PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a consistent forehand slice or backhand slice hard without it being out?

DarkTennis
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Slice has always been my favorite shot ,but i notice its too much for defence and i wanna make it a weapon to be dealt with besides with its crazy side spins,
like a topspin i want it to have power a low near the net close to baseline hard fast slice shot, my percentage of hitting that is 5% to 0 almost and in occasions i actually hit it the shot feels great mentally and results wise since almost all the time its a near unreturnable shot, key word NEAR
therefore i was wondering is there anyway to hit this shot more consitently like a form like being hit in a close or open stance, foot poistioning, body poistioning? target location around area( front of the body, in level with the body, past the body), and swing movement like a chop, or more curve or more vertical....
if anyone know how to hit this shot consistently fast without making it a floater which flies out of the court it is most appreciated:D

my goal from this is to make the technique in topspin or flat, secound or third to slice and make slice the FIRST main shots used in todays world besides as a trick shot, error making shot, pace changing shot, defecence shot, serving shot, or return serve shot that is used in only circumstances that are to confuse the opponent and act as a secoundary attacking method.
And in making slice a PRIMARY attacking method in fast pace rallies instead of slow ones....:) :-D

shadowz01
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
figure it out by urself ;) ;) ;)

vndesu
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
1. wen yu slice follow through
2. for fun yu can try it but i try aiming at the net
3. iono test out haha

for backhand its more simple but for me id never slice a forehand. haah

ananda
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
i dont see what wrong in a forehand slice if it wins you a point.

if your opponent is on the forehand part of his court, preferably not behind the baseline, and you give a slice (with backspin) to his backhand, no way he's giong to be able to return.
i dont know about pros, but at lower levels even if he reaches to it, its too low to return effectively, if at all he can.

praps a pro who is really fast like Fed or Nadal can get to it, but for the lesser athletes, i think not.

is there a notion that the slice is just not classy ? is it a pride issue? today i licked my pusher partner 6-1, and one secret is that i used his slice back on him. i admit i only used bh slices. i still have some ego issues with fh slices. he slices with both hands, and its all he knows. he knows no other stroke. and his slices skid and die out on the service line.

the only points he won on me were those slices : either way in front of me, or on my bh side roughly parallel to me, but several meters away.
-- newbie.

ananda
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
to address you main point. yes, slices do tend to either float long.

when i look at my pusher slicer partner (he only slices, both hands), he often either nets the ball or it floats long.

in my case, if i bh slice a ball at about knee or waist height i get a nice low curving slice. if its high, the ball tends to fall short with little pace, which is bad if the opponent is athletic.

i do think a closed stance is better, and you have to get the ball before it rises too high (easier said). if you always send it out, then aim for the net (overcompensate).
footwork, the opposite foot in front (usually right).

there are plenty videos showing fed's bh slice, check them out.
this one has a bit towards the middle or end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPaZj4yn00

AceofBase
10-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Forehand slice just tap and slice down at the same time trust me on this one, but make sure the racket head is facing forward above the net not to high or low. This will help make the ball go long and low and not flow. Take some time to master but you'll get it in no time of controlling it. Same goes to backhand.

smoothtennis
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
For good attacking slice, you need to pick the right hight ball to attack. You simply must attack a higher ball to really stick it hard with underspin, and not have it sail long based on the physics involved. The higher the ball, the more pace you can put on it.

You have to slice forward, not just down, and make sure your racket face is oriented for this. Start experiementing.

smoothtennis
10-02-2007, 08:22 AM
One other thing. Hit that slice OUT FRONT, and don't allow the strike or contact zone to drift back too close to the body. That is where the ball will start to sail on you if you are late.

DarkTennis
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Ananda i have no clue what you read but it sortof not at all relating to what i have posted in how to hit a hard slice....

and to smoothtennis thx for the real advice....i sortof tried to do what you have said in the past but maybe timing of it is off somtimes so i get unconsistent slice shots....

by the way the reason i post this is not that i cant hit a slice with both backhand or forehand...its just that i cant hit them hard repetedly.....i think maybe it is a poistioning or form or way i hitting the ball the problem....because like topspin if you hit in a certain way it becomes more consitent so i was wondering was i missing or doing somthing wrong and by this i wanna know how a person would hit a hard consistent slice shot

thx for the reply people:p :p :)

VaBeachTennis
10-02-2007, 12:40 PM
You can start off by trying to hit it as a forehand volley, very little backswing and step into the ball. Smoothtennis was right about hitting it out in front of you as well. A well hit forehand slice, that is hard, hits the ground and skids, is a formidable weapon. Good luck.

NamRanger
10-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Hit well out in front, have a slightly more closed racquet face if you want to make it more flat.

desilvam
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
When I hit my forehand slice similar to my backhand slice, the follow through tends to be awkward (into my body)

I know I just need to practice my forehand slice a bit more against the wall :).

Maybe practicing your slice against the wall is what you need to do also. Its more like experimenting to see what works best for you.

Also, alternate forehand slice and topspin shots against a wall to simulate slicing against topspin.