PDA

View Full Version : Flying balls

Serpententacle
10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I've been having lots of trouble with my two-handed backhand, left hand on bottom, using my APDC... it used to be my best sided shot. I hit it flat, and always have.

Lately, though, the ball, when hit flat, either hits the bottom of the net or takes-off and hits the back fence!!! This is unacceptable, and I am having a huge problem fixing it! I don't think it's my racquet, b/c my shot from the two-handed forehand (left hand on bottom, flat as well) has improved with this racquet. The string, if it matters, is nat gut 16, strung at approx. 60lbs.

Any advice on how I can rein in this shot?

Diable
10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe you can try bending your knees more on your backhand.
Or try hitting the ball earlier.
Good luck

Bundey
10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Work on the low to high motion. My two hander sucks too. I really want to start practicing on dipping it in with topspin, but all I do is chop it back.

Slazenger
10-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Use more topspin till you find the proper timing and then you can start to reduce it slowly till you get the trajectory you want.

Serpententacle
10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Great advice. I do find if I try to hit my backhand with topspin, it has a greater chance of landing in, but just doesn't have the pace I want from using a "flat shot". I do try to bend my knees.

I don't go to much low to high. I modelled my two-hander on Connors as a youth, and had no problem (until the new racquet)... now, at 30, it's wild and I lost the groove (and perhaps energy).

Could it be that I need to take more time getting "used" to my racquet? I get a little over zealous, just itching to rip every shot.

godprint
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
hi guys, i noticed something...

prolong practicing of 1 particular stroke usually means my other stroke weakens...

how can i rectify thaT? hahaha... for instance, i tried to keep my head still for my backhand...and focus on low to high (c-swing etc) ...but i can't seem to do the same for my forehand...

any tips? both my fore & back hand uses a more typical C-swing kind of thing. double bend.

but i jus can't seem to keep my head still for the forehand...

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Also, follow-thru is VITAL. I find that when the ball usually flies, unless someone is beyond 4.5 rating, 80% of the time the it's because one doesn't follow all the way through the shot, and/or your not keeping you hind foot planted long enough. It's all about footwork and follw-thru.

Serpententacle
10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I think I'm on the right track now. I noticed that on my 2hd forehand, I'm coming over the ball, and there's what I think is called a "windshield wiper" motion. That shot is pretty spot-on (and has never really been before until the APD). And the aforemetioned 2hd backhand I complained about to start this thread... yesterday, I tried to come over the ball more, rather than flat-shot it... and it was lifting fast and striking the court with feriocity. The "coming over" the ball is working. It's just a little trying, b/c I'm not accustomed to the topspin motion from that side.

Who would have thought? I never dreamed of using topspin. It's fun to wind up and rip the ball. You can swing as hard as you want, and it will still dip in. It's great and feels bloody good. Great for stress relief, and improves my game.