PDA

View Full Version : what NTRP would I be?

whatsgood4u
10-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not an expert on ntrp, but the highschool varsity coach of my school is registered as a 5.5 player and wins some 5.5 usta tornaments. I played him recently in a competative match to warm him up for a tournament and of course he beat me. But I did alot better than I thought I would. We played a 10 game pro set and he won 10-6. If you had to geuss(I know this is very innacurate but just ammuse me), what NTRP would you rate me by this result assuming he was playing his hardest?
Thanks guys.

goober
10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not an expert on ntrp, but the highschool varsity coach of my school is registered as a 5.5 player and wins some 5.5 usta tornaments. I played him recently in a competative match to warm him up for a tournament and of course he beat me. But I did alot better than I thought I would. We played a 10 game pro set and he won 10-6. If you had to geuss(I know this is very innacurate but just ammuse me), what NTRP would you rate me by this result assuming he was playing his hardest?
Thanks guys.

Anywhere from 4.5-5.5. Not enough info. Just ask your coach what he thinks your are unless you are happy with a lot of wild guesses from a internet forum :D

Geezer Guy
10-02-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree with Goob. If your coach is a competitive 5.5 player, just ask him what he thinks you are. He may have been taking it easy on you after getting a couple of breaks, or you may have really pushed him. It's impossible for us to say. (If he coaches as well as he plays, you're very fortunate to have him as a coach.)

kevhen
10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
He likely wasn't playing his hardest since he doesn't want to hurt your confidence. But if he was playing his hardest and he is a legit 5.5 then you would likely be a 5.0 if you lost 10-6. A 4.5 will struggle to get a game against a 5.5. I am 4.5 and lost 7 games in a row to a 5.5 and I didn't make many errors either and have a big serve.

LuckyR
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
He likely wasn't playing his hardest since he doesn't want to hurt your confidence.

There are many reasons he probably wasn't using his very best matchplay, chief among them IMO would be he was warming up for tournament play.

It would be the unusual HS player who is not heavily into USTA tournaments who would be a 5.0

Seifersquall1
10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
There's not enough information to tell what ntrp rating you are.

tbini87
10-02-2007, 09:39 PM
give more info like what number you are on your team, how you do against highschoolers, how long you have been playing... etc. it doesn't really make sense to guess according to the info you gave because it could be a difference like from a weak 4.0 to a strong 5.0...

whatsgood4u
10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks alot for all the answers guys. I admitt it is a very vague question, but I was just wondering, nothing to serious. I agree that he wasnt going all out(because of touranment he played the next day), but he was still playing hard. I just turned sixteen, been playing about 10 years and I'm the number one singles player on my varsity team. I had a 11 and 2 record last year, but don't get too excited because it's not an amazing devision anyway. I do play USTA tournaments sometimes, but I mainly just hit with the coach I was just talking about. Again, don't take this to seriously, I was just curious what other people would geuss that I am, skill wise. Don't answer if you don't want to.

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
When my dog walks, he has a limp like this, what do you guys think it might be? lol

Jracer77
10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
When my dog walks, he has a limp like this, what do you guys think it might be? lol

I'd say your dog is a 3.0....maybe a 3.5 if he runs without limping.

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
He poops like a 5.0 though, so does that work out so that he is a 4.0?

Jracer77
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
He poops like a 5.0 though, so does that work out so that he is a 4.0?

We're going to need a video to confirm that outrageous 5.0 claim.

drakulie
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
^^I agree. Let's see a video! :)

Tennis4203
10-08-2007, 02:40 AM
come on guys let's get back on track

krz
10-08-2007, 08:08 AM
I think a #1 player with an 11-2 record is probably around a 4.5 in the average division.

javier sergio
10-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys.

2.5 I guess which is 40 % of 5.5 [you won 40% of the games you played :) ]

Hokiez
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
2.5 I guess which is 40 % of 5.5 [you won 40% of the games you played :) ]

Errr, last time I took math in school 6/10 was 60% and 60% of 5.5 was closer to 3.5. As others have said IF he was playing his best (and that's a big IF IMO), it would take a VERY high level 5.0 to lose 10-6 to a tournament winning level 5.5. I don't know many really high level 5.0 highschool kids and those I do know who played at a level like that didn't need to ask their level, they were nationally ranked (my room mate in college was one of these so I do have a little experience in this regard).

javier sergio
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Errr, last time I took math in school 6/10 was 60% and 60% of 5.5 was closer to 3.5. As others have said IF he was playing his best (and that's a big IF IMO), it would take a VERY high level 5.0 to lose 10-6 to a tournament winning level 5.5. I don't know many really high level 5.0 highschool kids and those I do know who played at a level like that didn't need to ask their level, they were nationally ranked (my room mate in college was one of these so I do have a little experience in this regard).

you are right about the math (I did not have a chance to go to a school). I thought he won 4 out 10...........
But my point is; do you think by playing with a pro couple of games you can rate yourself? or come to any conclusion about how good you are?:confused:

forzainter
10-09-2007, 10:33 AM

but you didnt win 6 out of 10, you won 6 out of 16

pushing_wins
10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys.

u wouldnt ask such a question if u were a 5.0+

5.5's wouldnt practice with you unless u are at least 5.0.

like the rest of us, your tennis is an illusion