PDA

View Full Version : Tennis and Winter

v998988
11-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Do you think it is realistic for someone who lives in a cold climate to become a top player? Sure there are many pros who live in such an area, but pretty much all of the top ten players live in warm climates.

SydW
11-09-2004, 08:34 AM
The last I know, Roger Federer the current no.1 is from Switzerland.

mrwise
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Hehehe...good one SydW. I agree with you. I think the best invention is the indoor court.

BreakPoint
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Don't forget one of the most dominant players in the world, Bjorn Borg, was from Sweden, where he played ice hockey as a youth (like most kids in Sweden). That's where he got that two-handed slap-shot-like backhand.

Also, Boris Becker was from Germany, which gets pretty cold in the winter. And don't forget Stefan Edberg, also from Sweden, and Ivan Lendl, from Czechoslovakia (next to Germany). Then there's Marat Safin, and all the Russian women now dominating the tour. Myskina and Dementieva both still live in Moscow, which gets brutally cold in the winter.

Hey, even John McEnroe is from New York and Jimmy Connors was from Illinois, not the two warmest climates!

v998988
11-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Well, I guess I meant if you

a) aren't rich enough to use indoor courts very often

or b) don't have "friends in high places" to assist you.

What I really meant was if you take someone who was slightly disadvantaged (like the Williams sisters), and put them in a cold area, could they become the players they are today?

VictorS.
11-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Well, I guess I meant if you

a) aren't rich enough to use indoor courts very often

or b) don't have "friends in high places" to assist you.

What I really meant was if you take someone who was slightly disadvantaged (like the Williams sisters), and put them in a cold area, could they become the players they are today?

My guess is probably no. First of all, tennis is a pretty expensive sport in comparison to other sports, such as basketball. Of course, there are a number of public courts...but most of the best players in the US it seems...seem to play at private clubs.

Obviously in the U.S., most of the top guys (Roddick, Fish, Ginepri) seem to come from upper middle class backgrounds. Is this true uinversally? What about the players in South America or Eastern Europe, such as Coria, Nalbandian, or Sargisian.

raftermania
11-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Introduce cliche... where there is a will, there is always a way...

Deuce
11-10-2004, 12:22 AM
At some point in their development (usually their early teens), these cold climate kids begin training in warm climates, like Florida.

BLiND
11-10-2004, 02:42 AM
Yes I think tis true... here in the North of England, I play tennis through the winter, and its horrible... we have no indoor courts.... but if we did I would be deffinitly within the top 100 on the ATP by now ;-)

pound cat
11-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Canada has Daniel Nestor. However the Russian women have excelled because Russia has a great club system, a GREAT WORK ETHIC, and lots of indoor courts and coaches. The Russian men with the exception of Safin have trained in Russia. but Safin was a young player when Russia didn't even have tennis racquets, and certainly no indoor courts. If there is support for tennis, anyone can get good. If not, ..... go south.

pound cat
11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
And Safin borrowed huge amounts of money from a Swiss sponsor which took him a while o pay back. Having supportive/pushy parents also seems to help with a tennis career whether you live north or south.

MARK ANDERS
11-10-2004, 09:37 AM
V9.....Good point about the Compton Duece Killas (Venus & Serena).

Out here the weather is great all year. If they grew up in the ghetto, in say Detriot, they would probably be working at Popeyes or telemarketing!

Or maybe Papa would have started them in basketball instead and they would become WNBA superstars.

pound cat
11-10-2004, 10:12 AM
"Out here the weather is great all year. If they grew up in the ghetto, in say Detriot, they would probably be working at Popeyes or telemarketing!

Disagree. Richard Williams, maligned tho' he is would have found a way.

It's all about support from someone . somewhere , not climate IMO as to whether you make it in tennis or in life.