PDA

View Full Version : Hello again

christyu
10-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Sorry for posting new ones again but, people were telling me to hit balls with topspin but I'm not really fond of it because I'll get too tried of it and I want to hit flat mostly. So I'm planning to use eastern-forhand grip. But some people told me to use the continental grip for forehand. Isn't it used for the volleys, overheads, and serve? Any suggestions?

wihamilton
10-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Ya, use the continental for those shots. Definitely DO NOT use it for the forehand. Even if you don't like to hit w/topspin, you should at least learn how. You can actually hit harder if you put some spin on the ball b/c it's more likely to stay in.

christyu
10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
That'll be great, but for powerful flat shot and a little bit of spins, which grip should I use?
Eastern? semi-western? (definitely not western..)??

smoothtennis
10-01-2007, 08:18 AM
That'll be great, but for powerful flat shot and a little bit of spins, which grip should I use?
Eastern? semi-western? (definitely not western..)??

Eastern workd fine for that. Just be aware up front, there is a definite limit to how hard you can hit a ball flat from a certain angle. Flat is a great ball to hit, but you have to work extra hard on grooving it, due to it's lower margin of error.

christyu
10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
but some of my friends told me not to use the eastern grip because it strains your wrist alot. Do I have to build my muscle alot to work on it? because I'm so skinny. :confused: :: :

VS_Power
10-01-2007, 04:57 PM
use whichever grip you feel most comfortable with. pros use all sorts of grips so don't worry about using the best one.

you don't have to learn topspin either. if you're doing fine hitting flat then keep on hitting flat. flat is generally harder to hit consistently but does not require much energy

....eventually you'll grow to want to learn topspin though. you'll see other people hitting heavy topspin and you'll want a piece of the action. just don't force yourself if its bugging ya

if you are worried about being too skinny then just look up some pics of Daniela Hantuchova... this woman is bones but shes a top 20 WTA player

same thing happened to me. i always hit flat and i was happy with it til i saw some nice tennis players hitting with topspin and then i went that way.