PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's IW Report

sseemiller
03-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Post deleted

Fat Boy
03-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Well you seem to be having a great time....

But why are the crowds so small? Some great matches have been played in front of empty stands. Blake v Dent, for example.

Any theories?

sseemiller
03-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Yep, Fatboy. It's very, very hot here. And most of the people here are old. As Goran once said, everyone here is 100 to 150, and it's brutal to sit in the stadium at that time of day. Now, some were out watching the Bryans, too. Seb and Arnaud did well to beat them. I guess that was a great match, and foks here love doubles. Many of them play doubles themselves (they are retired, you know), and they like to get tips by watching the pros. But they weren't out watching the Nabredo match. It was the coach, trainer and me who tried to make it through that one, and I didn't succeed myself. And I'm a spring chicken compared to most folks here.

But I think lots of people have chosen not to go to the tennis or have left early, because of the heat. I met one lady on the shuttle, and she said she has to leave at mid-day, go back to the hotel for a bit, and then come back later in the day. This is the hottest it has been here in years.

guernica1
03-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Susan looking at the average age of the crowd at IW almost every player is probably a kid to them, even Pozzi if he still played.

Roddick played very very well last night. Not too many guys would have had a shot against him the way he was serving.