PDA

View Full Version : 1HBH slice return of serve

Golden Retriever
10-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Is it a good way to return serve? How does it compare with the 2HBH return of serve?

Douggo
10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm a 3.5, and the 1H slice is pretty much the only BH I've got. I'd say it's fine, as long as your opponent doesn't S&V. I've got a buddy I play regularly, and he'll S&V all day long. I can get away with the slice if I keep the return low, but for me that's not a great percentage play. I've been working on a 2HBH return, which so far gets me an occasional winner, and lots of shots off the back fence. Not a great percentage play, either, but I'm hoping to get better with it.

desilvam
10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
1) 1H or 2H, keep your service return swing short and compact.

2) Concentrate of getting the ball back into court first. Hitting the back fence is not good percentage tennis. :)

3) If he has a fast serve, just push it back flat (like McEnroe did) to begin with. Later on, you can add in a bit of topspin for more control, and to get it back low.

I have a Single hand backhand. I generally use slice returns for high kick serves. I generally use flat push backs (sometimes with a little topspin) for lower serves to my backhand.

ChocolatePie
10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
It'll be good if you can consistently keep it deep. A lot of two handed backhand returns aren't strong at all, but they hit the ball back nice and deep. Watch some of the pros return Roddick's serve and you'll see what I mean.

ananda
10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
one gr8 example of a slice bh return was the max mirnyi - baghdatis match in the USO. max would slice back and charge the net. remember that the slice does usually NOT go into the corner. its slightly off center, to prevent the server from passing DTL. (also note that Max is tall, huge reach, XL racket length)
i tend to hit a flattish 2hbh return deep to the AD court, but its usually not a winner. but it can force errors if it lands on the servers feet.
i would ideally like to mix the two so my return is less predictable. -- newbie

junbumkim
10-01-2007, 09:43 PM
focus on getting depth and good slice on it. Or you could just try to block it back. Trying going both inside out and down the line.

Since it's not a punishing stroke, you really have to neutralize the serve.

Learn to hit really short return that would land around service line or right after it. This shot will have no pace on it and stay low. Your opponent will be forced to hit up and generate his own space. This can be even difficult with knowing it's coming. This is also good return for s-v players.

Another one is to hit a deep slice stays low. If you can succesfully vary between these two, it will be good.

fuzz nation
10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I've used one for a long time and despite its lack of explosiveness, it can be both reliable and give your serving opponents some real trouble.

A serve and volleying opponent needs to crash the net with authority and a low slice return can take away their initiative with a simple, compact stroke. I find it easy to manage the depth and direction of the slice and when an attacker gets my return down on his shoes, he doesn't have much of an aggressive option. Usually he has to hit up from there with a soft shot that I can often step up and take advantage of.

If a server is hitting pretty big or going out wide to my bh side, I can always use the slice return there because the setup is simple and compact, plus the shot goes back slow (and with depth when you hit it ok) and I get a little more time to recover and stay in the point. My strike zone with a 2hbh return is rather limited, but the slice return gives me a good shot at a lot more balls on that side - just one more plus that I see in that stroke.