PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable String

hmm
10-04-2007, 08:34 PM
What is the most comfortable/softest string besides natural gut?

Steve Huff
10-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Of the several I have tried, Alpha Sphere has been the most comfortable. I've tried NXT, NRG2, BiPhase, Fibergel Power, IntelliString, TF 515, Sensation, Live Wire, Yonex 850?, LF Supreme, Gamma Professional, EMatrix and probably some more I can't think of now.

shojun25
10-05-2007, 05:18 AM
use search button please.

my opinion in this would be most multifilament, copolys like Polyfibre TCS, SPPP, and Kirshbaum Pro Line II.

hmm
10-05-2007, 08:50 PM
why do you bother posting if you're just going to tell me to search.

Steve Huff
10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Those strings are comfortable "for polyester strings", but I doubt they'd fall into the "comfort" string category. I'd go with a good ole multifilament. Truthfully, I'd go with natural gut in the mains, with something like Head Fibergel Power or Alpha Prodigy in the crosses. 2 really nice stringjobs for about about $17 each.

carac
10-06-2007, 01:03 AM

Comfort also depends on the tension that you are using (and the string pattern) - even natural gut might not be very comfortable at 70 pounds (32kgs) in a 18x20 pattern!!! So the bottom line is that you might find a string that is not very-very soft but which might allow you to string at a lower tension while keeping very good control and the result might be more comfortable than the softest string at a very high tension!
A lot of people use hybrids just for that - for instance right now I have a slight arm problem and my absolute favorite is natural gut mains + copoly crosses, but since the wet season is coming I plan on testing biphase mains + copoly crosses ...

Valjean
10-06-2007, 05:16 AM
For softest I'd probably vote for Tecnifibre's 515, an old multi standby, and Prince's Premier with Softflex, a more recent issue that feels about the same, and holds tension a bit longer. If you have arm issues to solve, however, then there are strings more directly suited for it.

ironicqueery
10-06-2007, 06:13 AM
technifibre nrg2 18 gauge

Court_Jester
10-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Because questions like this have been asked and answered many times over. New members of the boards should learn how to use the search function.

barry
10-06-2007, 06:51 AM

I have stopped using poly and moved back to Babolat Super Fine play 17, very soft, plays great, and last about 2 weeks (8 matches). It is great string and cheap!

Bundey
10-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Look no further than my signature.

Banks
10-06-2007, 09:14 AM
i agree on the xcel premium its really comfortable.

Valjean
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I have stopped using poly and moved back to Babolat Super Fine play 17, very soft, plays great, and last about 2 weeks (8 matches). It is great string and cheap!
Ha, ha! After poly *anything* would be; here's some proof of it--SFP being one of the stiffer single-wrap, solid core synthetics out there... No offense, but.

Burt Turkoglu
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM

I agree completely....can't believe some people go through the trouble to post that....lol....anyway....since my wrist problem has gone away, I was looking for something synthetic to replace my gut crosses with....I had loosely strung kevlar in the mains with it....I had a friend who had a half set of blue star which he gave to me....what the hell, I thought I'd try it in the crosses with the kevlar....well, it's been over a week now and I love it....the hit is softer than a full gut job for me....plus good power, spin and control.....I must add that my kevlar mains are at 34lbs. with the blue star at 42......it is a very comfortable set-up for me and I am playing lights out with it.....contrary to popular belief, kevlar is very soft when strung loose yet it can still control the ball.....kevlar pockets the ball nicely. In this set-up, kevlar supplies the control while the blue star supplies the comfort. One footnote....I am 4.5-5.0 doubles player who spends 90% of the time at net.

rorschack
10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I second Burt's comment on Kevlar being very soft at very low tension. The pocketing effect and ball bite are really nice too!

Hey Burt, have you tried natural gut main and kevlar cross to tame the power a bit? I am a natural gut main kind of guy and am experiencing with crosses. Since kevlar never really lose tension and natural gut is known for tension maintenance, this seem like a good setup too.

Pacific
10-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Look no further than my signature.

Yup, the Xcel Premium is a very nice choice

barry
10-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Ha, ha! After poly *anything* would be; here's some proof of it--SFP being one of the stiffer single-wrap, solid core synthetics out there... No offense, but.

You might have a point if all poly strings were created equal, but take a look at http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

Poly strings have a stiffness range of 187 to 320. The string I used was Gosen Polylon SP rated at 215. Nylon / Multi strings have a stiffness range of 136 to 242 with Babolat SFP 17 ranked 208. Very little difference between the stiffness of SP and SFP (215 verses 208). The feel and play of SFP is much softer. Kevlar on the other hand is very stiff, range is 444 to 981, I can't imagine anyone using that string, way to stiff.

The overlap between nylon and poly these days is narrowing. Many of the new poly’s play close in comfort with synthetic gut. I found SFP to be in my comfort zone. I did not find Prince Synthetic gut 17 duraflex, Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17, NXT, or many of the other string worth it. They all lost tension after 2 matches and felt stiff and dead.

Overall I give the SFP a high ranking, and SFP is very easy on the arm and shoulder. The string reminds me of Prince Synthetic gut soft which Prince discontinued.

Bottom line, all poly's are not the same and you should not assume all poly string play stiff.

Kcraig
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
As of right now--I can't imagine any SG/multi being that much better than Pro Supex Maxim Touch--especially when the price is only $6.95/per--hard to justify spenindg $12.00+ unless the ball just never goes out!!

Burt Turkoglu
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
I second Burt's comment on Kevlar being very soft at very low tension. The pocketing effect and ball bite are really nice too!

Hey Burt, have you tried natural gut main and kevlar cross to tame the power a bit? I am a natural gut main kind of guy and am experiencing with crosses. Since kevlar never really lose tension and natural gut is known for tension maintenance, this seem like a good setup too.

No....I'm sorry....never tried kevlar in the crosses with gut mains......maybe someday I'll try it but I really love the set-up I have now.....if you try it, let me know how they compare.....thanx, Burt

scotus
10-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Try Head Protector or Iso-Speed Professional.

NetSkillsRule
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
NXT is the softest I have played.

bagung
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
klip venom