads. They haven't been the Mecca of college football in a LONG time. Empires rise and fall (i.e. Nebraska, Miami, Florida St., Alabama, USC) and sometimes rise again. But this is a very competitive environment now. Notre Dame's unrealistic expectations and their shoddy product is not going to be pulling in the best of the best anytime soon.

I think ND will be lucky to win 5 games next year, regardless of the coach. Clausen and Tate are the only reasons they won 6 games this year.

ND alumni/fanbase/front office have a skewed view of their program. They're never going to be a perennial NC contender unless they seriously change the focus of their program away from academics and graduation rate. Even then it will be a tough sell over UF, USC, UT etc. I'm glad though, because I'm really tired of seeing overrated 9-3 ND teams getting BCS berths and getting clobbered in those games.

ND needs to nut up and join a conference. NBC should pull the deal and force them into it. At the moment NBC is throwing their money away, and if ND joined a conference they would actually have a legit claim to a BCS game by not playing teams like UConn, Navy, Air Force and Syracuse and calling it a "schedule".

Kevin T
12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I think ND will be lucky to win 5 games next year, regardless of the coach. Clausen and Tate are the only reasons they won 6 games this year.

ND alumni/fanbase/front office have a skewed view of their program. They're never going to be a perennial NC contender unless they seriously change the focus of their program away from academics and graduation rate. Even then it will be a tough sell over UF, USC, UT etc. I'm glad though, because I'm really tired of seeing overrated 9-3 ND teams getting BCS berths and getting clobbered in those games.

ND needs to nut up and join a conference. NBC should pull the deal and force them into it. At the moment NBC is throwing their money away, and if ND joined a conference they would actually have a legit claim to a BCS game by not playing teams like UConn, Navy, Air Force and Syracuse and calling it a "schedule".

Agreed. They need to get used to being 2nd level, a la the Kansas States/Michigan States/Clemsons of the football world. Why would a blue chip recruit, who let's be honest, knows it's NFL or a degree by the skin of their teeth, choose to go to cold, stodgy South Bend? Their competition is South Beach Miami, Florida, LA, Texas, insert your warm/good weather/hip/fun city/college town here with easier academic standards, more and better social outlets and much, much hotter women. :) Unless you're a devout Catholic or born in Indiana, what's the point? ND and their fans have this weird, convoluted view of the program. Cowherd made a good point on ESPN radio this morning, mentioning how the AD was talking about returning to the glory days of Rockney, Parseghian and Holtz. Huh?! ND is lucky if kids these days even know the name Holtz and that's only because he's an ESPN talking head. Boy does ND need the luck of the Irish.

soyizgood
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
So no bowl for ND?? I knew they would not want to settle for anything less than a New Year's Day bowl. I guess that made Clausen's and Tate's decision to go pro real easy.

soyizgood
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fbc_t25_notre_dame_kelly;_ylt=ArlGwHOj__0rKDuPOIYH V0Ks0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNzdjEwaGhsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkx MjEwL2ZiY190MjVfbm90cmVfZGFtZV9rZWxseQRjY29kZQNtb3 N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzkEcG9zAzYEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNl YwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNjaW5jaW5uYXRpc2s-

So ND lands Brian Kelly as the new coach. Good luck, Kelly. You had no pressure on you with Cincy, but those ND alumni will chew you up when they aren't in the top 10. I wonder if Kelly's getting Weis' annual salary. Double whammy for the university.

Dedans Penthouse
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM
So ND lands Brian Kelly as the new coach. Good luck, Kelly. You had no pressure on you with Cincy, but those ND alumni will chew you up when they aren't in the top 10. I wonder if Kelly's getting Weis' annual salary. Double whammy for the university.
And USC in turn LANDS---"splat!"--- in hot water! :razz:

Check that--new thread title in order: LMAO @USC!

Keeping this in the realm of good-natured ribbing (vs. the put-down tone of this thread in essence), I'm *chucking* goin' to town with this one. Hold onto your hat amigo-the worm has turned-lol.

Jeez, first the basketball program (gee, J. Mayo sure reeked of "Haarvaard-college" material) and S.C. reeked of "at all costs" in securing the 'ultimate team player' for his 15 minutes of fame in Trojanville before bolting for greener pastures.

And now the vaunted football program. LMAO @ ND rings quite true:
They are Laughing Their Arses Off AT Notre Dame. I can just hear "the echos" as I type this. (smirk).

I've no real dog in this fight (Go 'Canes), but what with the overboard hater "piling on" in this thread, it deserved a bump given REALITY has now bit USC square in the ***--and hard. And now the chickens have come home to roost. Or since we're talkin' and squakin' Trojans... maybe rubber chickens? :-) :razz:

jamesblakefan#1
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
USC had it coming. It's sad the current players have to suffer though, meanwhile Carroll gets out of dodge to the NFL and Bush is still hanging with a Kardashian...:)

Dedans Penthouse
06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
USC had it coming. It's sad the current players have to suffer though, meanwhile Carroll gets out of dodge to the NFL and Bush is still hanging with a Kardashian...:)
^^^^^^^
Absolutely, along with the former USC players many of whom didn't get the chance to go on to the NFL--guys whose football careers ended at USC. Your heart has to go out to the USC players who gave their heart & soul for the program and whose efforts (such as 2004 wins & their 2005 National Championship clinching Orange Bowl romp over Oklahoma) are to be wiped from the books because of the selfishness of ONE guy: Reggie Bush who appears to be one sorry piece of trash---linked to another piece of trash, Kim Kar*****ian.

Think about how HUGE these sanctions will impact on USC's previous records as well as their current program--if you were a Trojan player how could you not help but be seething at Bush, Bush's apologists (e.g. Keyshawn Johnson-typical) notwithstanding?

And yes, Pete Carroll's exodus does look more greasy in the face of this mess. Incoming coach Lane Kiffen supposedly was the target of innuendo and assorted rumors from some quarters in Knoxville, TN about allegedly unsavory doings, but that may just be some "jilted lover" resentment from Vols fans ****ed at Kiffen bolting Tennessee for USC so quickly.

maverick66
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Kiffen was on the USC staff when all this occured so maybe he just learned how things work at USC and Tennessee didnt like doing things that way.

With that being said USC is getting what they deserved. They have been the cockiest school ever. Maybe even worse than the Miami teams that were cheating as well. Calling yourself a national champion when you didnt even play in the game was one of the dumbest things ever. They just had to cry and whine until they got their way. Then we find out they were cheating anyways so what the hell.

Odd thing about this is they sited a female tennis player as a problem in the report. What kind of school is so bad that the female tennis team is dirty?

TheSubdude
06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Tennessee has a right to be angry with Kiffen, but he and Odgeron were both at USC when all this was going on so there is at least some justice that they are both back as coaches when the hammer falls.

Dedans Penthouse
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Odd thing about this is they sited a female tennis player as a problem in the report. What kind of school is so bad that the female tennis team is dirty?The female tennis team is "dirty?"

Sweet.

Maybe I was being too harsh on S.C.

"Well you're DIRTY, SWEET & yo' my girl...."
Bang-a-gong...get it on...."

Kevin T
06-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Kiffen was on the USC staff when all this occured so maybe he just learned how things work at USC and Tennessee didnt like doing things that way.

With that being said USC is getting what they deserved. They have been the cockiest school ever. Maybe even worse than the Miami teams that were cheating as well. Calling yourself a national champion when you didnt even play in the game was one of the dumbest things ever. They just had to cry and whine until they got their way. Then we find out they were cheating anyways so what the hell.

Odd thing about this is they sited a female tennis player as a problem in the report. What kind of school is so bad that the female tennis team is dirty?

Was thinking the same thing, Mav. Women's tennis? When you cheat on the non-revenue sports, you're really, really cheating. Or as they say down South/in NASCAR...."There's cheatin' and well...then, there's CHEATIN'". It's sweet, sweet justice for me. Being a southerner and SEC school grad living in Cali for the last 6 years, I've gotten an earful about "the cheating SEC", "they only care about winning, not academics", blah, blah, blah. ESPN was commenting that the only other recent comparable punishment was with Dedan's Miami 'Canes after their 10 year long 10 game/season winning streak and 4 national titles. And we all know what that did to Miami. This is just what Tricky Ricky at UCLA needs...a chance to bring the Bruins back to football prominence.

soyizgood
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Was thinking the same thing, Mav. Women's tennis? When you cheat on the non-revenue sports, you're really, really cheating. Or as they say down South/in NASCAR...."There's cheatin' and well...then, there's CHEATIN'". It's sweet, sweet justice for me. Being a southerner and SEC school grad living in Cali for the last 6 years, I've gotten an earful about "the cheating SEC", "they only care about winning, not academics", blah, blah, blah. ESPN was commenting that the only other recent comparable punishment was with Dedan's Miami 'Canes after their 10 year long 10 game/season winning streak and 4 national titles. And we all know what that did to Miami. This is just what Tricky Ricky at UCLA needs...a chance to bring the Bruins back to football prominence.

UCLA sucks at football. They have a cheater for a coach as well (look at what he did to Colorado and Washington). If anything, this leaves the PAC-10 for Oregon and Oregon St. to run the show.

Kevin T
06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
UCLA sucks at football. They have a cheater for a coach as well (look at what he did to Colorado and Washington). If anything, this leaves the PAC-10 for Oregon and Oregon St. to run the show.

So? USC has had multiple "cheater" coaches, apparently including 3 at the same time. In case you're too young to remember, UCLA has a long football tradition, even though they've been bad the last 10-15 years (exactly the kind of streak USC may have coming). UCLA has won at least 5 Rose Bowls, including 3 in the 80's and I know they went to at least 2 Rose Bowls in the 90's. There's no reason they can't steal some of the Trojan's thunder and recruiting base. It's a better school in a nicer part of town. Why not? If Texas and Oklahoma make the jump, they'll dominate the PAC 10. It seems Oregon keeps recruiting hoodlems.

maverick66
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM

Maybe you havnt been paying attention but with the 3 Texas schools and the two Oklahoma ones coming in the Pac 10 will be dominated by the old Big 12 schools. On a positive we finally get to see how good the Pac 10 schools really are seems their conference is would be on the level with the SEC.

Dedans Penthouse
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
So? USC has had multiple "cheater" coaches, apparently including 3 at the same time. In case you're too young to remember, UCLA has a long football tradition, even though they've been bad the last 10-15 years (exactly the kind of streak USC may have coming). UCLA has won at least 5 Rose Bowls, including 3 in the 80's and I know they went to at least 2 Rose Bowls in the 90's. There's no reason they can't steal some of the Trojan's thunder and recruiting base. It's a better school in a nicer part of town. Why not? If Texas and Oklahoma make the jump, they'll dominate the PAC 10. It seems Oregon keeps recruiting hoodlems.
^^^^^^^
Good post (btw, Gary Beban anyone?). UCLA has been ranked in the AP Top 10 at least once every decade since they ranked 'em starting in the 30's and I think under Terry Donohue they won a record (8?) straight bowl games (I think B.C. came close to tying it).

That said, soyezgood, I think UCLA needed to heed the "buyer beware" caveat when recruiting coaches from Colorado if recent history is any indicator. Recall (from memory) coach Bill McCartney's daughter getting knocked up by Sal Cassera the QB (unfortunately got the big "C"). But more to the point, the Buffs were known as having a huge rap sheet (police) record. Then Rick Neu came in, more questions, then Gary Barnett from Northwestern who turned out to be a total dirtbag (laughed off the female placekicker's r@pe allegation---this in the midst of sex/booze recruiting scandals left and right).

As for the Ducks and Beavers owning the Pac 10, I think Washington might have something to say. Oregon's bounced their QB off the team. As for Oregon State, yeah they'll definitely be in the mix. That said, during Dennis Ericsson's at Oregon St., the Beavers were a lo-rent act (their thug-wannabe performance vs. ND was down on a par with Tech Tech's gross "machine gun" endzone display vs. the Naval Academy and yes, Miami's clown act vs. Texas). Forget Jimmy Johnson, it was when Ericsson was at Miami that the Cane's program totally went Sleezeville.

Sidebar: Kevin T, as a former Wildcat, what's the "411" on "The Terminator" John Connor (UK FB drafted by NYJ)? I saw tape of him plastering Norwood (So. Carolina)--guy appears to hit like a tank and a nice late-round pickup for a Rex Ryan ("ground & pound") type offense. Jet loons on www.theganggreen.com seemed to be pretty amped about the kid:
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=56218

Kevin T
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
[Sidebar: Kevin T, as a former Wildcat, what's the "411" on "The Terminator" John Connor (UK FB drafted by NYJ)? I saw tape of him plastering Norwood (So. Carolina)--guy appears to hit like a tank and a nice late-round pickup for a Rex Ryan ("ground & pound") type offense. Jet loons on www.theganggreen.com seemed to be pretty amped about the kid:
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=56218[/QUOTE]

People at UK love him, DP. I believe he was a walk-on and what you would hear the UK announcers say all season was how hard he works and how all his teammates loved and respected him. He's a fullback in the purest sense. He can catch but don't expect twinkle toes or breakaway speed. What he will do, and do well is:

1. Protect the QB and RB
2. Crush any tackler that gets in the way
3. Never avoid the hole; he's running straight through it, no matter what
4. TD-maker-great short yardage and goal line guy
5. will not fumble

The Jets got a good one with The Terminator. By the way he went to Lakota West HS in the Cincy area-tons of good college players from that area.

soyizgood
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
A PAC-16 idea is stupid when you consider the current BCS bowl stipulations. No BCS conference can have more than 2 teams in BCS bowls. There isn't enough BCS slots for Texas, Chokelahoma, USC, Oregon, Cal (if they EVER got it together), Oregon St.

UCLA hasn't been relevant in quite sometime. They CHOKED a chance to play in a BCS title game when they lost to Miami led by Edgerrin James running all over them. Okay so they won the Sun Bowl a few years ago. In the end, UCLA only cares for basketball. If they do anything in football it's a bonus. And even dumb recruits know that's UCLA's MO.

Logically Texas and Oklahoma would be better off keeping the Big-12 together in some form so that they have an easier time getting those spots.

jamesblakefan#1
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
My guess is all that BCS stuff is going to change if these power conferences come to fruition - the Big 12 exodus to Pac 10, talk of the SEC adding Miami and FSU, Big Ten expansion, Big East may soon go the way of the Big 12. That probably will change everything as far as the BCS is concerned.

It's whatever though. Most CFB fans are annoying, and the BCS is the biggest load of crap in sports. Until there's a playoff system, I won't ever be able to look at CFB as more than one giant money grab by the NCAAs and college presidents. This conference expansion just goes further to prove that.

soyizgood
06-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Back to Notre Dame, anyone know when their contract with NBC ends? And who in their right mind allowed Notre Dame to collect a piece of the BCS bowl money even if they don't make one of those games?

jamesblakefan#1
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Don't know, don't care.

Just noticed this though - Larry Scott, commissioner of the Pac 10 which is now killing the Big 12 piece by piece - used to be head of the WTA. :lol:

Dedans Penthouse
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
[Sidebar: Kevin T, as a former Wildcat, what's the "411" on "The Terminator" John Connor (UK FB drafted by NYJ)? I saw tape of him plastering Norwood (So. Carolina)--guy appears to hit like a tank and a nice late-round pickup for a Rex Ryan ("ground & pound") type offense. Jet loons on www.theganggreen.com seemed to be pretty amped about the kid:
http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=56218

People at UK love him, DP. I believe he was a walk-on and what you would hear the UK announcers say all season was how hard he works and how all his teammates loved and respected him. He's a fullback in the purest sense. He can catch but don't expect twinkle toes or breakaway speed. What he will do, and do well is:

1. Protect the QB and RB
2. Crush any tackler that gets in the way
3. Never avoid the hole; he's running straight through it, no matter what
4. TD-maker-great short yardage and goal line guy
5. will not fumble

The Jets got a good one with The Terminator. By the way he went to Lakota West HS in the Cincy area-tons of good college players from that area.
Thanks KT, that pretty much sums up what the "gang green" message boards have been saying about this kid...solid, would "want him in a fox hole with you" type of guy.

I put those "NYJ" links in my previous posts because I (recently) found out that that particular NYJ link has a very "draft savvy" (all-year-round) group of quite knowledeable fans who are beyond the rank-and-file home team ilk----these Jet Yanks know their football (ain't regional/provincial) challenged. Some are Joe 6-pack yahoos, but many of the posters DO know their stuff...one of the more 'active' NFL-team-based-sites (particularly, in the "DRAFT" section).

That said, what's not to like about "The Terminator's" (great "team-given" moniker) BLAST moxie. I'm thinking, special teams contributor followed by a FB roll when Richardson retires in a year or two at best. Thx again for the comments.

Birmingham, AL papers called him the best blocking back in the S.E.C.

Conner seems a perfect fit in a gound-and-pound type offense, especially when the game's on the line: recall the Jets making the decision to go for it on 4th-and-1 in the waning momentys of last year's playoff game at San Diego.....move the chains, the game's over, don't make the 1st down, the Chargers get the ball with a chance to win.......Jets: "we're running THERE" .... Chargers know it, the San Diego stadium knows it..... smash-mouth 3 yard gain--game over.

I like that tank.

soyizgood
09-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I love how ESPN was hyping the ND-Michigan game as a step in the right direction for whomever wins. LOL. Even on its home turf, ND fell 28-24. New coach, same old stuff.

El Diablo
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
And this actually matters to you because......

soyizgood
09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
And this actually matters to you because......

Why does it matter if Federer wins or loses? :rolleyes: Some *******s act like they are on Federer's PR payroll...

I've explained my thoughts on ND waaaaaay back in this thread.

They shove their tradition and righteousness down everybody's throats
ND fans act as if a New Year's Day bowl is their birthright
ND gets BCS bowl money even if they don't make one of those bowls
They fired Willingham yet put up with Weis who did worse (lost to Navy TWICE, Syracuse, UConn, UNC, b-slapped by USC, etc.)
I used to like them, but the past 10 years I've begun to dislike them
They give the academic standards as an excuse for their mediocrity, yet that wasn't a problem for almost 100 years
They schedule cupcakes and struggle to get above .500
And so on

jamesblakefan#1
09-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Va Tech lost to JMU...that matters more to me...lol. But JMU turned me down and I go to ODU. But ODU has better record than VT for now. Epic win?

/threadjack

soyizgood
09-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Va Tech lost to JMU...that matters more to me...lol. But JMU turned me down and I go to ODU. But ODU has better record than VT for now. Epic win?

/threadjack

I heard about that win too. VT is going down. Almost as bad as Michigan's loss to App. St. USC just barely beat Virginia, a team projected to be last in the ACC.

West Coast Ace
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Soyizgood, I'm with you (mostly):

a) ND was last relevant - when all commercial airliners had propellers. There are a lot of Sansa-belt wearing people from a certain religion caught in a time warp. But they do have money, hence the NBC and BCS cash. I do agree about Willingham - he was ripped off. Probably a victim of his initial success - they won a bunch of games with D and special teams; then when they couldn't do it in subsequent yrs the natives ran him out. Then morbidly obese Charlie comes in (with his Super Bowl rings) and they look the other way - his recruiting was worse than Ty's. One point I don't totally agree with - while they do have some cupcakes on their schedule (Army, please) - they do play some tough teams every year. And keep Michigan and SC on their schedule every yr.
b) UCLA can't be considered a football power. National Championships? Did I miss something? Wake me up when they compete for one. Sure, Donahue ran a good program and won Rose Bowls - but they were never in the mix for #1. Sorry, Vince Lombardi was right.

I also think the blasting of Rick N. is ridiculous - he was in an NCAA betting pool? Oh, the humanity! That was total class warfare - just because he makes millions and won thousands the left-leaning press ripped him. Sorry, some of us make more money than others - Capitalism is a 'rhymes with itch'. The real violations weren't that severe to warrant the scorn he's gotten. A lot of jealousy and bitterness, IMHO.

Should be an interesting year for college ball.

PS - ACC, stick to hoops! :)

mtommer
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I love how ESPN was hyping the ND-Michigan game as a step in the right direction for whomever wins. LOL. Even on its home turf, ND fell 28-24. New coach, same old stuff.

I disagree. ND played a good game, better than they have in the last couple of years. U of M are showing themselves to be, hopefully, at least a .500 team this year.

BigServer1
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I disagree. ND played a good game, better than they have in the last couple of years. U of M are showing themselves to be, hopefully, at least a .500 team this year.

So what your saying is Notre Dame played a good game, at home, and lost to a team that will hopefully be .500 this year.

That seems pretty pitiful to me.

Notre Dame has to play at Michigan State (2-0), and then play Stanford (2-0) in the next two weeks. Even if they beat MSU, Stanford is looking really good so far, and will most likely be too much for ND to handle. If ND is 2-2 after their first four games, how long will it take for people to start ripping Brian Kelley apart?

mtommer
09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
That seems pretty pitiful to me.

I think that if ND can show that they are playing solid and consistant football, that's a big step for them. Sure, it's pitiful overall but progression is more important I think at this point. The same can be said for Michigan.

jamesblakefan#1
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM

The Robinson kid for Michigan looks like a beast. Not sure if that was ND's defense or him though. :?

soyizgood
09-12-2010, 02:58 PM
The Robinson kid for Michigan looks like a beast. Not sure if that was ND's defense or him though. :?

Rodriguez is big on the kid. He compares him to Pat White. Some folks think this kid won't last a season if he takes on too much punishment.

mtommer
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Yeah, that is tough to say right now. I'm not sure how good Indiana's defense is projected be and I'm guessing that Iowa is going to present the first real test for Robinson and the playcallers. I alluded to it earlier but I think ND played solid defense, not overwhelming top-of-the nation defense, but good consistent solid defense. I didn't see many ridiculous missed tackles, just Robinson creating his own opportunities. I think this is why it's just too hard to predict how good of a college QB Robinson is going to be.

Dedans Penthouse
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I love how ESPN was hyping the ND-Michigan game as a step in the right direction for whomever wins. LOL. Even on its home turf, ND fell 28-24. New coach, same old stuff.Hmm, you're still "LOL" while (figuratively-speaking) Rome continues to burn?

- o.J. mAyo?..as in SANCTIONS AGAINST THE USC BASKETBALL PROGRAM?

- ReGGie bUsH?...as in SANCTIONS AGAINST THE USC FOOTBALL PROGRAM?

- As in "give us back the Heisman Trophy; you're NOT deserving of it, you blatant cheat!" ???

- As in screwing each and every one of his less talented (but with infintitely more character--the real Men of Troy) teammates who will not have the opportunity to make millions in the NFL?...what a piece of garbage... :neutral:

- As in Pete "I see NCAA monsters in the rear view mirror" Carroll hastily bolting for the "glamorous" Seahawks job??

Don't get me wrong, I like their kid QB Matt Barkley, their cheerleaders and all, but this thread reminds me of psycho Red Sox fans who seem more proccupied, make that 'OBSESSED' with the "other team" (in that case, the Yanks). My take? I think on a subconscious (or maybe conscious) level this thread's a 'silent riot' of insecurity. But I digress:

About O.J. Mayo (and SC in general):
Holy Nicole Simpson, Batman...you'd think a guy who went by the somewhat provocative name of "O.J." would've been all the more conscious of the need to play it straight...as in he wasn't going to slide under the NCAA radar.....but noooo! LOL Man!...Just how low is the allowable "stupidity threadhold" required to play USC athletics??? :rolleyes:

P.S. BTW, I think USC's "other" O.J., the football was not guilty of a double homicide. I also believe in the tooth fairy. :neutral:

mtommer
09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day and thanks to the great job they did it was awfully quick and easy to sack!!! :D

Kevin T
09-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Hmm, you're still "LOL" while (figuratively-speaking) Rome continues to burn?

- o.J. mAyo?..as in SANCTIONS AGAINST THE USC BASKETBALL PROGRAM?

- ReGGie bUsH?...as in SANCTIONS AGAINST THE USC FOOTBALL PROGRAM?

- As in "give us back the Heisman Trophy; you're NOT deserving of it, you blatant cheat!" ???

- As in screwing each and every one of his less talented (but with infintitely more character--the real Men of Troy) teammates who will not have the opportunity to make millions in the NFL?...what a piece of garbage... :neutral:

- As in Pete "I see NCAA monsters in the rear view mirror" Carroll hastily bolting for the "glamorous" Seahawks job??

Don't get me wrong, I like their kid QB Matt Barkley, their cheerleaders and all, but this thread reminds me of psycho Red Sox fans who seem more proccupied, make that 'OBSESSED' with the "other team" (in that case, the Yanks). My take? I think on a subconscious (or maybe conscious) level this thread's a 'silent riot' of insecurity. But I digress:

About O.J. Mayo (and SC in general):
Holy Nicole Simpson, Batman...you'd think a guy who went by the somewhat provocative name of "O.J." would've been all the more conscious of the need to play it straight...as in he wasn't going to slide under the NCAA radar.....but noooo! LOL Man!...Just how low is the allowable "stupidity threadhold" required to play USC athletics??? :rolleyes:

P.S. BTW, I think USC's "other" O.J., the football was not guilty of a double homicide. I also believe in the tooth fairy. :neutral:

Hey now Dedans, let's not forget the USC women's tennis program. When non-revenue sports are cheating, darn near everyone MUST be cheating.

Dedans Penthouse
09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
^^^^^^^^
Good call KT....oh yeah, I forgot about Gabriela "Ma Bell" Niculescu.

Notre Dame: Calculus
U S C: Cal Clueless

:-)

"...and I will not sleep until I search every golf course in the country to find the real killer."

soyizgood
09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
OMFG! Michigan St. beats ND in OT via a FAKE FG attempt. Talk about gutsy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdCbC36Qyk

mtommer
09-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Holy shi-itzu, that.......was.......amazing!!!! Darn good game!

soyizgood
09-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Looks like Arizona will get the W vs Iowa. Iowa QB got sacked 3 consecutive downs to kill their drive. GO PAC-10!!!

NickC
09-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Looks like Arizona will get the W vs Iowa. Iowa QB got sacked 3 consecutive downs to kill their drive. GO PAC-10!!!

It was 4 straight downs. But a win's a win, and even though Iowa didn't look like a top 10, like I said, it's a win vs. a team ranked in the top 10. I'll take it.

BigServer1
09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Great win for UA last night, especially after damn near giving away a 27-7 lead.

Notre Dame gets Stanford next week, which likely means that the Irish will be 1-3 after their first four games and definitely out of BCS contention. I wonder how fans of the program will react to that, especially since they still have BC, Pitt, Utah and USC still on the schedule. There are at least 2 losses in that group alone, meaning ND could conceivably end the season 7-5 or 6-6.

I thought Kelley was getting his team ready to contend for a BCS game now?

BigServer1
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
New AP top 25 poll out...

1 Alabama (53) 3-0 1,492 1
2 Ohio State (5) 3-0 1,435 2
3 Boise State (1) 2-0 1,333 3
4 TCU 3-0 1,280 4
5 Oregon 3-0 1,238 5
6 Nebraska 3-0 1,175 8
7 Texas (1) 3-0 1,164 6
8 Oklahoma 3-0 1,114 7
9 Florida 3-0 1,044 10
10 Arkansas 3-0 903 12
11 Wisconsin 3-0 803 11
12 South Carolina 3-0 739 13
13 Utah 3-0 703 14
14 Arizona 3-0 663 24
15 LSU 3-0 654 15
16 Stanford 3-0 606 19
17 Auburn 3-0 600 16
18 Iowa 2-1 482 9
19 Miami (FL) 1-1 472 17
20 USC 3-0 414 18
21 Michigan 3-0 291 20
22 West Virginia 3-0 258 21
23 Penn State 2-1 198 22
24 Oregon State 1-1 75 25
25 Michigan State 3-0 45 NR

My favorite part of this poll is that in the others receiving votes category, Notre Dame had 1 vote. That means someone out there thinks that ND at 1-2 is a top 25 team...I don't care if they're close losses, a team under .500 should never be anywhere near the top 25.

Six SEC teams in the top 25, six Big Ten teams, five Pac-10 teams, including big jumps from Arizona and Stanford. Only three for the Big 12 and just one lone school from the ACC and Big East.

soyizgood
09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Great win for UA last night, especially after damn near giving away a 27-7 lead.

Notre Dame gets Stanford next week, which likely means that the Irish will be 1-3 after their first four games and definitely out of BCS contention. I wonder how fans of the program will react to that, especially since they still have BC, Pitt, Utah and USC still on the schedule. There are at least 2 losses in that group alone, meaning ND could conceivably end the season 7-5 or 6-6.

I thought Kelley was getting his team ready to contend for a BCS game now?

ND is not beating Stanford. Don't see them with better luck against USC or Utah either. BC has had their number for a while. Pitt is a possible win. ND can't count on a W vs Navy, either.

soyizgood
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
MSU's coach had a heart attack after the game. Wish him a speedy recovery.

West Coast Ace
09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Great fake! Obvious ND had no clue how to combat it - gave the kicker all day to line up the throw.

Agree with Soyizgood - 5 losses isn't out of the realm for ND.

BigServer1, I think two so-so yrs will have the ND booster grumbling. This yr he gets a pass.

BigServer1
09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Great fake! Obvious ND had no clue how to combat it - gave the kicker all day to line up the throw.

Agree with Soyizgood - 5 losses isn't out of the realm for ND.

BigServer1, I think two so-so yrs will have the ND booster grumbling. This yr he gets a pass.

Oh I agree with everything you said...Honestly, I think that 7-5 is as good as it will get for ND, and I think 6-6 is how it will actually end up.

I just find it funny because Brian Kelley did that big TV/Radio media tour and said stuff like: "We're not going to have a five-year plan...We have a five minute plan. We are going to win now."

He's obviously failing miserably at closing out games late. ND could easily be 3-0, and the BCS bandwagon would be in full effect, but his players are becoming experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I agree that this year Kelley gets a pass from the fan base this year, but he won't next year.

It is funny though to think that both Willingham and Weis started their ND tenures with successful 9+ win seasons and trips to illustrious bowl games. This year ND will be lucky to make the Hawaii bowl.

soyizgood
09-25-2010, 03:03 PM
UCLA is beating Texas???

After 3 Qtrs....
UCLA 27
Texas 6

USC r@ping WSU 50-16

Arkansas leading Alabama 20-14 going into the 4th qtr.....

soyizgood
09-25-2010, 03:41 PM
8 min left in the 4th qtr...
Stanford 34
ND 6

Alabama takes the lead.... 24-20. 3 minutes left...
Texas finally scores a TD. Too bad UCLA leads 27-12 with 2:28 left. UT failed on their 2-pt attempt.

soyizgood
09-25-2010, 04:07 PM
2 minutes left.
Stanford 37 ND 14

ND on track to lose its 11th straight game vs ranked opponents.

Stanford 4-0 while ND drops to 1-3.

NickC
09-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I've never seen such a poor display of refereeing, and an even poorer attempt at playing defense.

I left the stadium when we were down 9-3 at home to Cal. CAL, FOR GOD'S SAKE. WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BEAT CAL AT HOME. But no. We suck. Kiss a bowl berth goodbye. This is awful, the student section felt like a morgue at halftime, everyone was depressed and ****ed off.

Was nice to see ND get rocked at South Bend, though.

soyizgood
09-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I've never seen such a poor display of refereeing, and an even poorer attempt at playing defense.

I left the stadium when we were down 9-3 at home to Cal. CAL, FOR GOD'S SAKE. WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BEAT CAL AT HOME. But no. We suck. Kiss a bowl berth goodbye. This is awful, the student section felt like a morgue at halftime, everyone was depressed and ****ed off.

Was nice to see ND get rocked at South Bend, though.

Arizona won 10-9. No need to press the panic button...yet. U of A will find a way to mess up at some point. There's a reason why they have NEVER won the PAC-10. I suspect Oregon, USC and/or Stanford will get in the way.

soyizgood
10-02-2010, 03:47 PM
LSU was just a BONEHEAD at the very end. How did they mess that golden chance up? 1 yd line, but they didn't know whether to take a TO, down the ball, or just run a play.

WHAT!?!?! There was a penalty on the defense for having 12 men,. So LSU is still alive. And LSU scores the TD. OMFG!?!?!

In other news, ND beats BC to improve to 2-3.

NickC
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
LSU was just a BONEHEAD at the very end. How did they mess that golden chance up? 1 yd line, but they didn't know whether to take a TO, down the ball, or just run a play.

WHAT!?!?! There was a penalty on the defense for having 12 men,. So LSU is still alive. And LSU scores the TD. OMFG!?!?!

In other news, ND beats BC to improve to 2-3.

And that means they'll probably get votes to be in the top 25 :roll:

Somehow, U of A improves to #9 in the country. Heady days....

soyizgood
10-09-2010, 03:52 PM
South Carolina, the poor SC school that lost the lawsuit vs the REAL USC, beat Alabama. 1st time they have ever beat the #1 ranked team in its entire history. 1st time they won while televised by CBS since 1995. Woah Nelly...

Meanwhile, ND held on to beat Pitt 23-17....

mtommer
10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The SC vs Bama game was a great game. Mich SUCKED big time today vs MSU. Props to Mich State though I'm gnashing my teeth admitting as much. :D

soyizgood
10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I think we'll need to call an Amber Alert for NickC.

I came back home and see Oregon St. barely held on.

USC lost to Stanford with a FG to end it. USC could be 6-0 if not for losing the two games in the final moments. Oregon's 1st half defense is lousy, yet they shut down folks in the 2nd half. I wonder if they're for real or if they will implode like they almost always do.

BigServer1
10-10-2010, 09:08 AM

USC lost to Stanford with a FG to end it. USC could be 6-0 if not for losing the two games in the final moments. Oregon's 1st half defense is lousy, yet they shut down folks in the 2nd half. I wonder if they're for real or if they will implode like they almost always do.

The 1st half defense has been a point of contention among Duck fans all season...The issue is, a lot of the points come off things like Kenjon Barner fumbling that KO after getting ROCKED and sent to the hospital. You can give a 1-AA team the ball on the 5, and more often than not, they'll walk away with points.

We're for real though, make no mistake. We've won every game by double digits, and we've only allowed 13 points in the second half all year. Barely over 2 second half points per game is ridiculous. The issue for us is that we've got a huge target on our backs for every Pac-10 game this year, and (especially on the road), there aren't a ton of gimme games. I guess I'm not too upset because even with that turnover on our own 5, our TD on the kickoff that came back on a penalty, and 2 bad fumbles by LaMichael James, we still won by 20 on the road.

It will be tough to go undefeated, especially @USC, home against UA and @Oregon State. If we do, we should play for the NC...Here's hoping we can keep our heads down and focus on one game at a time.

NickC
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM

:(....................

soyizgood
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
:(....................

At least you're alive. :)

soyizgood
10-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I should LMAO at Nebraska's receivers. OMG they've dropped several potential TDs today. Texas holds on 20-13. Another top 5 bites the dust.

Iowa leading Michigan 38-28 with under 3 minutes to go. Was Denard Robinson injured yet again? Michigan makes its 4th TO with that INT. Game should be over.

ND beat their cupcake Western Michigan to go to 4-3.

Wisconsin shocks tOSU 31-18. I guess Oregon will be the new #1.

soyizgood
10-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Oklahoma #1 in the BCS? Even though they barely beat Utah St. and Air Force.. Give me a break! There must be a lot of Big-12 ***** running the computers.

jamesblakefan#1
10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I still think Oregon will trip up somewhere down the line, perhaps even to your Trojans soy. Too much pressure as first time #1. Nebraska got exposed this weekend, so it looks like the Big 12 could be a cakewalk if OU beats Mizzou this weekend.

Also interesting that Alabama is highest ranked 1 loss team, the experts are already saying if they win out they'll likely jump over Boise and maybe even OU/Oreg if they're still undefeated.

soyizgood
10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I still think Oregon will trip up somewhere down the line, perhaps even to your Trojans soy. Too much pressure as first time #1. Nebraska got exposed this weekend, so it looks like the Big 12 could be a cakewalk if OU beats Mizzou this weekend.

Also interesting that Alabama is highest ranked 1 loss team, the experts are already saying if they win out they'll likely jump over Boise and maybe even OU/Oreg if they're still undefeated.

Oregon still has Arizona, USC, and Oregon St. to deal with. I'd favor them against Arizona. USC is tricky because this is sometimes a close match, but I think Oregon moves on. The games with Oregon St. are often feisty shootouts. Oregon really needs to stop giving away so many 1st half points. 31 pts to Stanford in the 1st half, yet miraculously shut them out in the 2nd half. Talk about Dr. Jeckll and Mr Hyde.

Kevin T
10-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Oregon still has Arizona, USC, and Oregon St. to deal with. I'd favor them against Arizona. USC is tricky because this is sometimes a close match, but I think Oregon moves on. The games with Oregon St. are often feisty shootouts. Oregon really needs to stop giving away so many 1st half points. 31 pts to Stanford in the 1st half, yet miraculously shut them out in the 2nd half. Talk about Dr. Jeckll and Mr Hyde.

I think Oregon will handle AZ and the beavers handily this year. The USC game is a tough one. They put a whoopin' on USC last year and that will be fresh in the Trojan's minds. I believe USC also has a bye weekend before the Oregon game, so they'll be fresh and well-prepared.

I'm also pretty shocked about Oklahoma being the BCS #1. Wins up to this point and remaining schedule are less than impressive. They're not even top 50 in rushing, rushing D or passing D. I'd give the nod to the Ducks at this point in the season. If Bama wins out, they will (and should) jump Boise and TCU. They have a meat-grinder of a schedule and if they make it to the SEC title game, would have played 6 top 15 teams (at the time each game was played). If Auburn wins out, they certainly will be in the BCS title game...and they looked very good against Arkansas. But Auburn's passing D is horrible and a good QB can expose them. I'll be shocked if they beat Bama. And Bama won't lose to South Carolina twice.

Kevin T
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
The Ducks took UCLA behind the shed and gave 'em a first class whoopin' last night. I'm sort of backing away from my tough game with USC prediction. The Trojan's D isn't scaring anyone and I just can't see them scoring 50 and keeping up with the Duck's O. Looks like it might be your year BigServer! :)

NickC
10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
pppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffff

Down 35-10 at Navy?

And to think, ND-supporting folks on the ESPN boards were saying that if they won at Navy and won the rest of their schedule, they should be eligible for a BCS bowl, if not a national championship.

At this rate, they won't even get into a bowl, period. I'd love to see that happen.

dlk
10-23-2010, 11:53 AM
pppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffff

Down 35-10 at Navy?

And to think, ND-supporting folks on the ESPN boards were saying that if they won at Navy and won the rest of their schedule, they should be eligible for a BCS bowl, if not a national championship.

At this rate, they won't even get into a bowl, period. I'd love to see that happen.

WOW! They look like the same crap they've looked like for past 20 years. I'm a ND fan, but you're right, they deserve no bowl bid.

soyizgood
10-23-2010, 01:18 PM
ND is officially Navy's beatch. 3 of the last 4 now for Navy. I said earlier ND couldn't count on getting a win vs Navy. The only spread ND did was open its legs for Navy to run all over them. Wish I could have saw the game, but the stats are ugly for ND anyway you look at it.

hollywood9826
10-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Navy is a very good team having lost close games to MD and Air Force. They have an unorthodox style of running the ball and teams have trouble stopping them.

Notre Dame is doing OK this year. They have beaten the teams they were supposed to be beat. Played Mich and Mich St tough. And Stanford is there other loss. They probably lose to Utah and USC and finish 6-6 which will get them in some crappy bowl game.

soyizgood
10-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Texas is going down the drain as well. Oh, and LMAO @ West Virginia losing to Syracuse.

soyizgood
10-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Navy is a very good team having lost close games to MD and Air Force. They have an unorthodox style of running the ball and teams have trouble stopping them.

Notre Dame is doing OK this year. They have beaten the teams they were supposed to be beat. Played Mich and Mich St tough. And Stanford is there other loss. They probably lose to Utah and USC and finish 6-6 which will get them in some crappy bowl game.

Using JBF's recruiting class data:

On paper the juniors and seniors for ND should have wiped Navy off the field. Granted Clausen and Tate aren't there anymore, but even then ND lost to Navy last year. ND, based on recruiting, should be around the top 10-15 but now sit at 4-4 following up on a 6-6 record. Something just isn't right....

BigServer1
10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
The Ducks took UCLA behind the shed and gave 'em a first class whoopin' last night. I'm sort of backing away from my tough game with USC prediction. The Trojan's D isn't scaring anyone and I just can't see them scoring 50 and keeping up with the Duck's O. Looks like it might be your year BigServer! :)

I'm still nervous about USC, just because we put such a beatdown on them last year that I know they'll be looking to get revenge. We haven't had great starts on the road, so I'll be looking for us to dominate early and keep it going.

Our offense was unstoppable Thursday night...If we click like that, I don't really care how good someone's defense is, we'll put up points. It's our own defense that makes us vulnerable to a slip up somewhere.

ND continues to be a joke. Get them on the road against a decent team and they lose. They're just not cut out to compete at a level that their fan base wants to. Unless something drastically changes, they won't be winning BCS games anytime soon.

hollywood9826
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Using JBF's recruiting class data:

On paper the juniors and seniors for ND should have wiped Navy off the field. Granted Clausen and Tate aren't there anymore, but even then ND lost to Navy last year. ND, based on recruiting, should be around the top 10-15 but now sit at 4-4 following up on a 6-6 record. Something just isn't right....

Talent wise yes. But Navy hasn't changed much in the coaching dept for for about 8 years. They run a similar system to what Paul Johnson ran. And discipline wise you cant get a better team.

ND is on another new coach. If they have the patience to give him enough time they can be good again.

soyizgood
10-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Missouri is up 36-21 on BCS "#1" Oklahoma with 6:36 left.

Now 36-27 thanks to some stupid mistakes by Missouri (that and dumb luck for OU on that kick return). 2pt conversion failed. And 36-27 it is. Oregon should be the new #1 unless the BCS gives it somehow to Auburn.

BigServer1
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Missouri is up 36-21 on BCS "#1" Oklahoma with 6:36 left.

Now 36-27 thanks to some stupid mistakes by Missouri (that and dumb luck for OU on that kick return). 2pt conversion failed. And 36-27 it is. Oregon should be the new #1 unless the BCS gives it somehow to Auburn.

Brad Edwards projections show Auburn as the new #1 in the BCS. He was right last week, projecting Oklahoma over Oregon.

To be totally honest, I'm OK with it being Auburn, because we have to go into USC and play next Saturday. This is USC's title game this year, and I know we're going to get their absolute best. Matt Barkley tweeted as much, comparing Oregon to Lesnar and USC to Velasquez from their fight last night...

Hopefully that's enough bulletin board material to spark us and have it not be close. A decisive win at SC should erase the doubt in anyone's mind (and maybe even the computers...) that Oregon is the #1 team in the nation.

If we lose...God help us.

Kevin T
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Brad Edwards projections show Auburn as the new #1 in the BCS. He was right last week, projecting Oklahoma over Oregon.

To be totally honest, I'm OK with it being Auburn, because we have to go into USC and play next Saturday. This is USC's title game this year, and I know we're going to get their absolute best. Matt Barkley tweeted as much, comparing Oregon to Lesnar and USC to Velasquez from their fight last night...

Hopefully that's enough bulletin board material to spark us and have it not be close. A decisive win at SC should erase the doubt in anyone's mind (and maybe even the computers...) that Oregon is the #1 team in the nation.

If we lose...God help us.

It's gonna be a fun November. Until listening to ESPN this morning, I didn't realize that Oregon has beaten only 1 school with a winning record and their opponents combined winning percentage is ~35%. I'm with you RE Auburn; very good strength of schedule and wins against 3 top 25 teams. Like I said though, just can't see them beating Bama. And I still like Oregon as #1. I really, really, really want to see Auburn and Oregon win out to have undefeated Pac and SEC. On the other hand, I would also like to see a scenario that gets Boise in the title game against an Oregon or Bama...and see Boise get smoked. :)

soyizgood
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
OMFG Tulsa is leading ND 28-27 with 3 mins to go.
ND messes up!!! ND had the ball at the Tulsa 19 with 0:42. All the QB had to do was keep it simple as they were in FG range. But NOOOOOO, he tried to throw it in the end zone and it got picked off!

ND going 4-5. Snatched defeat from the clutches of victory. Credit to Tulsa going to ND for the 1st time and escaping with the win. Good performance for the ND freshman QB, excluding that bad throw.

I think ND will have a 5-7 season with USC and Utah looming.

jamesblakefan#1
10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
They lost? I guess they can't do this anymore then.

http://deadspin.com/5674848/notre-dame-students-plan-to-rush-the-field-for-historic-loss

Still officially the losingnest class in ND history.

NickC
10-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I think ND will have a 5-7 season with USC and Utah looming.

They won't get past Army, Utah will murder them, and USC will do whatever they damn well please with Notre Dame. They'll go 4-8, and still find a way to get into a bowl. Their fans will still claim they should have a shot at a BCS bowl, if not a National Championship like they do every year:roll:.

jamesblakefan#1
10-30-2010, 05:04 PM
They won't get past Army, Utah will murder them, and USC will do whatever they damn well please with Notre Dame. They'll go 4-8, and still find a way to get into a bowl. Their fans will still claim they should have a shot at a BCS bowl, if not a National Championship like they do every year:roll:.

I hope that was semi sarcastic b/c the ND fans seem realistic ab the fact the team sucks right now, and even want to have a bit of fun w/ the historic nature of their suckiness.

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/viewpoint/celebrate-seniors-1.1726938

soyizgood
10-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Kelly is just as clueless as Weis. WHY throw the ball when all they had to do was kill the clock down to kick the FG? Their kicker had made 18 straight FG attempts, so why try for six when 3 would have done it? Stupid...

The crazy thing is this team could be 7-2 if not for close losses to Michigan, Michigan St., and now Tulsa. But then they wouldn't be ND like we've come to expect of the past decade.

NickC
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I hope that was semi sarcastic

It was.............

soyizgood
10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I guess this can also be a LMAO @ Texas thread. Lost to UCLA, Iowa St., and BAYLOR.... at home this year.

Oregon looks set to win 53-32 over USC. USC was up 32-29 in the 3rd, but the Ducks are unstoppable.

jamesblakefan#1
10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Once Oregon faces a team that can stop their hurry up they will lose. That's a big task though. The USC guys were gassed by the 3rd Quarter.

I think if Boise and Oregon met, I'd still put money on Boise over Oregon.

BigServer1
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Once Oregon faces a team that can stop their hurry up they will lose. That's a big task though. The USC guys were gassed by the 3rd Quarter.

I think if Boise and Oregon met, I'd still put money on Boise over Oregon.

It's pretty tough to stop the hurry up, and it's been impossible for anyone to do it this season....Boise's win over us last year has NOTHING to do with this season. Darron Thomas is a better QB than Masoli, James is a better RB than Blount, the offensive line is stronger than it was last year, and our defense is fast (but undersized), which matches up well with a small, fast Boise offense.

I'd love to get Boise in the NC game, because they wouldn't see the team that laid an egg last year...BSU will always be a tough matchup, and Chris Peterson is one of the best gameplanners ever, but I don't see them shutting us down.

The issue in my eyes last year was Masoli. He wasn't a great passer (and he was really short), so defenses could force him to beat them with his arm, and he would fail. Darron Thomas is a much better pure passer, but still runs a mean play fake and read option. Thomas' last two games: 600 yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT (and it was a freak tipped ball pick last night). Masoli never had numbers like that, and it makes us that much tougher to contain offensively.

We still have really tough tests at Cal (4-0 at home), vs. UA (7-1) and at Oregon State. Even Washington is good some weeks, and Jake Locker is no joke. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out with Utah/TCU this week, and the Iron Bowl later this season to likely determine the SEC participant in the NC game (I think Bama jumps Boise if they win out).

Should be a fun end to the season.

soyizgood
10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
The woes continue. NDs QB is out for 6 months. Their star RB needs hip surgery so his career is done. Their TE and nose guard are also likely out for the year.

soyizgood
10-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Oregon is now #1 in the BCS. That spot keeps changing every week.

hollywood9826
11-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Auburn and Oregon are in if they stay unbeaten obviously.

But if one of them does loses and TCU stays unbeaten TCU will have enough SOS to stay #2 and ahead of the 1 loss teams.

Boise/Utah are already too close in BCS points to stay ahead of Bama if Bama wins out.

soyizgood
11-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Utah and TCU face each other, so the winner there should get some space over a 1-loss BCS conference team. I don't think Alabama will beat both LSU and Auburn. Oregon has to face Arizona and Oregon St. back-to-back while Cal is undefeated at home. Still a lot of things to get sorted out.

hollywood9826
11-01-2010, 08:55 AM
If you look at the BCS rankings Utah is barely ahead of Bama, while Boise is quite a way up there.

If Bama wins out beating LSU Auburn and SEC east champ. they will jump Utah even if Utah wins out. Boise has enough of a lead to make it close but they may also get jumped if Bama can win out.

soyizgood
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
USC got slammed by the NCAA, yet Michigan got 3 years "probation" that amounted to reduced practice time, but no penalties in scholarships/bowl appearances/TV appearances for "major infractions" committed by Rodriguez. NCAA is arbitrary, corrupt, and inconsistent, as usual. West Virginia might be in trouble due to the same type of infractions Rich committed there. I hate tOSU, but this time I hope they steamroll Michigan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5764611

soyizgood
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Oklahoma got kicked around by Texas...A&M! Alabama fans can shut up about making the title game. GO LSU! TCU laid a beatdown on Utah.

As for Notre Dame, shame on them forcing a student worker to film the team at high altitude in 50 MPH winds which tragically result in his death.

soyizgood
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Notre Dame beat Utah? Two weeks after losing to Tulsa?

I think this hurts TCU's title hopes as Utah has been exposed as frauds. TCU struggled against San Diego St. on top of that. I think Boise St. will distance itself from TCU.

Talk about running up the score. Wisconsin 83 Indiana 20... and Wisconsin threw in 24 more pts in the 4th. We get it... Indiana sucks.

soyizgood
11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Oregon survived the trap game 15-13 over Cal. In 2 weeks they face Arizona.

Stanford survives vs Arizona St. 17-13. Pac-10 looking good while the ACC and Big East are downright laughable this year.

BigServer1
11-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Oregon survived the trap game 15-13 over Cal. In 2 weeks they face Arizona.

Stanford survives vs Arizona St. 17-13. Pac-10 looking good while the ACC and Big East are downright laughable this year.

Man...That was terrifying to watch today as an Oregon fan. Terrible penalties, mistakes...That fumble in the end zone. Jesus...I feel lucky to get out with a win, but I'm glad that we were able to win a tight game, especially since we held the ball the last 9:30 and dragged the clock out. Oregon is definitely proving that they can win with defense and ball control.

The Pac-10 is looking OK at the top, with 10-0 Oregon, 9-1 Stanford and both UA and USC at 7-3. I wish there were a couple more 6-4 teams, but oh well. Also, congrats to WSU for finally winning a conference game.

The Big East and ACC are AWFUL this season. If this keeps up, they'll have to look at pulling the Automatic status, especially for the Big East, which is horrific and will likely put an unranked team in a BCS game.

soyizgood
11-14-2010, 09:13 AM
The ACC and Big East both deserve to lose their automatic bid. A waste of two BCS spots. Folks want to slam Boise St. for its conference, yet they have as many BCS bowl wins (2) as the entire ACC. So does Utah. The ACC's best team, Virginia Tech, lost to James Madison this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose the ACC title game to some hack program.

NLBwell
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm a Mountain West fan, but wasn't a believer in Utah. Beat Pittsburg, who was highly ranked at the time, but hasn't proven to be all that great. Close game against Air Force, who maybe could be ranked around 25 or so at best, so that doesn't prove much more than they should be ranked around 20 (like Oklahoma). Because of the hangover from the TCU game, I wouldn't have been shocked to see them lose to Notre Dame, but I was amazed that they were crushed. They were perhaps the worst team in the country on Saturday.
San Diego State is a very good team - better than Cal or Georgia - and should be ranked in the top 20. TCU should gain respect for beating SD State badly after they were behind by 14."TCU scored touchdowns on five of its next six drives before halftime to build a 34-14 lead. The Aztecs didn’t even make a first down in that span."
After the game was decided TCU let down and SD Statae got some back-door scores. San Diego State has lost to TCU (#3), Missouri (#15) by 3 points, and inexplicably BYU by 3.

For those who want the ACC and Big East to lose their automatic bid (and the Big 10 if you look at results rather than the polls isn't any better than the ACC) remember that the BCS is not about rankings, but about money. The ACC, Big East, and Big 10 have large population centers, big schools, and big TV markets. The Mountain West and WAC may have some better football teams, but the other conferences aren't going to cut them in on the money.
The Big East is trying to steal away TCU from the Mountain West so they can mantain a reason to be in the BCS, just as the Pac-10 stole Utah away (and BYU went out on its own for a Notre Dame-like one team TV contract). I can't blame them for leaving, the money is the driving factor.

Kevin T
11-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Man...That was terrifying to watch today as an Oregon fan. Terrible penalties, mistakes...That fumble in the end zone. Jesus...I feel lucky to get out with a win, but I'm glad that we were able to win a tight game, especially since we held the ball the last 9:30 and dragged the clock out. Oregon is definitely proving that they can win with defense and ball control.

The Pac-10 is looking OK at the top, with 10-0 Oregon, 9-1 Stanford and both UA and USC at 7-3. I wish there were a couple more 6-4 teams, but oh well. Also, congrats to WSU for finally winning a conference game.

The Big East and ACC are AWFUL this season. If this keeps up, they'll have to look at pulling the Automatic status, especially for the Big East, which is horrific and will likely put an unranked team in a BCS game.

I'll bet you couldn't get a greased needle through your "tightness" Saturday night, BigServe. :) Cal just dumbfounds me this year. I watch a lot of their games, being in Cali and my wife's entire family being Berk grads. How do you crush AZ St and give Oregon a heart attack, then get utterly dominated by USC, Oregon St (huh?) and NEVADA (bigger huh?!).

ACC is awful this year but my young Hokies are getting better every game. That Boise game was a toss-up, considering their experience and how young the Hokies D is/#of players they lost last year. No excuse for JMU. I don't think Miami will give them much trouble next week and can't see FSU or Maryland beating Va Tech in the title game.

Kevin T
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm a Mountain West fan, but wasn't a believer in Utah. Beat Pittsburg, who was highly ranked at the time, but hasn't proven to be all that great. Close game against Air Force, who maybe could be ranked around 25 or so at best, so that doesn't prove much more than they should be ranked around 20 (like Oklahoma). Because of the hangover from the TCU game, I wouldn't have been shocked to see them lose to Notre Dame, but I was amazed that they were crushed. They were perhaps the worst team in the country on Saturday.
San Diego State is a very good team - better than Cal or Georgia - and should be ranked in the top 20. TCU should gain respect for beating SD State badly after they were behind by 14."TCU scored touchdowns on five of its next six drives before halftime to build a 34-14 lead. The Aztecs didnít even make a first down in that span."
After the game was decided TCU let down and SD Statae got some back-door scores. San Diego State has lost to TCU (#3), Missouri (#15) by 3 points, and inexplicably BYU by 3.

For those who want the ACC and Big East to lose their automatic bid (and the Big 10 if you look at results rather than the polls isn't any better than the ACC) remember that the BCS is not about rankings, but about money. The ACC, Big East, and Big 10 have large population centers, big schools, and big TV markets. The Mountain West and WAC may have some better football teams, but the other conferences aren't going to cut them in on the money.
The Big East is trying to steal away TCU from the Mountain West so they can mantain a reason to be in the BCS, just as the Pac-10 stole Utah away (and BYU went out on its own for a Notre Dame-like one team TV contract). I can't blame them for leaving, the money is the driving factor.

Good points about $$$. Of course a playoff system is ideal but while we're stuck with the BCS, who gets the ACC/Big East auto bids? The WAC because of one good team (Boise) and a recently good Nevada? Mountain West? Better choice than the WAC but Utah is leaving and TCU won't be there for long. Wyoming/C State/New Mexico/UNLV or the history and big $$ of schools like Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, WVU, UVA, UNC and the rest of the ACC? It's a no-brainer. The ACC is having a bad decade but Miami and FSU won't be down much longer. VA Tech is always in the conversation, UNC is looking much better under Davis (if he survives his scandals), GA Tech and Clemson always put out good teams. It really wasn't all that long ago when UVA was always top 20, even top 10.

And let's not forget that even Boise is 2-4 in their last 6 bowl games with losses to Boston College, East Carolina, Louisville and TCU. If you look at the ACC's losses in BCS games, they primarily come at the expense of the SEC (everyone's best conference in football) and they're pretty much all competetive games. Va Tech is pretty much .500 in their last 10 and last 20 bowl games.

NLBwell
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree about the ACC. They have some historically strong programs and these things run in cycles. The Big East, however, lost their strong football programs to the ACC (Miami, BC, Va Tech). The Mountain West/old WAC (as opposed to the current WAC) has been a major football conference for a long time, much longer than the ACC or certainly the Big East - which wasn't even a conference. - Wyoming was a national power in the 60's (Texas took coach Fred Akers from there) - AF got some top 10 rankings (though they weren't in the conference then). Remember, the PAC-8 became the PAC-10 by stealing Arizona and Az St. In the late 80's early 90's or so, the MtnWest/WAC had 5 teams in the top 25 for a week or two and the PAC-10 had none - BYU (who won a national championship), AF, Utah, CSU, and New Mexico. A lot of the kids are recruited from California, so the PAC-10 and MtnWest tend to cycle opposite each other (though of course AF is national and TCU is Texas).

Boise St. beat TCU last year in their BCS bowl.

Until the middle of this year, the last team to beat Alabama was Utah, which crushed them in the bowl game. (Also, I think Urban Meyer's Utah team was the best in the country that year - they were the biggest, strongest team in the country and should have gotten someone better than Pittsburg to prove it against. People think of non-BCS conferences doing it with speed and guile, but that Utah team was big.)

Yes, it's sad that New Mexico, CSU, and a couple of the others are so terrible and I don't think the MtnWest will ever have the depth that the ACC does - a far smaller population to draw recruits from. Historically, the current situation has been true a lot of the time. A couple really top teams and the rest far behind.