PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Heaven!

Slider
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
After using full poly jobs for about a year, I've bought a stringing machine and experimented with Hybrid jobs.

Here's my experience thus far:

I've tried 2 setups:

SETUP 1: Dunlop M-fil 400 (16 x 19, 305g strung, even balance, 100 sq. in)
MAINS - Pro Supex Spiral Flex 16g (Synth. Gut) @ 60 lbs.
CROSS - Topspin Cyber Flash 17g (Poly) @ 56 lbs.

SETUP 2: Dunlop M-fil 400 (16 x 19, 305g strung, even balance, 100 sq in.)
MAINS - Topspin Cyber Flash 17g (Poly) @ 56.5 lbs.
CROSS - Pro Supex Spiral Flex 16g (Synth. Gut) @ 60.5 lbs.

I've tested both for several hours now, and here's my take on the differences between the two Hybrid setups:

SETUP 1 (Poly Crosses)
Strengths: Better feel (more control on volleys)
Easier on the arm (softer stringbed)
More spin on kick serves, and topspin serves

SETUP 2 (Poly Mains)
Strengths: More power and control on flat serves
More spin and control on ground strokes
More power and control on overheads

Between, the two, I prefer the performance of the SETUP 2 (poly main) as I'm more of a baseliner, and like hitting a heavy flat serve, but I do notice a twinge in my arm, which I don't notice in SETUP 1 (poly crosses)....

I guess it's nice to have both setups with you.

What are your guys experiences with Hybrids, and do the strengths I outlined correspond with your playtesting as well?

Also, what is a good, or recommended tension difference between the poly and the synth gut on both setups.

Looking forward to your input. - Slider.

tbini87
10-04-2007, 10:28 PM
i had similar experiences as you when i tried the same two strings in crosses-mains and mains-crosses. i personally like the poly in the mains much more, and i did not think that poly in the crosses did much for me. i like the spin that poly offers, and the lack of power (depending on string). i also started lowering the tension and really like it lower than i thought i would. i string it towards the bottom of the of the recommended tension.

bzazut
10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
How long do these setups last 4 you?
I play with M-fil 300 and i favorite the 1st setup with the Topspin Cyber Flash 17g in the cross mostly because it is easier on the arm (i have Golf's elbow), but it does not last and the synthetic gut losses tension immediately and keeps on moving when it is in the mains.

Slider
10-05-2007, 11:09 PM
How long do these setups last 4 you?
I play with M-fil 300 and i favorite the 1st setup with the Topspin Cyber Flash 17g in the cross mostly because it is easier on the arm (i have Golf's elbow), but it does not last and the synthetic gut losses tension immediately and keeps on moving when it is in the mains.

I've played a few hours with each setup, and yes, I have noticed that the poly mains setup is holding its tension much better than the synth gut mains setup. And, there does seem to be a little less string movement, although, naturally not as minimal as a full poly job. I think because of this revelation, I'll stick to poly mains for now.

mista-k
10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks for the post...was wondering about Spiral Flex for awhile now vs the Pro Supex Syn Titan...
will buy a reel of Spiral Flex now...

I have CF as mains and Rip Control as crosses on a LM radical OS...will post results asap

btw.... what stringing machine model are you using? BRAND - NAME - MODEL - USED or NEW?

Slider
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, the price of the titan and the spiral flex is $3.00 per pack, had to try some. I was told the spiral flex has more spin potential than titan, which is more like a traditional synthetic.

I'm very pleased so far blending it with cyber flash, I went 4 lbs. higher on the synth, and it seems right.

As for the stringing machine, it's an Eagnas EAG 300 (manual crank lockout tensioner) you can check it out here if you like. (my pics)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=138397&page=11

Done 6 string jobs on i so far, and am very pleased with the results.

But I must say, the gun metal grey color of the synthetic gut Titan is fantastic.

mista-k
10-08-2007, 07:33 PM
EAG 300 is a great machine as Ive read from the threads...

just ordered a reel of spiral flex...hope Ill like it if not Ill string for friends...good feedback from it anyways...;)