PDA

View Full Version : Hyper ProStaff 5.0 Revisited???

Benjamin
03-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I saw where Wilson brought this racquet (Hyper ProStaff 5.0) back after a couple year absence. The only chance I've ever had to try this racquet was for about 45 minutes from a high school guy I coached. This 16 year old kid could absolutely rocket his serve (I'm talking over 100) with this racquet.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to whether anyone has "revisited" this racquet since it has "come out again?"

What are anyone's thoughts on this racquet?

I notice that it has a stiffness of around 74 (I think) - - - seems like an awfully stiff racquet with arm problems just waiting to happen, anyone experience arm problems with the 5.0?

Looking forward to your comments.

Benjamin

@wright
03-18-2004, 12:01 PM
With a stiffness like that, you pretty much have no choice about choosing a soft string and not stringing very tight.

Benjamin
03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
@wright....that's exactly what I was thinking. I was looking at that racquet and wondering how it would play with my Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L string at 60 pounds......my arm started hurting just thinking about it!!! :D

Benjamin

netman
03-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Played the 27.5 MP version for a couple of years. Definitely needs to be strung with soft string at lower tension. Even then it eventually took its toll on the shoulder and arm. The siffness made for an awesome serving racquet and screaming ground strokes. I still miss that serving power. Once I hit a serve into an opponent's body, he missed it and it knocked the wind out of him. The sweetspot was small but potent. Miss it however and you shocked the entire kinetic chain from the wrist to the shoulder. Old arms need not apply.

Ken

BHud
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
"Old arms need not apply" certainly sums it up...I'm a 44 yr. old, 4.5 all-court player and took this baby for a little test drive last week. The ride lasted for 1/2 hour. Not only was I spraying the ball all over the place, but my arm was flaming in the elbow region (mishits are a real treat w/ this thing).

Unless you're young and of course feel you will live forever, don't even bother with this stick! :twisted: