PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on calming nerves!

Bagdatis toy hippo
09-30-2007, 05:32 PM
I've got a tennis match tomorrow and I need some advice on keeping myself calm. Anybody have any cheap tips of some sort?

Teh_pwnerer
09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
just stay calm dont rush your shots talk yo yourself(in a good way) motivate urself i dont know everyone has its own way

Bagumbawalla
09-30-2007, 06:05 PM
This is one of the four or five most asked questions. There are hundreds of responses in the "search" section (above).

However, just to get things started- If you are confident in your strokes and abilities, then you will tend to do well. You gain confidence by practicing your strokes and tactics until they come like second nature, even under pressure.

If you are not at that point yet, do not expect to do too well. Instead just play your best and think of the match as a learning experience. Take mental notes of exactly what you need to inprove- then work on those things- and try again at the next tournament. Do not put pressure on yourself- just play the ball.

Think of the match not as something you will win or lose, but something more like a normal practice session. Watch the ball, get to the ball, use good technique, keep the ball in play and deep, hit safe shots until there is an obvious opening.

As an example, last weekend I played up a level from my normal ranking. I got through the first round, but had a lesson of my on in the second. I will work on those things that I found lacking and try again. This is the way you should look at it as well.

Good luck, and let us know your results,

B

herosol
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
when the match starts, make easier targets.
dont go for the lines or even close to them.

merely find the middle of the down the line or the cross court.
when you find the groove move your target to an even harder shot including short-angle groundstrokes.

In2theriver
10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Music baby! The simplest and most effective tool for taking your mind off of something.

Put on your favorite song, sit back, and relax.

Try to pick something chill.

Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to sell a collection of tennis videos that teach beginners everything they need to know to become the best player at their club.

You'll find the link in this lens, which also has great tips on how to serve properly.
Click here if your interested (http://www.squidoo.com/tennisserve)

I hope this is better!!

skiracer55
10-01-2007, 07:46 AM
...in this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=158654

crazy8tiger
10-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Before the match, I'd just do regular tasks and not really worry about it until a few hours before. I tend to sometimes get too hyped then I play really tense later in the match. Listen to music like In2theriver suggested, it'll help you focus on other things.

During the match, if you start getting really frustrated and tense, try just talking to yourself and going back to basics. Bounce the ball around, when I'm serving bad and get tense, I calm myself down and hit a serve much calmly and easier. Try to just stay calm and relaxed, during every break, take your time and recollect your thoughts.

metamike
10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say look at the other 3 threads about the same subject?

VS_Power
10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
grunt every time you strike the ball

it really really helps

cliff
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
go to www.procomparetennis.net and check out the free articles on the mental aspect of the game. There is lots of advice about how to keep control and stay in the present.

Teh_pwnerer
10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok so i go play some tennis with my father every saturday, last 2 he beated the cr@p out of me, something like 6-1,6-3-6-2.

Now i was doing really good but not enought it was 6-3,6-0. I was so mad at this point but i said ok, its not worth it, ill just do my best. So i did. Started thinking and adjusting my game, finishing my stroke, relaxed, knee bending, footwork, and then i realize the score is 4-0 me winning i was like dooooooooooood..... so i said ok this is it, ill win my first ever set against him.

so then it goes 4-1, 4-2.. before i knew, it was 5-5, and we spend seriously like 15 minutes in DEUCE, i served, lost the point, then an ace, ace, lost the point, good serve, won point, double fault. Just plain crazy, but i ended up winning the game.

So its 6-5 me winning so im excited, comeon let's break. But then, its 6-6 and in the end its 7-0!!!! i mean WTFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! i had him 4-0!! comeonn man i wa splaying my best tennis lol but im not mad, im actually very happy, its the very first time im close to winning the set (against my dad).

So id like to ask some tips to stay focused and overall tips to not start screwing up like i just did, there's a tourney the 20th or sumtin and im pretty sure ill do well but i wanna do better.

Thanks in advance;) :)

Rickson
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
You had the tools to beat him, but you didn't have it upstairs to finish the job. You can't be so anxious next time and focus on every point instead of looking for the set. Remember, play one point at a time and stop looking for the finish line so early.

Bottle Rocket
10-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Its never over until its over.

The instant you have the thought of "Yep, I got this one" is the exact same instant where you lose the lead, the momentum, and the match. Its the exact same reason everyone (up to a certain level, of course) double faults shortly after hitting an ace. You can't let up. You have to continue doing what got you to the point your at.

Having a strong game is important, but mental strength is just as important. Unless you're blowing guys out of the water on your worst days, you've got to get down to business. What does that mean? It means you have to save the celebrating until the end. You've got to concentrate on each and every point, especially when you're in the lead. You can't give anything away, be it a single shot or the momentum.

The other issue is simply your mindset coming into a match, set, or even a game. You had a different mindset in the games you were winning and it changed after you realized the situation. Lot's of times the issue of belief comes into play. Do you truly believe you're the better player? Do you deserve to win? Are you confident enough to make the shots? If you don't believe those things, your mind can betray you and prevent you from playing to your potential.

Knowing the solution is one thing, but putting it into practice is another. More match play, more competition, and more tennis is usually the solution to all of the above. After all, isn't that the solution to everything?

Teh_pwnerer
10-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Very nice post you guys!, you are both right!! exactly what happened today.
I dont know if i am the better played and i dont think like that because i dont like beeing arrogant, but im pretty sure my technique is way better than most people here, do i deserve to win? of course i do, im doing an effort, but its not like it is always going to happen. No im not confident, only on some, im rreally afraid of missing shots sometimes and because of that i dont try them. But today i left it all aside and i was trying everything and it worked!.

Tennis is a beautiful sport, its mental, physical, elegant and full of action i just luv it!

Hot Sauce
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Nerves and mentality. When I play well all these thoughts and feelings go through my head, like yours, and it isn't good. Just keep your gameplan to what's working.

Teh_pwnerer
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Nerves and mentality. When I play well all these thoughts and feelings go through my head, like yours, and it isn't good. Just keep your gameplan to what's working.

Yeah i got problems with that but im willing to fix it, but i guess ill need waay more pracite:D

metamike
10-07-2007, 06:04 PM
...At thinking? Er...nice one. My only suggestion is learn some mental self control, and try to keep a clear mind when playing, or do what I do and think only about what your opponent might do to win in the next time he hits the ball.

RoddickAce
10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't do much better lolz...6-4, 1-6,7-5,6-7(13),6-0

It's not like I went away either, we had some crazy rallies in each game, but I took a bagel!!!!!!!!! anyway...it seems that once u realize u r winning, u don't play as well cuz u over-relax, don't get me wrong, relaxing is a good thing, but over-relaxing will get ur mind to stop thinking, and hence ur statergy and tactic suffers. then, when u lose again, the relaxing feeling goes away and then it's a train wreck.

Teh_pwnerer
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Totally agree. Next time its gonna be different i promise =D

SoBad
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
You have to be mentally tough and play your best on crucial points. Otherwise it's gonna be ridiculous every time!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-X_ggBWEtU

Teh_pwnerer
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
You have to be mentally tough and play your best on crucial points. Otherwise it's gonna be ridiculous every time!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-X_ggBWEtU

I dont know how to play tie breaks i've been in very few...:sad: