PDA

View Full Version : What if opponents make contact over net?

Taxvictim
10-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I've searched the rules, but have found no answer to this question.

What happens if a player at the net hits the ball (on his side of the net), and the follow through of his racket makes contact with an opposing player or the opposing player's racket on the other player's side of the net while the ball is still in play? Surely this must happen sometimes in doubles.

LazyAzN
10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Since there is no actual rule that I can find either, I'll see if my opinion stands. If you make contact with the opponent's racquet or the player, that could be considered a hindrance since you've hindered him from getting the ball. Thus, they can call hindrance, thus it becomes a let.

Also, I've never hit the opponent on the opposite side ever :)

tangoll
10-03-2007, 05:56 AM
I haven't look thru the rules either, but on the hindrance opinion, the question is, who's hindering who? If your racquet hits the opponent or his racquet on your follow thru after you've hit the ball, it can be argued that the opponent was trying to hinder your shot by getting in the way of your followthru thereby hindering your stroke, or you held up on your shot when seeing the opponent in the way.

The better option, I think, is just play a let. I've never seen this happen in a singles or doubles match either.

Rpp
10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I would think you will loose by default if you hit your opponent with your racquet...

kevhen
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
You can follow through on the other side of net after striking ball on your side but I think the point would go to the opponent if you struck him while he was on his side of the net just like you lose the point if you strike the net.

Interesting to see if anyone can find an official ruling on this. I think hitting net, ball or opponent on the opposing side and you lose the point.

What if both players are at net and one follows through on an overhead across the net and the opponet also tight to net swings and strikes ball and follow through over the net and racquets collide as both hit overheads just milliseconds apart? Maybe they should change the rule to not allow racquets or body parts to ever cross the plane of the net even on follow-throughs?

samizram
10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Past decisions found that you must make room for your opponent to follow-through over to your side of the net. Otherwise you are hindering his shot. In fact, if the ball is blowing back, he may reach over to your side and hit it. Even then you must give him room or be guilty of hindrance.

If you don't, he wins the point because you hindered his shot.

In other words, the rules NEVER allow you to interfere with your opponent's shot, no matter what.

The point is over before it's his shot, so there is no question of hindering HIM duh.

Of course it's possible that this all just happens too fast for you to move out of his way. In that case, it's just a let for an "involuntary" interference.

But make up whatever rules you like.

Taxvictim
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Past decisions found that you must make room for your opponent to follow-through over to your side of the net. Otherwise you are hindering his shot. In fact, if the ball is blowing back, he may reach over to your side and hit it. Even then you must give him room or be guilty of hindrance.

That makes sense. Same rule as racketball, actually. But what are these "past decisions" you write about?

Rickson
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
The guy volleying should lose the point for standing that damn close to the net!

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
The guy volleying should lose the point for standing that damn close to the net!

Yeah. Why in God's name would someone stand that close?!