PDA

View Full Version : ipods vs zunes

ch4ng
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
sorry if this has been discussed before, but its about time for me to get a new mp3 player. im interested in getting the ipod touch. i havent heard much from the microsoft zune and was wondering if any one here owns and could possibly give some input on it. ive really narrowed it down to these two mp3 players and just really trying to get more info on people who actually own the zune. any feedback is good thanks!

zapvor
10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
neither. sansa is the way to go.

Big Fed
10-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I own a zune. Its great. You got widescreen video. Pictures. One of my favorite things is that you can send songs to your friends. Like if my friend is in my 4th hour and i wanna listen to one of the song he has he can just send it to me. and you can listen to the radio on it. and try gettin jessica alba as your backround picture on an ipod :)

But that i pod touch looks sweet id get that if i was buying a new mp3. But its really thin and fragile. Zune are extremely durable if that helps ur choice.

Dont overlook the backround pic. Its amazing to see jess every time you pick a song to listen to.

Lakoste
10-01-2007, 06:32 PM
The 2nd generation Zune should be announced in the next couple of days, so keep that in mind...

IMO, Ipod > Zune

caesar66
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm a big fan of the ipod simply because its simple and the customer service is great.

abenguyen
10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
i think the zune is much better in quality and price. but an the iPod touch is simply amazing. my friend got one today and i was jaw dropping when using it. you can get youtube and internet free its just the price and the size that bothers me. i mean $400+tax for a 16gb version. it is awesome though and super thin.

ktownva
10-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a Zune and it is rock solid. I also had an iPod Nano until it died suddenly without warning. Completely dead. I'm too lazy to take it to the shop and I don't really miss it. So I'm a little biased in favor of the Zune since it has never had any problems in over a year. The built in Wi-Fi is great, and if all your friends had Zunes you could send each other songs all day long. You can send pictures too, but not video. The Zune also has a built in FM tuner with song title display (if the station broadcasts the song info). Watching movies on the Zune is really nice, the screen is bigger than the iPod, although I think the iPod video looks a little sharper. There aren't a lot of third party accessories for the Zune, but the essentials are available (cases, chargers, car kits, etc.) I like my Zune a lot. If Bill Gates would just buy XM and put it on the Zune.....hmmmm. That might kill the iPod.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
10-01-2007, 10:07 PM
neither. sansa is the way to go.

PLeasepleaseplaseplaseplease listen and get a Sansa. I recently bought one over an Ipod and it was honestly one of the better choices i have made in my life. There is a 6g Sansa going for 140.00$ at Dell dot com. Dell is known for having random big sales on their Sansa mp3 players...last month I saw the 8G for 140.00$ but i already had one :( These mp3 players have color screens, can play music (obviously), can play movies (I put in a few clips of tennis matches), has an FM radio, has a recorder....what more can you ask for?

Edit - these things are built like bricks, way more durable than a flimsy Ipod. Also, Apple is notorious for having horrible customer service...

Photoshop
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
One of my favorite things is that you can send songs to your friends. Like if my friend is in my 4th hour and i wanna listen to one of the song he has he can just send it to me.
But it's limited to three songs per day and three plays per song, no? seems pretty useless to me.
or has there been a firmware update or something?
IMO, Microsoft never really cared much for mp3 market, otherwise they would've developed an ipod-killer with new practical features that ppl want on their mp3 players. What the heck was Microsoft thinking when they made Zune bigger than 4th gen. Ipod? Size is one of my top 3 priorities for an mp3 player.
but an the iPod touch is simply amazing. my friend got one today and i was jaw dropping when using it. you can get youtube and internet free
I drove to Best Buy first day they had Touch in stock, and was fairly disappointed. It is thin and vid quality is better than I thought but what really turned me away from it was wifi. I mean the wireless hot spot had to be one or two yards away, yet it took forever to load websites. Youtube was extremely slow and on-screen keyboard was awkward to use.

to OP, if you are interested in touch screen mp3 players, check out Samsung YP-P2. LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-internal-rechargable-battery/dp/B000VQ7ZK6)

Hot Sauce
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
The Zune is pretty cheap now eh? Like 150 US? Does it play videos?

Fedfan4life
10-02-2007, 06:58 AM
I recently bought a 80 gig Ipod classic for $250. My best purchase of the year so far. Best thing of all is you'll never run out of space and free podcasts. Get an Ipod classic and you'll never regret it.

tenniskid3119
10-02-2007, 04:31 PM
i have to 2nd generation Ipod Nano (red product) and I wish I got a zune instead. One of my friends has it and I take his all time, It is so much cooler

psamp14
10-14-2007, 12:34 AM
if you want the internet (free via wifi) at home/public locations then go for the ipod touch....its the real internet, not some watered down half text based version...

plus you know its going to be seriously hacked, and apple will eventually have to accept it and will provide its own software updates for it....

right now there are already some pretty cool webapps for it, like weather and espn podcasting

but if you just want to listen to music and watch videos, get a large capacity ipod classic or 2nd generation zune

gerikoh
10-14-2007, 01:01 AM
nah, i'd go for a psp!!!

StealthGnome
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
If short on cash, buy a 1st gen Zune. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203171424 Less then $110 shipped.
They will have the same firmware as the newer one available in Nov.
Into videos? Get a 2nd Gen Zune 80GB. 3.2" Screen makes videos bearable.
Music on the go? Get a iPod Classic. Slightly thinner.

iPod Classic Dimensions: 2.4" x 4.1" x .43", 2.5" Screen, 30 Hr Music Battery Life
Zune 2nd Gen Dimensions: 4.2" x 4.25" x .5", 3.2" Screen, 20 Hr Music Battery Life

Both $250. Both great MP3 players.

I would get a Zune because I have a limited music library but plenty of videos.

Edit: Added battery life.