Play about a 2 with spikes to a 3+
Hitting a lot with a tennis ball machine 4-6 times a week on the court
Was using Sensation at 59lbs
Play: A lot of Topspin
Improving rapidly w/ Tennis ball machine
Sensation is only good for 20 minutes and then turns to a very beat up
rough mess that breaks in a few sessions

What I would like,
A string that does not ride around all over the place so I have to adjust all the time
One that has some feel and some power, not too much power.
tension, clueless on where I should go?
Cost not too worried about it

Micky
10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Im a noob so please keep that in mind,
Ok using a Wilson NTour 2 105

What I would like,
A string that does not ride around all over the place so I have to adjust all the time

Hola tntmail,

Babolat Hurricane Pro Tour. And if you want you can hybrid with Conquest or Excel.

Steve Huff
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I, too, would go with a Poly (PH Tour is just 1 that I would consider. Others would be Pro Supex Big Ace which doesn't move around as much as PHT. Or, Signum Poly Pro Plasma 1.28). I'd string it with a synthetic in the crosses. Tension--about 56-57 if hybrid, or 53-54 if all poly.

vndesu
10-03-2007, 11:17 PM
id try a hybrid setup
pro hurricanes or pro hurricanes tour(tour is a lil more stiff)
with natural gut.
if yu dont feel like spending money go with luxion alu power rough yu'll love it.

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-04-2007, 12:41 AM
oops. . .sorry

tntmail
10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Going to try first the following. I think I understand the suggestions?

Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 String @57 Verticals
Babolat Conquest 16 String White @57 Crosses

2nd Racquest

Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 String @57 Vertical
Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String @57 Crosses

Then I'll move on to some of the others suggestions. Some I could not find.

Thanks,
Troy

pmata814
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
My only concern would be that if you are new to tennis you're bound to have flaws in your technique. Technique flaws and poly strings (as suggested above) don't go well together. I'm afraid you might end up hurting your arm. I guess you could try it and if you start feeling discomfort then you could switch back again.

Maybe you could try a more comfortable string until you develop your strokes a little more. If durability is a problem [with multis] then try a softer synthetic gut like Prince Synthetic Gut w/duraflex or Babolat Superfine Play. Babolat Conquest is also nice. They do move around a little but not too much IMO.

vinnier6
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
i would try a full poly set up first strung in the mid to upper 50's and see if you like that...polys are great as they dont move and still play well if they loose their tension...hard to break is a plus as well...

LES
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Another vote for poly hybrid. My first poly hybrid was PHT mains with Gosen OG Micro crosses. I am sold on poly. I used to hybrid with gut and I'll never go back to that again. One of these days I might hybrid gut with poly just to see what its about.
BTW I hate Sensation too. It just went dead and played like crap. At first I thought it was my frame and mistakenly sold it before I realized it was the strings

shojun25
10-05-2007, 06:53 AM
If you are a beginner, I would not start off with polyester set ups, unless it is very soft poly. So far, I am leaning towards Gamma Tnt2, Head FXP, Prince Syn Gut Multifilament, and Yonex Tour 850 Feel. All these strings comfortable in the arm (since you are just starting out, you will need a working arm in later years), have a soft, crisp feel, and offers a good amount of power. Since most are multifilament, they are exeptional at tension retention.

If you are making a lot of topspin, then your strings WILL move. Adjusting strings back in their original place to gain "better playability" is just a myth. Well, it will probably affect playability, but in a very miniscule amount. People fix their strings to calm their nerves during a real game.

tntmail
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
If you are a beginner, I would not start off with polyester set ups, unless it is very soft poly. So far, I am leaning towards Gamma Tnt2, Head FXP, Prince Syn Gut Multifilament, and Yonex Tour 850 Feel. All these strings comfortable in the arm (since you are just starting out, you will need a working arm in later years), have a soft, crisp feel, and offers a good amount of power. Since most are multifilament, they are exeptional at tension retention.

If you are making a lot of topspin, then your strings WILL move. Adjusting strings back in their original place to gain "better playability" is just a myth. Well, it will probably affect playability, but in a very miniscule amount. People fix their strings to calm their nerves during a real game.

Are you saying doing an entire stringing with
Gamma TNT2 or the others you mentioned. How many lbs?

Valjean
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
In your case, given all that work with a machine, I'd recommend a fairly stiff multi for it. Wilson's Reaction would do fine, I'd say.

LES
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Why worry about tennis elbow unless you currently get tennis elbow from playing tennis. I never got TE from using poly but once my wrist had a sharp pain after demoing a BPD. I just stopped using it and it went away after a few weeks.

The NTour Two has a stiffness rating of 62. That's not that stiff at all. The poly is not going to be stiff like a frame that's already stiff. Just lower the tension and hybrid with a softer string.

Unfortunately if you hate Sensation because it loses tension quickly, polys tend to do the same.

You want less movement? That's poly. You can try stringing higher with another multi
Feel, power but not too much power? With poly you can string it lower but still get control. So it's less power, but you can hit it harder and still control it. So in essence it's more power. If you stick with multi and you string higher to gain control you'll lose feel.
Tension? For poly go for a 10% lower tension.

I think it depends on what kind of feeling you want. If you want the power to come from a trampoline feeling or 'cupping' the ball then stick with gut or multis. But if you want the power from smacking the ball (like baseball) then use poly.

tntmail
10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
You folks knowledge of tennis string amazes me. I think I'm starting to understand the differences in strings. I think Im going to get a stringer so I can do some experimenting

Gonna show my noob'ness and see if I got some of it.

Natural Gut for Feel and Control but expensive and short life
Poly for Pop! and Power, less expensive but loses tension quickly, but requires
excellent technique, may be for better player
Synthetic Gut for feel with better life
Multi for ?

j30tennis
10-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Just strung my LE os rad with NTX 16 at 60. Very curious to see what happens. Any thoughts on tension and string for a non string breaker, mostly flat player, 4.0.

LES
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
You folks knowledge of tennis string amazes me. I think I'm starting to understand the differences in strings. I think Im going to get a stringer so I can do some experimenting

Multi for ?

Somewhat correct but you're a little off. The thing about different strings is they feel different so I think its more important that to match the string with your preferred playing style and the kind of racquet you want to use. It's all about trying to balance power & control. Then cost & durability also plays into it.

Gut & poly are different strategies. Do you want to get more power from a low powered frame or do you want to control a powerful frame? Do you like playing with high tension or low tension?

Synthetic gut was designed to imitate gut but as technology got better they came out with multis. So multi's are closer to imitating gut than syn gut. It's also more expensive.

Gmedlo
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Multi for ?

Gut not lasting a long time is a myth created by the use of crappy gut. Although it isn't as durable as poly, it still lasts longer than almost all multis and synthetic gut, and it will hold tension better than any other string (the true test of durability, in my opinion)

As far as poly goes, it really depends on what you want. There are low-powered polys as well as high-powered, but they will still have less feel than most other strings (even $3 syngut). Polys are also geared towards higher-level players, and for a beginner hitting on a ball machine, I don't think you would want to be taking the huge swings poly requires.

Synthetic guts are good all-around strings, but since you want more durability and less power, a stiff/durability multi fits well. I recommend Head RIP control or Tecnifibre multifeel.

Also, consider getting a stringer, even if it's just a cheap dropweight. You'll be able to experiment more freely and you won't have to rely on the opinions of other people on an internet board. Find what you play the best with and stick with it (as long as it doesn't hurt to play with it! ;) )

LES
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Gut not lasting a long time is a myth created by the use of crappy gut. Although it isn't as durable as poly, it still lasts longer than almost all multis and synthetic gut, and it will hold tension better than any other string (the true test of durability, in my opinion)
As far as poly goes, it really depends on what you want. There are low-powered polys as well as high-powered, but they will still have less feel than most other strings (even $3 syngut). Polys are also geared towards higher-level players, and for a beginner hitting on a ball machine, I don't think you would want to be taking the huge swings poly requires.

Synthetic guts are good all-around strings, but since you want more durability and less power, a stiff/durability multi fits well. I recommend Head RIP control or Tecnifibre multifeel.

Also, consider getting a stringer, even if it's just a cheap dropweight. You'll be able to experiment more freely and you won't have to rely on the opinions of other people on an internet board. Find what you play the best with and stick with it (as long as it doesn't hurt to play with it! ;) )

I agree with what he says about gut. I used to use gut or gut / syn gut hybrid exclusively and the gut maintains it's playability pretty much until it breaks. I only strung 3 - 4 times a year. Recently, I switched to poly / syn gut hybrid. I often cut my strings out before it breaks cause it feels dead after a while. For me it only lasts 2-3 weeks.

However, I don't know why people say poly is for advanced players though. My wife is a 2.5 beginner and she has 2 LM Instincts. I strung one with a multi & one with poly / syn gut hybrid. She chose the poly even though she doesn't even know what it is. She also chose Lux BB Power over Pro Hurricane.

Even though you are a beginner just try out a bunch of different stuff and use whatever you like the feel of. Nobody can tell you what you like. I don't agree that poly has less 'feel' than syn gut because I think 'feel' is subjective.

But I agree that RIP Control is a good string to try. I loved it in the LM Instinct. My wife didn't like it so much though. But she liked it better than Sensation. Even though its a multi I think its made of poly materials so its less springy and the texture helps with spin. But you have to hit with topspin already to see this.

And I agree that you should invest in a stringer if you plan to make tennis a regular thing. You can experiment with different strings and tensions and really find something that suits you.

KFwinds
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
You guys do mean "NXT", right?

tntmail
10-07-2007, 05:42 AM
You guys do mean "NXT", right?
NXT Yepp'rrr

tntmail
10-07-2007, 05:46 AM

Thanks, I was curious why no pro uses Technifibre w/ all the Tech I saw in the posted video. Seems like a serious company about string. Unless they are a MFG for others to OEM.

Yes on the stringer. I may get the SPartner I saw on this forum. The electric one.

tntmail
10-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Do you want to get more power from a low powered frame or do you want to control a powerful frame? Do you like playing with high tension or low tension?

Can you elaborate on how you separate a low power frame from a high power one? Where do you devide?

LES
10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Can you elaborate on how you separate a low power frame from a high power one? Where do you devide?

If you look at the racquet descriptions on TW they usually list their power level. I think it's just something which correlates to stiffness and weight. Light n stiff = higher power. Heavy n flexible = low power. Head size also affects power. Larger = more power.

If you are using an NCode Ntour 2, then according to TW your racquet is low-medium power.

tntmail
10-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Darn they messed up my restring and did the wrong thing. They put on KGut 16 at 59. Anyone with experience on this?

LPShanet
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Im a noob so please keep that in mind,
Ok using a Wilson NTour 2 105

What I would like,

OK, am I the only one here who is a bit surprised/confused by the idea of a 2.0 level player breaking strings (of ANY kind) regularly in "a few sessions" (even with those occasional wild bursts up the 3.0 level)???? Something seems wrong here, though without further info it would be hard to determine exactly what it is.

(That said, there are many multifilament strings that fray a lot after a bit of playing but don't actually break. NXT is one of them. It should be noted that this doesn't mean it won't keep playing perfectly well. So if you're fraying the strings, but not actually snapping them, don't worry about it, and keep playing.)

Tell us more about yourself...young/old, strong/powerful vs. more of a touch player, etc.

Polys definitely won't fray, and they won't move as much as nylon at the same tension, but can be hard on the arm and generally speaking are much lower powered than what you're using. Still, with a big (105) racquet, you may be fine trying them out...but you will feel a big difference in the way it plays. Otherwise, there are many good nylon strings out there that you can try, which won't fray. Anything with a center core, really. Babolat FiberTour, OG Sheep Micro, any of the Prince Synthetic Guts, etc.

Since you're hitting against a ball machine a lot, and that means you're hitting a LOT of balls in a short amount of time, you want to make sure you protect your arm from the repeated beating. That means you may want to try other strings first before polys, since they can be hard on the arm at times.

tntmail
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Darn they messed up my restring and did the wrong thing. They put on KGut 16 at 59. Anyone with experience on this?

Picked up and hit some serves, so far this actually hits pretty nice.

Just ordered a backup racquet with

Alu Power Big Banger 16
and Technifibre NRG on the crosses. Apparently TFibre makes a lot Wilson's string.