PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to you guys...

jcstennis
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
:) i bought a Gamma x-2, strung my first racquet tonight... it was awesome! I strung a Prince CTS Approach 110 with NRG2 17g. Seriously, i strung the racquet in 1 hour 25 minutes.. for the first time, not bad. No major mistakes... just a bit tricky with the first clamp, i learned the hard way. But i took my time, made sure tension was horizontal, strings were straight, etc... and weaving (push weave) is easier than i thought, and started to move quick... a little rough weaving the x's near the end... and knots were easier than i thought.

Anyway... thanks for all that have been very helpful, informative and patient with us newbies! I will be stringing my personal racquets tomorrow... a bit nervous.;)

shojun25
10-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Gratz about your new stringer! By the way, did you receive like 6 packs of free strings with it?

Multifilaments are really easy strings to string - let's see how you do with polyester ;)

jcstennis
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
thanks!!! more than that...! i got if from another well known on-line site. The bonus pack was 12 packs of assorted Gamma string and different grips and dampeners. most of which i will never use, but hey...

poly! i hope not! ;) i play with Pro Supex Big Ace and was going to experiment with other polys.

what's the poly deal? ... too stiff? hard to move after tensioning? coil memory? stringing fatigue?

shojun25
10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
poly! i hope not! ;) i play with Pro Supex Big Ace and was going to experiment with other polys.

what's the poly deal? ... too stiff? hard to move after tensioning? coil memory? stringing fatigue?

Big Ace shouldn't be too hard to string as its a soft polyester.

Most polyester strings are not as flexible as syn gut or multifilament when you string (and when you play with it). You're just gonna start to dislike weaving because its a pain to do the push weave method. Also, make sure to adjust your clamp when your dealing with poly - just adjust it about 2 notch higher than regular.

jcstennis
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Big Ace shouldn't be too hard to string as its a soft polyester.

Most polyester strings are not as flexible as syn gut or multifilament when you string (and when you play with it). You're just gonna start to dislike weaving because its a pain to do the push weave method. Also, make sure to adjust your clamp when your dealing with poly - just adjust it about 2 notch higher than regular.

what weave... is less than a pain?:)

Why tighten the clamp more with poly? it would seem that the string is stronger/stiffer and would stay true under pressure... or is it the opposite, it wants to keep strong and resists the clamps pressure?

thanks for the insight!

jcstennis
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
plus, i will mostly be stringing one piece... is that more difficult with poly (in general)?

Steve Huff
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
1 Piece??? Make sure you string the crosses from top to bottom. You may need to learn an Around-the-World pattern to do that 1 piece. If it's hard to clamp, you need to loosen the clamp, not tighten it. You'll crush the string if you have to force the clamp closed.

BreakPoint
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
1 Piece??? Make sure you string the crosses from top to bottom. You may need to learn an Around-the-World pattern to do that 1 piece. If it's hard to clamp, you need to loosen the clamp, not tighten it. You'll crush the string if you have to force the clamp closed.
Why does one piece have to be strung top to bottom for the crosses? On a nCode 90, the last main puts the string at the bottom so I have no choice to string the crosses from bottom to top, right? I mean, what choice do I have?

Pusher
10-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Why does one piece have to be strung top to bottom for the crosses? On a nCode 90, the last main puts the string at the bottom so I have no choice to string the crosses from bottom to top, right? I mean, what choice do I have?

For me, I don't like the bottom to top cross stringing. Tying off that string at the top makes the tension a little inconsistent. I'd rather have that inconsistency at the bottom of the frame.
Like Steve said, you can learn the ATW pattern or simply using the 2 piece method. I like the 2 piece method because you're dealing with less string and its necessary if you string hybrids.

BurghKing
10-04-2007, 04:28 AM

Some racquet manufacturers claim that tying off the crosses at the head puts too much strees on that part of racquet. They claim that tying off the crosses at the throat is better because there is more material to better handle the stress. I have never had a problem with my racquets, or my customers, by tying of at the head. However, I am sure some people will disagree with me and say you should not do it.

jcstennis
10-04-2007, 04:35 AM

that's what i figured, don't clamp too tight, never over-tighten!

And yes, my string pattern is cross from top to bottom.;)

Thanks Steve!

Bubba
10-04-2007, 05:56 AM

That is correct for the K/N 90's. Other frames differ. 18 Main patterns would *generally* result in a top to bottom pattern for the crosses due to where the mains finish. Likewise, a 14 main pattern would also provide for a top to bottom cross approach on a 1-piece pattern.

HOWEVER - easy enough to solve. Just string as a two piece and you can start the crosses at the top on a 90... it's what I do (though I hybrid)

samster
10-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Probably a non-issue unless you string your racket very tight.