PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a Wilson nCode nPro Open

Eternalmetal
10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I am kind of new to tuned tennis equipment, so I really dont know much about stringing rackets. I finally decided to invest in a new racket, so I demoed a bunch, and found myself liking this Wilson the best.

Buying the racket you like the best is only half the battle I suppose. Now when it comes to the types of strings, I really have no idea what to get. I see stuff about poly strings, and synthetic gut strings, but I honestly dont know what I would be better off using. I want a string that will provide me with durability, as I dont have much free time, so when I go play tennis, I dont want to worry about having to get my racket restrung.

So I guess with durability in mind, what would you recommend? what is going to last the longest without having to be restrung?

Eternalmetal
10-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Anyone? Im just looking for a good reliable string that wont disappoint. You guys seem to know a lot, so a few recommendations would be great. I would like to purchase my racket soon, but know nothing about which strings are good, bad, durable, or anything really. I always thought strings were strings, but I guess they matter a lot, so I want to have some input before I randomly select the coolest sounding string name from the list.

Stchamps
10-06-2007, 06:37 PM
For durability I'd go with a poly like Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L

JavierLW
10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I am kind of new to tuned tennis equipment, so I really dont know much about stringing rackets. I finally decided to invest in a new racket, so I demoed a bunch, and found myself liking this Wilson the best.

Buying the racket you like the best is only half the battle I suppose. Now when it comes to the types of strings, I really have no idea what to get. I see stuff about poly strings, and synthetic gut strings, but I honestly dont know what I would be better off using. I want a string that will provide me with durability, as I dont have much free time, so when I go play tennis, I dont want to worry about having to get my racket restrung.

So I guess with durability in mind, what would you recommend? what is going to last the longest without having to be restrung?

Depends on:

1) What sort of game do you play? Do you hit the ball hard, or are you more of a counterpuncher? Where are you at in your tennis experience?

2) You say you want durability, but how often do you break strings? (poly strings are durable, but they have high tension loss which is something to consider)

3) What kind of racquet/string were you using, if anything?

I have a 3 Wilson nSixTWo's which I feel is similar to the nPro Open, and I use anything from all Natural Gut (which is my favorite so far), to half NG / half multi, half NG / half SG, and all multi (NXT and X1 biphase).

But I play a sort of counterpunch game, and I never break strings. Ive also used multi's or something similar so for me to use a Poly would seem very harsh and wouldnt suit my style.

For someone else who uses Poly's all the time though they will hate most of my setups. So it's hard to say, you always have to consider who's the one doing the talking about a string and where they are coming from.

If you really dont want to string your racquet all the time (and you care about tension loss), you should start out with a good multi like X1 Biphase. If you think it's too soft then you can try regular SG or a Poly.

I like Natural Gut better (better ball pocketing which gives me superior control and power), but if you never try it, your pocketbook will probally thank you. (plus it has mainentence issues)

Court_Jester
10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
You didn't tell as much about your playing style or history, which is probably why you haven't gotten too many responses.

Since you're looking for durability, my first instinct is to recommend a poly but I'm somewhat hesitant to because this type of string is geared for chronic string breakers and for those with excellent tennis mechanics, as it can be very harsh on the arm. Unfortunately, deciding on a string choice is a personal thing. I read many rave reviews on a few strings around here that I personally find mediocre at best. So you have to spend some time testing a few strings.

As for recommendations, you may want to try the old standards: Prince Original Synthetic Gut or Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex (I'm not a big fan of either one, though). Me, I like Head RIP Control a lot, more so now than my old standby: Kirschbaum Competition.

Eternalmetal
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, I was looking for a durable string not because of breakage, but for longevity. I do not want to have to restring my racket often, because when I have the time to play tennis, I want to play and not go restring my racket. I just want to pick something that seems to retain reliability for a long period of time.

The kind of play I do, well, I dont know if I would call myself a power player or anything, but if I were to say anything, I would probably play a more defensive game than an offensive one, so I guess I would say that I would be more of a counterpuncher than an aggressive player. I also use a one handed backhand if that matters, I dont really know how this would affect the type of string I pick though.

My background of tennis playing is rather short, I am pretty new at the game and have been playing a matter of months, rather than years. I did take lessons back when I was about 12 (im 20 now), but after we got into a car accident on the way home, I stopped going and eventually lost interest. So the racket I have been using is just a lightweight one with the strings that came on it, so it is sort of incomparable with the racket I am going to get. I just never thought that having a better racket would really matter much until I got the opportunity to try a "players" racket. After that I was sold on getting a new racket and went searching. If you need anymore info, just ask. I would really like to order it soon.

thanks for the recommendations/info thus far.

psp2
10-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, I was looking for a durable string not because of breakage, but for longevity. I do not want to have to restring my racket often, because when I have the time to play tennis, I want to play and not go restring my racket. I just want to pick something that seems to retain reliability for a long period of time.

The kind of play I do, well, I dont know if I would call myself a power player or anything, but if I were to say anything, I would probably play a more defensive game than an offensive one, so I guess I would say that I would be more of a counterpuncher than an aggressive player. I also use a one handed backhand if that matters, I dont really know how this would affect the type of string I pick though.

My background of tennis playing is rather short, I am pretty new at the game and have been playing a matter of months, rather than years. I did take lessons back when I was about 12 (im 20 now), but after we got into a car accident on the way home, I stopped going and eventually lost interest. So the racket I have been using is just a lightweight one with the strings that came on it, so it is sort of incomparable with the racket I am going to get. I just never thought that having a better racket would really matter much until I got the opportunity to try a "players" racket. After that I was sold on getting a new racket and went searching. If you need anymore info, just ask. I would really like to order it soon.

thanks for the recommendations/info thus far.

There's nothing wrong with going to Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex (PSGw/D) 17 ga. at 58# for the NPro Open. This string will provide you with a nice crisp feel at a great price (~$20 at a local shop). If you want a bit more "playability", then talk to your local shop about good multifilament strings like Wilson NXT, Tecnifibre NRG2, Prince Premier. These will probably set you back around $30 or so.

Eternalmetal
10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I was reading the thread about natural vs synthetic gut, and most people seem to be leaning towards the natural. Would this be good to consider given my situation?

JavierLW
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I was reading the thread about natural vs synthetic gut, and most people seem to be leaning towards the natural. Would this be good to consider given my situation?

You would probally like the Natural Gut more, and it may help your game more. (more consistant response = ability to feel comfortable driving the ball more with control)

However if money is an issue, you're better off going with a multi for now because once you go to NG, you may not ever want to go back.

I played with a multi (NXT) for many years and never thought twice about it until I started experimenting.

It sounds like any sort of Poly isnt really for you. You dont NEED poly if you want to hit it hard, it just helps some people.

(and being forced to swing as hard as you can with a stiff racquet with a stiff stringbed isnt the greatest thing for someone who is new to the game and needs to develop smooth strokes)

downdaline
10-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Natural gut has excellent tension maintenance, but it'll cost u. And if u dont play tennis *that* often, it might be a waste.

I would actually second psp2 and recommend that u use something like Prince Sun Gut w/ Duraflex and see how that plays.

One habit of mine is that once i feel that my stringbed is becoming a little loose, i insert some StringSavers to crispen the stringbed a little, gives the impression and control of higher tension.

But of course, this is just my opinion.

ezdude1970
10-08-2007, 07:35 AM
i have 3 wilsons pro open myself and let me tell you for me is the best racket, i am a baseliner with a lot of forehand topspin and two handed mostly cross court backhand reliable and deep.

here is my 2 set ups plus one to come.

1. gosen polylon comfort 17 mains at #58 and gosen og micro 17 crosses #56. very nice set up you dont have to generate a lot of racket speed with this one. also had my racket set up with gosen polylon comfort 17 full poly at #58 and i liked it a lot as well nice and soft poly holds the tension well and it is only $7 on tw.

2. topspin cyberflash 17 mains at #58 and gosen og micro 17 #56 crosses. when my game is on and i am moving my feet this is the best set up, i can generate a crazzy topspin of my forehand with this set up, and it is not as forgiving as the first set up, a lot of ball are landing short if you dont hit thru the ball and not in perfect position, i would say that the second set up would be for the more advance player who can appreciate the power (or the lack of power in this case of the cyberflash). cyberflash set up is not as easy on my arm as the first set up. therefore my third racket i am going to string with

3. cyberflash 17 main at #58 and babolat superfine 17 crosses at to be decided (either 56# 58# or 60#) hopefully i will get a better combination that would be easier on my arm. any suggestions??