PDA

View Full Version : Using both legs on serve?

cukoo
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
When serving I think that I use too much and of my left leg. I'm a righty btw. When in the "archer bow position" almost all the power in in the left leg. And also, after a serve practice session, my left leg would hurt/sore more than my left.

Is this normal for righties to use the left leg more? How can I balance the weight/power distribution more?

Thanks

Bottle Rocket
10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Most everything your legs put into your serve should come from your left foot, if you're right-handed. This includes the push upwards and forwards as well as the landing. Doesn't sound like you're doing much wrong. Then again, if your leg actually hurts after a practice session, there must be something going on.

What is the archer bow position?

cukoo
10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Bottle, thanks, its good to know that its normal to use more left leg on the serve. So do (right-handed)pros usually have a larger left leg muscles?

Also, I first learn of the archer bow position here
http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/step12-2holistic.html
It does seem to make sense...
http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/Serve/bow/bowmontage.jpg

cukoo
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
bump .....

wihamilton
10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
You need to push off both legs. On top of pushing off / up into the court, your back leg also helps "push" your body from facing sideways to facing the net. In other words, use your back leg to help you rotate around toward the net when you swing.

Fedace
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
You need to push off both legs. On top of pushing off / up into the court, your back leg also helps "push" your body from facing sideways to facing the net. In other words, use your back leg to help you rotate around toward the net when you swing.

You are right. is this same in a pinpoint stance serve ??

wihamilton
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
You are right. is this same in a pinpoint stance serve ??

Yes. It doesn't matter how you stand. If you look at the pros, they always have their back leg kicked up into the air. It kicks like this because they use it to help rotate their bodies around on top of pushing up / into the court -- this is how the back leg "follows through," so to speak.

cukoo
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
wilhamilton,

Is it okay if you use one leg more than the other?

wihamilton
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
wilhamilton,

Is it okay if you use one leg more than the other?

Well, as I said before, you use them a little differently. The front leg is responsible for pushing up more / the back leg is responsible for the lower body's contribution to the overall body rotation. But you want to try and get as much as you can out of each leg -- or any other body part, for that matter -- when serving.

elee3
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
When serving I think that I use too much and of my left leg. I'm a righty btw. When in the "archer bow position" almost all the power in in the left leg. And also, after a serve practice session, my left leg would hurt/sore more than my left.

Is this normal for righties to use the left leg more? How can I balance the weight/power distribution more?

Thanks

I don't know about normal but I'm a righty and used a pin point serve in high school so used my left slightly more on serves. After college I began to notice that my left leg would get really sore etc like you said. Being a righty I thought it was pretty stupid to be using my left foot more on serves so I changed to a platform serve to balance out my left and right leg usage on the serve. No more left leg issues since.

As for professional advice I've heard on the issue according to the pro on www.fuzzyyellowballs.com (serve video part 3) you want to balance left and right leg. The one advice I heard that really got me to balance both legs and change to platform stance to help my leg issues was from a video clip of andy roddick's coach on andy's service. In the clip he basically says to get the most power out of the service you want to use as much as you can from both of your legs.

The only difference I felt was that after matchs my left leg wasn't dead and my right was okay. Now I feel okay in both legs. There wasn't any big difference in the speed or spin of my serve. My opponents did comment that it was far harder to figure out what I was going to serve and where I was going to serve after the changes. I think it might have to do that they were use to seeing me hit with a left foot heavy pinpoint versus a balanced platform stance.