PDA

View Full Version : Languages

forzainter
10-01-2007, 07:25 AM
hey all, Im just creating a thread to see the variety of languages oin the talk tennis board. As you can see, the poll options are:
Speak more than one language fluently
Speak only one language
Speaks bits of many languages

and then please expand, for example, I would click on the last one then list the languages I speak parts of (english, spanish, italian, pali, sanskrit, swahili, isuZulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans, german, french, norweigan and latin).

Please vote, this threads just a bit of fun, no?:D

anirut
10-01-2007, 07:33 AM
HOLY COW! I accidentally pressed on the one language only.

Sorry guys, I speak two languages fluently -- Thai & English.

As for other languages, well, some Chinese bad words ...

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I guarantee that most of the other members of the South Florida club will speak both Spanish and English ;)

ShiroRm
10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't have any problem with spanish, french, english (hem! I hope so) and italian (my main language).
I'm able to understand written and spoken german.
I studied japanese some times ago, but, unfortunately, I've forgotten almost everything, a part from some words.
I've studied latin and ancient greek for 5 years

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I speak Russian, Ukrainian (very similar but also some different) German and English fluently, can communicate though am not fully fluent in French and Spanish. Studied Welsh before and Japanese, but were very difficult for me to pronounce.

javier sergio
10-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I guarantee that most of the other members of the South Florida club will speak both Spanish and English ;)

yes sir.....I'm sorry "si senor"

forzainter
10-01-2007, 09:35 AM
i forgot about Latin, ill add that to my list:D

diegaa
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
i forgot about Latin, ill add that to my list:D

that makes two of us...

jmverdugo
10-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Spanish of course, english fluently and portuñol;)

Klatu Verata Necktie
10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't have any problem with spanish, french, english (hem! I hope so) and italian (my main language).
I'm able to understand written and spoken german.
I studied japanese some times ago, but, unfortunately, I've forgotten almost everything, a part from some words.
I've studied latin and ancient greek for 5 years

Very impressive! Did you learn these languages in school, in travel, or from family?

dima
10-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I speak English, Portuguese, and Spanish fluently. I wanna learn German next, then maybe Italian.

Docalex007
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
English and German fluently. Maybe a bit of French down the road but i'm good with these two languages as both are the top 2 languages of science.

ShiroRm
10-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Very impressive! Did you learn these languages in school, in travel, or from family?

Well, Forzainter or Iloveyoutennis's knowledge seem quite impressive to me. It's very common to know one or more of the languages I know. And, I imagine, there is A LOT of people that have an even more impressive knowledge.

However, I studied English, Latin and Ancient Greek (with related literatures etc.) at school: it's a normal option for italian students, because the last two were the most important languages used in our country in the past.
I took French, Spanish, German and Japanese lessons. Then I started to use tv shows, books and newspapers intensively (if I have to look at stupid tv programs, I prefer to look at them in other languages) and even japanese videogames. Besides I've always had very good friendships (and even relationships ;-)) with people from Spain, Argentina, Germany, France and even Japan. So, I've always been well-motivated, at least, to learn their languages.
Last thing: you have to consider that italian, spanish, french (but even portuguese, rumanian...) share the same origin: latin. So, it has been easy for me to learn spanish and french. Besides, it seems to me absurd (sorry! ;-)) to speak english with spanish or french people. We could understand each other even speaking, respectively, our own languages

AM28143
10-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I only speak english because I'm from America

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
For myself I was in Russia so started off speaking Russian, Ukrainian is so similar, also its almost automatic. I learned English through both study at university and from individuals. Japanese I studied while in Russia, and visiting Japan a number of times. German I learned after I moved to Germany at 19 through a language school. Welsh I started learning while studying medieval history and through visiting that country.

French and Spanish through personal study, CDS, books and such, and from traveling in those countries, plus had roommates who spoke those languages in Berlin. In my language class there, of 20 students, there were ones from 13 different countries including Mongolia. I think living in a capital city like Berlin with so many people from all over, I think it's more likely to want or need to learn some other languages. Plus you can learn parts of the language at least to basic communication.

With all of the languages except Russian, I still need to continue to watch films, listen to music or have language discs to keep the language somewhat in my head..

Topaz
10-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, I only know one language fluently, but I've sung in German, Spanish, Italian, French, Latin, Japanese, Hebrew, Ladino (blend of Hebrew and Spanish), Swahili, Bantu...probably more, too, that I've forgotten.

Phil
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I can now speak British English, which is a completely different language from what we colonists speak.

Janne
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I speak three languages fluently: Finnish, Swedish and English. I´ve studied Spanish for two years so I´m familiar with the basics and am able to have very simple conversations and things like ordering food and stuff like that. I´ve also picked up many Japanese words and whole sentences from friends by just listening to them.

Strawberry
10-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Chinese and English.

Hartzy
10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I guess you could say I speak English and German fluently. I can converse completely fine in Swiss German but no one cares because it's a dialect. I studied Russian in high school and do it again now at college.

Big Fed
10-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Im in spanish 2.

Trinity TC
10-02-2007, 12:49 AM
I like only speak like English only like you know?8)

origmarm
10-02-2007, 01:51 AM
English, French, German, some Luxembourgish, learning Portuguese
Can read and understand most Latin languages

Elina
10-03-2007, 03:18 AM
I speak fluently Finnish and English, well Swedish, somehow (read better than talk) French, Spanish and German. :D

astra
10-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Slovak, Russian (a bit out of practice at the moment), English. I can understand written/spoken German and also used a little, little bit of Hindi, Farsi during a long time staying.

therogerfan
10-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Russian , Estonian , English fluently , have been learning German for almost 3,5 years already

Lakoste
10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
English and Farsi fluently

Fee
10-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I speak 'Proper English' (that's what my mother always screamed at me growing up ;) ). I studied French for 3 years in high school and can still understand bits of it, and speak a little bit in an emergency, but my accent is just tragic. My husband speaks German, but only after a beer or two (his father is German). I wish I could speak more languages. Bi-lingual/multi-lingual people fascinate me.

oscar_2424
10-03-2007, 12:29 PM
English and Farsi fluently

u suck!:):)

Lakoste
10-03-2007, 12:48 PM
u suck!:):)

:lol: Why? Don't you speak two languages too?

BTW I'm learning Polish from my fiancee, although I'm far from fluent in it. She is good at that stuff though, and already knows 4 languages. She keeps nagging at me to teach her Persian, but I'm lazy.

oscar_2424
10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
god now whe know who carries the pants in your house...

Lakoste
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
god now whe know who carries the pants in your house...

I don't know who carries the pants ...I do know who wears them though ;-)

malakas
10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Greek,English,German though it's still a work of progress,and basic French.
I also know some phrases and curses in italian,spanish,polish,chinese and portugeuse.lol

vkartikv
10-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Fluently: English, Tamil, Hindi, Urdu
Struggle to speak but can understand when spoken to: French
Struggle to understand but can speak: LOVE :p

gerikoh
10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
british/american english and a lot of asian languages :)

forzainter
10-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Greek,English,German though it's still a work of progress,and basic French.
I also know some phrases and curses in italian,spanish,polish,chinese and portugeuse.lol

i learned a greek word the other day:D

ananda
10-05-2007, 06:45 AM
I wish I could speak more languages. Bi-lingual/multi-lingual people fascinate me.
and what is it about us that fascinates you, darling?

morten
10-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Norwegian(swedish and danish too) English and some German.

malakas
10-05-2007, 03:17 PM
i learned a greek word the other day:D

add to that my username,and you got two.:p :mrgreen:

forzainter
10-06-2007, 06:25 AM
add to that my username,and you got two.:p :mrgreen:

awesome:D , by the way, the word i learned was 'Antropos' and there is a line above the first 'o', but now i think about it that might be ancient greek :confused:

ShiroRm
10-06-2007, 07:12 AM
yes, it's ancient greek, that has two words with the meaning of "man", actually: "antropos" and "aner".
however, the first "o" in antropos, is a different letter from the second one: the first is an "omega", while the second is an "omicron" ;-)

forzainter
10-06-2007, 07:53 AM
yes, it's ancient greek, that has two words with the meaning of "man", actually: "antropos" and "aner".
however, the first "o" in antropos, is a different letter from the second one: the first is an "omega", while the second is an "omicron" ;-)

we were told by a bible studier that antropos can actually be translated as 'person', it was at a university open day, is that correct too>?

ShiroRm
10-06-2007, 08:15 AM
it can be translated as "human being" of course and if I remember well (I studied ancient greek some years ago), it can be also used with both the masculin and the feminin article, meaning "man", in the first case and "woman" in the second.
when I studied, I had to translate poets (Sophocles, Sappho, Pindar etc), historians (Xenofon, Herodotus, Thucydites etc), philosophers (Plato etc), but no bible's part, sorry ;-)

forzainter
10-06-2007, 08:17 AM
no reason to be sorry, i was just asking;)

malakas
10-06-2007, 09:51 AM
[ άνθρωπος ] anthropos means human,and it's not only ancient greek,it's also modern greek.To everything else ShiroRm is right.;)

..but if you want to use man,nowadays,my username is most useful.:mrgreen:

forzainter
10-06-2007, 09:56 AM
so malakas means man, so im guessing you are a man, which is strange because i always thought you were a girl:oops: sorry if i got it wrong

malakas
10-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Ehhmm..not exactly..:p but let's say..making a general assumption...it has substituted man.lol Yeah,well you got it right in the first place.;)

shojun25
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
English, Tagalog, Spanish, and currently learning Japanese.

My 4 (almost 5 year old) cousin knows Tagalog and English fluently, and he is learning Chinese :-o

ShiroRm
10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
[ ???????? ] anthropos means human,and it's not only ancient greek,it's also modern greek.To everything else ShiroRm is right.;)

..but if you want to use man,nowadays,my username is most useful.:mrgreen:

I don't know anything about modern greek :-) a part from the fact (but I'm not really sure) that you pronounce "eta" like "iota" (we pronounce it like it were "epsilon")

malakas
10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
H=eta and pronounced [i] like the e in english ,E=epsilon pronounced [e] like,e in henman and I=yota and pronounced exactly like eta.In ancient greek,H was supposed to be longer than the short I. I hope I cleared it up a bit.:) There are 3 vowels pronounced the same nowadays.H,I and Y.lol

diegaa
10-06-2007, 11:18 AM
so malakas means man, so im guessing you are a man, which is strange because i always thought you were a girl:oops: sorry if i got it wrong

Ehhmm..not exactly..:p but let's say..making a general assumption...it has substituted man.lol Yeah,well you got it right in the first place.;)

gosh, are we having again this endless doubt?? please, we all know malakas gender. :o

Phil
10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
So this is the kid who knows every language in the world, while the rest of us are idiots? "Malakas" is what you are. Look it up.

gerikoh
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
and what is it about us that fascinates you, darling?
why, do you speak a lot of languages sweetie? :p

forzainter
10-06-2007, 01:09 PM
So this is the kid who knows every language in the world, while the rest of us are idiots? "Malakas" is what you are. Look it up.

i never claimed to know every language in the world, please look on the first page and you will see what i speak and what i know parts of

Phil
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
i never claimed to know every language in the world, please look on the first page and you will see what i speak and what i know parts of
Look up "malakas"; you'll learn something else...about yourself.

forzainter
10-06-2007, 01:30 PM
ok, give me two minutes

OK, i looked it up, i guess thats almost as funny as your joke about SoBad isnt it, but yet, id rather not rise to something expected to start an argument and I wish not to ruin a good going thread

malakas
10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
gosh, are we having again this endless doubt?? please, we all know malakas gender.

Exactly what I said!:confused: Diegooooo :mad: Pay more attention,will you? :p

Phil
10-06-2007, 02:23 PM
ok, give me two minutes

OK, i looked it up, i guess thats almost as funny as your joke about SoBad isnt it, but yet, id rather not rise to something expected to start an argument and I wish not to ruin a good going thread
Good work. Now you can add Greek to all those languages that you speak "parts of".

ananda
10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
why, do you speak a lot of languages sweetie? :p
yup. several.
and i am also a federer fan (seeing your avatar). but your racquet seems to reveal you are a guy like me. the only girl i know using a K90 is Vakulenko.

so this thing, stops right here :-)

gerikoh
10-06-2007, 11:34 PM
yup. several.
and i am also a federer fan (seeing your avatar). but your racquet seems to reveal you are a guy like me. the only girl i know using a K90 is Vakulenko.

so this thing, stops right here :-)

yeah. but i think some women can find the asian version very suitable than the us verion. relax mate, you thought it wrong :p

westside
10-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I've been learning French for 4 years and i'm going into another year of it

lovecr717
10-07-2007, 12:38 AM
and then please expand, for example, I would click on the last one then list the languages I speak parts of (english, spanish, italian, pali, sanskrit, swahili, isuZulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans, german, french, norweigan and latin).

you speak multi-languages lol.
i can speak chinese (my mother tongue) , english, malay, cantonese, hokkien or also known as fujian language. i think thats all :o
but i gonna take a portuguese course soon . perhaps i can communicate with my favourite footballer , cristiano ronaldo in future? lol

Phil
10-07-2007, 05:56 AM
but i gonna take a portuguese course soon . perhaps i can communicate with my favourite footballer , cristiano ronaldo in future? lol

That may not be necessary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owTcwYQzu70