PDA

View Full Version : so i strung with wilson sensation 16 last night at 71-72 lbs.

hyogen
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
overnight how much will it have lost tension? I use a gamma progression 2 string machine .

and is it bad to leave it in my trunk in garage? and cool weather in the parking lot during work?

By the time I play tonight, what will the tension be u think? I hear sensation loses tension fast :x

bsandy
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the "loses tension fast" has to do with hitting it, rather than sitting, overnight.

. . . Bud

gsquicksilver
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
damn that's tight. i remember stringing my ps85 once at 70 pounds and boy did that thing feel like a board.

hope you don't get any arm pain from that tension.

LES
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
How does it play? I tried 65 lbs once and I thought it felt like a board.

hyogen
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
well we'll see tonight. I feel that I can't get enough top spin without high tensions.

TennezSport
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
According to the USRSA tests, Wilson Sensation lost approximately 11.55lbs in the first 200 seconds after stringing (reference tension was 62lbs) and after hitting 5 times at the force of a 120mph serve. Tension loss is the result of the relaxation over time and impact.

TennezSport :cool:

Teh_pwnerer
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
11 lbs? and why?!

LES
10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I found that Sensation suddenly goes dead instead after a while

Bubba
10-05-2007, 05:48 AM
well we'll see tonight. I feel that I can't get enough top spin without high tensions.

This is odd... lower tension produces increased dwell time = production of spin.

TennezSport
10-05-2007, 06:01 AM
11 lbs? and why?!

Teh_pwnerer,

This was the test result right after stringing and hitting 5 times at the force of a 120mph serve. Tension loss is the result of the relaxation over time and impact due to the elastisicity and elongation of the string material. Part of the strings playing characteristics. It's what makes the string so soft feeling.

hyogen
10-05-2007, 08:29 AM
OK, I have news........I broke my strings after just 2 sets yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was against pretty soft hitting 3.5 players too. wow! I have one of those manual stringing machines...not electronic. The Gamma Progression II.

I strung the TT warrior MP at about 5lbs higher than the recommended ...around 72lbs. for the crosses I set it at about 70lbs. Sensation 16--which had been lying around for a little while.

Any ideas? I was trying to hit with a fair amount of topspin... I was hitting pretty well too.. Very good touch and feel both at net and groundies. I felt I didn't have as much of a snap on my serves though.

Keep in mind, I just strung it the night before!!! D:

TennezSport
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
OK, I have news........I broke my strings after just 2 sets yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was against pretty soft hitting 3.5 players too. wow! I have one of those manual stringing machines...not electronic. The Gamma Progression II.
I strung the TT warrior MP at about 5lbs higher than the recommended ...around 72lbs. for the crosses I set it at about 70lbs. Sensation 16--which had been lying around for a little while.
Any ideas? I was trying to hit with a fair amount of topspin... I was hitting pretty well too.. Very good touch and feel both at net and groundies. I felt I didn't have as much of a snap on my serves though.
Keep in mind, I just strung it the night before!!! D:

Hyogen,

A few questions. Did the string break in the center of the racquet or near the frame??? If near the frame, this could be due to shearing (string snaps because the ball contact was too close to the frame).

If centered, did the string seem frayed (fuzzy) at the breaking point, or did it look like a clean snap??? If fuzzy, it is most likely from the topspin (ball and string against string sawing at contact).

When you say "which had been lying around for a little while", what does that mean; how long; where (exposed to sunlight) and was it in the protective covering??? Also, are the clamps on your machine too tight for the gauge of this string???

Any of these things can shorten the life of the strings.

hyogen
10-05-2007, 10:35 AM
My dad knows more about my stringing machine than I do. the strings broke in the center, but more near the top of the racquet where the sweet spot is.

It was a clean break. I wasn't aware that Sensation had that fuzzy stuff inside. (like NRG2). I just cut up the strings..

I think I may have made a couple errors while stringing...like clamping the strings with the little prongs, but not tightening that down to the machine itself (resulting in me having to re-tension that string).

Also, it's possible that those clamps are a little too tight for 16 gauge string. I will try it again today :o

kirbster123
10-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Sensation has awful durability, it would last around 30 mins of hitting at 72 lbs, maybe less.

hyogen
10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
so what tension should I set it at? 67? :o

With my Gamma Progression II I think I lose a little bit of tension from the get go--maybe not.

nickb
10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
72lbs wont be that tight on a crank machine....I use 64lbs on my crank and 52lbs on a babolat sensor.

hyogen
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
so what does 72lb equate to on a crank machine? once you finish stringing it?

Richie Rich
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
sensation is an all around bad string. these days, there are so many better strings for the same price.

hyogen
10-05-2007, 01:55 PM
can you give me some examples for strings around the same price? $6 or so for sensation right?

I've tried NRG2, prince topspin, some new Babolat multifilament...etc.

I would imagine that 17 gauge sensation would be even less durable :(

hyogen
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
so i strung 2 of the same racquet with sensation at about 64lbs on a crank. (on TT warriors MP).

I played with them and had a hard time getting any topspin/kick on my serves and groundstrokes D:

Richie Rich
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
can you give me some examples for strings around the same price? $6 or so for sensation right?

I've tried NRG2, prince topspin, some new Babolat multifilament...etc.

I would imagine that 17 gauge sensation would be even less durable :(

wilson reaction, which is on sale now at TW, is a much better string for the same price

Steve Huff
10-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Without ever hitting, in 24 hrs, the string will lose approx. 13%.

0d1n
10-11-2007, 05:02 AM
I found that Sensation suddenly goes dead instead after a while

It never happened to me...but that's because IT BREAKS TO DAMN QUICKLY...it can't go dead THAT quickly ;).
Not a bad string from a "playability" point of view, but only slower/flat hitters with 18x20 string patterns could possibly get satisfying durability out of it (in my experience). You can find much better strings with just A LITTLE BIT more money.

lakis92
10-11-2007, 05:34 AM
A string job usually loses 10% of its original tension in 24 hours after stringing.