PDA

View Full Version : ambidexterity!

Rickson
09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
I love playing tennis with my off hand except for the serve. I'm still much better with my natural hand, but I can beat any beginner with my off hand and I'm wondering what I can do to take advantage of this skill against opponents who are definitely past the beginner level.

Tennis_Monk
09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
more practice?

Rickson
09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm talking about zipping forehands to the righty's backhand instead of getting into a backhand battle. Maybe I should try some of those.

racquet_jedi
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I can use ambidexterity to a certain extent due to having a dominant left hand but a dominant right arm. Learn to serve with your off-hand and make the most of lefty spin (assuming your right-handed). That would definitely give an advantage. Also, if you're running for a backhand, switch to your non-dominant hand and hit a running forehand.

tbini87
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
it couldn't hurt, i have used my weaker arm to get to balls that i normally couldn't get to with a back hand. especially a slice on the run or something. don't know how much good it would do you as far as a serve, because it would take a lot of time to practice, which could easily lead to less consistency of other shots. i don't think it would be worth the trade off.

Rickson
10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I can use ambidexterity to a certain extent due to having a dominant left hand but a dominant right arm. Learn to serve with your off-hand and make the most of lefty spin (assuming your right-handed). That would definitely give an advantage. Also, if you're running for a backhand, switch to your non-dominant hand and hit a running forehand.

I always thought that a lefty serve to the ad side would work better than my righty serve if I could ever develop the lefty serve that is. I actually have a pretty decent one handed backhand (righty of course) so the lefty forehand is just for horsing around, but I think that if I had a good enough lefty serve, I'd play out the point when I serve to the ad side with my left.

burosky
10-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I played against an ambidextrous player. He is a natural righty. He was able to take advantage of using his left on serves when serving with his right makes him look directly at the sun and on overheads that were supposed to go on his backhand side. Quite an unfair advantage but in no way his fault. Great for him, too bad for me.

Rickson
10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I played against an ambidextrous player. He is a natural righty. He was able to take advantage of using his left on serves when serving with his right makes him look directly at the sun and on overheads that were supposed to go on his backhand side. Quite an unfair advantage but in no way his fault. Great for him, too bad for me.
That was you?

Elyod Nanoc
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
ambidexterity is great, but working on your dominant hand more is better imo. Using your non-dominant hand should be used only for handicap or as a last resort shot like Sharapova does (never seen this thought, just heard rumors and stuff).

btw I'm a ambidextrous player and encourage ambidexterity just not with too much emphases on the non-dominant hand, if you try too hard with your non-dominant hand you may screw up your dominant hands form. Intstead just work on your dominant hands form and technique then your non-dominant hand well naturally follow, of course you are going to have to practice it to a extent. This is from my experience so if it is wrong you have my apologies.

Thank you

shojun25
10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm a natural lefty, but I play with my right hand in PE (racquet sports consisting of badminton, ping pong, and tennis) because its fun to challenge beginners with my non-dominant hand.

I am able to do dink serves with my right hand. I am able to hit (two hand) backhands better than my forehands. I can actually rally better with my right hand with beginners in PE ;)

I only wish that I can do right handed serves like my left hand serves.

burosky
10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
That was you?

Not sure what you are talking about.

Rulo
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Even though "Ambidexterity" is a natural "gift", I think someone could play pretty well with his non-dominant hand if he just practice a lot....
If you don't believ me, just see Nadal ;)

shojun25
10-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Even though "Ambidexterity" is a natural "gift", I think someone could play pretty well with his non-dominant hand if he just practice a lot....
If you don't believ me, just see Nadal ;)

Haha, thats true :p

Talon
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I think you should use your ambidexterity to your advantage. I'm a college student at UW, and one tennis player on the UW team serves lefthanded and plays righthanded. His profile:

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/fischer_patrik00.html

Rickson
10-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I think you should use your ambidexterity to your advantage. I'm a college student at UW, and one tennis player on the UW team serves lefthanded and plays righthanded. His profile:

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/fischer_patrik00.html

Here's the problem with being like Patrick. I can hit groundstrokes well with either hand, but I can't serve lefty for anything. Developing a lefty serve would be a huge advantage on the ad side so if my lefty serve ever gets up to speed with my righty serve, I'll be trying that on some trick plays.