PDA

View Full Version : golf and tennis

ProStaff Legend
10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
do u think that playing golf will possibly ruin ones tennis strokes?

Zets147
10-04-2007, 09:35 PM
no, in order to get good, you have to get both golfer's elbow and tennis elbow.

tennispro11
10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

No, not at all. But, in order to be good at golf, you have to practice more, IMO, than tennis. A good friend of mine who shoots mid 70's wherever he plays practices everyday for a few hours. On the weekends he lives at the course. Golf is really fun though. Take a 12 pack with you or sneak some liquor on the course and you will have a good time. ;)

BillH
10-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Some basic similarities - relaxed arms, relaxed swing, transfer of weight from back to front when swinging, keep eye on ball through swing, etc, etc.

bdog
10-05-2007, 06:50 AM

Yes it can, if you take time away from tennis and learn golf (more of a slight change than ruin). Any time you develop different muscles other than the ones used for tennis, you increase the chance of using those muscles for tennis (this is true in all sports). It can slightly change your swing in ways you don't notice. The best way to overcome this is to work at both sports at the same time. Not to mention you are retraining your mind as well as your body. How you perceive a golf swing is different from tennis.

LuckyR
10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
The most important thing in tennis is footwork and golf doesn't really have that since the ball is always stationary when struck. Also tennis is about timing, and again golf doesn't have that since you can take as much time as you want.

Really unrelated to one another in just about every way.

fuzz nation
10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I've applied a few ideas on swing mechanics from one game to the other. Golf taught me not to bury my grip in the palm of my hand so I can swing more loosely, while tennis gave me the better grasp of rotating through the swing and using my legs and core. I really don't see them conflicting for me other than sometimes for golf, my weight gets out on my toes sometimes and makes me slice.

I agree that golf teaches you a really good excuse for tennis, though. At least on the court, the ball is moving.

jorel
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM

golf sux.....tennis is king

desilvam
10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Some basic similarities - relaxed arms, relaxed swing, transfer of weight from back to front when swinging, keep eye on ball through swing, etc, etc.

Other parallels:
tennis serve = a golf drive
tennis ground strokes = hitting your irons to the green
tennis volleys = short game (putting, bunker play, and pitching)

:D