PDA

View Full Version : Anyone follow MotoGP/Superbikes?

vkartikv
10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Anyone follow MotoGP or World Superbikes and care to comment on Casey Stoner? Do you think Rossi on a faster bike (Ducati) would have been able to beat Stoner? And what about SBKs going down to the wire? Toseland may not become champion after all! Mad Max can still do it with a little luck.. If you follow any of these two series, do cast your vote.

TheShaun
10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
forget about it. rossi is the man. on the same bike stoner wouldn't have a chance.

PM_revisited
10-02-2007, 11:27 PM
THERE IS NO DOUBT that Mick Doohan is the best there ever was...

Rossi has nothing on him <period>

PM_revisited
10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
and you cannot compare GP to Superbikes, it's like comparing F1 to Nascar.

HyperHorse
10-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Mick Doohan forever... I miss the old 2 stroke days...
Not that im not welcoming a new world champ in the
wonderfully down to earth Casey Stoner...
:-D

justsomeguy
10-03-2007, 05:30 AM
forget about it. rossi is the man. on the same bike stoner wouldn't have a chance.

This is true, however the list on this poll sucks. No Rainey, Schwantz, or Lawson? At least you got Doohan in there.

It is Rossi. His bike is a turd and he will still finish second. Gotta give Stoner more cred than just a fast bike, though. His teammate isn't out there killing everyone.

vkartikv
10-03-2007, 06:01 AM
No way! You can't use the F1-Nascar analogy on Motogp-Superbikes. Superbikes continually produce more thrilling and close races and every single one of the top 10 is equally talented. I knew I'd left someone out, Rainey was a 3 time champion so he should be on the list. Schwantz, I'm not so sure of.

Doohan won all his championships on the best bike available. His wins primarily came by getting a good lead (thanks to a faster bike) and maintaining it. Besides some close calls with Criville I don't remember him being threatened much at all. Atleast Rossi was quick to realise he needed a challenge and moved to a slower Yamaha in 2004 and won first time out...

If you've followed world SBK since the mid 90s, you'd know that Haga is probably the best rider out there yet to win a major title. He has the best racing style I've ever seen.

PM_revisited
10-03-2007, 08:19 AM
No way! You can't use the F1-Nascar analogy on Motogp-Superbikes. Superbikes continually produce more thrilling and close races and every single one of the top 10 is equally talented. I knew I'd left someone out, Rainey was a 3 time champion so he should be on the list. Schwantz, I'm not so sure of.

Doohan won all his championships on the best bike available. His wins primarily came by getting a good lead (thanks to a faster bike) and maintaining it. Besides some close calls with Criville I don't remember him being threatened much at all. Atleast Rossi was quick to realise he needed a challenge and moved to a slower Yamaha in 2004 and won first time out...

If you've followed world SBK since the mid 90s, you'd know that Haga is probably the best rider out there yet to win a major title. He has the best racing style I've ever seen.

V, you have to remember that the Superbike races are close b/c the tech on them are so uniformly the same which equals they're inferior to GP. Nascar races are also similarily close as well due to the same reasons.

Yes, you should of added Eddie Lawson. Rainey's career was cut way too prematurely short due to that devestating slide. If there is one Superbike rider that stands out it has to Scott Russell. I'll never forget this one Daytona race where he wiped out and was like 70 riders behind. He caught them all and still won. But again, remember when he tried to replace Schwantz in the 500-he could not tame those bikes which goes to show how much superior GPs are. Back then, we're talking about 350lb frames that are capable of doing 200mph, insane.

Mich Doohan's Honda's were not necessarily superior to the Lucky Strike Suzuki's Schwantz rode under. Remember they were continually experimenting with fuel injection at the time and the Honda's were only advantageous when they were topping out. Most GP tracks give you small windows each for you to fully top-end it. The nimble Yamahas and stable Suzuki's setups were usually favored to dominate most of these tracks. (Remember the bike cams, you would only see Mick Doohan's bike scream past Schwantz or Rainey during the long straights, only to be over-taken again in the turns). V, you might be thinking of the last couple years with the Honda which Mick Doohan uncontestantly flew ahead of the pack, which I'll give you.

Mich Doohan is the man. This guy rode a full year with a healing broken leg and still won!!! He took more chances than Rossi and if he hadn't broken his leg again who knows how many more championships he'd taken.

vkartikv
10-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Actually the SBK circuits are as competitive-natured as the MotoGP. In fact, the visit Imola, Monza and Brands Hatch which are some of the best in the world. They go to Brno and Assen which are the toughest of the lot, so track comparison doesn't really count here. As for Mick Doohan, I'm not saying he's not great but he is not the GOAT like Rossi. Rossi forced himself into a weak team (like Schumi in Ferrari '96) and Yamaha is what it is today only because of him.

TheShaun
11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
it's been confirmed.... valentino rossi switches to bridgestone tires next year while his team mate will stay with michelin.
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=motoringMotorSportsNews&storyID=2007-11-04T195834Z_01_L04520396_RTRIDST_0_MOTORCYCLING-YAMAHA.XML

CAM178
11-04-2007, 07:19 PM
THERE IS NO DOUBT that Mick Doohan is the best there ever was...

Rossi has nothing on him <period>

Everyone has an opinion, I guess. I've seen both, and to me, Rossi is much more dominant for one reason. When he was killing everyone with Honda, he got bored and decided to go with a bike that everyone felt could never win: Yamaha. And he won. . . on a Yamaha. He has been a world champ 7 (I think, but not sure: I think 125, 250, and 5x in GP) times. Did Doohan accomplish this? But Doohan sure was fun to watch. :-)

Tennis-Chris
11-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Rossi has the history but Casey seems to be the man these days. MotoGP is awesome.:mrgreen:

vkartikv
11-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Rossi has the history but Casey seems to be the man these days. MotoGP is awesome.:mrgreen:

Casey did well this year but you can't even mention his and Rossi's name in the same breath. Who else but Rossi would get bored of having no competition and hence move to a lower team like Yamaha and still pull off 2 championships? Even Roger Federer has nothing on Rossi :)