PDA

View Full Version : Naughty girl-Marion Jones confesses to doping

anointedone
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/263752

Marion Jones admits doping before 2000 Games

Marion Jones admitted using steroids before the 2000 Olympics in a recent letter to close family and friends, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Jones, who won five medals in Sydney, said she took "the clear" for two years, beginning in 1999, and that she got it from former coach Trevor Graham, who told her it was flaxseed oil, the newspaper reported.

"The clear" is a performance-enhancing drug linked to BALCO, the lab at the centre of a federal steroids investigation. Until now, Jones had steadfastly denied she ever took any kind of performance-enhancing drugs.

Jones also said she will plead guilty Friday in New York to two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter, the Post reported.

"I want to apologize for all of this," the Post reported, quoting a person who received a copy of the letter and read it to the paper. "I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."

The admission could cost Jones the medals from the Sydney Olympics, where she was one of the United States' brightest stars. Though she fell short of her goal of winning five gold medals, she came away with three and two bronzes.

But her career has been tarnished since then by doping allegations. In her letter, Jones said she lied when she was questioned in 2003 by federal agents investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. Jones said she panicked when agents presented her with a sample of "the clear," which she recognized as the substance Graham had given her.

In the letter, Jones said she didn't realize she'd used a performance-enhancing drug until she stopped training with Graham at the end of 2002.

"Red flags should have been raised when he told me not to tell anyone," the Post reported, quoting the letter.

anointedone
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
So now she is at the point she admits she was doped, and lied about it for years including to grand jury. However she is still claiming she didnt do it knowingly (yeah right). Atleast she is willing to tell most of the truth now.

jmsx521
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Was that the same guy who was her husband?

anointedone
10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Was that the same guy who was her husband?

No. Her husband was the shot putter C.J Hunter.

goober
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
No. Her husband was the shot putter C.J Hunter.

who was also a doper

Seriously- flax seed oil? Isn't that same excuse Barry Bonds used?

alwaysatnet
10-05-2007, 07:01 AM
After this Jones case is wrapped up it was reported that the feds will next turn their attention on our man Barry "The Unnatural" Bonds.
Flax seed oil indeed. I can't wait to see Barry tap dance his way out of this.

ananda
10-05-2007, 08:38 AM
i think everyone has known all along that US sprinters have been using performance enhancing drugs for quite a while. that includes Florence Griffith Joyner (who smartly retired immediately after clearing a test, and later died), Carl Lewis, and all those who followed.
Most of these have actually been caught for minor violations like using diuretics and masking agents (or claiming their cold medication had something in it) and either been suspended for v short periods or just let off rather easily. Another name comes up, Butch Reynolds.

it usually starts with their swearing to God that they never doped, and wanting to sue the IAAF (or whatever) due to emotional devastation etc, and then finally years later they admit it.

FuriousYellow
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I feel sorry for her teammates who were on the 1600m relay. They may end up losing their gold medals as a result of this.

ananda
10-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I feel sorry for her teammates who were on the 1600m relay. They may end up losing their gold medals as a result of this.
sorry to be so -ive. but what makes you so sure they were clean.

alwaysatnet
10-05-2007, 10:12 AM
i think everyone has known all along that US sprinters have been using performance enhancing drugs for quite a while. that includes Florence Griffith Joyner (who smartly retired immediately after clearing a test, and later died), Carl Lewis, and all those who followed.
Most of these have actually been caught for minor violations like using diuretics and masking agents (or claiming their cold medication had something in it) and either been suspended for v short periods or just let off rather easily. Another name comes up, Butch Reynolds.

it usually starts with their swearing to God that they never doped, and wanting to sue the IAAF (or whatever) due to emotional devastation etc, and then finally years later they admit it.That's a very broad brush you are using to smear an entire group. I wasn't aware that Carl Lewis and Florence Griffith Joyner had been convicted of doping. Where is your proof?
What about Michael Johnson,Edwin Moses,ect.?
Maybe you should rethink your accusations until you have more than just your prejudices to go on.

Dave M
10-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Biggest problem is the lack of consistency between governing bodies in their punishments and how long they last.I can't remember the athlete but I was in Miami in '96 just before the Atlanta games, an American sprinter was caught with a masking agent in his system after he missed a drug test.The US athletics people banned him for the same period of time as was left in the run up to the Olympics so he could still compete whilst they could say they punished him, which I thought was shocking.The UK athletics board banned two athletes a female sprinter and a male tri-athlete (think that's correct-can't find the article)because they missed 2 or 3 tests over a period of 2 years.Apparantly they were both "tested clean" within 24 hours or so each time.However if you miss 3 tests you get banned and if you are banned for a drug offence then you have an automatic ban from all Olympic competitions!I think they'll probably appeal but it sends out the right message don't you think?

jmsx521
10-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I feel sorry for her teammates who were on the 1600m relay. They may end up losing their gold medals as a result of this.If they were clean, then the IAAF can use a new method that has never been done before; they cut quarter of each medal's gold, so that the other three runners can retain their prize and exclude the fourth-one that didn't deserve it.

FuriousYellow
10-05-2007, 11:49 PM
After this Jones case is wrapped up it was reported that the feds will next turn their attention on our man Barry "The Unnatural" Bonds.
Flax seed oil indeed. I can't wait to see Barry tap dance his way out of this.

Yeah, I wonder if Barry is stressing over what Marion Jones may have told them in exchange for a reduced prison sentence.

ananda
10-06-2007, 12:11 AM
That's a very broad brush you are using to smear an entire group. I wasn't aware that Carl Lewis and Florence Griffith Joyner had been convicted of doping. Where is your proof?
What about Michael Johnson,Edwin Moses,ect.?
Maybe you should rethink your accusations until you have more than just your prejudices to go on.
i admit having made broad accusations. nope, i did not include edwin moses in that list. but yes, we dont know how deep it goes and how far back.

i don;t intend smearing a group, but lets just say its my opinion. i was a track athlete, saw a lot of drugs being used. high enough numbers for you to really wonder about the few left.

many respected people (cant recall now, UK athlete, Linford Christie), tall, african origin, even he was charged and admitted but got let off with a light sentence.
in many cases the sentence is such that you can compete in the next Olympics.

Did you follow FloJo's career? How from an also ran, she suddenly began running men;s timings. and then retired suddenly.
Had Ben Johnson retired after his '87 world record (iirc) i dont think anyone would have known what he was into.
I know thats not proof, but this is no court either.

its long back, i can't remember about Carl Lewis exactly. fine, if you are offended i take it back.
but i still maintain that many went undetected. how many and how far back, we will never know.
US drug programs are way ahead of detection techniques. people in the IAAF have said that.

max
10-06-2007, 07:43 AM
You know, for me the Floyd Landis thing, for some reason, hit me pretty deep.

This hurts as well for some reason. I'm going to give up on following the major leaguers, and concentrate more on the minor leaguers, amateurs, local folks.

Forget this nitpicking about whether or not the rules make sense: it's a matter of honesty in competition, in respect for what you're doing: the sport, the competition. . . and respect for your opponents and audiences.

J-man
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
It's a damn shame. I guess it was the right thing to do to admit to it, but it ruined her career. Her life will never be the same.

malakas
10-06-2007, 10:57 AM
It's a shame.I hope they remove her medals.

goober
10-06-2007, 11:04 AM
I can't say I feel sorry for her in any way considering how vigorously she denied using roids. She even sued Victor Conte for $25 million and forced him to spend a lot of money defending himself.

anointedone
10-06-2007, 04:21 PM
It looks like the IOC has a pickle on their hands regarding one of her golds, the one in the marquee event of all she won, the womens 100 metre gold, should she be stripped of her medals:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/10/07/sohart107.xml

Ekaterini Thanou in line for Marion Jones's gold

By Simon Hart

The International Olympic Committee are to explore their legal options in an attempt to avoid the humiliation of having to hand over an Olympic gold medal to the disgraced Greek sprinter, Katerina Thanou, in the wake Marion Jones's dramatic confession that she took an illegal steroid before the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Jones, who won three gold and two bronzes medals in Sydney, pleaded guilty in a New York district court on Friday to lying to federal investigators when she originally told them she had never used performance-enhancing drugs.

In court, Jones read out a statement confirming that before the start of the Sydney Games she had taken THG, the designer steroid at the heart of the BALCO doping conspiracy.

Her admission, which had been given advance publicity in the form of a letter to friends and family that had found its way into the Washington Post newspaper, means the American will inevitably be stripped of her Sydney medals since it falls within the IOC's eight-year statute of limitations for drug offences.

Normally, those athletes who finished behind her in Sydney would expect to be elevated one place on the podium, but the nightmare facing the IOC is that the runner-up behind Jones in the 100 metres was Thanou, who was responsible for one of the biggest doping scandals in Olympic history at the Athens Games four years later.

However, it is understood that the IOC are already taking legal advice about the options open to them after Jones loses her medals and it is by no means certain that the Greek will be promoted.

"You shouldn't take it for granted that it's an automatic thing that Marion Jones gives her medal back and everyone else moves up," said an insider.

Despite their reluctance to reward a convicted dope cheat, it is hard to see how they can avoid it because Thanou was not guilty of any doping offence in 2000 and would therefore argue that she was fully entitled to receive the 100m gold.

If the IOC fail to find a legal loophole, they will be in the invidious position of having to hand a medal to the woman who, along with fellow Greek athlete Kostas Kenteris, tarnished the Athens Olympics by missing a drugs test the night before the opening ceremony and then allegedly faking a motorbike accident.

The pair were eventually forced to withdraw from the Games and later served two-year bans for missing three dope tests. They both still face a perjury trial in Greece for allegedly giving false statements about the crash and encouraging medical staff at an Athens hospital to issue false certificates.

Thanou returned to international action at the European Championships in Birmingham in March, but was booed when she was introduced to the crowd. She did not compete at this summer's World Championships in Osaka.

Dick Pound, the president of the World Anti-Doping Agency, admitted that rewarding the Greek would be a regrettable by-product of Jones's confession. "That's one of the disagreeable aspects," said Pound. "That will be hard to swallow."

J-man
10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
It's a shame.I hope they remove her medals.They are going to.

jmsx521
10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
When are they going to start the steroid Olympics, where athletes can take all kinds of chemicals in their bodies, without restrictions? You'll see track runners running the 100 under 5 sec.

anointedone
10-06-2007, 06:33 PM
When are they going to start the steroid Olympics, where athletes can take all kinds of chemicals in their bodies, without restrictions? You'll see track runners running the 100 under 5 sec.

I didnt realize that wasnt already what they had. :p The key is simply to not get caught. If you are one of the rare ones who stays clean in those kind of sports, forget it, you will be left in the dust. If you are extremely talented and dedicated you might get 17th place at the Olympics.

malakas
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
It looks like the IOC has a pickle on their hands regarding one of her golds, the one in the marquee event of all she won, the womens 100 metre gold, should she be stripped of her medals:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/10/07/sohart107.xml

this is a very complicated situation now with Thanou.You know,what happened on that night of the 13th August,was never cleared..Thanou is now back in the track..I think that she was convicted not for the actual dobbing but for evading dobbing.Which of course,in the end means the same thing..I don't see though,any way of avoiding handing her the medal.

superman1
10-06-2007, 06:46 PM
How many little girls had posters of Marion Jones on their walls a few years ago? The most pathetic part is that she is still lying. She said she took it without knowing what it was. She also admits that her coach told her not to tell anyone about it. So either she is impossibly stupid, or she is just a terrible liar.

anointedone
10-06-2007, 07:55 PM
this is a very complicated situation now with Thanou.You know,what happened on that night of the 13th August,was never cleared..Thanou is now back in the track..I think that she was convicted not for the actual dobbing but for evading dobbing.Which of course,in the end means the same thing..I don't see though,any way of avoiding handing her the medal.

I think you are right. I think they will look for a loophole to get out of it, but I dont think they will be able to avoid giving Thanou the gold medal for Sydney.

What happened in Athens is bizarre beyond belief, but it is obvious what was happening there. I am surprised she even bothered to come back.

malakas
10-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I think you are right. I think they will look for a loophole to get out of it, but I dont think they will be able to avoid giving Thanou the gold medal for Sydney.

What happened in Athens is bizarre beyond belief, but it is obvious what was happening there. I am surprised she even bothered to come back.

Yes,their coach Tzekos was sentenced for handling and selling illegal substances in his gym.But Thanou and Kenteris,claimed that they had nothing to do with that,and went to trial.They also found some kind of witnesses to the "accident".It was a huge scandal because the next day,Kenteris was supposed to light the Olympic flame in the Stadium and Thanou be one of the last,ehh flame-carriers.But because of the importance of the period,it was in a way "burried" by the media,and we came back to that after August,when the spirits were calmer.Still here many ppl are not convinced that they were guilty and most don't know what to believe.
That's a sad sad sad situation for IOC.Tragelafic.

AndrewD
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM

At the 1972 Munich Olympics the Australian sprinter, Raylene Boyle, finished second (winning silver) in both the 100 and 200 metres. The winner, Renate Stecher, was proven to have used steroids yet Boyle has never received the gold medals she should have had. There's the precedent for them not awarding the gold, or any medal, retrospectively.

As to Jones' claim she unwittingly took the drugs, in 2004 her ex-husband, C.J CJ Hunter stated under oath that he had, on a number of occasions, injected her with a host of banned substances (and saw Jones inject herself) prior to the Sydney Olympics. Most people assumed that was just sour grapes (and it still could be) but, given her admission, it's a lot harder to dismiss.

Also remember that while she was still in high school Jones missed an out-of-competition drug test when it was claimed the package (test) was misplaced by a coach. She was exonerated but, regardless of whether she was innocent or not, now it just adds to the suspicion. That she was represented by Johnnie Cochran (yep, that Johnnie Cochran) also seems kind of prophetic.

Given that Jones met and married her first husband when he was a track coach at UNC, you do have to wonder just how long she was really doping (as opposed to how long she said she'd been doing it).

lambielspins
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Have the medals been redistributed yet?

malakas
11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
No.I think they postponed it for after December.

norcal
11-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of baseball players were taking performance enhancing drugs in the 90's. More and more names will come out, just watch.